Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 (21911 Views)

The January 1966 Coup Was Not An Igbo Coup- Zikistmovement.com / Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Buhari's 1983 Coup Was To Derail Igbo Presidency - Ezeife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by softmind24: 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2016
cool
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2016
Igboid:
•Restructure Nigeria for regions to develop at their own pace
•My take on revenue president between October 1979 and December 1983 and played a pivotal role in the fight against military rule prior to 1999 having been chairman of the, G34, a political platform upon which the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP was formed. Lawyer, architect and statesman, Dr. Ekwueme who would be 84 later this month spoke to a team of Vanguard reporters in his Oko, Anambra State residence on the trajectory of Nigeria’s independence, the state of the nation and the fate of his party, the PDP which he served among others as its first chairman.

Excerpts:

[b]Don’t you think that if you took the position that you would have been able to mobilise the Senate to counter whatever breaches to democratic tenets that Obasanjo was accused of?

I am not immodest, but I can say that anything I put my mind to do, I try and do it well. If I had accepted and became president of Senate, I would have made the legislature something Nigerians would be proud of. But I didn’t think it was right. I was vice-president for four years and three months and under our zoning system in the NPN. Chances were high that in 1987 that I might have been the candidate of the party for the presidency.

Umaru Dikko gave a press interview in London after the coup of December 31, 1983 that all the talk about corruption was just hogwash that the coup took place because they wanted to stop me from being president in 1987 and that they didn’t want to wait until it was too close that it would be too obvious.

But I know that early in December 1983 that the NPN (National Party of Nigeria) had its convention in Ibadan and President Shagari’s speech at that time was that the decision of the party to move the presidency of the country to the South was irreversible and that it was in the interest of Nigerian unity. That was part of his speech, and I think this was probably what triggered the December 31 coup according to Umaru Dikko in his press interview...

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/ekwuemes-recipe-better-nigeria/
l want tonundastand one thing Grandpa Alex,why ddnt u bring up issue of restructuring when an ineffectyal buffon was sharing free money through his mistress who now has 'cancer' and his a retired Colonel....smh.....fairweather political leaders

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by chibuzorAbia: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2016
oduastates:
Laughing.

Why?
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by bigtt76(f): 4:13pm On Oct 24, 2016
Who told him he would have become president? Dream on grin The 1983 coup was executed to remove the government back then because of violence and perceived corruption. Not because we didn't want you to become president sir! Would Dikko and Abiola have allowed you?

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by chibuzorAbia: 4:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
genghiskhan007:
l want tonundastand one thing Grandpa Alex,why ddnt u bring up issue of restructuring when an ineffectyal buffon was sharing free money through his mistress who now has 'cancer' and his a retired Colonel....smh.....fairweather political leaders

Ask the flat......
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 4:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
In the First Republic they had only one Long Session which lasted about six weeks for the consideration of the Appropriation Act and then another one for the Supplementary Appropriation Act, so they had two major sessions, and any other session was an emergency session lasting a few days, and they were all part-time members.

When they came, they were quartered in flats LEGCO Flats and they got sitting allowances on top of their salaries and salary wasn’t very much. Many of them were teachers, some local government officials and so on. But now, everybody who goes to the House of Representatives is a full-time person; he needs a fully furnished house, he needs legislative aides, he needs a constituency office.

Very very interesting. Like 989900AD pointed out.

If this can be reverted back to, perhaps things can go back to normal.

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by emeka2847: 4:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
Lolz
All this old men sef
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 4:20pm On Oct 24, 2016
bigtt76:
Who told him he would have become president? Dream on grin The 1983 coup was executed to remove the government back then because of violence and perceived corruption. Not because we didn't want you to become president sir! Would Dikko and Abiola have allowed you?

After Shagari second tenure which would have ended in 1986, Power would have naturally returned south and Ekwueme would be in prime position to clinch it with the support of his Northern party henchmen and Igbo population.

But the North wanted to retain power longer than 8 years,and it would have been difficult to do it in a democratic setting without appearing anti nationalist, so the corruption agenda was sold out to zombies, who bought it, and Gowon legitimized treason by accepting to replace a democratically elected president.

8 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by OlujobaSamuel: 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2016
chai, c history? abeg go back to sec sch, e be like sey dey don return history
Igboid:

After Shagari second tenure which would have ended in 1986, Power would have naturally returned south and Ekwueme would be in prime position to clinch it with the support of his Northern party henchmen and Igbo population.

