Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,311 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) (99682 Views)

Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by odigbosky(m): 10:25am On Oct 21, 2016
To those asking how the Oba would sustain his wives, let me give you small info. A Benin prince is not just made to sit down and eat till he becomes king. He is thought how to survive for himself, this training he undergoes as prince. Oba Ewuare I survived his trying times due to his training. When Oba Eweka II was still a prince, he had to live in villages due to the british conquest and search for him. When he came out from his hiding and was given a post in agbor an issue arose because of the sitting position btwn him and the obi of agbor. The pple of agbor were very angry with the father of the prince. They were still recovering from the raid that oba ovonranmwen ordered on them. He was chased with cutlass and all sorts of weapons, the young prince had to jump a ditch, some people said he even fell. When this happened, the angry and blood thirsty agbor youths dropped their weapons. The young prince never went there again, he only asked a chief to represent him. When he was finally crowned, many of these same pple in the ika speaking lands and all over the defunct empire came on that day to pay tributes to him. They brought money and lots of farm produce, the british only allowed the pple to drop their farm produce and told they should no longer pay and form of money to the Oba again. The new oba moved from Usama palace to the present palace in joy. The whole Benin was mad with joy, the stool has been replaced, but this king of mine moved into a palace compound that over half it size had been taken by the british and no standing palace for him. This king slept in a house with leaking roof. Next day, work began, edo people came to build for their king. That is the palace you are seeing today. The king had a personal farm in Evbareke. There he fed his family, no matter how hard the british tried to stop edo pple from taking care of their king, it coudnt work. Even though he received no taxes, the edo people still took time to cater for him even when under the tax whips of the british. This is the fact that cannot be hidden, our lives have been merged into the throne, we cannot live without it and she cannot live without us. Just as we coudnt live without a king during the days of prince izoduwa and the king coudnt live without us the the time of oba Ewuakpe, Edo society beats for the king. You see our soil is red, so is our blood....So don't worry about the wives of the king, we can take care of that. We can afford the. Royal family....
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Okundaye4(m): 11:34am On Oct 21, 2016
BornStunner1:

FACTS ABOUT THE YORUBAS AKA AFONJAS
( 1 ) . Their story of
kingship began with Edo
prince and the Benin
recorded History .
( 2 ) . Ayayi crawder said,
little were know about
yoruba existence,
meaning they were not
part of Nigeria of today
boarder or were in small
settlement close to
dahomy. yoruba are half
muslims and those with
African traditions copied or got them from Benin
civilization . I doubt if they not immigrants from dahomy
mix with Benins or other fulani- hausa from Niger
. Bishop Samuel Adjayi Crowther (c . 1809 – 31
December 1891 ) Was the first African Anglican bishop
in Nigeria . Born in Osogun (in today's Iseyin Local
Government, Oyo State , Nigeria ) . His grandson was
Herbert Macaulay
( 3 ) . Yoruba have dublicity of kingship with the process
highly politized to being traditional . A system they try
copy from Benin but can 't get it real like the Benin
Kingdom. Edo Obaship is one of the most revered
institutions in the world because of the way it has
sustained its awesome prestige with strict and
meticulous attention to ancient traditions of valour ,
discipline and integrity . Edo chieftaincy titles cannot be
bought or conferred on non- indigenes or frivolously .
Every Edo chief performs a peculiarly sacred duty
and responsibility to the people of Edo. It does not make
sense , therefore , to think that a people who would not
and have never conferred their chieftaincy titles on non-
indigenes, would voluntarily invite , accept, or surrender
to non- indigenes as their kings . Due to celestial
origins , the Edo monarch cannot eat out and cannot be
diverted from full time palace duties to hustle
for contracts .
( 4 ) . Most of today
yoruba religion are
Benin Origin , Olokun ,
Ogun , Iha oguega (ifa ) ,
oronmila, Esago
(shango ) , Ayelala etc .
Many Benin traditions
and spirituality are
stillfully documented by
yorubas in high places
as YORUBA ? (Never mind the Edo man ' s christian
mindset quickly dening Edo have niothing to do with
African traditional religion , agreeing they are foriegn to
Edoland . . . LIE ) .
Although the Great Edo ( Benin ) Kingdom were not major
participants in the trans- Atlantic slave trade , because
the Obas (Kings ) believed that their subjects were too
valuable to sell away , and their noblemen had need of
war captives on their own farms , the influence of Edo
religion and medicine has still been substantial upon
the people of the Americas .
According to Mason (1996 ) , it has been widely
accepted that Olokun ( god of the sea ) worship
originated with the Edo and spread to the Yoruba ( p. 2) .
In fact, the most prominent part of Edo cultural
traditions that has made its mark in the New World is
Olokun worship. Olokun (god of the Waters ) worship
originated from Urhonigbe and then became prominent
at Ughoton around the Ethiope ( Olokun) River . The
priesthood and rituals were firmly established at the
time . Some of the possible points of contact happened
early. During the Ogiso Period , trade with the Yoruba
and Igbos was quite extensive. Olokun worship may
have spread to those areas through traders . Prior to the
Oba Period , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa was initiated into
Olokun as a chief Priest while he stayed at Ughoton ,
before his moving westward with his followers to
establish Ilefe ( Ero , 1999 , p . 108- 109) .
Once he arrived , Ekaladerhan Izoduwa brought Edo
traditions to those areas and was a King of his new
community called Ilefe , which could be what yoruba call
IFE. . From Ekaladerhan Izoduwa ’ s loins , the Yoruba
dynasties may have began. However, it is certain that
Olokun is an Edo divinity whose worship spread to the
outlying Yoruba areas.

