Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh (1772 Views)

World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Inside The World's Largest Particle Accelerator / World's Largest Heart: 200kg Heart Of A Whale Preserved In Museum(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 02, 2016
For ages, we humans have explored life and things beyond our galaxy. This have been made possible by many breakthrough scientific feat. The era of gigantic observatory radio telescope started during the early years of the space race between United States of America and Russia, formerly known as the Soviet Union. Ever since, countries have made ground breaking discoveries using these mighty machines which couldn't have been envisaged a century ago.

These radio telescopes have played and are still paying pivotal roles in the development of astronomical science, advance military projects, space exploration, alien life, and so many others. This list show catchy details about the top 10 largest radio telescope in the world.

Before I proceed, please note that I ranked these radio telescopes, with facts, based on their diameters and sizes not minding if they are largely-filled aperture or single-filled aperture radio telescopes.

That settled, enjoy! Straight to no 10!

Source: http://www.factsbyjosh.com/2016/11/top-10-world-largest-radio-telescopes.html

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 02, 2016
10. Large Millimeter Telescope

Diameter: 164 feet (50 meters)

Located on top of Sierra Negra, the peak of the fifth highest mountain in Chalchicomula de Sesma municipality in Mexico is the world's 10th largest radio telescope - the largest in its own frequency. It was inaugurated on 22nd of November, 2006. It took almost 10 years to construct this masterpiece and it gulped approximately $116 million dollars. It is co-owned by the governments of Mexico with 80% stakes and United States with 20%. It was constructed to give astronomers a view of regions where dust conceal the visibility of the interstellar medium.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2016
9. Parkes Observatory Telescope

Diameter: 210 feet (64 meters)

The Parkes radio telescope is one of the world's biggest, most important, and most widely known radio telescopes. This telescope which was completed in 1961 was one of the few observatory radio telescopes which received signal from the first ever human lunar landing, the Apollo 13. Aside from this, it has also undertook the largest single blind survey in search of neutral hydrogen galaxies. This was done between 1997 and 2002.

1 Share

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 02, 2016
8. Mars Antenna

Diameter: 230 feet (70 meters)

Located in Mojave desert, California is the world's 8th largest radio telescope. Standing at about 230 feet high, this telescope is one of the three in its clique with others in Madrid, Spain; and Canberra, Australia. Its main use it to provide information on quasars, comets, planets and asteroid mapping among many others to scientist and astronomers.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by ValentineMary(m): 9:29pm On Nov 02, 2016
Following.
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by jmichlins(m): 9:53pm On Nov 02, 2016
please if you stopped updating cause of no comments please continue cause I have been following since afternoon but busy at work to comment
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 02, 2016
7. Yevpatoria R1-70 Radio Telescope

Diameter: 230 feet (70 meters)

You may have seen a few alien-themed movies where radio signal was tuned into the far galaxy too reach out to aliens, well, those are not entirely fictional. On 9th October 2008, this very powerful telescope was used for a project called "A Message From Earth" (AMFE) in which a very powerful radio signal was sent to a planet known as Gliese 581c super earth. The planet was described to share striking resemblance and features with earth. The essence of this project is to receive in return, a message from aliens on the planet (that is if there exist life on the planet). However, this message will not reach the planet until 2029.

The Yevpatoria is one of the three kinds with the same specifications just like the Mars Anteena owned by the United States. The other two are located in Uzbekistan and Galenki, Russia. They have been used and are still being used to observe asteroids and space debris.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 02, 2016
6. Lovell Telescope

Diameter: 250 feet (76 meters)

The Lovell radio telescope is located in Jodrell bank observatory, situated in the North-Western part of England. The telescope is notably the first to confirm the existence of pulsars. Although its original name is "250ft telescope". this was changed in 1987 to "Lovell telescope".

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 02, 2016
5. Effelsberg 100-m Radio Telescope

Diameter: 250 feet (76 meters)

Ranked among the most powerful and important telescopes in the world today, the Effelsberg 100-m telescope was built to observe the formation of distant galaxies, pulsars and stars formation. Its construction was inaugurated in 1968 and it took just 3 years to complete. It adopts the name Effelsberg because it is located in Effelsberg, a south-eastern town in the city of Munstereifel, Germany.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 02, 2016
4. Green Bank Telescope

Diameter: 328 feet (100 meters)

This gigantic telescope is located in the middle of a designated national park known as the United States National Radio Quiet Zone in West Virginia. This area is under a very stern law that prohibits the use of device that needs radio transmission by tourists, passers-by or residents in the neighbourhood. This is to enable this telescope to operate without any interference whatsoever. It took eleven years to complete it. It was completed and commissioned in 2002. The fully steerable telescope has made ground breaking discoveries such as the hydrogen gas-based Ophiuchus "Super-bubble" which is located 23,000 light years from earth.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2016
3. Arecibo Observatory Telescope

Diameter: 1,000 feet (305 meters)

For 11 years and 53 years, the Arecibo observatory telescope held the records of the world's largest single-aperture radio telescope and filled-aperture radio telescope respectively. The former record was battered by Russia's Ratan-600 in 1973 while the latter was battered in July 2016 by China's Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (Fast). Over the years, the Arecibo telescope, which was constructed, owned and operated by the United States, have engaged in radio astronomy, radio observation of our solar system and the study of other planets' atmospheric conditions. The telescope was build inside a depression-caused natural sinkhole. This makes it suitable for the telescope to gather data of natural occurrences happening millions of miles and light years away from us.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:13pm On Nov 02, 2016
2. Five hundred meters Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST)

Diameter: 1,600 feet (500 meters)

Although many believe this telescope (because it is widely reported as so) is the world's largest radio telescope, however, it is pertinent to not do away with facts. Nicknamed Tianyan in local language which means "Heavenly Eye", FAST is the world largest filled-aperture radio telescope and the second largest single-aperture telescope behind Russia's Ratan 600. This means the latter can be referred to as the largest due to its size.

