Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,226 members, 7,829,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg (638 Views)

Why The N50 Charge By Fg Is Corruption In Itself / Nnamdi Kanu Charged With Treasonable Felony By FG / Abuja Bomb Blast Victims Allege Neglect By FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg by mbulela: 7:03am On Oct 27, 2009
From Omon-Julius Onabu in Warri, 10.27.2009

Former militant leader, “General” John Togo, has expressed concern over the failure of both the Federal Government and Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State to open to him the negotiation door since he surrendered his arms in late September, along with about 300 of former fighters.
He said that he had come under immense pressure from the former armed youths under his command because his group of repentant militants appears to have been sidelined in the ongoing post-amnesty arrangement, saying his boys were prepared to return to the trenches in the creeks if it turned out that he had been deceived into surrendering his weapons.
In an e-mailed statement to THISDAY in Warri yesterday, titled “A Piece of Match can consume a Forest”, the former Niger-Delta “warlord” advised for immediate correction of what he called an anomaly in the overall interest of the region and the country.
He warned the Federal Government against heeding the misleading counsel of certain selfish individuals and politicians in order to avoid the mistake of believing the post-amnesty peace process could be successful once some “alpha and omega” in the region had been co-opted.
He said the security Joint Task Force (JTF) and ex-militants in the entire region could testify to his pre-amnesty exploits, enough to warn those that appeared to be toying with him to have a rethink without further delay.
He stressed that what was agreed on during the negotiations leading to disarmament was that the amnesty or post-amnesty programme would be all-inclusive, rather than a sectional or politicized affair that it seemed to be assuming now.

Togo, who claims the Ijaw title of “Mein Bolou Dau Ogbo” of Niger-Delta, however commended President Umaru Yar’Adua for his peace efforts in Niger-Delta, particularly the unprecedented declaration and enforcement of the presidential amnesty for then militants in the region including him, stressing that freedom remains a priceless thing.
“I am commending him because it has not happened anywhere in the world that arms of a rebel group are surrendered voluntarily and without bloodshed. But our president used his endowed wisdom to retrieve arms by a mere granting of amnesty to us. I embraced it and surrendered arms with 300 fighters under my command in Delta State. I am enjoying my freedom because there is nothing like freedom of life”.
But Togo, who surrendered to the presidential amnesty committee in Bomadi Local Government Area of Delta State, said “neither Mr. President nor my state governor, Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan has deemed it fit to open a discussion with me for way forward. I feel deceived and sidelined in the whole peace process.
“However, I want to tell Mr. President that nobody has alpha and omega power in Niger-Delta as far as arms struggle is concerned. I have had my record and all past and present JTF commanders can attest to that.
“I do not mind whether I have endorsed a white paper not to go back to the creek, if the government at various quarters fail to open a negotiation with me quickly.
My boys are on my neck that I have deceived them after dropping arms. Government should not forget the saying that “a piece of match stick can consume a forest. This is not a mere threat, if am neglected.
“I know Mr. President has done a good job by embarking on peace process in Niger-Delta; I don’t want to be the one to crumble the ongoing peace process in Niger-Delta. But if the government feels otherwise, I will be obliged to also think otherwise. I am aware Mr. President has been misdirected by politicians not to open discussion with Generals like us. And if is true, that is a fatal mistake to the peace process. In the military, all Generals have equal treatment.
“Therefore, I am warning the government to start negotiating with abandoned militant leaders like us for permanent peace in Niger Delta to reign. Look, even though we have surrendered our weapons, if we want to go back to the creek. We know where and how to secure our arms within Nigeria and outside the borders of this country.
“Finally, I still maintain the amnesty granted to me by Mr. President and I will continue to protect it, if the government wishes me to do so. The post-amnesty negotiation should not be partial. The development of oil bearing Niger-Delta villages is not negotiable; but the negotiation should take Abuja city as a case-study for permanent peace to reign in Niger Delta.”
Re: Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg by mbulela: 7:04am On Oct 27, 2009
very funny.
all these comedy in the theater of absurdity,we call country.
na wa.
Re: Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg by Goldmind1(m): 7:42am On Oct 27, 2009
Oh! You are just coming to know that Nigerian government is a fraud. I pity you.
Re: Ex-militant, Chief Togo, Protests Neglect By Fg by WilyWily: 1:46pm On Oct 27, 2009
General John Togo, You have made your self a laughing stock. Fulani man gave you amnesty. Keep disgracing yourSelf. All of you that handed his/her Weapon are just like laying coffin that will soon enter 6feet. Keep crying how you will go to Abuja to See a Sick half Dead Fulani Nigeria President, Wait soon blood will start coming out of your eye.

(1) (Reply)

Can A Nigerian Woman Be The President Of This Country? / Sanusi Plans To Sell Oceanic Bank To Friends / Yar’adua Leaves Intensive Care; May Break Silence Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.