But how can Olokun originate from Uhronigbe when they don't have any River? The Ethiope originate from Umuaja, through Umutu, Abraka to Sapele etc. Am from Umutu, a town that is in boarder with Uhronigbe. I have NEVER seen any body from Uronigbe coming to our river -Ethiope to worship.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by odigbosky(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2016
Okundaye4:

But how can Olokun originate from Uhronigbe when they don't have any River? The Ethiope originate from Umuaja, through Umutu, Abraka to Sapele etc. Am from Umutu, a town that is in boarder with Uhronigbe. I have NEVER seen any body from Uronigbe coming to our river -Ethiope to worship.

The name of what we call the river ethiope today was called olokun by the Edos. The river ethiope is one of the deepest rivers in west africa especially when you move down towards the atlantic. The river called Orhionmwon is now called Jamiesson, is another popular olokun site. Even the comon ikpoba river. The Benin empire encompassed all those lands in delta state, so pple saw the greatness of the ethiope, she was far bigger than jamiesson and she pours into the Benin river. The Benin river was the main outlet into the atlantic ocean for traders so the edos saw the ethiope as part of the atlantic ocean. You know back then they could not really distinguish btwn an ocean and a big river. Many Edos did not even like venturing into the ocean, it was during the time of Oba Ohordua they started doing stuffs like that. This was one reason Oba Adolo gave a large land in the mouth of the benin river to the europeans for trade. This place was called New Benin, the itsekiri chief Nana was put in charge by the british to control the place, that was one area his great wealth came from. This place was thriving, Nana became powerful that he sometimes felt he didn't need to give royalties to the Oba, that was why the itsekiri's were constantly paying fines due to things like that. They controlled that area of trade, they acted as middle men between the Edos and europeans. When Nana started misbehaving towards the british they to take him out, it for this reason Oba Ovoranmwen became suspicious of their deed. It was through this place they moved up stream to form a base at sapele, at the bank of the river ethiope. It was from sapele they launched an attack on ologbo. The Benin river recieves water from many rivers, the river that passes ughoton is also one of them.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by balosunky(m): 6:34pm On Oct 21, 2016
Pebcak:

Thanks, do they have to do that all the time or it's just for the duration of the coronation? also if you have any other information about the process of crowning the King pls share
only when they are official outside.they are free to smile to their husband,children,house maid even their rival's children
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 6:49pm On Oct 21, 2016
ogtavia:
Happy Birthday...
God bless u darling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 6:54pm On Oct 21, 2016
niyi123:

