Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (10897 Views)

Meet Josiah Jesse Ransome-Kuti, The First Nigerian Artist To Release Music Album / Fela, Falana And Dr Ransome-kuti In Court (Throwback Photo) / Funmilayo Ransome-kuti's 117th Posthumous Birthday Is Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Suurulere(m): 4:56am On Oct 25, 2016
Frances Abigail Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti (nee Thomas) was born on 25 October 1900, in Abeokuta . Her father was a son of a returnee slave from Sierra Leone, who had traced his ancestral history back to Abeokuta in what is today Ogun State, Nigeria.

Throughout hercareer, she was known as an educator and activist. Shefounded an organization for women in Abeokuta, with a membership tally of over 20,000 individuals spanning both literate and illiterate women.

In 1949, she led a protest against Native Authorities, especially against the Alake of Egbaland . She presented documents alleging abuse of authority by the Alake, who had been granted the right to collect the taxes by his colonial suzerain, the Government of the United Kingdom.

Funmilayo Ransome Kuti campaigned for women’s votes’ She was for many years a member of the ruling National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons party, but was later expelled when she was not elected to a federal parliamentary seat. At the NCNC, she was the treasurer and subsequent president of the Western NCNC women’s Association. However, she never truly ended her activism. In the 1950s, she was one of the few women elected to the house of chiefs.

In old age her activism was over-shadowed by that of her three sons, who provided effective opposition to various Nigerian military juntas. In 1978, Funmilayo was thrown from a second-floor window when her son Fela’s compound, a commune known as the Kalakuta Republic, was stormed by one thousand armed military personnel. She lapsed into a coma in February of that year, and died on 13 April 1978, as a result of her injuries.

www.historyvilleng.com/2016/09/03/10-greatest-nigerians-in-political-history/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Wizzyblack3(m): 4:59am On Oct 25, 2016
One of many who doesn't agree with PMB that women should actually belong to the kitchen but also have a voice and a role to play in developing our dear nation.

FTC#1- dedicated to madam Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti. Continue to rest in peace iron woman.

God punish the unknown soldiers.

10 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by youngaz(m): 6:03am On Oct 25, 2016
What a gruesome way 2 die...
She's d 1st woman 2 drive car in Nigeria uhn? And i know dey were rich...bt why did his son (Fela) turn like dat...i mean he really gave d govt sleepless night bt why was he obsessed wit sex like dat...coz "dey said" he slept wit all dose ladies dah used 2 dance 4 im...therefore contracting AIDS...wow!...wat a life...
Rest in peace and nt in pieces oo Funmi

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by lyterydim(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2016
The brown ruff republican Juju originated from that family .
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 25, 2016
youngaz:
She's d 1st woman 2 drive car in Nigeria uhn? And i know dey were rich...bt why did his son (Fela) turn like dat...i mean he really gave d govt sleepless night bt why was he obsessed wit sex like dat...coz "dey said" he slept wit all dose ladies dah used 2 dance 4 im...therefore contracting AIDS...wow!...wat a life...

Boy, if you ever disrespect the legend Fela again, Ama Bìtch smack you across the face soo fvcking hard from my screen.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Chipappii(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2016
A great Afonja Woman, one of the greatest. Doing things most afonja men can't do. Led a protest against a bad ruler. Meanwhile her kinsmen are busy licking the scrotum of a dullard.
grin grin

Happy PH B'day ma

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Cutehector(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2016
K
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by OmoIyaMero: 7:39am On Oct 25, 2016
In Fela's voice "Dem kill my Mama"
Happy birthday Iya Fela. U truly made of black.

2 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Honza27(m): 7:40am On Oct 25, 2016
Strong woman
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Bitterleafsoup: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2016
Fela you will never believe who sufferheads use thumb and vote to power?
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ajoskele(m): 7:41am On Oct 25, 2016
Woman wey send king comot throne..
I hail oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by fourfunmi: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2016
Strong woman!
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Akinwerndey: 7:43am On Oct 25, 2016
Only if ladies of this generation can do better than her and not belong to the kitchen, living room and the other room...
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ShaqFu: 7:44am On Oct 25, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:
Fela you will never believe who sufferheads use thumb and vote to power?
I'm sure he won't be a fan of PMB, neither will he be a fan of GEJ.

