Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) (5637 Views)

Federal Polytechnic, Ede Doesn't Admit OND Students From These 5 Schools For HND / Picture Of A YABATECH Student Drawing On Water Goes Viral (pictures) / Animal Newborns, What They Look Like(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Babangida70(m): 2:57pm On Oct 30, 2016
Ever wondered why the drawing of a heart doesn't look like an actual human heart?

The heart symbol we use today came from the idea of two human hearts being fused together as one, forming the iconic heart-shaped symbol we know as LOVE.

Cc: Seun Lalasticlala

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 30, 2016
interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Mskrisx(f): 4:29pm On Oct 30, 2016
Learnt something new

2 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2016
OK, thanks

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by EWAagoyin(m): 6:36pm On Oct 30, 2016
learnt something .... nice

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Babangida70(m): 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2016
Lalasticlala come and see how snake swallowed tonto dike's cleavage in Kenya.

Cc: Lalasticlala password.

13 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 30, 2016
.....Smh....
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Fidelismaria: 6:52pm On Oct 30, 2016
shocked
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Sleekydee(m): 7:49pm On Oct 30, 2016
Babangida70:
Lalasticlala come and see how snake swallowed tonto dike's cleavage in Kenya.

Cc: Lalasticlala password.

lala right now...

15 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by LOVEGINO(m): 7:54pm On Oct 30, 2016
I don copy sharply grin

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by idris4r83(m): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2016
Chaiiiiii people can lie

2 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Babangida70(m): 8:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
Sleekydee:

lala right now...

when Lalasticlala finally sees that the topic is not about "Boobs, tonto dike, Kenya or even Olajumoke...
He will be like........

16 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by DozieInc(m): 9:00pm On Oct 30, 2016
Two becomes one, one heart one love.

Good to know, ok OP clap for yourself and Lala come and finish what you started.

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by lollmaolol(m): 10:32pm On Oct 30, 2016
I was informed here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by MisterDreamz(m): 11:07pm On Oct 30, 2016
Two hearts that beat as one!

Interesting right? smiley

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by piperson(m): 11:08pm On Oct 30, 2016
wow
Ahdontbelieveit

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Dariye(m): 11:19pm On Oct 30, 2016
I thought I was the only one that has ever wondered about that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by rookidmart: 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2016
Answer from Reddit.
So where does the heart originate? And, why, as you quite correctly note, does it look nothing like a heart? Well, historian Martin Kemp has an answer for you in his book From Christ to Coke: How Image Becomes Icon.
According to Kemp, the origins of the heart symbol lie in a written, rather than a symbolic or artistic tradition - specifically, in Aristotle and Galen's written descriptions of the heart as having a fovea - a depression or cavity - between the two main chambers. According to Kemp:
It is this written tradition that results in the earliest of the heart-shaped images that are definitely intended to represent the heart as a human organ.
In other words, the heart shape as we know it first originated when artists tried to draw the heart as it had been described (in words/writing) by Aristotle and
Galen.
https://reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3og1dv/how_did_the_come_to_be_identified_with_love_and/?ref=search_posts
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by buoye1(m): 11:24pm On Oct 30, 2016
Dariye:
I thought I was the only one that has ever wondered about that
Sure you are
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by moiaimi(f): 1:16am On Oct 31, 2016
Wow

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Okaakoko(m): 6:30am On Oct 31, 2016
because love is not real
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Opistorincos(m): 7:25am On Oct 31, 2016
tongue
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Phonefanatic: 8:04am On Oct 31, 2016
So a broken heart is simple getting your heart back grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by boluwatife9(m): 8:15am On Oct 31, 2016
Babangida70:

when Lalasticlala finally sees that the topic is not about "Boobs, tonto dike, Kenya or even Olajumoke...
He will be like........
cheesy
Babangida70:

He will be like........

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by TrollTrap: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2016
If this is true then woooow, I've always wondered how absurd it is to call it a heart when it's shaped nothing like one.

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2016
Phonefanatic:
So a broken heart is simple getting your heart back grin grin
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by Ikigia: 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2016
Educative..... well-done!

1 Like

Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by superfelix: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2016
grin
Re: Why The Drawing Of A Heart Doesn't Look Like An Actual Human Heart (pix) by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 9:53pm On Oct 31, 2016
Wow Sha Me Still Be D One Heart

Wen I Get Money(hammer), I Go Start To Look For D Second One

Then E Go Even Easy Wella.......

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Name Of Your University And Course You Are Studying / List Of Polytechnics That Accept Lower Credit For HND. / At Last Uniben Post Ume Result Is Out This Evening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.