Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,794 members, 7,820,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. (2299 Views)

UK Rejects Consignment Of Agric Produce From Nigeria / Become Uber Of Agric business Partner - Those In Lagos ONLY / Frustration Of Many Young Agropreneur/entrepreneur....sehgatehub (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2016
Lemme start by saying I graduated from one of the federal universities of technology in this country, during my admission process, I had to choose between microbiology and animal production & health. After weighing my numerous options I opted for APH. (Popularly nicknamed as animal pursue hunter. I didn't have a problem taking that decision, cos I had friends who were MCB graduates then, most of which were having unemployment issues, I was convinced that as an agric graduate, I'll do well and stand alone without having to rely on anyone for jobs. Lo and behold, after graduation, that's when I know it's a difficult phase. I've always looked up to big farm establishments whose activities cuts across production, processing, feed milling and so on, these farms have made good names for themselves, hoping that one day I'll also be making such growth in the industry. (dream still on point though)
But truth be told, as a person from a from an average Nigerian family, the problem is the same as almost everybody "MONEY". willing to start up a farm but the funds aren't there, and I know you may wanna advise me to start small, starting with 500birds for layers production will require about #1.5M, that's excluding the land factor of production and some other equipment o.
So the solution I see is getting a job, working for a little time (say for a year or two) , BUT THATS THE FRUSTRATING PART. we agric graduates rarely get good jobs, you probably get a farm supervisor job or managerial job of 35 to 45k range. Although I'm aware that there are some good offer farm jobs as well as graduate trainee offer that are juicy, but we all know they are rare/Uncommon. What's common are the one man farm owners who pay tips and use someone like rain water. Even some of the so called big farms are not encouraging, imagine after going through a difficult and rigorous exam (4sections paper) in one of the largest and most respected farms in Nigeria, I was embarrassed the salary is 45k. I mean with their status I expected more. It's really disturbing this is the story of most agric graduates, many of my colleagues who are tired of the situation delve into other sectors, but for me and other agric lovers like me, we still have raised hope in the agric sector, despite the plans of the Nation on diversifying, it's still not easy for we agric graduates. So to all farm owners there, please treat your staffs well and please pay well. I'm still open to good job offers. Thanks for going through my long epistle. MYTOCHONDRIA.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by rerhji(m): 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2016
and u got frustrated no b only hunter animal pursue ....plus H.O.D
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 6:26pm On Oct 15, 2016
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Newbeginnings(m): 6:40pm On Oct 15, 2016
MONEY

Don't you dare complain to me about money... Don't you dare.. There are hundreds of investors possible in Nigeria looking for sharp minds, business ideas to invest in and here you are wasting an idea

Or do you even have one

Are you trying to build a farm that everyone has just built and market (doing what everyone else has done) then why do you think investors will leave others who are already doing same to invest in you if you are just planning to do the same thing all over again.

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Cessa0(f): 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2016
i feel bfor anyone wud agree to go into ds field, der must be a backup plan. u cnt tell me u went to sch nd of all d courses, its agric u wnt to study.. nd u had no backup plan no nah...