But the North wanted to retain power longer than 8 years, so the corruption agenda was sold out to zombies, who bought it, and Gowon legitimized treason by accepting to replace a democratically elected president.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 4:27pm On Oct 24, 2016
Some have suggested the abolition of the states and for the six geopolitical zones to become the federating bodies. Do you concur?

The states don’t have to be abolished. It is a matter of nomenclature. When we had Eastern Region, we had 12 provinces which Michael Okpara created. Ogoja province, Calabar Province, Uyo Province, Annang Province, Enugu Province, Onitsha Province, Owerri Province, Umuahia Province and Port-Harcourt Province, Degema Province.

There were six provinces in the minority areas and six in the Igbo areas, and all these provinces had their provincial commissioners, had their assemblies and had their provincial scholarship boards.

Now this is interesting. cool The Eastern region was well organized.

9 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Padipadi(m): 4:44pm On Oct 24, 2016
989900D:
Too many useful things to take home from the old man's interview, I think the headline betrays the body of the article.

as in see dat truth

2 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by erikcantona: 4:45pm On Oct 24, 2016
Nigerians hw market?
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by TheRealestGuy(m): 4:56pm On Oct 24, 2016
My dear NLers, please read this long piece to learn a bit about history of this entity...

Mr sarrki, I see you have no patience to read thoroughly informative and intellectual articles like this one but you're always in a hurry to type crap with your slimy fingers...

Read, you cant...

10 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by armadeo(m): 5:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
sleeknick:
For this kind hunger naim u want pesin to read this long tin. Op ur dad angry

I swear I don't balk on reading but this one tire me.

Which kind epistle be this one. He suppose open 5 threads for this matters

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Vero2sleek(f): 5:53pm On Oct 24, 2016
If this was a thread about sex tape or exposed cleavage,... come and see comment. It is even clear that even with the multiple posts by the OP, most commentators did not read the entire posts. Nigerian youths have a glaring problem.
armadeo:

I swear I don't balk on reading but this one tire me.

Which kind epistle be this one. He suppose open 5 threads for this matters

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by preselect(m): 5:57pm On Oct 24, 2016
[size=18pt] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
can someone wake this guy up from his wild dreams. Nigeria doesnt need a coup to stop and igbo man from being president. they can always manufacture a reason why he wont be president.

the coup was simply bc Mr General Terrorhammadu has no business with democratically constituted authority. period[/size]

#StoryStory

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 24, 2016
Misleading title. Why take Umaru Dikko's words and put them in Ekuweme's mouth?

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by stronggman: 6:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Until the needful is done Nigeria will forever remain in intensive care unit. Until we stop celebrating mediocrity ahead of merit, until we stop recycling expired,incompetent,illitrate old fools, until we do away with ethnic hatred, religious bigotry, until we allow an Igboman take charge of affairs of this country as president, the entity called Nigeria will never see the light of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 24, 2016
decatalyst:
Why must you be president? angry

No mind the clown. Another child father of hate venting his frustration. How many elections after then. What stopped him from becoming President all that time.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by zaboy: 7:08pm On Oct 24, 2016
nice interview...but this is just one side's story, we need to hear from the other side.

But I am not really sure Umaru Dikko would have allowed Ekwueme have the Presidential ticket in 1987
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by datribune: 7:15pm On Oct 24, 2016
[b]Smh. I blame d military for not giving dis Pa Ekwueme & his then boss, Shagari, d " Jerry Rawlins treatment". Ghana dat suffered a similar fate like Nigeria, executed d crooks who raped their country to stupor. Shagari & his NPN kleptocracy consisted of d worst set of criminals masquerading as politicians who looted our nation to bankruptcy in d worst recession in our history. d thieving politicians looted dis nation to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called "essential commodities" disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Only few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more & more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed. No food, no jobs, no salaries. d nation was a time bomb & a descent to anarchy was imminent b4 d army struck.
d day Shagari & his NPN, were booted out of power, was probably one of d greatest days in Nigerian history. Pa Ekwueme & his cohorts hav done enough damage. He needs to bow out & keep thanking God dat d army showed him mercy.

