Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:43 AM

Power Firms Demand 200% Increase In Tariff - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Firms Demand 200% Increase In Tariff (1739 Views)

Senate Recommends Increase In Prices Of Petrol And Diesel / Power Firms Cut Costs As Liquidity Shrinks / Electricity Firms Push For 100% Tariff Hike Again!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Power Firms Demand 200% Increase In Tariff by ExInferis(m): 2:03pm On Oct 24, 2016
AZeD1:

I'm not a novice in the power sector and I can tell you that if those guys had done due diligence, they would have known about most of the issues.

2) Metering in Nigeria doesn't favour the power companies. Every time a pipeline is vandalised, the power companies are supposed to lose money, but my bill stays the same or sometimes increases because I am given an estimated bill.

Look. Estimated bills are not sustainable, nor do even 40% of customers pay. The arbitrary charges work against the Discos since hardly anyone pays.

In as much as some are over billed, a great many more are under billed. Most businesses and households are not paying what they should since the marketers tend to under bill just to elicit customer response. When service is dropped, or when a house hold acquires new appliances, the energy company remains unaware and the bills remain the same.

I've seen a house with 4 water heaters and 5 2hp ACs paying about 5k a month.

Some fuel stations are billed as R2s.

If none of the consumers are accurately billed, with a great deal underbilled and a substantial number not paying, while a lot contest their bills, how does that favor the disco?

Do Discos even have enough resources distribute all bills?

Metering is the solution. Especially smart meters.

Take time out and discuss with any disco rep their mentality.

1 Like

Re: Power Firms Demand 200% Increase In Tariff by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
Fellow citizens, what we are currently witnessing in the power sector is just one of the many increases that will come in a rapid cycle of repeated reviews simply because only the few are bearing the burden of the multitudes- It is only in the southern part of the country that the Discos generate the bulk of their revenue(I stand to be corrected) they make next to nothing in the north(Except from some industrial and highbrow areas).It is so bad that even government agencies(Ministries, and Agencies in Abuja like the Finance defence, et al) owed bills up to 90 billion (It took the intervention of the Power Minister to bring the erring agencies to acknowledge and agree a payment plan- NEPA officials dare not enter so many in the North (except they have written their wills and said their last prayers)It is that bad. Hence my submission is that this will not be the last of the increments that we are going to hear and the ones that will bear the brunt are down south.[size=10pt][/size]

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Constitutes Strategy Review And Inter-party Affairs Committee (SEE LIST) / Tinubu Loyalists Stage Solidarity Walk Saturday / Picture Of A Calabar Herdsman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.