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by unmark1: 7:47am On Oct 25, 2016
Wonderful woman she was
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Bitterleafsoup: 7:52am On Oct 25, 2016
ShaqFu:
I'm sure he won't be a fan of PMB, neither will he be a fan of GEJ.
You don't know who kill his Mama?
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Jalubarika(m): 7:53am On Oct 25, 2016
She must have loved sex too bad.
She liked being on top while the man being under.
She loved fame and power.
I say it again, She loved Upper-Cut.
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by ShaqFu: 7:53am On Oct 25, 2016
Bitterleafsoup:
You don't know who kill his Mama?
Unknown soldiers killed his mama. Or you know who killed her?

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by emvico(m): 7:54am On Oct 25, 2016
angry pls is she now? heaven or hell?
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by orimsamsam(m): 7:56am On Oct 25, 2016
Chipappii:
A great Afonja Woman, one of the greatest. Doing things most afonja men can't do. Led a protest against a bad ruler. Meanwhile her kinsmen are busy licking the scrotum of a dullard.
grin grin
Happy PH B'day ma
and am sure she far greater than all ur heroes in Biafra. Flattie's

Happy birthday iya fela

7 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by bcgeorgeto(m): 7:57am On Oct 25, 2016
youngaz:

if he died of AIDS how come dos gals he slept with didn't contact it....how many of dos gals died as a result of d disease dnt let anybody fool u..... fela is a legend n didn't die of AIDS

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Roon9(m): 7:57am On Oct 25, 2016
Furthermore, she was one of the five emissaries sent to colonial Britain to seek for self governance for Nigeria. It's just sad that the British selectively picked candidates that they can easily control for key positions in Nigeria.
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Bitterleafsoup: 8:01am On Oct 25, 2016
ShaqFu:
Unknown soldiers killed his mama. Or you know who killed her?
Unknown Soldiers = Sufferheads a.k.a Zombies a.k.a Beast Of No Nation a.k.a Egbekegbe a.k.a Bad Society a.k.a Army Arrangement a.k.a I.T.T (International Thief Thief) a.k.a V.I.P (Vagabonds In Power)

This is the same life we find ourselves in

2 Likes

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Iamdmentor1(m): 8:04am On Oct 25, 2016
RIP legend....

Meanwhile, check out dmentorlive..com

And thank me later
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by chacoonder(m): 8:04am On Oct 25, 2016
She wasn't the first woman to own a car but she was the first to drive. How did she do that?..lol..A Great woman with great children (excluding Olikoye)
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Roon9(m): 8:07am On Oct 25, 2016
chacoonder:
She wasn't the first woman to own a car but she was the first to drive. How did she do that?..lol..A Great woman with great children (excluding Olikoye)

I say potato you say tomato.... the kind of affluence she had, mama could easily have gotten 10 cars

1 Like

Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Roon9(m): 8:09am On Oct 25, 2016
youngaz:

Lols! U r really youngaz
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by shine12: 8:09am On Oct 25, 2016
Wingback:

Boy, if you ever disrespect the legend Fela again, Ama Bìtch smack you across the face soo fvcking hard from my screen.
That's what we are still saying,He is asking questions not disrespecting.
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by Chipappii(m): 8:16am On Oct 25, 2016
orimsamsam:
and am sure she far greater than all ur heroes in Biafra. Flattie's

Happy birthday iya fela
I won't exchange words with you because you have no brain.

Procure one first, show me a receipt, then we can talk.
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by femi4: 8:16am On Oct 25, 2016
chacoonder:
Who owns Olikoye ransom Kuti?
Re: Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti's 116th Posthumous Birthday Is Today by youngaz(m): 8:18am On Oct 25, 2016
Wingback:

cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy
C'mon i wasn't trynna disrespect him nah...who in his right senses will disrespect a legend...am just saying wat i heard... I quoted d "dey said" part wich means I'm open 2 corrections of which some pple are doin already...so no disrespect there ooo...gringrin
bt can u seriously smack my face 4rm d screen of yah fone?grincheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cossy Ojiakor Gigantic Boobs Spill Out At Her 30th Birthday Party(see Photos) / Comedian, Ushe Bebe Pays Tribute to his beautiful Mother who died 10yrs ago / I Just Might Be One Of The Hottest Nairander To Grace This Platform Pics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.