Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes (21099 Views)

Anambra Hits N1.5BN Monthly Revenue / FG To Procure 40 Rice Mills For Self-sufficiency - Guardian Nigeria / Opposition Mounts As Nigeria Nears Rice Sufficiency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by AmericanQuarter: 5:29pm On Oct 24, 2016
The Anambra State Commissioner for Agriculture, Afam Mbanefo, said on Monday that the state has reached self-sufficiency in rice production.

Mr. Mbanefo made the disclosure at a Commodity Alliance Forum/Consultative meeting organised by the state Value Chain Development Programme (VCDP) in Awka.

The commissioner recalled that the state government had earlier targeted production of 210,000 metric tonnes of rice per annum.

“Based on the calculation of our expected yield, we are expecting to realise over 236,000 metric tonnes of rice in 2016 based on the production capacity.”

Mr. Mbanefo said the calculation was based on expected yield of 35 per cent of over 14,300 farmers and the activities of programmes like the VCDP and FADAMA.

He said the expected yield also included the activities of rice investors in the state, including Coscharis farms, Joseph Agro and others.

He said the state government was passionate about revolutionising agriculture and making it wealth creator, especially for unemployed youth willing to venture into the sector.

The commissioner, who said the state government ensured a linkage between farmers and off-takers, advised farmers yet to form cooperatives to do so.

Earlier, the National Programme Coordinator for VCDP, Ameh Onoja, said the aim of the programme was to assist the Federal Government to reduce spending on importation of rice.

According to him, the overall goal is to ensure that rural poverty is reduced and to ensure accelerated economic growth is achieved on a sustainable and inclusive basis.

Mr. Onoja, who was represented by Basil Esinulo, said the project was developed to address some major constraints militating against agricultural development such as the poor organisation of farmers, processors and marketing.

According to him, tremendous boost in rice production will be achieved to increase incomes and food security in the country.

The acting state Programme Coordinator for VCDP, Bonaventure Mochebe, said the forum was organised to deliberate on issues that affect farmers and to seek ways to address the challenges.

He said that the forum will link farmers with financial institutions, off-takers, civil society organisations and other stakeholders in the rice business.

Mr. Mochebe urged government to rescue farmers whose three hectares of rice farmland were destroyed by Fulani herdsmen.

He said on the sideline of the programme that Fulani herdsmen’s cattle had destroyed over three hectares of rice farmland.

The forum also witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), by the farmers, agro dealers and off-takers to strengthen their partnership and capacity of production.

(NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-east/213495-anambra-hits-210000-metric-tonnes-target-rice-production.html

15 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by fitzmayowa: 5:34pm On Oct 24, 2016
Good news...

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Aufbauh(m): 5:36pm On Oct 24, 2016
Seriously?? the headquarters of "Ugu republic" is at it again churning out achievement that some states have gone past the line without making any noise about it.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by ever811(m): 5:38pm On Oct 24, 2016
good news... but hope its not another ugu story....

3 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by EVarn(m): 5:41pm On Oct 24, 2016
A very welcome development at a time when Nigerians import rice worth over N356 billion per annum.
Other Riverine states like Benue and Edo should adopt this initiative,supported by the federal government.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:42pm On Oct 24, 2016
Anambra rice

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by juman(m): 5:43pm On Oct 24, 2016
You see.
Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Blue3k(m): 5:44pm On Oct 24, 2016
Interesting it seems they are doing nice numbers congrats to them.

AmericanQuarter:

The acting state Programme Coordinator for VCDP, Bonaventure Mochebe, said the forum was organised to deliberate on issues that affect farmers and to seek ways to address the challenges.

He said that the forum will link farmers with financial institutions, off-takers, civil society organisations and other stakeholders in the rice business.

Seems like good start. I'm wondering if they've formed any co-ps and talking to local banks.

AmericanQuarter:

Mr. Mochebe urged government to rescue farmers whose three hectares of rice farmland were destroyed by Fulani herdsmen.

He said on the sideline of the programme that Fulani herdsmen’s cattle had destroyed over three hectares of rice farmland.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-east/213495-anambra-hits-210000-metric-tonnes-target-rice-production.html[/i]

As usual vandal herdsmen destroying property. The state needs to be enforcing property right by throwing these vandals in jail. Then making them pay for damages by auctioning cow if need be.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by wristbangle: 6:20pm On Oct 24, 2016
Noise making and exaggerating figures as usual.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by LoveMachine(m): 6:23pm On Oct 24, 2016
Take note. This is government in action! APGA is far from perfect but they have done quite well here.

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by magaliyu(f): 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2016
Change begins in Anambra.

