Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,818 members, 7,817,383 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble (2096 Views)

Happiness: 7 Bible Verses On How To Live A Joyful Life / 10 Bible Verses To Read On OVERCOMING TRIALS / 10 Bible Verses On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Thisis2raw(m): 1:00am On Oct 18, 2016
Colossians 3:12 - "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
Gentleness and humility is something that the Bible encourages all Children of God to possess and work towards.
While most people view these qualities as bad things, God wants us to embody these in spite of what people might say.

Here are 10 Bible verses that tell us why we should be gentle and humble and what we gain from possessing them.
1. Zephaniah 2:3; "Seek the LORD, All you humble of the earth Who have carried out His ordinances; Seek righteousness, seek humility Perhaps you will be hidden In the day of the LORD'S anger."

2. Matthew 11:29; "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS."

3. Matthew 5:5; "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth."

4. Isaiah 66:2; "For My hand made all these things, Thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD "But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word."

5. Philippians 2:3; "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."

6. Romans 12:16; "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited."

7. James 4:10; "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up."

8. James 3:13; "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom."

9. 2 Chronicles 7:14; "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

10. Micah 6:8; "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 1:05am On Oct 18, 2016
The bible has some great philosophical verses in it, the problem is when people proclaim it is a divine word

1 Like

Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Ranchhoddas: 1:51am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:
The bible has some great philosophical verses in it, the problem is when people proclaim it is a divine word
How do you know it isn't divine? Would you recognize divinity in words if you happened upon it?
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 3:30am On Oct 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How do you know it isn't divine? Would you recognize divinity in words if you happened upon it?
There are superior writings by Plato and co both preceding the first Hebrew texts and after the New Testament scriptures. Divine to me, would mean coming from God and should be superior to anything men can come up with, i do not see that with the Bible or any holy book. The bible has good philosophical quotes but i see no indication that it is God's word or that it has an ultimate truth especially that it seems in line with what would have been written in those eras.
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by chiedu7: 4:21am On Oct 18, 2016
But OP, I thought that to be peaceful meant blowing people up!
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Ranchhoddas: 7:05am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

There are superior writings by Plato and co both preceding the first Hebrew texts and after the New Testament scriptures. Divine to me, would mean coming from God and should be superior to anything men can come up with, i do not see that with the Bible or any holy book. The bible has good philosophical quotes but i see no indication that it is God's word or that it has an ultimate truth especially that it seems in line with what would have been written in those eras.
How does one measure superiority of writing?
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 7:58am On Oct 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How does one measure superiority of writing?
You would measure it taking into account well though out statements using reason to explore the human condition. In addition to that we also take into account the ethics espoused by the writing ,the depth and range they go into. Biblical authors could not find it within themselves to condemn enslavement of people or propose a system of government. Plato's works were written over 4 centuries before the new testament yet it is still superior in these aspects to anything produced by any religion. We can learn all sorts of things from different sources, no one book can be given a special claim to divinity, in fact no book
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Ranchhoddas: 8:11am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

You would measure it taking into account well though out statements using reason to explore the human condition. In addition to that we also take into account the ethics espoused by the writing ,the depth and range they go into. Biblical authors could not find it within themselves to condemn enslavement of people or propose a system of government. Plato's works were written over 4 centuries before the new testament yet it is still superior in these aspects to anything produced by any religion. We can learn all sorts of things from different sources, no one book can be given a special claim to divinity, in fact no book
Human ethics? Human standards? Why would you measure the Divine using your own standards of morality? Have you ever considered that divine standards might just be different?
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 8:52am On Oct 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Human ethics? Human standards? Why would you measure the Divine using your own standards of morality? Have you ever considered that divine standards might just be different?
Well, that is the point i would expect them to be different but i do not see them in any religious writing, they all fit right in line with the morality of that time.
For example, in ancient Middle-East it was considered normal to enslave out-groups, wage unprovoked wars to gain land wiping out entire tribes of people and we see how the Old Testament has no problem with that. New testament comes around and there is heavy influence from Greek philosophers and their schools of thought, and you see how the Bible changes its tone to fit with the times.
If there is a form of divinity anywhere i do not see any evidence of it in any religious creed
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Ranchhoddas: 9:08am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

Well, that is the point i would expect them to be different but i do not see them in any religious writing, they all fit right in line with the morality of that time.
For example, in ancient Middle-East it was considered normal to enslave out-groups, wage unprovoked wars to gain land wiping out entire tribes of people and we see how the Old Testament has no problem with that. New testament comes around and there is heavy influence from Greek philosophers and their schools of thought, and you see how the Bible changes its tone to fit with the times.
If there is a form of divinity anywhere i do not see any evidence of it in any religious creed
The Bible in its entirety is not exactly the same with any piece of literature anywhere. So how do you know for sure that that's not what the Divine entails?
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 9:39am On Oct 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
The Bible in its entirety is not exactly the same with any piece of literature anywhere. So how do you know for sure that that's not what the Divine entails?
No piece of literature can be exactly the same, individuals write them and of course they will differ. The bible does not exactly stand out from other works of literature, it has new ideas but nothing really seems to prove the claim that it makes to being 'God breathed'.
How can a work of divinity be indistinguishable or even inferior to other works of literature. The similarities between the stories and characters in the Bible and those from previous mythologies are both undeniable and well-documented.
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by Ranchhoddas: 9:49am On Oct 18, 2016
SirShifty:

No piece of literature can be exactly the same, individuals write them and of course they will differ. The bible does not exactly stand out from other works of literature, it has new ideas but nothing really seems to prove the claim that it makes to being 'God breathed'.
How can a work of divinity be indistinguishable or even inferior to other works of literature. The similarities between the stories and characters in the Bible and those from previous mythologies are both undeniable and well-documented.
My point exactly. Indistinguishable to you!!
Re: What To Read: 10 Bible Verses On Being Gentle And Humble by SirShifty: 10:13am On Oct 18, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
My point exactly. Indistinguishable to you!!
Why would i not be not be able to tell if something is divine when compared to other works of literature, it should be clear as day to anyone if the source of the writing is from a mystic source then i would expect an unparalleled production

(1) (Reply)

This Post Made Me Have A Deep Thought About Religion [PHOTOS] / Donald Trump Vs Islam Is An ILLUSION Like Superman Vs Muhammad Ali. / The Coming Of Jesus As A Warlord - Food for thought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.