Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,841 members, 7,838,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Bonfrere Fancies Nigeria Return - Do You Support His Reappointment? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bonfrere Fancies Nigeria Return - Do You Support His Reappointment? (661 Views)

‘My Earlier Decision Stands’ – Enyeama Rules Out Nigeria Return / Bonfrere Jo Unimpressed With Eagles / Bonfrere Fancies Nigeria Return - Nigeria The Cashcow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bonfrere Fancies Nigeria Return - Do You Support His Reappointment? by saworoide: 11:40am On Oct 25, 2009
Dutchman Jo Bonfrere has admitted to BBC Sport that he is keen to coach Nigeria for a third time.

His intervention will increase pressure on the current incumbent, Shaibu Amodu.

The 63-year-old was assistant coach of the Super Eagles from 1990 to 1994 and then led Nigeria's under-23 team to gold at the Atlanta Olympics.

He coached the senior side at the Nations Cup in 2000 but was sacked in 2001 following defeat to Sierra Leone in a World Cup qualifying match.

Amodu's position has been the subject of constant debate as Nigeria have struggled through their campaign for a place at the global showpiece in South Africa 2010.

They need a win in their final group game against Kenya plus a slip-up by table-topping Tunisia against Mozambique to qualify.

"If Nigeria are interested in having me back, I will be very interested in the possibility of returning 'home'," Bonfrere told the BBC.

"I think my track record speaks volumes [and] I still have an undying ambition to return Nigeria to the good old glory days."

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have said they have no plans to appoint a foreign coach, after the dismissal of German Berti Vogts in 2008.

Yet Bonfrere insists he can revive the Super Eagles from their current troubles.

"It is a shame that no one has ever taken the country to the height I left it eight years ago, though the team is full of great players and great potential," Bonfrere told BBC Sport.

"I watch the team nowadays and clearly understand what is missing, which is why I would prefer to return to my first love - Nigerian football."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/8324092.stm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since he left Nigeria, where has he been and what has been his achievements?
Re: Bonfrere Fancies Nigeria Return - Do You Support His Reappointment? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 25, 2009
I support bonfere jo's return.Since he left,Nigeria has never gotten to nations cup final in 8yrs,except 3rd place.No coach has won olympic football gold for nigeria since 96,except sia1 who was bonfere's boy since 91 under westerhoff.Bonfere is still our best coach to date,with achievement no 1 has beaten

(1) (Reply)

Thank You Mozambique / Say A Word To Our Super Eagles For Qualifying To The 2010 World Cup. / Nigeria - Egypt (Say Your Prediction, say your mind)CAN, 12 Jan. 2010

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.