Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar (2783 Views)

Stock Market Suffers N280 Billion Loss In One Week / When The Naira Was Stronger Than US Dollar (Throwback) / Naira Improves To N485 Against US Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
The Nigerian currency, the Naira is inching towards the N280 to the dollar opening rate at the Financial Markets Dealers Qoute (FMDQ).

The naira on Wednesday closed at N304.75 to the dollar at the official interbank market from N305 recorded on Tuesday.

At the Bureau De Change (BDC) window, the naira exchanged at N385 to the dollar, while the pound sterling and the Euro traded at N550 and N504, respectively.

Trading at the parallel market saw the naira exchanging at N450, N545 and N495 to the dollar, pound sterling and the Euro, respectively.

Traders at the market expressed optimism that the licensing of additional 20 International Money Transfer Operators (IMTO) would bring more liquidity to the market.

NAN reports that in a bid to conserve the nation’s foreign reserve and to liberalise the foreign exchange market, the CBN is interfacing with IMTOs to sell the proceeds of Diaspora remittances to BDCs.

The decision of the CBN has borne very positive fruits as the naira continues to appreciate at the forex market.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/naira-inches-n280-per-us-dollar/

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by bigtt76(f): 1:40pm On Oct 20, 2016
This is just a supply induced respite. For God's sake, the naira's true value is dependent on the country's exports and not from hand outs by the diaspora.

Don't forget that the diaspora helped bring down the value unintentionally because everyone was trying to cash in on the high dollar to naira exchange rate. With these rates crashing, trust me the inflows too will drop. This in turn will lead to the situation we were in before angry

7 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2016
Ok
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:42pm On Oct 20, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 20, 2016
Are we supposed to celebrate?
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by DIKEnaWAR: 1:46pm On Oct 20, 2016
Quick measures are like quick sand. They wait for your leg to dig deeper, before collapsing on you.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by babyfaceafrica: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2016
wailers will still wail
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:47pm On Oct 20, 2016
bigtt76:
This is just a supply induced respite. For God's sake, the naira's true value is dependent on the country's exports and not from hand outs by the diaspora.

Don't forget that the diaspora helped bring down the value unintentionally because everyone was trying to cash in on the high dollar to naira exchange rate. With these rates crashing, trust me the inflows too will drop. This in turn will lead to the situation we were in before angry

I disagree at the bold! The so called remittance is not up to 2% of forex transactions..
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:48pm On Oct 20, 2016
[s]
Princewilla:
Are we supposed to celebrate?
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Progressive01(m): 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2016
This is gonna be just another temporary respite. We'd get to where we ought to be when and only when we grow our local economy to an extent it becomes export/production based rather than import/consumer based as it is today.

Whatever it is, a slight decline in the value of the dollar would give consumers' wallets some rest as per the cost of goods out there- what we all need at the moment.

God help us.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:50pm On Oct 20, 2016
[s]
DIKEnaWAR:
Quick measures are like quick sand. They wait for your leg to dig deeper, before collapsing on you.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by kcnwaigbo: 1:50pm On Oct 20, 2016
lets hope that happens and brings respite to the economy!!! the current inflataion rate is killing.
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
Clerverly:
[s][/s]

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 1:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
kcnwaigbo:
lets hope that happens and brings respite to the economy!!! the current inflataion rate is killing.

Trust me, the true Value of the naira is between 280 to 300 naira to a dollar, every other thing is artificially fixed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by kcnwaigbo: 1:55pm On Oct 20, 2016
Clerverly:

Trust me, the true Value of the naira is between 280 to 300 naira to a dollar, every other thing is artificially fixed!

that is what the real value should have been.I wonder why it is taking the government so long to fix it.Lets hope they get it right,the current inflation is just too much
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Clerverly: 2:04pm On Oct 20, 2016
kcnwaigbo:

that is what the real value should have been.I wonder why it is taking the government so long to fix it.Lets hope they get it right,the current inflation is just too much

Yea, the Value of naira was artificially driven down by following factors:

The wholesale and hasty ban of 41 commodities without close subsitutes.

The scrapping of BDC.

The stories and tales of recessiion which were exaggerated by the media..

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 20, 2016
Useless currency embarassed

According to FMDQ OTC FX Futures Contracts Quotes as @ Oct. 20, 2016 to last till July 2017 is N250/$ grin grin grin
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by plaetton: 2:21pm On Oct 20, 2016
Silly propaganda.

I can't help laughing at the article.

In which other country in the world , even third world basket cases, do we have 3 different exchange rates for the same currency in the same country ? shocked

N304 is for whom or which sector of the economy ?

N385 is for whom or which sector of the economy ?

N450 is for whom or which sector of the economy ?

