Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,261 members, 7,954,000 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:37 AM

How To Deal With The Tribalism Of Nairaland From Mr. Femi Adebajo - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Deal With The Tribalism Of Nairaland From Mr. Femi Adebajo (458 Views)

Someone Offered To Buy Nairaland From Seun / Join Me Celebrate As I Hit 100 Shares On Nairaland From Feb-november 2016 / Join Me Celebrate As I Hit 1000 Likes On Nairaland From Feb-march (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Deal With The Tribalism Of Nairaland From Mr. Femi Adebajo by naijalander: 10:08pm On Oct 25, 2016
Read:

A hypothetical marriage scenario would illustrate a good way of managing some of the interactions between us Nigerians.

Let's imagine that Mr X is married to Mrs Y. Mr X's father is blind in one eye and Mrs Y's mother is blind in both eyes. One day, they have a row and Mrs Y, in a fit of pique, calls Mr Y 'you son of a one-eyed father'. A wicked riposte is quite obvious and would be a reflex response of an unthinking person. However, if Mr X were mindful of the underlying love and desired a positive joint future, he'd bite his tongue, let the insult ride and leave a gentle admonition for much letter. That is not weakness but true strength.

This is an approach I have found useful when I come across ethnic taunts and abuse on social media. Clever ripostes, cruel put downs and coruscating criticism are all too readily available and tempting, especially to those temperamentally suited to low-grade conflict, but avail us little over the long term. It is easier to avoid creating wounds than to repair them.

My own practice, when faced with such insults (your people are drug pushers, tribalists, ritualists, cowards, kidnappers, murderers, conniving bastards, disloyal backbiters, etc) is a step back, a rueful smile and a gentle redaction where possible, or even a humorous distraction. It does not ignore the infraction but merely seeks to manage the resolution positively. I recommend it to my friends.

Femi Adebajo
Re: How To Deal With The Tribalism Of Nairaland From Mr. Femi Adebajo by blexyz1: 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2016
k
Re: How To Deal With The Tribalism Of Nairaland From Mr. Femi Adebajo by ADEWALE7777: 9:49pm On Oct 29, 2016
naijalander:
Read:

A hypothetical marriage scenario would illustrate a good way of managing some of the interactions between us Nigerians.

Let's imagine that Mr X is married to Mrs Y. Mr X's father is blind in one eye and Mrs Y's mother is blind in both eyes. One day, they have a row and Mrs Y, in a fit of pique, calls Mr Y 'you son of a one-eyed father'. A wicked riposte is quite obvious and would be a reflex response of an unthinking person. However, if Mr X were mindful of the underlying love and desired a positive joint future, he'd bite his tongue, let the insult ride and leave a gentle admonition for much letter. That is not weakness but true strength.

This is an approach I have found useful when I come across ethnic taunts and abuse on social media. Clever ripostes, cruel put downs and coruscating criticism are all too readily available and tempting, especially to those temperamentally suited to low-grade conflict, but avail us little over the long term. It is easier to avoid creating wounds than to repair them.

My own practice, when faced with such insults (your people are drug pushers, tribalists, ritualists, cowards, kidnappers, murderers, conniving bastards, disloyal backbiters, etc) is a step back, a rueful smile and a gentle redaction where possible, or even a humorous distraction. It does not ignore the infraction but merely seeks to manage the resolution positively. I recommend it to my friends.

Femi Adebajo
have you seen the land for sale sir? There are lands here in iseyin for sale call or whatsapp 08117928126

(1) (Reply)

Have You Seen This Amazing Made In Benin Pure Water? / Art For The Tune "Ori" By Ola Blackz / Just Stumbled Upon This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.