Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade (1124 Views)

10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award / Who Is The Most Underrated Artiste In The Nigerian Music Industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade by Prestdude: 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2016
There is no better way to spit this out, but some very talented Nigerian artistes have been blatantly underrated and it hurts. Again, it’s may be a little difficult to place, the reason why their talents and hardwork doesn’t meet with commensurate recognition and applause. From time to time these group of artistes have proved their mettle, but alas, e be like say the Nigerian music industry is sleeping on them. In most cases, they don’t get to bag major awards, the best they can land are nominations. It looks like they are just used to complete the count. They never make it as our best artiste, it’s hard to describe them as the hottest thing on the music scene at the moment. They rarely headline big concerts. Being called underrated even becomes an understatement.

Fact is that they are a caldron of bubbling talent, their talent is never in short supply. These group of Nigerian artistes have been solid for the most part, achieved plausible feats, dropped dope material and have come through a number of times. Yet still we are snoring on them. They are never the ones we get to hype, we rarely swoon over them. It seems they are always just a step shy of hitting their jackpots. Therefore, it is only suitable they wear the tag of the “underrated Nigerian artiste”.

BURNA BOY

Before you tear yourself apart, for the most part Burna Boy has been very underrated and overlooked. Burna Boy whose real name is Damini Ogulu is a Nigerian patois spitting dancehall and pop artiste. Personally, I want to say Burna spits patois better than ——– you know who am talking about, fill in the gap. Burna has been very much a sub not the main meal at very serious concerts. It’s only recently Burna Boy had the chance to headline a concert alone in the UK. I am very much in doubt that feat would have been achieved back here in Nigeria his home country. For an artiste of his repertoire, he has not received much love from the industry in terms of awards. I can’t remember the last award Burna Boy won based on his individual efforts. Hope you get my point.

JESSE JAGZ

Jesse is almost phenomenal with everything he does. Yet he doesn’t get recognized as the best hip-hop artiste, why? He has only been able to take home lyricist of the year award from the Headies, nothing major I can remember in recent times. From time to time ’emperor jagz’ has producing solid materials yet he gets the snub. He is one rapper who hasn’t joined the singing gang yet.

RUNTOWN

“A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.” The above biblical quote sums up the case of Runtown. Half the cheers Runtown gets outside the shores of Nigeria is yet to be accorded him here at home. Can anyone remember the Enugu born is the first brand ambassador for Adidas in Africa? His debut album Ghetto University made him top 5 Most Streamed Artist” in Nigeria, generating over N35 million turn over on MTN Music Plus. Douglas Agu seems not to get enough respect in spite of his feats in the music industry in a short span.

SOLIDSTAR

Will you be shocked to know that Solid Star has just one award, and zero nominations as reflected in his Wikipedia page? For the record Solid Star has been officially active from 2010 until now. You will get my point when you think of new comers like Korede Bello, Adekunle Gold, Reekado Banks and Kiss Daniel having more recognition than this fine singer. This brother has been dropping some tight jams over time. It’s unclear why he hasn’t bagged at least any important nominations since he won an award in 2010. This is the epitome of being so underrated. ‘Omotena’, ‘Skibo’, ‘Oluchi’ and ‘Wait’ are some of his best offering. What could be the missing link for Solid Star.

YUNG6IX

Onome Onokohwomo aka Yung6ix self-styled king of the south is a Nigerian hip-hop practitioner. In a climate were Nigerian rappers and hip-hop artistes are turning to singing, Yung6ix is one rapper who I consider is keeping it real as far as rapping goes. It bugs me when the Warri breed rapper is ranked below colleagues who have started singing Fuji and Highlife. Dude makes good rap lyrics with witty play on words, well served punchlines and delivery. Why does the music industry sleep on him? Unfortunately, rapper Yung6ix has worn the tag as an underrated rapper for too long. It’s time to take it off. Put some respek on his name.

EVA ALORDIAH

Eva is Nigeria’s most popular Femcee and also one of the most underrated females music acts. It’s not easy being a hip-hop practitioner in Nigeria talk more of being a female rapper. Most be why she doesn’t hold much attention.

What's your take on the list? You are free to add as well as subtract from the list..

Source - http://wadupnaija.com/2016/10/top-6-most-underrated-nigerian-artistes-of-the-decade.html
Re: Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade by Oblitz(m): 6:06pm On Oct 27, 2016
Re: Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade by Galacious1: 6:17pm On Oct 27, 2016
They are not underrated.,prolly they ain't hot enuf. I'm not a naija music fan but I keep seeing Olamide, wizkid,davido, Yemi alade and patoranking faces everywhere I go. That's wat i call HOTNESS
Re: Top 6 Most Underrated Nigerian Artistes Of The Decade by Icansing: 11:38am On Oct 29, 2016
Remove solid star there abeg

(1) (Reply)

Wizkid Breaks Another World Record ! Alongside Jay Z, Drake, Kendrick Lamar / Olamide – "Science Student" (audio) / MUSIC: Zoro Ft. Paragon, Mecorn, Zee & Lio Steve – Mbada(remix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.