Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone (4655 Views)

Who Rain Down These Brimstone On Sodom And Gomorrah? / "ONLINE DELIVERANCE WITH THE GOD OF ELIJAH"- / Thunder Lightning Strikes At Rwanda Seventh-Day Adventist Church Kills 16 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Babalawos(m): 4:42am On Oct 30, 2016
There are various stories about Shango, all more or less unreliable but that he was indeed a god was clearly established.

So if you would like me to post the true history, incantation, ebo {sacrifice}, rituals, incantations, prayers, invocations, evocations....... of Shango "The God Of Thunder, Lightning And Brimstone" leave a comment below

Thank you for reading

2 Likes

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by pyyxxaro: 5:34am On Oct 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Nobody: 5:45am On Oct 30, 2016
Do it!
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Zenlife: 6:13am On Oct 30, 2016
Babalawos:
There are various stories about Shango, all more or less unreliable but that he was indeed a god was clearly established.

So if you would like me to post the true history, incantation, ebo {sacrifice}, rituals, incantations, prayers, invocations, evocations....... of Shango "The God Of Thunder, Lightning And Brimstone" leave a comment below

Thank you for reading

Do please enlighten us sir.
We curiously await the true history et al.
Thank you.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by MrPresident1: 7:02am On Oct 30, 2016
Arabambi oko Oya!
Akata yeriyeri!

Sango!

Anthropomorphism: The nature of God.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by sonmvayina(m): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2016
Is our shango not the same as thor of the Nordic?
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Babalawos(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2016
HISTORY OF SHANGO "GOD OF THUNDER, LIGHTNING & BRIMSTONE"

There are several versions of Shango history but two of these versions are most popular in yorubaland. Namely the secular Shango history and priestly Shango history

SECULAR SHANGO HISTORY

About two centuries ago, there reigned a King in the old town of Oyo (known to early explorers as Eyeo of atunga) which was situated near the south bank of the river Niger to the north of the Yoruba country.

Shango was a powerful and wise monarch. He was a great medicine man (witch-doctor) and was able to kill people by ejecting fire from his mouth. His reign was tyrannical and cruel.

He had two chief ministers of whom he was jealous and set these to fight against each other, hoping both might be slain but he was himself deposed by the one who came off victor in the fight.

Shango fled, accompanied by his three wives, Oya, Oshun and Oba and some of his most loyal followers. He wandered in the bush, being gradually deserted by all until only his favorite wife, Oya, remained.

Then in despair, Shango hung himself from a tree. Oya fled north and became presiding goddess of the river Niger.

Travelers who had seen the body of Shango hanging from a tree entered the town and reported "0ba so" i.e. "the King has hanged himself." This report spread throughout the town.

The friends of Shango were so incensed that they determined to avenge their deceased monarch. They took a number of small calabashes or hollow gourds and filled them with gunpowder.

They then covered them with coconut fiber and put slow matches to them and waited for the next tornado. When hurricane came, they ignited the bombs and threw them into the thatched roofs of many houses.

The resultant explosions and fires caused the panic-stricken people to cry out, "Why are all our houses burning?" The friends of Shango then came forward, saying, "Oh, you said Oba so" "the King has hanged himself"

"0ba ko so!" "the King has not hanged himself". i.e "he is angry with you for this." He has became a god and has gone up into heaven and sent down the lightning to punish you.

You must bring out oxen, sheep, fowls, palm oil......... etc and offer sacrifices to him and henceforth worship him and then he will forgive you."

Thus they established the worship due him as an orisha.

PRIESTLY SHANGO HISTORY

But the Shango story as above will not be acceptable to the priestly house of Koso in Oyo. There the orthodox story is mainly as follows:

Two of Shango wives were very quarrelsome; and there were also a few complaints from the subjects of Shango concerning his tyranny. Shango became angry with everybody, mounted his horse and went into the forest.

For a long time he was expected back but in vain. When he did not return, people feared that he had gone in a fit of temper to hang himself. So they went in search of him; he was not found but his horse was.

The searchers therefore called out; "Where are you, O king? Have you hanged yourself?" To which he replied from a long distance; "NO, I have not hanged myself!" Then come back to us, we want you" they called back.

But he replied; "NO, since there has been so much trouble in the land and so many complaints against me from you all, I will not come back to you; I will now rule you unseen."

So he ascended to heaven by a chain which sprang from a tree. From heaven he have since then manifested his kingship by lightning and thunder.

