Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) (4327 Views)

Buhari Sends Northern Governors To South-East On ‘Peace Mission’ / Police Deploy More Officers To South-East, S’south; To Stop Kanu From Fleeing / South East To Build Five Mega Industrial Clusters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by bukifemi1: 1:27pm On Oct 22, 2016
Craftsmen at Aba, Abia State as well as traders at Onitsha, Anambra State should get prepared to receive new apprentices from Ekiti State.

This is being promoted as a bid by the Ekiti State government to ensure that Ekiti youths are trained to be self-reliant and look beyond government patronage, and to also prove that, aside education, developing unskilled Ekiti youths does not warrant only sending them overseas for training.

The idea was floated by Hon. (Dr.) STB Omotoso, Ekiti State House of Assembly Member-elect (Oye 1 Constituency, PDP) during a courtesy visit by Ekiti State Assembly Members-elect to the corporate head office of Vanguard Media Ltd, Kirikiri, Apapa, Lagos, on Wednesday last week.

Hon. Omotosho, while condemning critics of Gov. Ayo Fayose of Ekiti State for their criticisms of what has come to be termed “stomach infrastructure”, said such criticisms give the concept a narrow definition as it goes beyond giving gifts of bags of rice and other foodstuff to voters to influence their choice.

“Stomach infrastructure is narrowly defined by critics of Governor Fayose”, Hon. Omotosho said. “It is not all about just feeding people or giving gifts to people. If one should expatiate on the concept, it entails providing the people not only with the basic necessities of life after election, but also empowering them by making them self-reliant, with the best education and training and then giving them employment, which the Fayose government is presently engaged in.”

Speaking further, the lawmaker-elect said the Ekiti State government did not need to waste scarce resources sending Ekiti unskilled youths to Europe or America for training. “Instead, they could be sent to Aba to learn how to make shoes and bags, and to Onitsha to master trade; while those who are qualified and competent will be given local contracts. This is the concept behind the so-called ‘stomach infrastructure’ and not just distributing gift items. Stomach infrastructure goes on after election. It is about helping the poor. It is about engaging them in what can feed them earn a living. That’s what Fayose wants to continue doing. He needs stability to achieve for no progress can be made during crisis. We have had enough crisis and we want peaqce in our state.”

Aba, well known for its handicrafts, is reputed for its handmade shoes and handbags. It is also a major manufacturing and trading centre in South-Eastern Nigeria, with its Ariaria International Market as the largest market in West Africa, seconded by the Onitsha Main Market.

And Onitsha is known for its trading, where the average traders are known to bring in at least six consignments of 40 tonnes (40-feet containers) of goods annually. Some of the major importers do more than 20 consignments of 40 tonnes of goods per year.

Interestingly, the multi-billion dollar economies of both commercial towns are dominated by craftsmen and merchants many of whom do not have university education, but rely on apprenticeship to cut their teeth in the trades before going on their own.

It will be recalled that “stomach infrastructure” crept into Nigeria’s political lexicon following the 2014 Ekiti State governorship election when voters were given gifts of bags of rice and other foodstuff by office contenders to influence their choice. Both Fayose and Fayemi, the then governor gave out gifts. But Fayose’s became so prominent that it was believed to have led to his victory.

Fayose sending Ekiti youths to Aba and Onitsha in furtherance of his stomach infrastructure will be a move which is believed will enjoy the backing of the incoming Ekiti State House of Assembly, as all 26 members-elect were elected on PDP ticket, like the governor.

The youths, according to the said plan, are expected to return to Ekiti State after completing their apprenticeship, to re-enact the Aba and Onitsha phenomenon in their home state.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/new-lawmakers-define-ekiti-stomach-infrastructure/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.6xtp1nVo.dpuf

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by flyingsnail(f): 1:30pm On Oct 22, 2016
smiley

Good we are all brothers

14 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by vanbonattel: 1:34pm On Oct 22, 2016
Just negodu!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Funlordjnr: 1:35pm On Oct 22, 2016
There is no way in hell that this thread will not turn into a battle ground for ipob olodos and afonja destitutes very soon! The narrative in the thread is just too tempting...make I wait for them!

**parks keke**

grin

14 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by ucheokpara100(m): 1:35pm On Oct 22, 2016
see person wey wan go learn trade shape? (belle) Nigerians are so gullible
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by vanbonattel: 1:37pm On Oct 22, 2016
Funlordjnr:

There is no way in hell that this thread will not turn into a battle ground for ipob olodos and afonja destitutes very soon! The narrative in the thread is just too tempting...make I wait for them!

**parks keke**

grin

They are welcome, I wonder if the knowledge can fit into heads shaped like c*nes grin

Na joke ooo

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by dunkem21(m): 1:39pm On Oct 22, 2016
Funlordjnr:

**parks keke**

grin

Reason I haven't commented ..

I am surprised you've not fired the first shot cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by NaijaMutant(f): 1:45pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ok
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Thewrath(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2016
I see
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 22, 2016
More of this is needed between the Southeast and the Southwest. Since no man is an island of knowledge, we all have a thing to learn from each other. Kudos to governor Ayodele Fayose for this brilliant idea.