Just like the Arecibo radio telescope, FAST was constructed inside the Dawodang depression in Pingtang county, Guzhuo province, China. The project cost a whopping $180 million dollars. A major debacle about this mighty telescope is the alarming failure rate of its primary mirror activators and shortage of astronomers which is affecting its full-capacity use. However, this problems are expected to be solved in the best possible time by the Chinese government.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 02, 2016
1. Ratan-600 Radio Telescope

Diameter: 1,890 feet (576 meters)

The Ratan-600 radio telescope is the world's largest radio telescope. Measuring 576 meters, this telescope was arguably built by the Russians in response to the construction of the Arecibo radio telescope built by the United States. It was completed and opened on July 12, 1974. Its main function is the observation of the sun at radio wavelengths, its solar corona and SETI which stands for "Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence".

Now, I believe you read this article. If yes, then permit me to ask you this question: which of these radio telescopes is your favourite based on the details given about them? Please don't forget to leave your comments and also share this article with you friends. Thank you.

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 02, 2016
ValentineMary:
Following.
thanks for following. Please help me call CC: lalasticlala seun ijebabe mynd44 to move this to fp oo
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:18pm On Nov 02, 2016
jmichlins:
please if you stopped updating cause of no comments please continue cause I have been following since afternoon but busy at work to comment
Am really sorry I stopped for awhile. Thanks for following. Please help me CC: lalasticlala seun ijebabe mynd44 to kindly move this piece to front page o
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 02, 2016
cc: lalasticlala
cc: seun
cc: mynd44
cc: ijebabe

Please help me move this to fp and get people informed and entertained. Thanks
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by jmichlins(m): 10:25pm On Nov 02, 2016
Phagyrhe:
Am really sorry I stopped for awhile. Thanks for following. Please help me CC: lalasticlala seun ijebabe mynd44 to kindly move this piece to front page o
no worries for I should be the one apologizing for not appreciating such information contained in your post. And wait not for fp cause there's no boob or snake therein
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by HCpaul(m): 10:26pm On Nov 02, 2016
I love that of Russia
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 02, 2016
jmichlins:
no worries for I should be the one apologizing for not appreciating such information contained in your post. And wait not for fp cause there's no boob or snake therein
thanks so much for appreciating it. Am happy you like it.
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 02, 2016
HCpaul:
I love that of Russia
Hmm....well, if am to pick among the 10, I will choose no 7 which is Yevpatoria R1-70 Radio Telescope. As fictional as the project the telescope is involved in seem, I think I love the goal.
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by jmichlins(m): 7:27am On Nov 03, 2016
was thinking the Chinese own the largest telescope in the world. Meanwhile I heard that the Vatican has a telescope catan Satan abi Lucifer. If you can do a feature on that it would be great

1 Like

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by ValentineMary(m): 10:25am On Nov 03, 2016
Nice. I have always thought the hubbles telescope was the largest in the world. Good job OP.
Cc Seun, Lalasticlala, mynd44
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2016
ValentineMary:
Nice. I have always thought the hubbles telescope was the largest in the world. Good job OP.
Cc Seun, Lalasticlala, mynd44
Thank you
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 03, 2016
jmichlins:
was thinking the Chinese own the largest telescope in the world. Meanwhile I heard that the Vatican has a telescope catan Satan abi Lucifer. If you can do a feature on that it would be great
Yea, I also held the belief that the Chinese had the largest telescope until I made my findings. I think the media played the larger part in misinforming us. About the Lucifer or Satan telescope, I promise to research on that and get back to you on whatever I get from that. Thanks for following the thread.
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by hyprealestatemkt(m): 12:18am On Nov 04, 2016
The last one for me is the best, because of the search for extraterrestrial

1 Like

Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 05, 2016
hyprealestatemkt:
The last one for me is the best, because of the search for extraterrestrial
hmm.....seems cool cool
Re: Top 10 World Largest Telescopes - Factsbyjosh by Nobody: 5:51am On Nov 05, 2016
jmichlins:
Although I may still write a detailed article on this on my blog, however, I think it will be wise not to keep you waiting for too long. The "Lucifer", a large binocular near-infrared optical telescope, is a single aperture telescope constructed in 1987 and completed in 1993. It is 1.83 metres in diameter and its main functions is to study the "heavenly bodies", most especially the stars. It is located on Mount Graham in Arizona, one of United States highest peaks. Although this telescope is right next to the Vatican observatory centre which is also atop Mount Graham, it however denied its ownership. The Vatican claimed that the telescope is owned by its consortium partners, a group of five unnamed Germans. They are from the Odious Max Plank Institute (a group that gave assistance to the murderous experiments of NAZI Scientist Dr. Mengle during world war II). This telescope as and is still generating a lot of controversy with critics questioning the motive behind it. The "Lucifer" received its first star light in the same year it was dedicated.

I hope you this is okay for now?

(1) (Reply)

How To Create A Yahoo Mail Account- Sign Up Registration Www.yahoomail.com / Web Designing : A Freelance Approach To Making Money. / Setting Up A Small Scale Wifi Hotspot Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.