Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks (2391 Views)

Baby Girl's Face Mutilated With Tribal Marks (Photo) / Nigerian Lady With Tribal Marks Almost Committed Suicide (Photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 4:16am On Oct 28, 2016
In Yorubaland, tribal marks (called “Ila”) were primarily used for beautifying the face and body. The process has existed for over 200 years – they were first used as a means of identification during the era of the slave trade – but the practice has been waning gradually.

The incredibly talented artist Babajide Olatunji uses charcoal and pastels to create art that is so realistic, they are regularly confused for pictures, and his stunning Tribal Mark series is no exception.

“It’s not just about documenting tribal marks, when I see portraits done by Europeans, Americans and Nigerians, they do portraits of public figures, hollywood stars, etc – those people are beautiful to them.

But the people beautiful to me are the people I see everyday, the people I see on the bus, the person I buy roasted corn from, the bus conductor, just the random man on the street, someone I’ll see now and I’ll never see again in my lifetime.”
You can check out more of Babajide Olatunji’s work on his Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/babajidebolatunji/
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 4:19am On Oct 28, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 4:19am On Oct 28, 2016

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by Flexherbal(m): 4:47am On Oct 28, 2016
Cool !
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 5:01am On Oct 28, 2016

1 Like

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 5:02am On Oct 28, 2016

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by kikies(m): 5:09am On Oct 28, 2016
I dey Ibadan right now,the kain tribal marks wey I don see for pple cheek ehn no b here oooo.......thus I draw this conclusion;their parents gt beef with them

2 Likes

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by adioolayi(m): 5:46am On Oct 28, 2016
All of these are not Yoruba Tribal Marks...Your Title is misleading angry
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 5:49am On Oct 28, 2016
adioolayi:
All of these are not Yoruba Tribal Marks...Your Title is misleading angry

Apparently you dont know Yorubas.
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by onomeasike: 6:02am On Oct 28, 2016
Where's Ila Owu and Ondo na?) undecided
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 6:28am On Oct 28, 2016
onomeasike:
Where's Ila Owu and Ondo na?) undecided

In here.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_tribal_marks
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ajokebelle(f): 6:41am On Oct 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

The Last 3 are not Yoruba marks, they belong to the north eastern part of Nigeria, majorly the Kanuris.

3 Likes

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 1:20pm On Oct 28, 2016
ajokebelle:

The Last 3 are not Yoruba marks, they belong to the north eastern part of Nigeria, majorly the Kanuris.

Scholars agree Yoruba, Kanuri, Sudan share some tribal marks. If you see marks similar or same between Yoruba and Kanuri it should not surprise.
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by geosegun(m): 3:34pm On Oct 28, 2016
I know this may sounds weird but I really love moderate tribal marks on ladies (like that no. 1 with just 1 instead of 3). It gives them some kind of gentle and innocent looks.
I am friends to ladies that have minor tribal marks like that, although they all reavealed that they never liked the tribal marks. cheesy
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by orimsam: 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

I agree with him. Some of the tribal marks are not yorubas

4 Likes

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by YourNemesis: 5:28pm On Oct 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

Scholars agree Yoruba, Kanuri, Sudan share some tribal marks. If you see marks similar or same between Yoruba and Kanuri it should not surprise.

no they don't.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 7:33pm On Oct 28, 2016
YourNemesis:

no they don't.

So I have presented Yoruba marks. Now present Kanuri marks so we can resolve the dispute.
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by ImperialYoruba: 7:38pm On Oct 28, 2016
geosegun:
I know this may sounds weird but I really love moderate tribal marks on ladies (like that no. 1 with just 1 instead of 3). It gives them some kind of gentle and innocent looks.
I am friends to ladies that have minor tribal marks like that, although they all reavealed that they never liked the tribal marks. cheesy

Yoy are correct. I notice ladies ladies that never had tribal marks are now getting some artifical markings to look like the ones you find delighting and honestly it is working for them. They get more hits from guys who find the cosmetic addition sexy. My girl has a cosmetic mark like the first picture and she is hot compared to her picture before the add. Thats what led me to start looking at tribal marks and i came upon this site.

I agree witj your take.
Re: Incredibly Realistic Paintings Explore The Art Of Yoruba Tribal Marks by geosegun(m): 10:35am On Oct 29, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

Yoy are correct. I notice ladies ladies that never had tribal marks are now getting some artifical markings to look like the ones you find delighting and honestly it is working for them. They get more hits from guys who find the cosmetic addition sexy. My girl has a cosmetic mark like the first picture and she is hot compared to her picture before the add. Thats what led me to start looking at tribal marks and i came upon this site.

I agree witj your take.

I am happy I found someone who thinks the way I do when it comes to moderate tribal marks like the one I stated above?
I recently met a lady in Lagos last month who had a moderate one and she was surprised and happy that a man could like such a mark. It increases her confidence level as I assure her that most decent and serious guys will be coming her way bros of it. She should be thankful to her grandma that gave her the mark. She posited that she rarely find people who do appreciate her tribal marks. Now she knows better. But even at that she wished she never had it wink

Now since you feel the same. I don't think it's weird again for me cheesy. However I do not appreciate the more conspicuous, and excessive tribal marks.

Just my take

(1) (Reply)

How Yoruba Kings Practiced Sex Slavery In Pre Colonial Days / The Igbo Calendar ('igbo: Ògụ́àfọ̀ ) / About Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.