Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Nigerian Educational System: Impact Of A Positive Mental View Of Your Discipline - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Educational System: Impact Of A Positive Mental View Of Your Discipline (770 Views)

Aerial View Of Ahmadu Bello University — Naturally Ahead (Photos) / Why Are Private Schools No Longer Operating The 6-3-3-4 Educational System? / ASUU And Its Worrisome Contributions To The Collapse Of Nigerian Educational Sec (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Educational System: Impact Of A Positive Mental View Of Your Discipline by kiddakush(m): 10:26am On Oct 30, 2016
http:///2f1SK41
My name is Thank-God Eboh.
I am also a poultry farmer.
So, upon gaining admission to study Animal science (Not even in my first 1000 disciplines of choice as at then) in the University, I thought I was finished. I couldn't even pronounce 'Animal Science' again. It was so heavy that my mouth could not hold the alphabets in that name.
I thought it was worse than every other discipline on the surface of the earth. I wished it could be displaced by Fisheries, Fine arts , Statistics, Education Biology or just everything outside of the 'Agriculture' faculty. 'Anything but 'Animal science' would taste better.' I thought.
It never happened.
So I asked myself if I was ready to take the chance or back out.

I walked into the 'Animal science department building' to seek for a rescue team. I asked one or two of the Lecturers questions about choosing this path. They said it was a promising fields. They didn't give enough reasons. But I had doubts because it that was their field, they won't talk down on it. Besides, if they were to talk People like me out, who then will they teach ?
I remembered my love for animals while growing up. I had Pigeons, poultry birds but I was not successful at rearing them. Yet, I kept reinvesting with my savings. I also prayed endlessly to the Most High God. Then I made my decision to carry on.
As time ticked, my love for the discipline grew slowly. But I never made it public. I hate lying and so I'd rather avoid any chance to introduce myself than lie about it. But most of my fellow unfortunate Classmates, were hardened liers. They easily told People they were in fields like Microbiology, Biochemistry etc. I was Okay with the discipline now but I was concerned about People's feeling and thoughts about it. So, sometimes, I'd rather call it Verterinary medicine because the medicine in there calms People down. But these two fields are not exactly the same.
People pushed up their nose once I told them my discipline. Some enthusiastic family Friends and acquaintances unleash a loud praise to God that I was already in the University. But once I told them my discipline, the whole excitement sags. It just falls like the breasts of a 90 year old grandmother. I feel the terror in their minds at that time.
I decided henceforth never to hurt anyone again and shielded this part of me from public eyes.

I once had a Barrister express an extravagant love for what I studied. I looked at her wondering if she was in the flesh or spirit? Who does that? But I needed that likeness to carry on.
In my second year in the University, I started with 20 four-weeks old broilers. Only one died. I made some profit. That was the least I have raised.
I enjoyed the journey through these years: raising meat and selling them off at the local market. (I was also shy of being spotted selling white cocks in a local market by peers). I still boosted my guts. After all, as long as I was making profits, who the heck mocks a money making venture?
I graduated February this year and I have never regreted of being an Animal scientist.

Before I round up, let me tell you one thing about my market experience. Everytime I go to the market, my birds stand out. They are super white in color and you could carry them without worrying about stains from their feathers. I remember one buyer who haggled endlessly. She couldn't hold herself but tell me her reason for persisting. She said my darling birds were neat. With that, I stuck to my price knowing I had what she wanted. She bought two of my birds and I counted the monies smiling.

But I am so happy rearing birds. I have plans to grow bigger but some 'Educated Uncles' are trying hard to give me some other suggestions.
One day an Uncle summoned me and tried baptizing my brain with "You are young", " You can still buy JAMB form" "This thing you are studying is not for Nigerians"
I let him finish. Then I looked him in the face and asked, "Uncle, what if I become one with a difference?"
He leaned forward and then reversed. He started seeing possibility. He surely perceived that I was unshakable and fearless.
Just lately, another suggested his own and at the end, he posed an interesting question.