One can understand why the priestly house of Koso stick to this "orthodox" version of the account of the apotheosis of Shango! Whatever version of the story is told, the important thing is that people became convinced that Shango ascended to heaven and that he became the god of thunder, lightning and brimstone.

NOTE ~ Now that you have read the secular and priestly version of Shango history, so which of these versions do you believe?

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by dragunov: 2:23pm On Oct 30, 2016
MrPresident1:
Arabambi oko Oya!
Akata yeriyeri!

Sango!

Anthropomorphism: The nature of God.
Wait! I don't understand. Are you ascribing Sango to the most high?
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by MrPresident1: 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2016
dragunov:

Wait! I don't understand. Are you ascribing Sango to the most high?

Anthropomorphism wink
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by dragunov: 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2016
MrPresident1:

Anthropomorphism wink
Expantiate nahh. How do you mean?
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by MrPresident1: 6:03pm On Oct 30, 2016
dragunov:

Expantiate nahh. How do you mean?

It is possible Sango is a form of Christ, I say because both of them had control over the elements.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Ishilove: 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2016
I'm more inclined to believe the Secular history of Sango

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by dragunov: 6:56pm On Oct 30, 2016
MrPresident1:

It is possible Sango is a form of Christ, I say because both of them had control over the elements.
Nah! I don't think so. Sango is pure idolatry. He is one of the gods of Canaan. Jannes and jambres did the same thing Moses did. It doesn't make what they did original.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by MrPresident1: 7:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
dragunov:

Nah! I don't think so. Sango is pure idolatry. He is one of the gods of Canaan. Jannes and jambres did the same thing Moses did. It doesn't make what they did original.

hmmm...

He was an Alaafin of Oyo. Oyo is lineage Judah. Remember, the king can only be chosen from his kinsmen, no stranger can be king over Israel..

Tell me, I want to know, for debate purposes, what is the difference between Sango Alaafin, and Jesus Christ? Both 'died' and are deified, both are kings of Judah...

This is for debate purposes.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Zenlife: 12:12am On Nov 01, 2016
Babalawos sir, kindly continue with the others...

"..."..."...
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by PastorAIO: 10:45am On Nov 01, 2016
Ishilove:
I'm more inclined to believe the Circular history of Sango

Secular, dear. It has been grating on my nerves since the OP. We mustn't let this error spread or I shall vex and return to heaven and leave ye mortals to your own fate.

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Ubenedictus(m): 6:56pm On Nov 01, 2016
PastorAIO:

Secular, dear. It has been grating on my nerves since the OP. We mustn't let this error spread or I shall vex and return to heaven and leave ye mortals to your own fate.
What orisha wil u b after ur going to heaven?
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by PastorAIO: 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2016
Ubenedictus:
What orisha wil u b after ur going to heaven?

The Orisha of correct grammar and spelling.

6 Likes

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by mumumugu(m): 8:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
native doctors dont go 2 skul so lets acomodate his spelin eror

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by GRIMMJOE(m): 8:17pm On Nov 01, 2016
This spelling, eye Kant take eat any more,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by PastorAIO: 10:56pm On Nov 01, 2016
mumumugu:
mumumugu:

Okay, but anybody wey dey cast spell nor suppose make error. Na die be dat o!!

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Ishilove: 12:14am On Nov 02, 2016
PastorAIO:

Hokay, thanks cheesy

I actually thought about but I assumed 'Circular' was an actual school of thought, separate from 'secular' embarassed grin

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Ishilove: 12:14am On Nov 02, 2016
PastorAIO:

Okay, but anybody wey dey cast spell nor suppose make error. Na die be dat o!!
Lmaooo! cheesy
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by ishiamu(m): 4:55pm On Nov 14, 2016
Babalawos:

Thank you for reading

how can I contact you?
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Nostradamus: 10:19pm On Nov 14, 2016
cool
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Karleb(m): 10:21pm On Nov 14, 2016
...and also the alter ego of Thor.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 15, 2016
All this one na story na juju wey go make me rich na I dey find,if anyone knows pls contact me mickmill31@gmail.com
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Babalawos(m): 11:17am On Nov 21, 2016
You can check my other posts on this forum for wealth and riches rituals and ebo

mickmill31:
All this one na story na juju wey go make me rich na I dey find,if anyone knows pls contact me mickmill31@gmail.com
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Babalawos(m): 5:32pm On Nov 21, 2016
You can contact me through my website www.nativedoctor.ml

ishiamu:

how can I contact you?