Let assume Dangote is married to three wives already and he wants you as the 4th wife, would you decline? Many will always claimed they cant share their husband, but yet, they dont see anything wrong with having affairs with married rich men because of their greediness.
not every woman fall for money. i will decline without looking back. i already shun two guys in Buhari"s cabinet. infact one got so pissed that he named me, madam disappointment.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 6:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
nkpommpko:
relax that's a tall other, a man is not made to have one Wife. Don't be self centered.
O, i hear u.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 7:01pm On Oct 21, 2016
Oma307:

please can I ask for ur hands in marriage
only if u will be forever faithful
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 7:04pm On Oct 21, 2016
MKO4ever:

Swear say you never sleep with married man before, make Sango and Obantala ................................................. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
i am d jealous type and i know how painful it is to share your man so i repeat, i have never and will never sleep with a married man
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 21, 2016
nwasinachi:
only if u will be forever faithful
I just love a lady with your mentality, I see why lady of nowadays claim nothing wrong with men sleeping around with random ladies. seriously I celebrate you
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Pebcak: 8:43pm On Oct 21, 2016
balosunky:
only when they are official outside.they are free to smile to their husband,children,house maid even their rival's children

ok nice
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:55pm On Oct 21, 2016
dragonking3:
So you don't know the meaning of oduduwa that you claim to be decendants of? SMH
I do not claim to be a descendant of Oduduwa. I have never said so anywhere. I know about all the controversies regarding Oduduwa and his possible origin and the origin of the Yoruba people. I am talking to you as a qualified historian, not as a yoruba person. Ayelala feared in Benin is a deity in Ilaje ondo state. He is claiming a deity in his post that he does not know the meaning of it's name.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by WORLDPEACE(m): 10:01pm On Oct 21, 2016
MabraO:

Simple question u can't answer

Wetin concern Ayelala concern oduduwa?

Simply answer what is d meaning of oduduwa in Yoruba shikena!!
You are the one claiming Ayelala, I did not claim Oduduwa. Don't repeat ignorance passed on to you by people just because they are from your place. I speak to you as a qualified historian not as a Yoruba person.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by MabraO: 7:19am On Oct 22, 2016
WORLDPEACE:

You are the one claiming Ayelala, I did not claim Oduduwa. Don't repeat ignorance passed on to you by people just because they are from your place. I speak to you as a qualified historian not as a Yoruba person.

Now I know u confused

How:
1: I wasn't the one arguing Ayelala with u from the onset
2: I just followed u guys argument nd got interested
3: I read ur comments u were dancing around like a pendulum. U never answered his simple question
4: then I suddenly looked like who has been exchanging with comments with u

I only helper to ask the question
Nobody asked u about Ayelala

Just an answer
What is the meaning of oduduwa in Yoruba
Is that too much to ask?
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by bigblackbooty(f): 8:13am On Oct 22, 2016
nwasinachi:
those women dey try o. I cant even imagine sharing my man with another woman, and nothing will ever make me sleep with a married man biko, theirs are theirs, while mine is mine

See this one forming decent, who asked to sleep wit someone else's hubby cool
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 9:54am On Oct 22, 2016
bigblackbooty:

See this one forming decent, who asked to sleep wit someone else's hubby cool
I dont have to form decent to be decent
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by nwasinachi(f): 10:03am On Oct 22, 2016
Oma307:

I just love a lady with your mentality, I see why lady of nowadays claim nothing wrong with men sleeping around with random ladies. seriously I celebrate you
dont mind them darling. thats how they share evil spirit amongst each other. If he join himself with a prostitute, then he is one with her, if he sleep with his wife after, he transports the evil spirit from the prostitute in to her. when they start having strange probs, u see them blaming poor innocent villagers.
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 22, 2016
nwasinachi:
dont mind them darling. thats how they share evil spirit amongst each other. If he join himself with a prostitute, then he is one with her, if he sleep with his wife after, he transports the evil spirit from the prostitute in to her. when they start having strange probs, u see them blaming poor innocent villagers.
that is the truth but I wish they could know and I always hope to meet someone of ur type
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by lepasharon(f): 12:30am On Oct 27, 2016
ihimiray:
craze dey ur head, which bloody yoruba man... U people can think so stupidly

grin
Re: 3 Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa (Photos) by jbblues24(m): 9:23pm On Jun 01, 2019
These are fab and nice m8 undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

‘Mysterious’ Cloth That Fell From The Sky In Ondo: The Truth (Photos) / Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.