Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,585 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. (1300 Views)

Letters To My Aborted Daughter / The Longest Word Has 189,819 Letters.. / Love Letters Back In Those Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by gbolahanh: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2009
I may look kinda nosy, but i am seriously concerned about how people have quickly dropped the trend of hand written letters since the advent of the email and such,

There is a kind of flavor that t can never be found in emails but which are present in handwritten letters especially posted informal ones.

I am also perplexed about the drastic reduction of pen pals over the years. I remember the good old days when a full page of newspapers would be dedicated to the advertisement of people seeking pen pals in Nigeria and overseas.

The world is turn something else.
Instant communication technology are putting a strain to peoples relationship,

Trysts are now even rare, lipsrsealed

I pray technology is not going to lead to our ruin, - Have you watched "The Terminator" whole series?.
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by dominique(f): 12:49pm On Oct 23, 2009
you pretty much answered your question. emails and general advancement in technology is killing the idea of penpals or what have you.
the idea of writing letters is so last century. i dont even know where the nearest post office to my crib is embarassed.
i personally prefer emails to letter cos

1. its faster

2. it always get delivered

3. if even it doesn't get delivered, you'd be notified

lets get moving with the times.
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by Gamine(f): 12:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
Be writing paper letter there,
when your mail 'accidentally' drops into the ocean
who to blame?
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by dominique(f): 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2009
Gamine:

Be writing paper letter there,
when your mail 'accidentally' drops into the ocean
who to blame?

you or the post office grin grin grin
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by mohawkchic(f): 3:20am On Oct 24, 2009
[size=13pt] ~There are people who are still dedicated to putting pen to paper,still enjoy writing or sharing letters/postcards/penpals. . .

~I do occassional get nostalgic about the hand written letter days. . i have stacks of letters me & my sis exchanged over the years post internet/email. . .

~I'm a member of a Postcrossing Group or Postcard Exchange if you like. . .you exchange cards w/ people all over the world. . .Initially,i was a tad skeptical about sharing my address w/ total starngers,but once i got my first stack of postcards,i was only to pleased to get stuck in on the idea. .

~I've received postcards from Thailand,Canada,Different states in the US. . .its always exciting receiving postcards from people i hardly know from some part of the world. . .

~You cud find out from Google or your search engine of such groups/clubs. . .
[/size]
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by chika98: 3:24am On Oct 24, 2009
what a lovely idea MC. I will give it a whirl as i am old fashioned and love hand written notes. Off to google i go
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 24, 2009
1. Pace at which it is received
          . Level of urgency
          .Risk of the letter getting into the wrong hands is less

2. No Price/ Free
          . No need to buy envelope and stamps

3. Permanency
          . Can always go back and recheck the email'
          . No lost paper
          . Can be printed multiple times
          . Erased on computer, permanent on hard drive (Watched an episode of that on NCIS).

4. Guarantee
        . Can be used as proof and/or evidence.

5.  Laziness
          . Click/Press enter
          . No walking/ driving to post office
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by mohawkchic(f): 3:40am On Oct 24, 2009
chika98:

what a lovely idea MC. I will give it a whirl as i am old fashioned and love hand written notes. Off to google i go

[size=13pt] ~Yaah!. . .Sentiments like that are becoming few & far in between. . .[/size]
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by chika98: 3:42am On Oct 24, 2009
Yeah they are. So how did you get started in it? How long have you been doing it?
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by chic2pimp(m): 3:48am On Oct 24, 2009
gbolahanh:

The world is turn something else.
Instant communication technology are putting a strain to peoples relationship,

Trysts are now even rare, lipsrsealed

I pray technology is not going to lead to our ruin, - Have you watched "The Terminator" whole series?.
Naija peeps sha. Una too like to big up trivial issues undecided undecided.
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by finemocha(f): 6:12am On Oct 25, 2009
sorry i dont understand. what is handwritting? is it some form of ancient way of communicating. fascinating
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by sino(m): 7:17am On Oct 25, 2009
hmmm i dont really know sha but the last time i wrote a handwritten letter was in my waec examination! i think its about to go online too. imagine a world without technology
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by gbolahanh: 6:22pm On Oct 25, 2009
Like Sino. " imagine a world without technology". Beind Old fashioned can sometime be cosy.
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by gbolahanh: 12:15pm On Nov 19, 2009
I didn't happen to like postcards. They are just pictures that tells no story,
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by Nobody: 6:35am On Nov 27, 2009
email is faster, thats all.

i buy postcards but keep them for the lovely photos.
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by Caringpro(f): 7:19pm On Nov 27, 2009
@POSTER,

Can you also ask why we do not use stone again to make fire. In the stone age where man used to scratch two stones to catch fire. So figure it all for yourself. Though there are cases where you will need to have a hand written letter for EFFECT. For instance if you have an organization and you want to pass a note that you feel strongly about, you can as well just write with your biro instead of even having your secretary type the letter.This will prove more potent for those that will be reading the note. Same thing with when you want to send a condolence or Birthday or any related note, you can write for EFFECT. Apart from that, in today's world, just =N=15 text message gets to anybody anywhere in the world so why the stress of letter writing and postage? We can go on and on
Re: What Cause The Reduction Of Handwritten Letters And Penpals. by flekan(m): 10:36pm On Nov 28, 2009
@Poster

Just one word **TECHNOLOGY**

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Stories Quiz-- Answer And Ask / Destroy Your American Green Card And Go To Jail, Soyinka Warned / Whyke Anthology Home Of African Poems.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.