Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,502 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? (3620 Views)

Bayelsa Election: APC Cars Spotted In The Streets Of Bayelsa(photos) / Photos Of Sokoto Residents On The Streets With Brooms, Shovels Over N1m Prize / Child Beggars On Lagos Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:28am On Jan 12, 2007
Donzman:

If you have 75 million people, you should be well represented in schools even if 10% of your population can afford it?. . . Are you saying that more than 90% of Northerners can't afford an education?

Actually, the point Davidylan is making is this ; he's ridiculing the idea that education should be zoned. That is, specific quotas for applicants from specific areas. There was a thread on it a while back, it's basically an affirmative action program for Northerners. Such a thing isn't right unless there's a way you can justify that Northerners have been oppressed over the years, which isn't true.

Kano state is touted as having 9.4million citizens and yet only had 10,807 applicants for the 2006/07 UME examination, Ogun with a population of 4.05million had 41,377 applicants alone! more than 4 times the number from Kano which purportedly is 2ce the size of Ogun in terms of population!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 10:19am On Jan 12, 2007
davidylan:

Kano state is touted as having 9.4million citizens and yet only had 10,807 applicants for the 2006/07 UME examination, Ogun with a population of 4.05million had 41,377 applicants alone! more than 4 times the number from Kano which purportedly is 2ce the size of Ogun in terms of population!

Don't use that to make conclusions or else your conclusions will be wrong. Try and find out how many kano state indigenes are there in Unilag, UI and IFE and also try to find out how many Lagos state indigenes or Oyo state or even Ogun state indigenes are there in BUK or ABU Zaria, you will see d difference. Most people from the north need not write JAMB before gaining admission into universities; JAMB is for southerners my brother. Don't be suprised that 90% of those who put in for JAMB in Kano state were southerners who live in kano.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:30am On Jan 12, 2007
ishmael:

Don't use that to make conclusions or else your conclusions will be wrong. Try and find out how many kano state indigenes are there in Unilag, UI and IFE and also try to find out how many Lagos state indigenes or Oyo state or even Ogun state indigenes are there in BUK or ABU Zaria, you will see d difference. Most people from the north need not write JAMB before gaining admission into universities; JAMB is for southerners my brother. Don't be suprised that 90% of those who put in for JAMB in Kano state were southerners who live in kano.

Yep! You just confirmed my long held suspicion that there are two sets of rules in Nigeria, one for the southerner and another for the northerner. While spending 1 yr as a graduate assistant at the Federal University of Tech, Yola, it was clear that majority of JAMB applicants were southerners who often than not had far better results than their northern counterparts but were rejected based on state of origin (for a federal school!).
Most of the northerners came in through fraudulent predegree programs, some gaining direct entry positions by virtue of virtually unheard of exams such as city and guilds and other nonsense!

JAMB is NOT for the southerner, rather it was meant as a tool to create an unfair advantage for unqualified northerners to gain places into southern schools at the expense of better qualified southern candidates! How do you explain the anomaly of educationally less disadvantaged states? Are those states disadvantaged because the south oppressed them and denied them education?
Is it the fault of the south that they choose to rear cattle, beg or roam the streets looking for the next religious riots rather than go to school?
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 12, 2007
I believe each group of people are blessed with some innate resources and they ought to use it maximally.

1.For instance Igbos are known to be smart businessmen and also love education and they make a good living at it.

2.Yorubas love education too and have given us most of our highly acclaimed lawyers and economists in Nigeria.

3.The Northerners are blessed with cattle,I feel they should be allowed to rear them however they want and of course away from airports terminals.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by BigB11(m): 11:30pm On Jan 12, 2007
@ BABYOSISI

what is your point?
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 12, 2007
that we don't all need to go to school. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jan 12, 2007
latest UME figures.

Further statistics of applicants seeking admissions for the 2006/2007 session revealed that Imo State maintained her lead with the highest candidates of 83,895, Edo 57,754, Anambra 57,607, Delta 54,522, Abia 39,054 and Akwa Ibom recorded 36,054.

While the following six states recorded the lowest number of applications, Kebbi 3,292, Taraba 3,120, Sokoto 2,921, Zamfara 2,326, Jigawa 2,031 and Yobe State produced 1,589 candidates.
Investigations revealed that after the policy meeting on admissions, the authorities of the nation’s universities have fixed different dates for the controversial post-UME test ahead of their resumption for next academic session.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/education/2006/sept/19/education-19-09-2006-002.htm
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 12, 2007
wait! Dont those states with the lowest UME applicants have the highest population in Nigeria?

No wonder we are one of the poorest nations on earth!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 13, 2007
davidylan:

wait! Dont those states with the lowest UME applicants have the highest population in Nigeria?