[/b]
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Keegan: 7:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
1stCitizen:

No mind the clown. Another child father of hate venting his frustration. How many elections after then. What stopped him from becoming President all that time.

Can you imagine the frustrated old clown just waking up since 1983.
It's as if these people are becoming mentally deranged.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by uzoexcel(m): 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2016
Interesting thread
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by chibuzorAbia: 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2016
stronggman:
Until the needful is done Nigeria will forever remain in intensive care unit. Until we stop celebrating mediocrity ahead of merit, until we stop recycling expired,incompetent,illitrate old fools, until we do away with ethnic hatred, religious bigotry, until we allow an Igboman take charge of affairs of this country as president , the entity called Nigeria will never see the light of the day.

You dey smoke weed?
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by datribune: 7:43pm On Oct 24, 2016
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by EasternPride: 7:52pm On Oct 24, 2016
chibuzorAbia:

You dey smoke weed?

You can't really hide ur afonjalysis under that moniker, for too long broh.
Why always in haste to blow your cover?

2 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by armadeo(m): 9:05pm On Oct 24, 2016
Vero2sleek:
If this was a thread about sex tape or exposed cleavage,... come and see comment. It is even clear that even with the multiple posts by the OP, most commentators did not read the entire posts. Nigerian youths have a glaring problem.

dude face your side.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by kedeojo(m): 9:30pm On Oct 24, 2016
Igboid:
So the moral of the story.

Nigerians rejected such an intellectual like Ekwueme twice, first for a Military incompetent dictator in December 1983, and secondly in 1999 for another military dictator in civilian garments, all on the altar of tribalism.

And they all wonder why the country failed.

As if that wasn't enough, they recycled the incompetent dictator again in 2015, still on the altar of tribalism.

grin
you are a tribal bigot cos it suit you now. When he blamed Gej for not doing anything tangible for igbos, most of you rain abuse on him in dis very platform. I have never see a disorganise set of people in my life.

1 Like

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 9:32pm On Oct 24, 2016
datribune:
[b]Smh. I blame d military for not giving dis Pa Ekwueme & his then boss, Shagari, d " Jerry Rawlins treatment". Ghana dat suffered a similar fate like Nigeria, executed d crooks who raped their country to stupor. Shagari & his NPN kleptocracy consisted of d worst set of criminals masquerading as politicians who looted our nation to bankruptcy in d worst recession in our history. d thieving politicians looted dis nation to d extent dat no one would borrow d heavily indebted Nigeria any more money. There was no food, no money. Soap, milk, sugar etc popularly called "essential commodities" disappeared from d shelves just like in Zimbabwe. d federal govt could not pay staff salaries. Only few states were able to apply d IMO FORMULA - (half salary) pioneered by Kalu Idika Kalu d then Imo state comm 4 finance. Multinationals like kingsway, UTC, PZ etc left d country. Daily more & more people became unemployed. In short d economy collapsed. No food, no jobs, no salaries. d nation was a time bomb & a descent to anarchy was imminent b4 d army struck.
d day Shagari & his NPN, were booted out of power, was probably one of d greatest days in Nigerian history. Pa Ekwueme & his cohorts hav done enough damage. He needs to bow out & keep thanking God dat d army showed him mercy.

[/b]

Just imagine this level of Zombeism?

5 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Opharhe: 9:41pm On Oct 24, 2016
chibuzorAbia:

You dey smoke weed?
grin grin grin
EasternPride:

You can't really hide ur afonjalysis under that moniker, for too long broh.
Why always in haste to blow your cover?
Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Igboid: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2016
kedeojo:
you are a tribal bigot cos it suit you now. When he blamed Gej for not doing anything tangible for igbos, most of you rain abuse on him in dis very platform. I have never see a disorganise set of people in my life.

An Afonja, I guess.

3 Likes

Re: Ekwueme: Aim Of The 1983 Coup Was To Stop Me From Emerging The President In 1987 by Smooth278(m): 10:05pm On Oct 24, 2016
datribune:

[/b]

seems you are mistaking Buhari and idiagbon's regime for Shagari and Ekwueme's ... all this things you have listed all took place during the first coming of Buhari...

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Women And Youth For South East Rally At Owerri, Imo State. PICTORIAL. / Tinubu: Nigerians Shouldn’t Give Up On APC, We Will Do Better / Protest Over Death Of Nigerian In UK Prison Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.