14 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Mujaheeeden: 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2016
All this AUDIO rice everywhere that we can't buy

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Mujaheeeden: 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:
oil soup in action

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:00pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:
I'm 100% sure your state governor go buy Anambra rice for 2019 governorship campaign grin grin

110 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by frleopardo: 7:13pm On Oct 24, 2016
God bless my Anambra.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by frleopardo: 7:16pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:
Afonjamudeen

80 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Ejanla07: 7:30pm On Oct 24, 2016
ofcourse the afonja shudren of hate doing wat dey know best

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by nwabobo: 7:31pm On Oct 24, 2016
Aufbauh:
Seriously?? the headquarters of "Ugu republic" is at again churning out achievement that some states have gone past the line without making any noise about it.

Since this one was deported from Germany, he's been talking off point.

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:35pm On Oct 24, 2016
I read tru but saw nothing definitive here.

7 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by dEastActivist: 7:42pm On Oct 24, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
I read tru but saw nothing definitive here.

We are not even expecting you to find it, since you mistook the thread for osun Amala thread. cheesy

112 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by wristbangle: 7:48pm On Oct 24, 2016
post=50477018:

I'm 100% sure your state governor go buy Anambra rice for 2019 governorship campaign grin grin

Lol why should amosun buy your rice when ofada, the most delicious local rice in naija is here! grin. Na wa for my Ugwu brothers. Meanwhile I negotiated for your rice at onitsha market and the difference is little compare to imported rice which is 22k.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by wristbangle: 7:49pm On Oct 24, 2016
frleopardo:
Afonjamudeen

Lol Ugwuchukwu! wink

8 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:56pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:

Lol why should amosun buy your rice when ofada, the most delicious local rice in naija is here! grin. Na wa for my Ugwu brothers. Meanwhile I negotiated for your rice at onitsha market and the difference is little compare to imported rice which is 22k.
Sorry for quoting you I never knew you came from state that bad news is their trade mark. grin grin

66 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by orimsamsam(m): 8:00pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:

Lol Ugwuchukwu! wink
the questions is how much is the rice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:03pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:

Adeboye urges FG to emulate Obiano’s diversification programme
The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to fulfill his economic promises to Nigerians.

Adeboye said this while addressing a group of businessmen and women at the RCCG Headquarters, Ebute-Metta, Lagos.

Speaking through his Assistant General Overseer on Administration and Personnel, Pastor Johnson Odesola, Adeboye advised the government to borrow a leaf from the Governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano, who has been injecting funds into the state for rice production and other programmes that could turn things around for the state.

He noted that agriculture was the main focus of the government before crude oil was discovered. According to him, people should go back to agriculture, while governments at all levels should also encourage people to engage in small-scale farming.

He enjoined businessmen to conduct their affairs with the fear of God and also remember to always give God what belongs to Him.
http://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/ibru-ecumenical-centre/adeboye-urges-fg-to-emulate-obianos-diversification-programme/

46 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by BALLOSKI: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2016
Sai Obiano!

7 Likes

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by wristbangle: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2016
post=50478273:

Sorry for quoting you I never knew you came from state that bad news is their trade marks. grin grin

Lol. Thanks bro. Despite the news as claimed by media stunts, it still remain the most industrialised state in Nigeria. When will u come to my state? I will cook confirm ofada rice for you that will reset your brain. wink

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by wristbangle: 8:09pm On Oct 24, 2016
orimsamsam:
the questions is how much is the rice

For ogun state, na 12-15k depending on the brand of rice. How much 4 ya side?
Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by Anambra1stSon(m): 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:

[s]Lol. Thanks bro. Despite the news as claimed by media stunts, it still remain the most industrialised state in Nigeria. When will u come to my state? I will cook confirm ofada rice for you that will reset your brain. wink[/s]
Most industrialized according to Afonja propaganda grin grin cheesy grin grin go tell you governor to pay workers salaries we no dey the same level

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by orimsamsam(m): 8:28pm On Oct 24, 2016
wristbangle:

For ogun state, na 12-15k depending on the brand of rice. How much 4 ya side?
am talking about Anambra.

Rice is expensive here guess 22 thousand naira for imported rice. Local rice is cheaper but it is unrefined.
Re: Anambra Hits Self-sufficiency In Rice Production- Premiumtimes by orimsamsam(m): 8:31pm On Oct 24, 2016
post=50478273:

Sorry for quoting you I never knew you came from state that bad news is their trade marks. grin grin
kilo soooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Aregbesola Inspects Ongoing Projects In Osun State / Return One Illegal AK 47 Rifle, Collect N1m, Gov. Yari Assures / Don’t Check Your Husband’s Phones – Kwankwaso Advises Women At Kano Mass Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.