They're obviously proud of their lack of education but proud of their high population!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 13, 2007
davidylan:

and the Jamb registrar is Professor Bello Salim
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Uche2nna(m): 3:45am On Jan 13, 2007
davidylan:

If u believe the bullshit , then yes they have the highest population.
However, it is only in Nigeria that the ecological theory is proved wrong: ie there are more organisms inhabiting the desert than the tropical rainforest.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by phoenixman: 9:08pm On Jan 13, 2007
yhow uche wat agwaan!!! cheesy are you saying that the population of nigeria is so big
that its difficult to count? man i should live in a place like that, i would make tonne loads of money. economy of scale cheesy
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2007
phoenixman:

yhow uche what agwaan!!! cheesy are you saying that the population of nigeria is so big
that its difficult to count? man i should live in a place like that, i would make tonne loads of money. economy of scale cheesy

That isn't what economies of scale is about. cheesy
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Uche2nna(m): 9:19pm On Jan 13, 2007
phoenixman:

yhow uche what agwaan!!! cheesy are you saying that the population of nigeria is so big
Nope. Wat I am saying is dat I do not believe that there are more people living in the northern part of Nigeria( which is near the desert) than the southern part of Nigeria which has a tropical rain forest climate.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 13, 2007
Uche2nna:

Nope. What I am saying is that I do not believe that there are more people living in the northern part of Nigeria( which is near the desert) than the southern part of Nigeria which has a tropical rain forest climate.

Not when the cows and rams are counted as able citizens of the North
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2007
Please lend your vote! Let us move power back to the north! A cow for president!!!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by phoenixman: 4:40am On Jan 14, 2007
Donzman:

That isn't what economies of scale is about. cheesy

donzy, donzy donz *shakes head* didn't you see my emoticon suggesting laughter. it was spin.
geez this guy continues to be dense. cheesy try again later
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Danmasani(m): 3:42pm On Jan 14, 2007
davidylan:

Please lend your vote! Let us move power back to the north! A cow for president!!!

Shouldn't you be ashamed of yourself that a cow becomes your next president in 6 months!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2007
Danmasani:

Shouldn't you be ashamed of yourself that a cow becomes your next president in 6 months!

if a cow can be part of the census then it should be able to stand in the presidential elections!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Eurphoria(f): 4:30pm On Jan 14, 2007
David true
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 14, 2007
and if the cow loses,free suya for all
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by ono(m): 3:34pm On Jan 15, 2007
babyosisi:

and if the cow loses,free suya for all
davidylan:

if a cow can be part of the census then it should be able to stand in the presidential elections!

LOL!!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 7:01pm On Jan 15, 2007
Hey, you people should stop refering to northerners as cows else they will call us, southerners pigs, and you know they hate pigs !!.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 15, 2007
ishmael:

Hey, you people should stop refering to northerners as cows else they will call us, southerners pigs, and you know they hate pigs !!.

It wont make any difference, they've been slaughtering southerners since 1966 on pretentious religious riots! Nothing new!

Besides, did we count pigs during the last census?
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Danmasani(m): 7:51pm On Jan 15, 2007
This is a very interesting thread. Its's normal to always have bigots, calling Northerners cows. Census have always shown that the North is more populated, yet some people would not believe. Claims that a Northern president imposed results have now being debunked with a southern president in power! I wonder what type of northerner you will accept. you have classified all of us as fools, even the humble Umar Yar'adua is called a cow! I only pray for the youth of Nigeria, that the nepotism and bigotry which our fathers indulged in would not continue within us, that we will find among us leaders united in justice for all and prosperity for Nigeria!!!!

Cheers grin grin grin cheesy wink
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by bindex(m): 8:33pm On Jan 15, 2007
well said danmasani
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 8:44pm On Jan 15, 2007
Lmao. . .who came up with this idea? That's mean tho'. I can't stop laughing grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by adconline(m): 8:53pm On Jan 15, 2007
@Ishmael,
Do you mean that Northerner do not take jamb or there are more northerners in universities in Naija even through the back door process. The point is that there are more Southerners in universities in Naija than northerners because there are many southerners in Northern universities than northerners in southern universities. I do not blame them for accepting the census figures since they rejected polio drugs and embraced death. Brother education is the key, it opens the doors to success. We are going to have these problems all the time until states pay generated revenue taxes to the central government not by apportioning southern wealth by population.

its because they have not built a literate society that would challenge or engage their govts. They run things according to rules and norms of their society.
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2007
@ adconline,

it is mere wishes if you assume that cows can reason like humans! Indeed if you take a census of the number of cows in the north, then the census results as announced by the NPC will make a lot of sense. Indeed there are more cows in Kano than Lagos!
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 9:11pm On Jan 15, 2007
ROFLMAO. . . . No kiddin! grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2007
He he I'm loving this cow thread!

can you imagine my people are so educated,they have all the degrees in the world,all the oil producing states, all the acclaimed lawyers, scientists, economist, business gurus yet they let "cows" rule them  are you guys sure we sef are not cows in human flesh  grin

Just imagine many people from my village mostly educated say they prefer this one cow from a state called Niger to a fellow villager  grin

One of our very educated brothers that knows everything about tourism, joined a party full of "cows" then guess what he got told the next in line is a "cow" i mean what the heck was he expecting?
These cows should stop interfering with our imoke power plant can't they just go and build a bio-mass with all the cows in their part?

stop calling your fellow cow a cow! grin
Re: Why Are There So Many Beggars On The Streets From Northen Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 11:06pm On Jan 15, 2007
NAMA!!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Politics A Do Or Die Affair? / REFERENDUM - THE ONLY SOLUTION FOR NIGERIA! / Boko Haram: Fg Considers New Law On Explosives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.