Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know (3912 Views)

SARS Officer Killed In His In-laws Place 10 Days After Wedding In Rivers. Photos / Top 10 Strange Laws In African Countries / Fulani Herdsmen Boldly Carry Guns, Act Above Nigerian Laws Retired DIG, Ekpoudom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:44pm On Oct 30, 2016
Many people think Nigeria is a lawless place.

On the contrary, Nigeria has many laws. Nigerians are not just very good at obeying laws. You have to force them. Or threaten them with arrests or fines before Nigerians start observing laws.

Every country in this world has strange laws that raise eyebrows in other places. For instance, a dirty car will attract a hefty fine in Russia. Nigeria is no exception. We have a couple of strange and absurd laws you probably didn’t know, get a seat and learn about them now;
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:45pm On Oct 30, 2016
1. The Illegal colour law

Have you ever seen a private car painted the colour commonly known as “army green”? I bet you haven’t. This is because it is illegal in Nigeria for a private car to be painted army green. Plus everyone is scared of soldiers disfiguring their expensive army green rides and also their faces.

Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:46pm On Oct 30, 2016
2. Witchcraft law

You know how Nollywood is often showcasing witchcraft? I don’t know why they are encouraging it since witchcraft is illegal in Naija. Being a witch or wizard is a misdemeanour and carries a jail time of 2 years.

Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by updatemachine: 2:47pm On Oct 30, 2016
grin
let see
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:48pm On Oct 30, 2016
3. Jilted lover law

Do you know you can sue your fiance or fiancee for refusing to marry you in Nigeria? Yes, that’s a thing in Nigeria. You can sue anybody who promises to marry you then renegades on that promise.

“ Yoruba demons can be sued, ladies! grin

Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:49pm On Oct 30, 2016
4. Funny Marriage law

In Nigeria, you can obtain a “jactitation of marriage”. What this simply means is that you can get an order preventing someone from identifying as your spouse. Crazy right?!

1 Share

Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:52pm On Oct 30, 2016
5. Caning is Allowed

The legal age for most things in Nigeria is 18 years. A male offender less than 18 years can be caned in Nigeria. The court can decide to have the offender punished by caning rather than jail time.

Aren’t these laws funny? grin Got any other funny laws I missed, share it. grin

Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by BayLord01(m): 2:53pm On Oct 30, 2016
Following ....
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by ForeverYoung197(f): 2:53pm On Oct 30, 2016
Seems the #3 and 4 are contradicting to each other. I need further explanation on this matter please. Thank you.
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by dimexy247(m): 2:58pm On Oct 30, 2016
ForeverYoung197:
Seems the #3 and 4 are contradicting to each other. I need further explanation on this matter please. Thank you.

Contradicting or not understanding? undecided. It's simply opposite of each other. Read again, besides that's why it's called strange law grin
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by Young03(m): 3:08pm On Oct 30, 2016
That means, u can use no 4 to prevent no 3
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by sammuell(m): 3:15pm On Oct 30, 2016
dimexy247:
3. Jilted lover law

Do you know you can sue your fiance or fiancee for refusing to marry you in Nigeria? Yes, that’s a thing in Nigeria. You can sue anybody who promises to marry you then renegades on that promise.

make i go sue all my ex they no gree marry me
Re: 5 Strange Nigerian Laws You Didn’ T Know by HtwoOw: 3:41pm On Oct 30, 2016
My Rover is army green grin

Even soldiers dey salute when I pass

[size=1pt]
Probably cos my uncle is a Major[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst Terrorist Attacks In The History (pics) / . / Edo Cult War: Members Bury Slain Victim (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.