Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,747 members, 7,959,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:23 PM

New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of (8244 Views)

What’s The Difference Between Vs Wordpress.org / How To Increase Page Speed Of Wordpress Website / Is Advisable For Entertainment Blogging. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by Clementor(m): 8:57am On Oct 22, 2016
So .com is beta than ?
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by benjibabs(m): 10:15am On Oct 22, 2016
emmalexdboy:
Let me clear the confusion which the OP didn't really explain right from the beginning of the post. Wordpress, which is the best blogging platform on the planet, has two versions: and Wordpress.org.

When you start your blog on , it's free, usually end with the . and comes with the limitations which the OP stated above. However, Wordpress.org is the self-hosted version: meaning it's not free but you own your blog and can monetize it any how you like without any form of restriction. This is what most top bloggers use and in my own opinion: it's the best for making money online!

If you really what to understand the difference between and Wordpress.org, then read this post: Difference Between and Wordpress.org

The post covers everything you need to know!

You tried but the wp.org info you provided is not accurate. There are two ways to create blogs with Wordpress:
1.) register for a free site on and off you go blogging. is a free service run by Wordpress team. The limitations OP mentioned apply.
2.) download the free Wordpress software from Wordpress.org and install it on your home or office server/desktop or website and off you go blogging. Wordpress.org is the official Wordpress team site where you can download the package, read documentation, join their community etc.
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by coolplanet: 11:00am On Oct 22, 2016
ArewaTech1:
Source: [size=14pt]ArewaTech[/size]

Is WordPress or go daddy good for online business?
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by ArewaTech1(m): 12:32pm On Oct 22, 2016
CallMeNJay:
Misleading Headline

Wordpress remains d best

I concur, but which version out of the two?

WordPress.org or ?
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by ArewaTech1(m): 12:35pm On Oct 22, 2016
Sixkobo:
Lol, no offence but e be like Arewa don carry their ______ enter blogging?

Anyway, WordPress. Org is different from the free one like which is WordPress .com.
Op know what you saying.
Example of .org is in my signature check it out for free

Hahah, it'd be better if you fill in the blank.
LoL

But the title said not WordPress.org
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by UjSizzle(f): 3:38pm On Oct 22, 2016
You people obviously can't tell the difference between and WordPress.org
The OP is right.

1 Like

Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by karrim4real(m): 5:17pm On Oct 22, 2016
Get USA GOOGLE ADSENSE ACCOUNT
CONTACT ME ON 08131915690
https://www.nairaland.com/3422984/usa-google-adsense-account-sale

Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by benjibabs(m): 6:45pm On Oct 22, 2016
UjSizzle:
You people obviously can't tell the difference between and WordPress.org
The OP is right.

OP is not completely correct. To start with, the title of the post is misleading. If you are signing up for any service online you are expected to read the fine print to understand what is being offered. is a free service that comes with some stated restrictions; there is nothing hidden as the title suggested.

Now the main issue with the post is the offering of Wordpress.org as a better alternative to ; this is like comparing apples with oranges. Wordpress.org is simply Wordpress team's organization's site where they disseminate information about their software, services, projects, etc, similar to any company's website. is the software service offered by Wordpress team for people to create free Blogging sites.

The OP should be comparing Wordpress as a service offered via and Wordpress do-it-yourself via download and installation of the Wordpress software on your personal server or website. Note Wordpress.org is the site where you download the Wordpress software from.

Summary
Option 1
If you need to start blogging in minutes and you don't mind the restrictions OP mentioned , visit and create a free blogging account and you are good to go. This is similar to blogger.com and the likes on the web.
Cost is $0

If you want to compare similar free blog sites before you sign up for service, check out the link below:
http://stylecaster.com/best-free-blog-sites/

Option 2
If you want absolute control on you blog site, wether in your home or on the internet, then visit Wordpress.org and download the free software and install it on your personal server or website. For instance, I can download and install Wordpress on my home computer and have my family create accounts and blog; this blogs will only be for my family. If we decide to share with the whole world, I can connect my home computer to the internet and allow outsiders to access or I can download and install Wordpress on my website and move our blogs to the Wordpress installed on my website.
Cost: Wordpress software is free ($0). If you have the computer or a website and you are tech savvy, it will cost you nothing more than your time. If you are not the techy type, hire someone to install for you and pay the bill.
If you are starting out with nothing and you intend to share your killer blogs with the world, you will need the following:
1.) domain name e.g adojohnsuleblog.com.. domain name registration cost between $9 - $15
2.) website hosting service - cost is from about $5/mon
3.) Wordpress software - cost $0 smiley
4.) good IT person to put everything together for you - cost depends on who you are using
You can get 1 & 2 from companies like godaddy.com and a million of others on the net.

Note: I've provided more inform to answer some questions on the thread.