Nigeria will only become great a nation when love triumphs over hate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by vanbonattel: 1:52pm On Oct 22, 2016
flyingsnail:
smiley

Good we are all brothers

We're brothers when you want to learn from us but when we come to trade in Lagos, you release all those urchins to harass our business in the name of omo alaye.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by orimsamsam(m): 1:53pm On Oct 22, 2016
Hmmmm. Ekiti
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by vanbonattel: 1:55pm On Oct 22, 2016
bejeiodus:
More of this is needed between the Southeast and the Southwest. Since no man is an island of knowledge, we all have a thing to learn from each other. Kudos to governor Ayodele Fayose for such a brilliant idea.

Nigeria will only be great a nation when love triumphs over hate.

Good talk. But please advice people on the other side of the divide to always remember that "the person you despise today could be your Oga tomorrow"

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Opharhe: 1:57pm On Oct 22, 2016
It's a good initiative. Especially as it is locally driven.
Patronize naija(Aba, Onitsha, Nnewi, Lagos, Kano etc) to grow the Naira.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by orimsamsam(m): 1:59pm On Oct 22, 2016
dunkem21:

Goodluck being the umpire .. You never watch wrestling wen dem beat referee till e enter coma sad
abi oooo. We're the two opponent go father beat referee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by dunkem21(m): 2:01pm On Oct 22, 2016
orimsamsam:
abi oo. We're the two opponent go father beat referee

cheesy grin Hahahaha ..I never see this one o cheesy
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by dunkem21(m): 2:08pm On Oct 22, 2016
Anybody wey fire the first shot here from the two camps, we go gather beat am cool

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Opharhe: 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2016
dunkem21:

Reason I haven't commented ..

I am surprised you've not fired the first shot cool

Funlordjnr:

**parks keke**
grin
Una go wait taya. No tribal bashing today.
Today, we go do sober reflection.
Una plan don fail. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 22, 2016
I applaud this man's move! It is a move in a positive direction. It will not only strengthen the policy of 'stomach infrastructure and stomach liturgy' but strengthen the southern unity as well.

The South Easterners should please do not use derogatory statements to discourage these youths.

Rather, the southern leaders can emulate; even encourage inter ethnic marriage to salvage the disunity.

Each time I think of how the north treats the south because of their unity, it gives me heart ache.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by EternalTruths: 2:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
Op , Afonjas will come for your heads

God bless the omoalubis cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Ejanla07: 2:15pm On Oct 22, 2016
Opharhe:
Una go wait taya. No tribal bashing today.
Today, we go do sober reflection.
Una plan don fail. grin

if i hear. me wey i dey type tribal stuff like dis. like dis
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 22, 2016
vanbonattel:

Good talk. But please advice people on the other side of the divide to always remember that "the person you despise today could be your Oga tomorrow"
Motigbo sir.
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Newmanluckyman(m): 2:18pm On Oct 22, 2016
... Nice one. More trade, business, cultural, religious and marital exchanges should be further encouraged between Nigerians.
Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Ejanla07: 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2016
you mean the afonjas re coming to Anambra? to learn? the cone headed sawt waste sufferiscated brown roof Republic ritual and crime zone in the south side of the cantry. re thoroughly gonna be humiliated...

oga::::hey femi. go wash dat plate come go buy me food. buy rice 100 plantain 100 beans 50 meat 4 fish 1. buy coke.
femi :::yea sir..

oga::hey femi. u don chop?

femi :: no sir..

oga:::take dis 100 go chop....

(femi buy d food and about to eat)
oga:: femi cover ur food come carry dis market go drop for park for customer... from thr go to the warehouse bring count all d goods thr.
buy wheel cover wheel barrow alloyed...

chaii. afonja humiliation thread...

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by MXrep: 2:24pm On Oct 22, 2016
is this a recent news?? because there was this type of news immediately Fayose was sworn in

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by vani86: 2:43pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ejanla07:
you mean the afonjas re coming to Anambra? to learn? the cone headed sawt waste sufferiscated brown roof Republic ritual and crime zone in the south side of the cantry. re thoroughly gonna be humiliated...

oga::::hey femi. go wash dat plate come go buy me food. buy rice 100 plantain 100 beans 50 meat 4 fish 1. buy coke.
femi :::yea sir..

oga::hey femi. u don chop?

femi :: no sir..

oga:::take dis 100 go chop....

(femi buy d food and about to eat)
oga:: femi cover ur food come carry dis market go drop for park for customer... from thr go to the warehouse bring count all d goods thr.

chaii. afonja humiliation thread...

Shut the fuckup, i am from anambra and i find this initiative very innovative

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by ruggedboy01: 2:52pm On Oct 22, 2016
afonjazzy grin cheesy
make them no carry their oily and ewedu soup enter my town oooo

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by dunkem21(m): 3:05pm On Oct 22, 2016
ruggedboy01:
[]

You no go stop

Last warning .. No Tribals today cool

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by dunkem21(m): 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2016
MXrep:
is this a recent news?? because there was this type of news immediately Fayose was sworn in

Yeah you're right ..The news has been making rounds for some months. It was only brought up to promote bigotry.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Citizens Sent To South East To Learn Trade And Business Skill (pictures) by Ejanla07: 3:31pm On Oct 22, 2016
vani86:

Shut the fuckup, i am from anambra and i find this initiative very innovative

if u like be from Yoruba. d afonjas will be humiliated full stop.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bamaiyi: How NADECO Leaders Betrayed Abiola / Excited Trump Meets Acting President Yemi Osibanjo (photos) / Breaking News-ipob Releases Names And Phone Numbers Of Sponsors Of Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.