Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss (11762 Views)

7 Reasons Why Nigeria Should Have Abstained From The UN Jerusalem Vote - ETimes / Buhari Should Forget South-west In 2019 – Fasehun / Tell Your People To Forget About Biafra: Buhari Tells Igbo Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by lelvin(m): 9:57am On Nov 03, 2016
She spoke the truth, if it were Lai Mohammed 'the government has gone 79% on the nuclear energy project and 88% on the wind energy project'.
And the devil be like...ah ah Lord why are u saying am not righteous

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by AnodaIT(m): 10:00am On Nov 03, 2016
dmz1:

what happened on that day bros?
Oluwamuyeewa:

The day I came to Nigeria

That face when you realize you have been arguing with a kid

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by ezesun(m): 10:12am On Nov 03, 2016
mrdeey:
This is just unfortunate... While some of you will choose to call her a realist, I think she ought to be sacked... She has no business being the boss over the company she believes lacks the capacity of making any serious achievement.
Every thing we see around us today was once thought to be impossible. What she lacks is the knowledge of how to bring about the desired change.
DESIRED CHANGE I like you o jare

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Preator: 10:18am On Nov 03, 2016
kudos to the woman for saying the obvious. most people may call her a pessimist, but her words are true. simple economics has taught us that our needs are vast but the resources to achieve them are limited. this limitations are called constraints. the power sector faces a lot of that now.

financially we do not have the ability to invest in building either more dams(which are not advisable) or the costly thermal plants. furthermore, thermal plants which supply the current bulk of our power is subject to the whims and caprices of our cousins in the south(they mostly use gases).

there is also something she forgot to mention, the national grid can not evacuate more than 6000mw(that's me being optimistic) for now. to improve that ability to 10000mw(which is the output capacity of the current generating plants under ideal conditions) will probably break the bank and I don't think we have the political will.

secondly we have significant technological disadvantage when it comes to employing nuclear power. I'm sure most people will not want one manned by Nigerian engineers installed close enough to your city and of course there is IAEA.

we simply don't have the land mass to utilse wind power economically.

our best bet is switching our thermal plant from been gas-fired to coal-fired. this is possible and cheaper than building new ones and reduces the effect of our Cousins in the south.
for comparison sake, China and India produces approximately 69% and 61% of their energy from coal. India's 61% translates to 164.6GW.

but I trust Nigerians, we prefer being lied to.

abeg please vote for me in 2019. I promise to:

1. increase power supply to 40,000mw in 4yrs
2. reduce the cost of energy to #7 per kWh
3.reduce pump price of petrol to #65
4. 1 naira will equal 10dollars(this is the easiest one sef)
5. of course bag of rice will become 5k

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by mengho(m): 10:27am On Nov 03, 2016
You must never give Nigerians nuclear thingy unless you want to wipe us off the world map, Nigerians like blowing stuff up, d day nuclear thingy becomes active, I will leave dis country 4 gud

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by tdbankplc: 10:32am On Nov 03, 2016
mrdeey:
This is just unfortunate... While some of you will choose to call her a realist, I think she ought to be sacked... She has no business being the boss over the company she believes lacks the capacity of making any serious achievement.
Every thing we see around us today was once thought to be impossible. What she lacks is the knowledge of how to bring about the desired change.

Oh.. I never knew her agency or her has such money to finance it. She said nigeria is not bouyant enough to finance it and now it's her incapability. Funny

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Collins0609(m): 10:46am On Nov 03, 2016
Na now e don clear for nigerians eye
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by kokomilala(m): 10:49am On Nov 03, 2016
Such a people cannot be a leading light, where there is need for inspired leadership.Hers is a mentality of defeatism-we cannot do anything mentality.
Niger, just at the edge of the Sahara,has a repertoire of uranium, from where nuclear is developed.Agreed that it is capital intensive, but so are all things in the power sector.
It takes, in most nations that have developed, the political will, smart planning and projection,self sacrifice on the part of everyone, and great prioritizing of needs.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 03, 2016
igbodefender:
Why do nuclear when coal is lying idle. Liking this news.