dnt be offended o, m nt criticizing ur field o.. m only saying, bfor going into any field, u shud av weighed ur chances... especially in ds kind of our economy. ... May God make t easy for u
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by cheekyleggy: 11:02pm On Oct 15, 2016
start small and grow big
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Nicogen4us(f): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2016
papilo90:
Lemme start by saying I graduated from one of the federal universities of technology in this country, during my admission process, I had to choose between microbiology and animal production & health. After weighing my numerous options I opted for APH. (Popularly nicknamed as animal pursue hunter. I didn't have a problem taking that decision, cos I had friends who were MCB graduates then, most of which were having unemployment issues, I was convinced that as an agric graduate, I'll do well and stand alone without having to rely on anyone for jobs. Lo and behold, after graduation, that's when I know it's a difficult phase. I've always looked up to big farm establishments whose activities cuts across production, processing, feed milling and so on, these farms have made good names for themselves, hoping that one day I'll also be making such growth in the industry. (dream still on point though)
But truth be told, as a person from a from an average Nigerian family, the problem is the same as almost everybody "MONEY". willing to start up a farm but the funds aren't there, and I know you may wanna advise me to start small, starting with 500birds for layers production will require about #1.5M, that's excluding the land factor of production and some other equipment o.
So the solution I see is getting a job, working for a little time (say for a year or two) , BUT THATS THE FRUSTRATING PART. we agric graduates rarely get good jobs, you probably get a farm supervisor job or managerial job of 35 to 45k range. Although I'm aware that there are some good offer farm jobs as well as graduate trainee offer that are juicy, but we all know they are rare/Uncommon. What's common are the one man farm owners who pay tips and use someone like rain water. Even some of the so called big farms are not encouraging, imagine after going through a difficult and rigorous exam (4sections paper) in one of the largest and most respected farms in Nigeria, I was embarrassed the salary is 45k. I mean with their status I expected more. It's really disturbing this is the story of most agric graduates, many of my colleagues who are tired of the situation delve into other sectors, but for me and other agric lovers like me, we still have raised hope in the agric sector, despite the plans of the Nation on diversifying, it's still not easy for we agric graduates. So to all farm owners there, please treat your staffs well and please pay well. I'm still open to good job offers. Thanks for going through my long epistle. MYTOCHONDRIA.
I will say the problem most of you animal scientist graduate is having is that 80% of you that went to university you only have what is known as LACRAM LAPOUR certificate and most of the companies out there need an impacter to their company for improvement.i have many of you in my training school who can not ordinary Debeakfowl, deform, formulate feed to nutritional standard or who can not identified infection without go back to those average copied note of yours in school.What I will advise you to do is to start a backyard farming of either 20-50pieces if you cannot get trained in any where and put yourself into enough practical of experience or swallow the graduate pride in most of you and learn in any close farm by not looking for big payment now and latter achieve what will make you outstanding others. Companies on agroallied will never take someone they will spoon feed in manyways to their company despite the fact that they will have to pay you rather the one that will improve their production output and less production input with the same standard.
best of luck in your hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Turks: 8:26am On Oct 16, 2016
All I can do is laugh right now. @OP Only dull people whine the way you are doing right now. There are series of opportunities I n the agric industry waiting to be taappend into and you're here crying of frustration like a little girl having her menstrual flow for the first time.

The truth is bitter, but needs to be said. You had better get out there and become self employed! No one's going to look out for you except you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by zazua: 8:53am On Oct 16, 2016
Bros. D truth is bitter but it's not going to change bc farmers don't make as much as you think. I was like u before n learnt under different farms while gathering experience n experience. I made mistakes and ALOT OF it but it made me a beta fish consultant after over 10yrs.wat it seems I lost am now gotten over and over. No regrets. U need to start small n grow. Don't demand for big pay bc u are not practically qualified and dats y d pay u wat d pay u. Don't grumble. Am a lecturer n all d University and polytechnic teach is how to setup ur lecturer n punch holes in all d do and complain and ds has made u guys lazy n brain dead. U only see problem n not solutions. U worry wt all tins thinking dat u are still in school and expecting to be spoonfed.u did agric go to farm. Start farming at d back of ur house n develop ur skill. Build practical steps n keep to URSELF bc dats ur meal tickets

1 Like

Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 8:03pm On Oct 16, 2016
Nicogen4us:

I will say the problem most of you animal scientist graduate is having is that 80% of you that went to university you only have what is known as LACRAM LAPOUR certificate and most of the companies out there need an impacter to their company for improvement.i have many of you in my training school who can not ordinary Debeakfowl, deform, formulate feed to nutritional standard or who can not identified infection without go back to those average copied note of yours in school.What I will advise you to do is to start a backyard farming of either 20-50pieces if you cannot get trained in any where and put yourself into enough practical of experience or swallow the graduate pride in most of you and learn in any close farm by not looking for big payment now and latter achieve what will make you outstanding others. Companies on agroallied will never take someone they will spoon feed in manyways to their company despite the fact that they will have to pay you rather the one that will improve their production output and less production input with the same standard.
best of luck in your hustle.

