Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? (3678 Views)

What's The Present Situation Of Electricity In Your Area? / Nigeria Will Overtake Us If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security’ / Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by DeepSoul(f): 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2007
Whn I saw the title of the thread, I almost flipped! 24hrs! We'd be lucky to see 10hrs!

Methinks the power situation in Rivers has become worse since they commissioned the so called 60 billion naira "generator"!

@Chidexy
I think Bayelsa is now finally connected to the grid. They really weren't missing much anyway!

Being optimistic, I think the power situation, generally, will get better soon. Who'd have thought we'd have a functional telecoms industry, say, 8yrs ago?
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by batosai: 5:13pm On Jan 05, 2007
i'd say we'd b lucky
by the way i heard PHCN means Please Have your Candles Neraby
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Crownvilla(m): 10:01pm On Jan 05, 2007
I beg to differ with those of you who blame the failure of Omoku IPP on the distribution system. I would assume that before you commit N50 billion of public money into a project, you do the relevant research and have a sound understanding of the existing legislation.

If Rivers state don't have the legal mandate to distribute power, have they just discoverd this after the event? Why didn't they enter a rock solid agreement or MOU with PHCN for the distribution before they embarked on such a massive project?

The selfsame Rivers have at least two other Independent Power Plants (IPPs); one in Eleme and somehwere else. Did the first one ever work? If not, why didn't they rectify whatever the problem was with the first IPP before embarking on more?

By the way, why call it Independent if it isn't?

During the commissioning ceremony on 5/12/06, they told the whole world that there would be constant power supply in Rivers. What a farce!!!
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by McKren(m): 12:12am On Jan 06, 2007
Crownvilla someone will soon tell you, you dont understand
Understand what that the Government did not do a feasibility study before embarking on the project? that the Government did not know that the legislation available will not permit them to distribute it and thus look for an alternative? Why commit N50b to a project that will fail if its not a decoy to syphon money.
They are waisting theretime, whatever Nigeria is we are all bearing the brunt somehow no matter how highly placed.

@ McKren you do not have a proper understanding of the problems
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by CrazyMan(m): 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2007
Looks like you all have forgotten you are in Nigeria.
am sure it was a mistake.
maybe he ment 24 seconds angry
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Radiant(f): 1:52am On Jan 07, 2007
When I saw the topic, I was happy until I read the first post and others. angry
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by babake81(m): 10:12pm On Jan 07, 2007
generator merchants are not about to close shop in naija any time soon

, 24 hr electricity ke!
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by asdan(m): 5:51pm On Jan 08, 2007
yes for the pass 72hrs Rivers state have jenjoy uninterrupted power.the omoku gas turbine is working
Sani
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by babake81(m): 9:08pm On Jan 08, 2007
what part of rivers state r u talking about?? talk wetin u sabi
no be dem say, no part of PH enjoys 24/7 electricity, I stand to be corrected
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by EJaja(m): 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2007
Forget Odili he is just a good talker his nick name is papa promise, he only used the power project to enrich himself and some other of his friends,

he has nothing to be remmbered for in Rivers state when he leaves office
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by azorjiu(m): 4:31pm On Jan 10, 2007
There might be a glowing splint at the end of the tunnel. Let's pray it works this time around.

Below is an article culled from thisday

Obasanjo to Commission a Power Plant Per Month
From Josephine Lohor in Abuja, 01.10.2007