With a complete combustion or fission, approx. 8 kWh of heat can be generated from 1 kg of coal, approx. 12 kWh from 1 kg of mineral oil and around 24,000,000 kWh from 1 kg of uranium-235. Related to one kilogram, uranium-235 contains two to three million times the energy equivalent of oil or coal. The illustration shows how much coal, oil or natural uranium is required for a certain quantity of electricity. Thus, 1 kg natural uranium - following a corresponding enrichment and used for power generation in light water reactors - corresponds to nearly 10,000 kg of mineral oil or 14,000 kg of coal and enables the generation of 45,000 kWh of electricity.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by iyeyemi: 10:58am On Nov 03, 2016
mrdeey:
I watched her on TV when she made the declaration and I wondered how such an individual got such a job. Even if it will be hard or near impossible, best she could have said was, 'It will be hard but we will do our best' ...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by khalhokage(m): 11:12am On Nov 03, 2016
Phinity318:
Me I'm not in support of this nuclear power for now. let us develop our security apparatus first. invest more in investigative security. Imagine Militant blowing up a nuclear facility. the country will be on a melt down. not to mention the negative impact on the air we breathe and the water we drink.
Spidermon:
Even if we can, we shouldnt.

Imagine another militant group comes up and decide they wanna blow up a nuclear power plant in Nigeria.

mengho:
You must never give Nigerians nuclear thingy unless you want to wipe us off the world map, Nigerians like blowing stuff up, d day nuclear thingy becomes active, I will leave dis country 4 gud
Spidermon:
Even if we can, we shouldnt.

Imagine another militant group comes up and decide they wanna blow up a nuclear power plant in Nigeria.

It doesn't work like that, blowing up a nuclear power plant isn't going to just cause a meltdown, they'll need to work much harder than that to cause an incident also the technology used to harness nuclear power has come a very long way.

If causing a meltdown was that easy international terrorists would target such facilities rather than office buildings.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by ceejay4real(m): 11:36am On Nov 03, 2016
Lasskeey:
.......Green Energy ! THE WEST HAS ALREADY BLOCKED THAT HOPE OF PRODUCING ENERGY FROM COAL........ cool

My guy, China, India and Pakistan still generate power from coal. I mentioned them cos I am cock sure of what I am saying. In fact, Pakistan just finished a 2.6 billion dollars coal fired thermal power facility in conjunction with the Chinese like 3 months ago! So my brother what are you saying? The last time I checked, Nigeria is in Africa and not Europe or North America! There's abundance of coal in Enugu, Kogi and Benue States. So why allow all that resource to lie waste underground?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by juman(m): 11:40am On Nov 03, 2016
This is a country rotted away because of greediness of few people, but present government is obviously not capable to handle the problems.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Lasskeey: 11:48am On Nov 03, 2016
ceejay4real:

My guy, China, India and Pakistan still generate power from coal. I mentioned them cos I am cock sure of what I am saying. In fact, Pakistan just finished a 2.6 billion dollars coal fired thermal power facility in conjunction with the Chinese like 3 months ago! So my brother what are you saying? The last time I checked, Nigeria is in Africa and not Europe or North America! There's abundance of coal in Enugu, Kogi and Benue States. So why allow all that resource to lie waste underground?
. .....

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 11:49am On Nov 03, 2016
AnodaIT:

That face when you realize you have been arguing with a kid

Ema binu sir.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Nobody: 11:53am On Nov 03, 2016
iyeyemi:
I watched her on TV when she made the declaration and I wondered how such an individual got such a job. Even if it will be hard or near impossible, best she could have said was, 'It will be hard but we will do our best' ...