You're absolutely right but I'm not one of such lacram lapour you think I am, I'm not bluffing here but you need know I got a certificate I can defend any day. Not just on theoretical grounds, but practical grounds, yeah some of us may be that way, but we aren't the same, all these things you stated above that some of us can't do! There's none of it that I can't do. I would have given you proofs if you need them, but I guess I don't have anything to prove to you. If you still in doubts, pls contact me I'll show you. Thanks for the advice though.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Nicogen4us(f): 8:19pm On Oct 16, 2016
papilo90:

You're absolutely right but I'm not one of such lacram lapour you think I am, I'm not bluffing here but you need know I got a certificate I can defend any day. Not just on theoretical grounds, but practical grounds, yeah some of us may be that way, but we aren't the same, all these things you stated above that some of us can't do! There's none of it that I can't do. I would have given you proofs if you need them, but I guess I don't have anything to prove to you. If you still in doubts, pls contact me I'll show you. Thanks for the advice though.
if that should be the case,you don't have any reason to complain and there is no need to get job from any company before you get something done for yourself in this Eran of self employed.Even you can do alot if you know what you study very well.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 8:36pm On Oct 16, 2016
Nicogen4us:

if that should be the case,you don't have any reason to complain and there is no need to get job from any company before you get something done for yourself in this Eran of self employed.Even you can do alot if you know what you study very well.

Exactly, plans are in place to start up, but I've been looking for places to work before mine kicks off ( you kno not just for the money, but I'm a person that never relents on getting more experience) but nothing really good, I worked with a few farms and I was amazed that they don't even appreciate it despite seeing the experience. That's the reason for the word FRUSTRATION.
Thanks a lot for your word of advice.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by Nicogen4us(f): 8:47pm On Oct 16, 2016
papilo90:

Exactly, plans are in place to start up, but I've been looking for places to work before mine kicks off ( you kno not just for the money, but I'm a person that never relents on getting more experience) but nothing really good, I worked with a few farms and I was amazed that they don't even appreciate it despite seeing the experience. That's the reason for the word FRUSTRATION.
Thanks a lot for your word of advice.
if you know you can stand without any fear of failure you don't need working with anyone again, just adjust your plan and start something regard less of any circumstances.Is even good at this period of recession to have good foundation. best of luck

1 Like

Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by lapo(m): 5:26am On Oct 17, 2016
Farm Manager is needed. Good experience in food and cash crops vital. Contact/send your cv to lapodeji@yahoo.com within 2 weeks of this notice. Thanks.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 8:28am On Oct 17, 2016
lapo:
Farm Manager is needed. Good experience in food and cash crops vital. Contact/send your cv to lapodeji@yahoo.com within 2 weeks of this notice. Thanks.

Thank you sir, I appreciate your concern. But I'm not an expert in cash crops, I'm an animal scientist. I'm grateful.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
@Op:

I understand you.

Call/WhatsApp me: 07011027713, let's talk
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by papilo90(m): 11:07am On Nov 24, 2016
TheUnbeatable:
@Op:

I understand you.

Call/WhatsApp me: 07011027713, let's talk

Thank you so much the Unbeatable.
Re: Frustration Of Agric Graduates Like Myself. by pounds2(m): 7:01am On Nov 29, 2016
The problem with most people is that they cannot deliver or work without supervision. its not about earning huge salary... Its about what you can bring on. When we interview people here, we usually ask the question and offer to give them open cheques if they promise to increase profitability by X percent.

If i have a farm that is raking in 500,000 a month and i have bills to pay. I show you may book and ask if you can triple it 6-12 months and we negotiate a price. But it usually never turns out well. Sadly.

(1) (Reply)

Best Price For Bag Of dry Cassava And Bag Of Guinea Corn Aka Sorghum / I Can Supply And Source For Sesame Seed, Millet,sorghum In Very Large Quantities / 300 Point Of Lay Layers For Sale In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.