Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities (2050 Views)

#RiversRerun: INEC Releases Latest Results From Election / INEC Bars APC From Presenting Candidates In Senatorial Rerun Election / Graphic Photos From Election Shooting In Nembe LGA, Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 27, 2009
Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Anambra governorship candidate, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, has yet another battle to fight as the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday announced he would be excluded from activities leading to the February 6, 2010 election, on account of a court order. Also, the electoral umpire has picked issues with the party over the controversial method through which Soludo emerged as its flagbearer. But in yet another twist, Judge B. O. Nwankwo of the Anambra High Court yesterday granted an injunction restraining INEC from removing Soludo's name as the candidate of the PDP in the governorship poll. The injunction followed a prayer sought by Okey Muo Aroh, one of the 47 aspirants in the botched PDP governorship primaries. INEC's decision to officially exclude Soludo follows an Abuja High Court order restraining him from parading himself as the party candidate. According to the Anambra State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Chief Rowland Uwa, who spoke to newsmen in Awka, the Anambra State capital, the commission had no option than to obey the Abuja court order which was served on it yesterday. Uwa, however, explained it was only Soludo as a candidate and not the party that is being excluded from the activities that would lead to the governorship election next year. He disclosed that INEC is planning a forum for all candidates of political parties for the election as well as their respective parties tomorrow. Soludo would therefore be unable to attend as a result of the court order, he said. The resident electoral commissioner also stated that the commission's Chairman, Prof Maurice Iwu, would address the stakeholders’ forum. He advised all governorship candidates and their deputies to collect their letters of accreditation from his office on or before 6pm today. Chairmen and secretaries of the respective political parties involved in the election should obtain duly signed letters of credence from their national secretariats, he added. Uwa further stated that all INEC accredited observers and civil society groups who participated in the 2007 election were invited to the forum which would kick off by 12 noon. Meanwhile, Iwu expressed its disappointment with the way Soludo emerged last week when he met with the National Chairman of PDP, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor; the Deputy National Chairman, Dr. Harilu Mohammed Bello; the National Secretary of PDP, Alhaji Abubakar Kawu Baraje; and the National Legal Adviser of the party, Chief Olusola Oke, at INEC office in Maitama, Abuja. According to sources, the INEC chairman lambasted the PDP chieftains for not leading by example in ensuring that internal democracy thrives in their party. “INEC is not happy that internal democracy did not take place in the selection of Prof. Chukwuma Soludo as your party’s flag bearer for the Anambra State governorship election. We are particularly not happy that PDP as a ruling party is not showing good example over the institution of internal democracy in the affairs of political parties”, Iwu was quoted as saying by the source. It was gathered that Iwu urged PDP to take advantage of the December date for the substitution of candidates to put its house in order. The National Chairman of PDP, Ogbulafor, was said to have thanked the INEC chairman and asked the National Legal Adviser of the party, Oke, to respond to his comments. In response, Oke reminded the INEC chairman of the legal tussles which the party waded through before it eventually decided to adopt Soludo as a consensus candidate. Oke told Iwu that before the National Working Committee (NWC) took the decision, there were nine legal constraints against the party. According to Oke, the PDP chose Soludo in line with its constitution as contained in articlexs 17.1 and 17.2. Oke specifically referred the INEC Chairman to the Supreme Court verdict on the rights of political parties to choose or select their candidates as contained in the apex court’s landmark judgment of Ehinlanwo vs Oke earlier this year. The legal adviser stated that no one has the right to meddle in the affairs of political parties, particularly with regard to the choice and selection of candidates, provided they are in line with the constitution of the party. After the meeting, Iwu again, urged the party to take advantage of the December date for substitution. In another development, a rally believed to have been organised by Mr. Chris Uba in the state has been suspended by the party. In a statement, the Zonal Secretary of PDP, Vin Okpalaeke, said the NWC of the PDP directed the rally scheduled for today in Awka be suspended based on grounds that it aimed at undermining "the gains" of the party in the state and Soludo's candidacy. "For the avoidance of doubt, our great party will initiate appropriate actions against all persons who flout this directive,” it said.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=158178
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by MrCrackles(m): 11:02am On Oct 27, 2009
Chai. . . . We havnt heard the last of the shindigs rocking Anambra. . . grin
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by hollandis(f): 11:08am On Oct 27, 2009
As for me o,i nor send I nor send you or whoever is president or governor 2011!!! tongue
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by mrperfect(m): 11:14am On Oct 27, 2009
This is another development, but it appears some detail are missing, they didn't categorically tell us his offense.
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Amjustme: 11:15am On Oct 27, 2009
Am too overwhelmed with d shit we call politics lipsrsealed
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by foyeks2001(f): 11:16am On Oct 27, 2009
atleast Ngige is getting close to the seat
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by MrCrackles(m): 11:17am On Oct 27, 2009
foyeks2001:

atleast Ngige is getting close to the seat
Dont be fooled. . . .
We havnt heard the last of this shit!!!
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by mountzion1: 11:32am On Oct 27, 2009
i thought there was a governor in waiting in the person of andy uba,so why all this election oops sorry selection of soludo or is PDP planning a 25 billion naira recapitalization of Anambra state that they are bent on having soludo or is there something we are not seeing
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 27, 2009
cry cry cry cry
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by foyeks2001(f): 11:37am On Oct 27, 2009
MrCrackles:

Dont be fooled. . . .
We havnt heard the last of this shit!!!

wat do u mean by that, we all have our different opinion on certain issues must I go along ur way?pls spare me this, Mr know it all
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by MrCrackles(m): 11:53am On Oct 27, 2009
foyeks2001:

wat do u mean by that, we all have our different opinion on certain issues must I go along your way?pls spare me this, Mr know it all
Relax, all i meant was "dont get carried away" by the recent developments. . . .
No one is forcing you to discard your opinions. . . .
Hug them or lick them, ahem! cool
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by foyeks2001(f): 12:05pm On Oct 27, 2009
MrCrackles:

Relax, all i meant was "dont get carried away" by the recent developments. . . .
No one is forcing you to discard your opinions. . . .
Hug them or lick them, ahem! cool

u are now talking my good friend
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by chidichris(m): 12:19pm On Oct 27, 2009
i have said this long before now and i will say it again. there is likely going to be another imo state gubernitorial scenario here.
if we can remember, eng; charles soludo was the anointed candidate not withstanding his position in the primaries. when ararume who claimed he won went to court, the ticket of pdp was given to him by the court. all efforts of obj to change that failed hence he publicly announced in imo state that pdp was withdrawing from the election.
if the other pdp candidates have enough power to force soludo out, obj and his gang will have no choice than to get another replacement of soludo into place or withdraw as usual and then try their antics through the pdp members in the house of assembly to force the gov to cross carpet.
if this news will remain valid, i will be happy for anambra people for rejecting the evil plots of obj and his pdp gang members.
if not for their rigging specializations, why would a normal person go against the wishes of 48 candidates just to pls one and still believe he will win?
shame to pdp and all the gang leaders.
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by 55gal(m): 1:06pm On Oct 27, 2009
With the huge welcome they gave him yesterday?
Politics is really a game.
Anambra with controversies in politics!
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by cvibe: 2:34pm On Oct 27, 2009
Na Wa!
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Nezan(m): 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2009
Hmm . . . Anambra and its power mongers.
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by yeswecan(m): 3:38pm On Oct 27, 2009
The UBA'S

This is just one of PDP's game, we understand it all, cannot be fooled for so long
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by ud4u: 4:03pm On Oct 27, 2009
This is what we know Anambra for,
undecided undecided undecidedthis time lets watch and see what will come out of this drama
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Ezenwenyi(m): 4:09pm On Oct 27, 2009
Crying  for Anambra state.
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by bjmighty(m): 5:02pm On Oct 27, 2009
thank you the god of nigeria!!
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by koolchicco: 5:06pm On Oct 27, 2009
Ezenwenyi:

Crying  for Anambra state.

I follow u dey cry my bros. cry cry embarassed
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Nobody: 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
It is pretty clear that the courts are turning themselves into an obstacle to the democratic process.
You can now get anykind of injunction you want from the courts so long as you have the money to pay for it.

If the courts want to arrogate to itself the duty to select party political flagbearers they should kindly do us all a favour and make that clear. At least we will all be saved from all this hazle and confussion.

There is no where else in the world where people can run to court to stop a party primaries and the court will grant such an injunction for no reason. The right to vote and be voted for is the most fundamental right of citizens of any democratic country. Why the court will dish out injunctions to prevent Nigerians from excersizing this right only they can explain.

Does anyone know why the AWKA HIGH COURT gave out an injunction to prevent the PDP primaries in the first place? That is the genesis of this problem and Nigerians should hold the court responsible for destroying the domcratic process.
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by koolpal(m): 6:13pm On Oct 27, 2009
wild wild east in the making at Anambara
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Olong(m): 6:18pm On Oct 27, 2009
Soludo has disappointed me big time!even him?
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Olong(m): 6:23pm On Oct 27, 2009
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Olong(m): 6:24pm On Oct 27, 2009
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by 9ja4eva: 6:37pm On Oct 27, 2009
I hope they insist on him not running.What are his credentials to run?He is BLOODY self-servicer
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by CarlosVent(m): 6:41pm On Oct 27, 2009
ANAMBRA POLITICS IS ALWAYS HOT. WE THAT ARE HERE ARE STANDING WITH 1 LEG COS ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AS IT HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED.

I WONDER PDP IS KILLING THEMSELVES OVER THIS SEAT WHILE NGIGE IS ALREADY THERE TO TAKE IT.

PLS PDP SHOULD GROW UP COS DEY HAVE SPOILT THE HEART OF EVEN AN UNBORN ANAMBRA PIKIN.

THANKS A LOT NIGERIANS
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Guylan(m): 3:33am On Oct 28, 2009
And Soludo wept! embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by adconline(m): 6:23am On Oct 28, 2009
INEC at it again. I thought supreme ruled against INEC vs Atiku. I dont think that it has got the power to disqualify a candidate. Anyway, INEC Chairman was recommended by Mr Andy Uba to OBJ?
Re: Inec Bars Soludo From Election Activities by Ben13: 10:37am On Oct 28, 2009
Anambra will shed blood again embarassed whose father was recently kidnapped?

(1) (Reply)

True Federalism: The Solution To Nigeria's Lingering Problems / Babatunde Fashola And Donald Duke For President / The Blood Of The Innocent Northern Children Will Hunt The Northern Opposition .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.