I can only shake my head . undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by modath(f): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2016
Clerverly:

For where, nor dey drink dat kain koolaid oo. it's more in tandem with what moneygram/western union pay out.... 350+ smiley

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by CandyDiamond(f): 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2016
plaetton:
Silly propaganda.

In which other country in the world , even third world basket cases, do we have 3 different exchange rates for the same currency in the same country ? shocked

N304 is for presidency and it allies
N385 is for state government,top government officials and sycophants with connections
N450 is for the masses, this rate control the market forces which result to hyperinflation in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by 989900D: 5:05pm On Oct 20, 2016
bigtt76:

Inflow generally increases towards December. That said, even when the rate was N160-200 in 2014, the inflow was almost $20b per annum. The expected inflow this year though, is projected to exceed $30b slightly due to your reason (the emboldened), more Nigerians overseas sending money home than say 3-4 years ago, and SOS calls from home due to the comatose economy. Mind you, those overseas still need to work to get the money, pay bills, and e.t.c.

I need to add too that, as the FMDQ market progresses and more foreign investments (portfolio and real/FDI) are sought, there would be increased inflow, maybe not on the scale we would want, but there would be progressive increase in inflows, no matter how little. Also, the more the BM closes in with the 'interbank' the less unofficial inflows we would have, giving some boost to funds trickling in via official channels.

ATM, of the 'projected' estimated average inflow of $2.9b per month from diaspora remittance, less than $200m is currently being sold to BDCs per month, actually less than $150m.

To topic: I don't see any '280' in the article, bar the heading.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by 989900D: 5:29pm On Oct 20, 2016
The below is a cut from my comment on another thread, on my outlook going forward . . .

On the longer term, if the rice and general agric initiatives yield positively, and if the over $100b in investment commitments Kachikwu, Adeosun, and Emefiele got from their trips to Asia, Europe, and North America would trickle in (a 40 member delegation from China should be in the country any moment this October to put their money where their mouth is), and we can have some of our assets sold or leased soon enough, it will help MASSIVELY with the economy and the Naira situation going forward.

We need investments in our Oil and Gas sector, Rail, Power, Housing, Roads, Agric, Car manufacturing and other Manufacturing to make the economy and the Naira practically strong.

Ultimately, our best hope (considering how good we are at making simple stuffs be rocket science) of getting out of the woods while we figure other exports bringing in Forex is, Dangote refineries and Fertilizer plant and power plant, the other refinery in Akwa Ibom, NNPC leased or PPP refineries, the other ones coming up in Okolola and Ogun state which all combined, can refine over 1.4 million barrels of crude; enough to eliminate our Forex needs for refined fuel with a lot more to spare for exports (earning Forex from refined fuel export) -- that will be our major game changer -- that, with the earlier listed, can bring the Naira to as low as N100 to $1 or thereabout.

1 Like

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by bigtt76(f): 5:34pm On Oct 20, 2016
Well spoken bro. In as much as the CBN is trying to harness from the diaspora, it should not project the country's revival based on that. They should diversify the economy period.

The 280 is projected not actual. Currently the I ter bank rate is at 305 to the dollar while BDCs is at 453.

989900D:

Inflow generally increases towards December. That said, even when the rate was N160-200 in 2014, the inflow was almost $20b per annum. The expected inflow this year though, is projected to exceed $30b slightly due to your reason (the emboldened), more Nigerians overseas sending money home than say 3-4 years ago, and SOS calls from home due to the comatose economy. Mind you, those overseas still need to work to get the money, pay bills, and e.t.c.

I need to add too that, as the FMDQ market progresses and more foreign investments (portfolio and real/FDI) are sought, there would be increased inflow, maybe not on the scale we would want, but there would be progressive increase in inflows, no matter how little. Also, the more the BM closes in with the 'interbank' the less unofficial inflows we would have, giving some boost to funds trickling in via official channels.

ATM, of the 'projected' estimated average inflow of $2.9b per month from diaspora remittance, less than $200m is currently being sold to BDCs per month, actually less than $150m.

To topic: I don't see any '280' in the article, bar the heading.

1 Like

Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by gotnel: 5:36pm On Oct 20, 2016
Not much to cheer. However, we can get better by increasing our productivity.
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by abhosts(m): 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2016
Dollar sold for 455 today at black market.
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by ademasta(m): 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2016
undecided
Re: Naira Inches To N280 Per US Dollar by Nobody: 5:59am On Oct 21, 2016
plaetton:
Silly propaganda.

I tell you, and Nigerians can't even see there is a problem there.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Marquee Tent For Event And Parties For Sale / Naira Appreciation Brings Confusion / Nokia Care! What A Hoax, Those Guys Should Be Sent Packing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.