1 Like

Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Nobody: 11:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
Babalawos:
You can check my other posts on this forum for wealth and riches rituals and ebo

I don't know how to do that,so kindly inbox me privately if you have a lead.
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Gboyee4fun(m): 6:19am On Nov 22, 2016
Babalawos:
HISTORY OF SHANGO "GOD OF THUNDER, LIGHTNING & BRIMSTONE"

There are several versions of Shango history but two of these versions are most popular in yorubaland. Namely the secular Shango history and priestly Shango history

SECULAR SHANGO HISTORY

About two centuries ago, there reigned a King in the old town of Oyo (known to early explorers as Eyeo of atunga) which was situated near the south bank of the river Niger to the north of the Yoruba country.

Shango was a powerful and wise monarch. He was a great medicine man (witch-doctor) and was able to kill people by ejecting fire from his mouth. His reign was tyrannical and cruel.

He had two chief ministers of whom he was jealous and set these to fight against each other, hoping both might be slain but he was himself deposed by the one who came off victor in the fight.

Shango fled, accompanied by his three wives, Oya, Oshun and Oba and some of his most loyal followers. He wandered in the bush, being gradually deserted by all until only his favorite wife, Oya, remained.

Then in despair, Shango hung himself from a tree. Oya fled north and became presiding goddess of the river Niger.

Travelers who had seen the body of Shango hanging from a tree entered the town and reported "0ba so" i.e. "the King has hanged himself." This report spread throughout the town.

The friends of Shango were so incensed that they determined to avenge their deceased monarch. They took a number of small calabashes or hollow gourds and filled them with gunpowder.

They then covered them with coconut fiber and put slow matches to them and waited for the next tornado. When hurricane came, they ignited the bombs and threw them into the thatched roofs of many houses.

The resultant explosions and fires caused the panic-stricken people to cry out, "Why are all our houses burning?" The friends of Shango then came forward, saying, "Oh, you said Oba so" "the King has hanged himself"

"0ba ko so!" "the King has not hanged himself". i.e "he is angry with you for this." He has became a god and has gone up into heaven and sent down the lightning to punish you.

You must bring out oxen, sheep, fowls, palm oil......... etc and offer sacrifices to him and henceforth worship him and then he will forgive you."

Thus they established the worship due him as an orisha.

PRIESTLY SHANGO HISTORY

But the Shango story as above will not be acceptable to the priestly house of Koso in Oyo. There the orthodox story is mainly as follows:

Two of Shango wives were very quarrelsome; and there were also a few complaints from the subjects of Shango concerning his tyranny. Shango became angry with everybody, mounted his horse and went into the forest.

For a long time he was expected back but in vain. When he did not return, people feared that he had gone in a fit of temper to hang himself. So they went in search of him; he was not found but his horse was.

The searchers therefore called out; "Where are you, O king? Have you hanged yourself?" To which he replied from a long distance; "NO, I have not hanged myself!" Then come back to us, we want you" they called back.

But he replied; "NO, since there has been so much trouble in the land and so many complaints against me from you all, I will not come back to you; I will now rule you unseen."

So he ascended to heaven by a chain which sprang from a tree. From heaven he have since then manifested his kingship by lightning and thunder.

One can understand why the priestly house of Koso stick to this "orthodox" version of the account of the apotheosis of Shango! Whatever version of the story is told, the important thing is that people became convinced that Shango ascended to heaven and that he became the god of thunder, lightning and brimstone.

NOTE ~ Now that you have read the secular and priestly version of Shango history, so which of these versions do you believe?

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

well Mr Babalawo, shango ascended to heaven or to the ground? o wole? lol...well I'm from Oyo exactly from koso, I know the place where his shrine is, but I. can godly tell you that shango is a. big fool, ...lol he is a confuse demon...lol..see the graven images of a god.....god of lightening ko, god of iyepe ni
Re: Shango ~ The God Of Thunder, Lightning & Brimstone by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 23, 2016
Babalawos:

Thank you for reading
does it make someone rich?

(1) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Those Canned Prayer Points And Hail Marys? / 22 Year Old Man Bursts Into Tears & Questions God On Nigeria Got Talent Show / Jesus Was Not Sent To Save The Whole World - Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.