Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market (1116 Views)

Oil Prices Soar As OPEC+ Prepares To Cut Supplies / Naira Gains, Dollar Crashes At Parallel Market / Speculators Lose N100m As CBN Pumps Dollars Into Interbank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Anasko(m): 8:00am On Oct 18, 2016
The interbank lending rates which is the rate at which banks lend amongst themselves soared to an all time high of 128 per cent from 70 per cent last week Friday after banks funded their accounts to participate in a currency forward, even as the value of the naira gained strength at the parallel market.
The naira which sold around N460 to the dollar at the weekend closed yesterday stronger at N455, although bureau de change operators said the value had reached around N440 during the day.
The naira also closed stronger at the interbank market on the back of interventions by the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) and a cash crunch which hit the financial system. Overnight interbank rate soared to a record high of 128 per cent yesterday on naira cash shortages having opened the day at 100 per cent, traders said.
The money market had ended on Friday with no deals as commercial lenders held onto naira to be able to participate in the auction and overnight rate had closed Friday around 70 per cent from 14 per cent which it was on Thursday.
At the interbank market, the naira sold at N305.5 to the dollar, the highest in the last two months. Traders said the apex bank, which has been selling dollars regularly to prop up the currency, sold around $1.5 million towards the close of trade yesterday after the market was open for nearly four hours with no deals.
Traders said the CBN held a dollar forward auction last week Friday to clear a backlog of demand from airlines, manufacturers and other companies, as the country’s currency crisis deepened. Result of the auction was yet to be published

http://leadership.ng/business/555014/interbank-rates-soar-as-naira-firms-at-parallel-market

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:07am On Oct 18, 2016
We shall overcome one day
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by BALLOSKI: 8:08am On Oct 18, 2016
This their latest intervention seems to be working magic.

Before new year , if it continues like this, Naira would have gone back to 200/1$.

buhari my doctor!

1 Like

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by modath(f): 8:09am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:

Before new year , if it continues like this, Naira would have gone back to 200/1$.

You are kidding right? grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by BALLOSKI: 8:14am On Oct 18, 2016
modath:

You are kidding right? grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
well , since they started giving out forex through travelex , it seems the Naira is gaining strength by #10 every week (from #500 at parallel market to 440) , so you can see where my assumption is building up from. If they don't allow the thieves to hijack this intervention and cause scarcity and speculation, I think this should do the magic.
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 18, 2016
it gradually going down.
Buhari why na?
are you still there?
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:23am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:

buhari my doctor!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by BALLOSKI: 8:26am On Oct 18, 2016
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by modath(f): 8:29am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:
well , since they started giving out forex through travelex , it seems the Naira is gaining strength by #10 every week (from #500 at parallel market to 440) , so you can see where my assumption is building up from. If they don't allow the thieves to hijack this intervention and cause scarcity and speculation, I think this should do the magic.

Which magic a country totally import dependent with oil selling at rock bottom price? For this una consumptive non productive obodo? I agree!! grin

The best we can hope for is between 350-400... CBN just did 2months forward (can't really explain cos I understand just in layman's opinion but not very deeply) for manufacturers hence no naira liquidity...

Just wait for the effect of bank's stopping their cards from forex denominated transactions..

989900 , come and use economic explanation take torchlight this..

1 Like

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2016
Call me when we get to N296/$
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 18, 2016
BALLOSKI:

buhari my doctor!

Now this is outright comedy. Naira 200 by new year? Go use your hand push am now.

By next week, it would shoot back to around 465 (at least) when people start sourcing for dollars in the BB due to deactivated cards.

With the festivities coming, more pressure! The good thing is that airlines now have concessions to clear debt using Interbank MR, and manufacturers have gotten something. Else!!!
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by 989900D: 9:10am On Oct 18, 2016
modath:

Which magic a country totally import dependent with oil selling at rock bottom price? For this una consumptive non productive obodo? I agree!! grin

The best we can hope for is between 350-400... CBN just did 2months forward (can't really explain cos I understand just in layman's opinion but not very deeply) for manufacturers hence no naira liquidity...

Just wait for the effect of bank's stopping their cards from forex denominated transactions..

My other ID has been sent to the "azher room" by mods, Mo'.

Well, like you said 300-400 looks more practical for now till there is increase in oil production, and hopefully close to $60/barrel Brent.

That said, the recent N400 plus dollar is largely due to saboteur, hoarding, speculating, and general racketeering of which the banks are major players in collaboration with some CBN staff who actually do own some of the BDCs. Then we have the small and big time hoarders and round trippers. A lot would depend on how the CBN checkmates this.

At the moment, $15,000*week*3,000 BDCs is already working in just roughly a week of commencement, if the earlier recommended $50,000 or more*week*3,000 BDCs can be done ($600m per month of the projected $2.9b thereabout per month expected from diaspora remittance), it will bring the rates to well under N380, actually less, depending on some other factors i.e. CBN's proactive response, hoarder's response to their falling stock, and some other factors.

On the longer term, if the rice and general agric initiatives yield positively, and if the over $100b in investment commitments Kachikwu, Adeosun, and Emefiele got from their trips to Asia, Europe, and North America would trickle in (a 40 member delegation from China should be in the country any moment this October to put their money where their mouth is), and we can have some of our assets sold or leased soon enough, it will help MASSIVELY with the Naira situation going forward.