"Challenge me if you don't agree with me " He asked me.
I answered diplomatically such that he won. I did too.
I have made my choice to be an Animal scientist amongst other things that I am passionate about. If nobody is on that path, its not tragic if I take the lead.
Leaders face their fears and win.
I will Win.
LIFE' S GOOD!!
Re: Nigerian Educational System: Impact Of A Positive Mental View Of Your Discipline by SeyiObj: 9:50pm On Oct 30, 2016
kiddakush:
http:///2f1SK41
My name is Thank-God Eboh.
I am also a poultry farmer.
So, upon gaining admission to study Animal science (Not even in my first 1000 disciplines of choice as at then) in the University, I thought I was finished. I couldn't even pronounce 'Animal Science' again. It was so heavy that my mouth could not hold the alphabets in that name.
I thought it was worse than every other discipline on the surface of the earth. I wished it could be displaced by Fisheries, Fine arts , Statistics, Education Biology or just everything outside of the 'Agriculture' faculty. 'Anything but 'Animal science' would taste better.' I thought.
It never happened.
So I asked myself if I was ready to take the chance or back out.

I walked into the 'Animal science department building' to seek for a rescue team. I asked one or two of the Lecturers questions about choosing this path. They said it was a promising fields. They didn't give enough reasons. But I had doubts because it that was their field, they won't talk down on it. Besides, if they were to talk People like me out, who then will they teach ?
I remembered my love for animals while growing up. I had Pigeons, poultry birds but I was not successful at rearing them. Yet, I kept reinvesting with my savings. I also prayed endlessly to the Most High God. Then I made my decision to carry on.
As time ticked, my love for the discipline grew slowly. But I never made it public. I hate lying and so I'd rather avoid any chance to introduce myself than lie about it. But most of my fellow unfortunate Classmates, were hardened liers. They easily told People they were in fields like Microbiology, Biochemistry etc. I was Okay with the discipline now but I was concerned about People's feeling and thoughts about it. So, sometimes, I'd rather call it Verterinary medicine because the medicine in there calms People down. But these two fields are not exactly the same.
People pushed up their nose once I told them my discipline. Some enthusiastic family Friends and acquaintances unleash a loud praise to God that I was already in the University. But once I told them my discipline, the whole excitement sags. It just falls like the breasts of a 90 year old grandmother. I feel the terror in their minds at that time.
I decided henceforth never to hurt anyone again and shielded this part of me from public eyes.

I once had a Barrister express an extravagant love for what I studied. I looked at her wondering if she was in the flesh or spirit? Who does that? But I needed that likeness to carry on.
In my second year in the University, I started with 20 four-weeks old broilers. Only one died. I made some profit. That was the least I have raised.
I enjoyed the journey through these years: raising meat and selling them off at the local market. (I was also shy of being spotted selling white cocks in a local market by peers). I still boosted my guts. After all, as long as I was making profits, who the heck mocks a money making venture?
I graduated February this year and I have never regreted of being an Animal scientist.

Before I round up, let me tell you one thing about my market experience. Everytime I go to the market, my birds stand out. They are super white in color and you could carry them without worrying about stains from their feathers. I remember one buyer who haggled endlessly. She couldn't hold herself but tell me her reason for persisting. She said my darling birds were neat. With that, I stuck to my price knowing I had what she wanted. She bought two of my birds and I counted the monies smiling.

But I am so happy rearing birds. I have plans to grow bigger but some 'Educated Uncles' are trying hard to give me some other suggestions.
One day an Uncle summoned me and tried baptizing my brain with "You are young", " You can still buy JAMB form" "This thing you are studying is not for Nigerians"
I let him finish. Then I looked him in the face and asked, "Uncle, what if I become one with a difference?"
He leaned forward and then reversed. He started seeing possibility. He surely perceived that I was unshakable and fearless.
Just lately, another suggested his own and at the end, he posed an interesting question.

"Challenge me if you don't agree with me " He asked me.
I answered diplomatically such that he won. I did too.
I have made my choice to be an Animal scientist amongst other things that I am passionate about. If nobody is on that path, its not tragic if I take the lead.
Leaders face their fears and win.
I will Win.
LIFE' S GOOD!!
I salute your courage bro..more blessing

(1) (Reply)

First Class Still Possible? / Common Arguments That Have Simple Scientific Answers (humor Memes) / NLNG Undergraduate Scholarship 2017 | Apply For Nigeria LNG Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.