Happy blogging, folks!
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by pxjosh(m): 7:57am On Oct 23, 2016
ArewaTech1:
Conclusion

Our recommendation is that first you need to realize what you want to do with your blog, make a plan and then choose. If you just need to express yourself then is an easy and wonderful option for you. But if you want to build on to your website and do more with your blog then consider WordPress.org. We offer a free WordPress blog setup service where we can help you get started. contact ArewaTech1(at)gmail(dot)com or 0806 3766 471

If you are one of the users who want to switch from to WordPress.org, then we highly
recommend that you contact us for our guide.

Good morning ArewaTech, please I need clarification between WordPress and blogger. I want to start a blog with a top-level domain. Am a bit confused about something. Does it mean that if u use blogger, I wouldn't need to worry about hosting (because as much as I know I just need to put in my custom domain, blogger does the hosting), or if I chose WordPress, I'd have to handle both hosting and domain name ( which seems like almost double cost compared to blogger). Don't know how best to explain my question.
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by ArewaTech1(m): 2:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
pxjosh:

Good morning ArewaTech, please I need clarification between WordPress and blogger. I want to start a blog with a top-level domain. Am a bit confused about something. Does it mean that if u use blogger, I wouldn't need to worry about hosting (because as much as I know I just need to put in my custom domain, blogger does the hosting), or if I chose WordPress, I'd have to handle both hosting and domain name ( which seems like almost double cost compared to blogger). Don't know how best to explain my question.
Using Blogger you don't have to worry about hosting (same on ).
But note that both on Blogger and there are certain restrictions/limitations, which simply means You don't have complete ownership of your blog.
If you have an okay budget I'd advice you to go for Self-hosted WordPress but if you can't afford to pay for both domain name and hosting, go for Google's Blogger.
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by pxjosh(m): 2:43pm On Oct 23, 2016
ArewaTech1:

Using Blogger you don't have to worry about hosting (same on ).
But note that both on Blogger and there are certain restrictions/limitations, which simply means You don't have complete ownership of your blog.
If you have an okay budget I'd advice you to go for Self-hosted WordPress but if you can't afford to pay for both domain name and hosting, go for Google's Blogger.
Thank you. I'd go for Google's blogger for now. By the way I like the theme of ur blog, you designed it yourself?
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by ArewaTech1(m): 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2016
pxjosh:
Thank you. I'd go for Google's blogger for now. By the way I like the theme of ur blog, you designed it yourself?
Nop, bought it from Themeforest
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by PatrickOd: 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
Please I just created a blog how can I acces my web site without going to blogger.com
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by benzems(m): 4:21am On Oct 26, 2016
How to add breaking news widget to blog
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by ArewaTech1(m): 4:46am On Oct 26, 2016
benzems:
How to add breaking news widget to blog

WordPress or Blogger ?
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by benzems(m): 3:50pm On Oct 26, 2016
ArewaTech1:

WordPress or Blogger ?

Blogger,
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by bedfordng(m): 10:43pm On Oct 26, 2016
CallMeNJay:
Misleading Headline

Wordpress remains d best
there is nothing misleading. Most bloggers don't understand that wordpress has 2 version which is which serve as free subdomain version just like while the other version is wordpress script which can be downloaded from wordpress.org and this is what most website and news blogs are using. Its self hosted and requires you to purchase an hosting plan to install it. This is the one most bloggers know while they mistake it to be . I often recommend bloggers to use blogger instead of due to its limitations. It would be a waste of time using in the long run except you plan to use one of their premium plans
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by bedfordng(m): 10:49pm On Oct 26, 2016
emyddon:
Bro, WordPress remains the best platform in the world, the limitations you highlighted is for the free platform(), but WordPress.org is more flexible, all you have to do is pay for the services.
both of you are still saying same thing. The op wrote it clearly in his title that he is referring to which should tell you that it is the free wordpress version, not self hosted.
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by bedfordng(m): 10:53pm On Oct 26, 2016
Clementor:
So .com is beta than ?
if you want peace of mind and have plans for your blog or website, i will recommend out of the two option. Wordpress ban is nothing to write home about. Most bloggers that blogs on , sharing copyrighted contents cannot try such with without getting ban instantly
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by gloryz24: 7:01pm On Oct 29, 2016
It's always smarter to host the blog for your self since then you can't get your blog closed that easily and lose all your work. Specially if you plan to make any kind of revenue from that blog - than it's much smarter to host it your self than to use any kind of hosted service. Also blogger seems bit more flexible with different types of content than - and I find more better blogs hosted on Blogger than I do on Wordrpess.com.

For learning how to use WordPress or making a simple or sample blog is great!
Re: New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of by Blinks205: 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2016
Get high quality SEO on how to rank high on Alexa from http://www.blogmuzz.com/2016/10/best-seo-tips-on-how-to-rank-high-on.html

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Checklist Against Cybercrime / Php Mail() To Yahoo Inbox Help Needed / Is Blogging Still Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.