Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,043 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

The Tribal-marked Generation - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Tribal-marked Generation (971 Views)

FACIAL TATTOOS: The Tribal Female Rite In Papau New Guine / The Tribal Marks Of The Yoruba People / Can African Blacks Tell The Tribal Origin Of Diaspora Blacks By Their Look?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tribal-marked Generation by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 27, 2009
Today, the last member of a "tribal-marked" generation in my lineage passed-away. She was my great Aunt. While she is greatly missed, her demise makes me reflect on the road thus far, especially in areas of similarities and differences of that generation and mine. Such include our heritage, culture, education, religion, behaviour, wealth, social standing, risk (health, life, finance).
Until now, I never knew how much I admired that generation. They were cultured people, my grandfather for instance could never take offence in anything (I use to think they were stupid) yet he was not “born again”. Though one would say their generation never had most of the challenges we have today but are we not the designers of such challenges? Still on culture, my grandfather on meeting a friend or colleague will exchange pleasantry with the usual “e ‘ku , e n le” no member of the other person’s family is spared in this exchange of greetings (they even ask after the welfare of their concubines, laughs) How I miss them.
That generation will not eat until their child is fed, is it so now?
That generation was poor yet contented. But are they really poor? My grandma had jewellery worth more than =N=200,000, China plates e.t.c. They also had assets, some passed-on to them from generations which were jealously guarded, assets such as land. Our generation like the biblical prodigal son, all we do is sell them all. And like Esau, some for a mere porridge. How that generation weeps for us!
Though irreligious, some close enough to be a pagan, they don’t commit as much atrocity as we today. We hear stories of their “self-help” retail, where goods are placed on the road side with stones used as price-tags; you simply make your purchase and drop the stipulated amount for the exchange. Now everyone, I said everyone is looking for how to rob his neighbour, what is wrong with this new generation?
Then, all girls were virgins until they are married. What do we have now? Irresponsible men marrying semi-prostitutes. I’d rather die than marry any of those harlots. Nobody cares if he marries a virgin in this generation; I do, because I belong to the “tribal-marked” generation.
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 28, 2009
Hehehehe, are you a virgin? cheesy
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 28, 2009
of all the above comments why is it that only the word "virgin" catches your attention?
To answer your question, the last time I checked the definition of virgin it was supposed to be used for women only see
A virgin (or maiden) is, originally, a woman who has never had sexual intercourse. Virginity is the state of being a virgin. It is derived from the Latin virgo, which means "sexually inexperienced woman", used typically of adolescents, but also of older women, and even goddesses.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin). Since you are female (as your profile indicates) I throw the question back at you, are you a virgin?
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 28, 2009
Hehehe cheesy, I hope you know there are different meanings to a word in English Language. Using just a solitary meaning for the word virgin is pointless.

According to the free online dictionary, a possible definition of the word virgin is

vir·gin (vûrjn)
n.
1. A person who has not experienced sexual intercourse.

I asked a question, or are you shy? cheesy If you belong to the tribal marked generation cheesy as you claim there should be no reason why you should sidetrack my innocent question. You should have proudly stated 'Yes I'm a virgin'.
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by Shola2009(m): 10:26pm On Oct 28, 2009
madam stillwater,we're kindly waiting for your response oo.
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by AloyEmeka6: 11:45pm On Oct 28, 2009
naijamark:

Today, the last member of a "tribal-marked" generation in my lineage passed-away. She was my great Aunt. While she is greatly missed, her demise makes me reflect on the road thus far, especially in areas of similarities and differences of that generation and mine. Such include our heritage, culture, education, religion, behaviour, wealth, social standing, risk (health, life, finance).
Until now, I never knew how much I admired that generation. They were cultured people, my grandfather for instance could never take offence in anything (I use to think they were stupid) yet he was not “born again”. Though one would say their generation never had most of the challenges we have today but are we not the designers of such challenges? Still on culture, my grandfather on meeting a friend or colleague will exchange pleasantry with the usual “e ‘ku , e n le” no member of the other person’s family is spared in this exchange of greetings (they even ask after the welfare of  their concubines, laughs) How I miss them.
That generation was poor yet contented. But are they really poor?  My grandma had jewellery worth more than =N=200,000, China plates e.t.c. They also had assets, some passed-on to them from generations which were jealously guarded, assets such as land. Our generation like the biblical prodigal son, all we do is sell them all. And like Esau, some for a mere porridge. How that generation weeps for us!
Though irreligious, some close enough to be a pagan, they don’t commit as much atrocity as we today. We hear stories of their “self-help” retail, where goods are placed on the road side with stones used as price-tags; you simply make your purchase and drop the stipulated amount for the exchange. Now everyone, I said everyone is looking for how to rob his neighbour, what is wrong with this new generation?
Then, all girls were virgins until they are married. What do we have now? Irresponsible men marrying semi-prostitutes. I’d rather die than marry any of those harlots. Nobody cares if he marries a virgin in this generation; I do, because I belong to the “tribal-marked” generation.

What are you doing here?. Follow dem die now since you must marry a virgin.
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2009
@Aloy, haba! why do you wish me dead?
I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD (Psalm 118 : 17)

@stillwater, I enjoy your posts. How come you are not a virgin?  wink
Re: The Tribal-marked Generation by throttler(f): 11:14am On Oct 31, 2009
naijamark:

Until now, I never knew how much I admired that generation. They were cultured people, my grandfather for instance could never take offence in anything (I use to think they were stupid) yet he was not “born again”. Though one would say their generation never had most of the challenges we have today but are we not the designers of such challenges? Still on culture, my grandfather on meeting a friend or colleague will exchange pleasantry with the usual “e ‘ku , e n le” no member of the other person’s family is spared in this exchange of greetings (they even ask after the welfare of their concubines, laughs) How I miss them.
That generation was poor yet contented. But are they really poor? My grandma had jewellery worth more than =N=200,000, China plates e.t.c. They also had assets, some passed-on to them from generations which were jealously guarded, assets such as land. Our generation like the biblical prodigal son, all we do is sell them all. And like Esau, some for a mere porridge. How that generation weeps for us!

this post was very interesting until the virgin part lipsrsealed

see, when men go about disvirgining girls, how do they expect to marry virgins?. they will have to wait for the ones that are unborn, and be a craddle snatcher embarassed.
or do you think you are the only one that disvirgins them, NO, there are a million and 1 like you, that equates a million and 1 less virgins.

tell me, if the girls didnt sleep with you, you will whine, whinny, whinny and pressure her until you disvirgin her, and you move unto the next. why dont you stick with the one you have disvirgined?? and havent you slept with a non-virgin before?.
what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. if you want to sample other women before you get married, then the girls also want to sample other men before they get married.

enough of the silly posts about women alreay angry

(1) (Reply)

12 Known Facts About Ibadan Residents / Killing Of Twins In Nigeria. It Is Still Happening. / How To Read Igbo Alphabet.... Come In If You Are A Son Of The Soil!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.