Those are the kind of visionless people we task with noving the country forward
It has been said
That you are only as big as ur dreams
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Gerrard59(m): 12:06pm On Nov 03, 2016
Wind energy, yes. Nuclear energy, no. If we're going to be among the top economies in the world, we need nuclear energy. Cheaper in the long term, safer (yes it's. France is the highest user of nuclear power, no accident. Apart from Chernobly and Fukushima, where else? One due to incompetence and negligence, the other due to a tsunami and earthquake), cost efficient, high megawatts produced, climate friendly etc.

The only thing, IMO, that stops us from utilizing nuclear energy is our ridiculous mentality at doing things. The Nigerian mentality is a ridiculous one.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by AfroBlue(m): 12:43pm On Nov 03, 2016
I think solar power is the wave of the future.

would love to see some solar panel factories spring up in 9ja soon.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by amanikondo: 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2016
AnodaIT:

Were you not around when our president went somewhere to sign a document that we must never burn coal.
. Then the next day he regretted and start complaining about how western powers are stopping us from using coal.

Those same western countries built their economy with coal which is the cheapest source of energy for a developing country, now that they are rich, they use global warming to stop other nations from being energy sufficient

The western govt is not stopping anyone. This is a world agreement and China the largest culprit is reducing and investing more in clean energy. Also, it is not only Nigeria that signed.
You think global warming is farce? Where I live , it used to be cold this time, for some years now, it is always warm. No more jacket.

Instead of you to blame your past leaders about lack of knowledge than chopping your common wealth in this vain world.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Fraust40(m): 1:30pm On Nov 03, 2016
mrdeey:
Every thing we see around us today was once thought to be impossible. What she lacks is the knowledge of how to bring about the desired changem.

Do you read?

dipoolowoo:
By Dipo Olowookere

She told the lawmakers, who paid her agency a working visit, that the 20,000MW target was capital intensive, stressing there is no way the country will meet up within the time frame.

“We cannot run nuclear in Nigeria, and the question of wind energy, forget it. It’s just a story. We cannot run all that in Nigeria. It’s just a wish list (because Nigeria is not financially buoyant enough for such venture),” Mrs Amobi emphasised.

http://www.businesspost.ng/2016/11/02/nigeria-forget-nuclear-wind-energy-nbet-boss/

She doesn't lack "the knowledge of how to bring about the desired change," she has enough knowledge to know it won't happen within the timeframe and with the present financial climate. Mumu!!!

It's people like you that'll give your wife #100 and expect her to cook Garri and Egwusi soup rich with meat, fish and okporoko as night food, and then beat her up when you come home to meet watery soup without, and waterlogged EBA.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Nobody: 1:39pm On Nov 03, 2016
Preator:
kudos to the woman for saying the obvious. most people may call her a pessimist, but her words are true. simple economics has taught us that our needs are vast but the resources to achieve them are limited. this limitations are called constraints. the power sector faces a lot of that now.

financially we do not have the ability to invest in building either more dams(which are not advisable) or the costly thermal plants. furthermore, thermal plants which supply the current bulk of our power is subject to the whims and caprices of our cousins in the south(they mostly use gases).

there is also something she forgot to mention, the national grid can not evacuate more than 6000mw(that's me being optimistic) for now. to improve that ability to 10000mw(which is the output capacity of the current generating plants under ideal conditions) will probably break the bank and I don't think we have the political will.

secondly we have significant technological disadvantage when it comes to employing nuclear power. I'm sure most people will not want one manned by Nigerian engineers installed close enough to your city and of course there is IAEA.

we simply don't have the land mass to utilse wind power economically.

our best bet is switching our thermal plant from been gas-fired to coal-fired. this is possible and cheaper than building new ones and reduces the effect of our Cousins in the south.
for comparison sake, China and India produces approximately 69% and 61% of their energy from coal. India's 61% translates to 164.6GW.

but I trust Nigerians, we prefer being lied to.