We need investments in our Oil and Gas sector, Rail, Power, Housing, Roads, Agric, Car manufacturing and other Manufacturing to make the Naira practically strong.

Ultimately, our best hope (considering how good we are at making simple stuffs be rocket science) of getting out of the woods while we figure other exports bringing in Forex is, Dangote refineries and Fertilizer plant and power plant, the other refinery in Akwa Ibom, NNPC leased or PPP refineries, the other ones coming up in Okolola and Ogun state which all combined, can refine over 1.4 million barrels of crude; enough to eliminate our Forex needs for refined fuel with a lot more to spare for exports (earning Forex from refined fuel export) -- that will be our major game changer -- that, with the earlier listed, can bring the Naira to as low as N100 to $1.
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 18, 2016
cedaraustine:

Now this is outright comedy. Naira 200 by new year? Go use your hand push am now.

By next week, it would shoot back to around 465 (at least) when people start sourcing for dollars in the BB due to deactivated cards.

With the festivities coming, more pressure! The good thing is that airlines now have concessions to clear debt using Interbank MR, and manufacturers have gotten something. Else!!!

Also, I read that India is out to help us with possibly $15 Billion in upfront crude purchase. This is a big deal! However, Niger Delta militants might frustrate this if they make IOCs declare a force majeure.

These are the kind of deals that truly change our fate in the short term. With better policies we can get out of the recession faster but as an import-dependent nation, pls expect no magic overnight.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 18, 2016
I hope and pray it drops more
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by ryanfci: 9:38am On Oct 18, 2016
Calling all business owners

Here at FCI in London we have the ability now to send your payments in USD or other required currencies in 2-3 days to suppliers.

We are an FCA regulated company, and our relationship with Standard Charter Bank means we can move the equivalent of $5million USD per day.

N424/1USD - Our rate is currently better than the black market rate so if you are looking for a legitimate, regulated process to move your Naira then contact me on ryan.williams@fci-ltd.co.uk

Enjoy your day, look forward to speaking soon.

Ryan
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by modath(f): 10:03am On Oct 18, 2016
989900D:

My other ID has been sent to the "azher room" by mods, Mo'.

Well, like you said 300-400 looks more practical for now till there is increase in oil production, and hopefully close to $60/barrel Brent.

That said, the recent N400 plus dollar is largely due to saboteur, hoarding, speculating, and general racketeering of which the banks are major players in collaboration with some CBN staff who actually do own some of the BDCs. Then we have the small and big time hoarders and round trippers. A lot would depend on how the CBN checkmates this.

At the moment, $15,000*week*3,000 BDCs is already working in just roughly a week of commencement, if the earlier recommended $50,000 or more*week*3,000 BDCs can be done ($600m per month of the projected $2.9b thereabout per month expected from diaspora remittance), it will bring the rates to well under N380, actually less, depending on some other factors i.e. CBN's proactive response, hoarder's response to their falling stock, and some other factors.

On the longer term, if the rice and general agric initiatives yield positively, and if the over $100b in investment commitments Kachikwu, Adeosun, and Emefiele got from their trips to Asia, Europe, and North America would trickle in (a 40 member delegation from China should be in the country any moment this October to put their money where their mouth is), and we can have some of our assets sold or leased soon enough, it will help MASSIVELY with the Naira situation going forward.

We need investments in our Oil and Gas sector, Rail, Power, Housing, Roads, Agric, Car manufacturing and other Manufacturing to make the Naira practically strong.

Ultimately, our best hope (considering how good we are at making simple stuffs be rocket science) of getting out of the woods while we figure other exports bringing in Forex is, Dangote refineries and Fertilizer plant and power plant, the other refinery in Akwa Ibom, NNPC leased or PPP refineries, the other ones coming up in Okolola and Ogun state which all combined, can refine over 1.4 million barrels of crude; enough to eliminate our Forex needs for refined fuel with a lot more to spare for exports (earning Forex from refined fuel export) -- that will be our major game changer -- that, with the earlier listed, can bring the Naira to as low as N100 to $1.

See as you type epistle dey wait for me! cheesy

One sure thing I know is that oil price must come up small, the rest na just band aid.

2 Likes

Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by 989900D: 10:06am On Oct 18, 2016
modath:

See as you type epistle dey wait for me! cheesy

One sure thing I know is that oil price must come up small, the rest na just band aid.

The irony Mo' is, if oil prices keep increasing, and we still import refined fuel, it is going be a problem on the one side for us.
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by BALLOSKI: 11:36am On Oct 18, 2016
modath:

grin grin grin Even me sef need am all this economic English wey sabi confuse person.
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by BALLOSKI: 11:41am On Oct 18, 2016
cedaraustine:

now , this got me laughing. grin

Well I hope the pressure doesn't come. Let's be positive.
Re: Interbank Rates Soar As Naira Firms At Parallel Market by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2016
cedaraustine:

Bump.

Back to N465-470/$1 as predicted.
The pressure is just too much.

(1) (Reply)

Strictly For Students, Youth Corp Members And The Unemployed!!! / Turn Cosmestics Into Money! / Solutions To Economic Recession In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.