abeg please vote for me in 2019. I promise to:

1. increase power supply to 40,000mw in 4yrs
2. reduce the cost of energy to #7 per kWh
3.reduce pump price of petrol to #65
4. 1 naira will equal 10dollars(this is the easiest one sef)
5. of course bag of rice will become 5k
you must be an engineer.... engineers don't see impossibility.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2016
ceejay4real:

because sick people are in power... lawyers and economist. ... they only see laws and money not possibilities

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Preator: 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nalikedis:
you must be an engineer.... engineers don't see impossibility.
let's say I'm "engineeringly" biased. there are no impossibilities in this world, only constraints to be surmounted.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by eaglechild: 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2016
mrdeey:

It costs between 260 - 400 million naira to generate1 MW of electricity in Nigeria using LNG which for now is one of the fastest and cheapest means in Nigeria. https://www.nairaland.com/1474680/gov-fashola-spends-n400-million

This means that to generate 20 000MW it will cost about 5.6 to 8 trillion naira.

Now our projected revenue as a country for 2016 is 3.86trillion. http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/68567/
What this means is that if we spent all our income as a country from 2016 to 2019 on nothing but power we just might be able to generate 20000MW. Or we may fall short if our income dips.

Do you see why she said it is impossible to achieve this by 2020?
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by TomHagen: 2:22pm On Nov 03, 2016
Oluwamuyeewa:
I've lost hope in Nigeria since march 6 1994.
March 6 na my birthday wetin happen?
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 2:32pm On Nov 03, 2016
TomHagen:
March 6 na my birthday wetin happen?

Nothing bro just my birthday grin
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Rayplanet(m): 2:33pm On Nov 03, 2016
Spot on, it's not feasible madam.
Thought what the FG has in mind is 10,000MW by 2019? Or are they going to generate additional 10,000MW within 365days?
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by Keldceo10(m): 2:40pm On Nov 03, 2016
Sayin wind energy is nt possible in nigeria is a Big lie. alot of energy can be generated 4rm wind 4rm our costal areas. Mostly off shore wind farm. It is less expensive dan nuclear

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by vioment: 3:17pm On Nov 03, 2016
A realist. I like her honesty.
We cannot do nuclear because it is very expensive and really the expertise is not there. There are lots of high grade sciences or engineering which we lack more than the basic expertise on in Nigeria. People say wind, if we have that much meaningful wind, you will be feeling it in the coastal areas eg lagos, ph, and co. So it is unrealistic. No research on wind from Nigeria. We may be waiting for some foreigners to go do the research for us whereby they need pay and are busy researching their own areas.

Our way out is through coal, gas, oil, and to a lesser extent solar but we don't have the battery technology for solar because the sun doesn't shine all day.

The chicken has already come home to roost in Nigeria. Our universities are failing woefully except for a mediocre few like one or two. Instead of building more universities which the elites won't take their kids to, renovate and improve the ones we already have. Clear the schools of cultism and pay teachers for us to have a chance to reach our expectations.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by shotster50(m): 3:40pm On Nov 03, 2016
Nuclear energy.. in Nigeria?! lol someone has a sense of humour....
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by adimsmt: 4:29pm On Nov 03, 2016
teepsee:
cool thank God she is sincere, not like her fellows who will tell us that we can all fly before 2020.

First [size=15pt]afonjas[/size] with good head

She is Igbo not afonjas what is the meaning of that anyway.
Re: Nigeria Should Forget About Nuclear, Wind Energy—nbet Boss by mikolo80: 5:55pm On Nov 03, 2016
igbodefender:
Why do nuclear when coal is lying idle. Liking this news.
climate change

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari: I Hope God Listens To Our Prayers On Insecurity / Pept’s Verdict And The Task Before The Supreme Court By Farooq A. Kperogi / Supreme Court Reserves Judgement In Sanwo-olu’s Suit On Lagos Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.