President Olusegun Obasanjo is to commission one power plant each month in the remaining five months of his administration which would begin in February, with the Geregu Power Plant in Kogi State.
Speaking during the Presidential Stakeholders Forum on the Economy yesterday, the Obasanjo regretted that although he had earlier promised to begin such commissioning this month, the Omotosho Power Plant would be commissioned in March, while that of Papalanto in Ogun State is slated for April. He also set an April 1, 2006 date for the take-off of the introduction of ethanol in fuel in the country.
While disclosing that the next meeting of stakeholders on the economy will hold April 5, the President emphasised that the meeting would look at �where we started, where we are, where we want to be by 2010 � 2015. We will even want to take it to 2020.�
He also noted that the Federal Government is �anchoring the reforms in such a way that they will not be a flash in the pan. They will be sustained�, added that �we are getting things right in agriculture, health, telecommunication, banking and power where for over 10 years before we came, there was not a cent in investment in power. That is 10 years of nothing in that sector�.
Reacting to a comment on the level of smuggling in the country, Obasanjo stated that, �from all records, the Customs are doing their best. But at times, Garri pass water for them. But they are doing their best. Unfortunately, what is being smuggled is so annoyingly irrelevant; used tyres, etc. I do not know�.
Minister of Finance, Nenadi Usman, who made a presentation at the Stakeholders forum, described the 2007 budget as that which represents �renewed and strengthened commitment to move Nigeria forward�.
She said expectations for 2007 is that inflation will remain stable at 9 per cent, and accelerated growth of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) that will be driven by the non-oil sector, improvement in human capital and reduction and eradication of poverty.
The Minister noted that �there has been a lot of positive development in the Nigerian economy�.
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Professor Chukwuma Soludo, had while making his presentation disclosed that �the high levels of poverty is a normal phenomenon in the northern part of the country with States like Jigawa where 95 per cent of the people live in poverty and Adamawa where 72 per cent live in poverty.�
Although governors of most of the States in the North did not attend the economic forum when Soludo reeled out the figures, he however advised State governors to explore the possibility of borrowing on behalf of their States and then giving out same to farmers.
He made a GDP projection of 7.87 per cent provided the general elections are peaceful, reforms are sustained, macro-economic stability continues and agriculture strives, amongst others.
In her submission, the Chairman of the National Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Ms. Ifueko Omoigui, who noted that since 1961 no tax laws have been passed in the country while presently there are nine bills before the National Assembly for passage into law, called on all organisations to pay their taxes as and when due to ensure a sustainable future.
�If you are not taxing allowances, you are acting against the law. Please go ahead and do your proper taxes now before we get to your organisation. As long as the law exists, you are bound to comply with the law completely. Please support tax reforms in order to build a more sustainable future�, she said.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Crownvilla(m): 9:30pm On Jan 10, 2007
Hi Peeps, please read this piece culled from the Punch today:

Omoku generates 36.2MW
By Atser Godwin
Published: Wednesday, 10 Jan 2007
Rivers State 150MW power project, Omoku is generating only 36.2megawatts to the national grid, investigations by our correspondent has revealed.

The figure represents less than two per cent of the current national generation output which stands close to 3,300MW.

This is in spite of claims by the Rivers State Governor, Dr. Peter Odili, last Thursday that the power project was generating 105MW to the national grid.

A breakdown of the generation output of power stations across the country revealed that Kainji is generating 425MW, Jebba, 260MW; Shiroro, 290MW; Egbin,673MW; Ajaokuta 87MW, AES, 289.6MW; Sapele 64MW; Agip Okpai, 444MW, Afam, 271MW; Delta, 409MW and Omoku, 36.2MW.

Omoku, which has a capacity of 150MW, was inaugurated in December 2006, but the plant has not impacted positively of the power situation in Rivers State.

Besides, the power project is believed to be under investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission based on petitions by indigenes who alleged that the project was overpriced.

Responding to criticisms that the power project has not improved, Odili had blamed the short supply in the state on obsolete facilities being used by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Rubbermaid(f): 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2007
This is what we need - offshore wind farms for constant electricity. We can afford it if people stop stuffing their pockets.

http://thrillingwonder..com/2007/01/wind-power-in-stormy-waters.html
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Mariory(m): 4:47pm On Jan 11, 2007
Those are hugely expensive for the corresponding amount of electricity they will genenrate. That cost will then be passed onto the consumer. I highly doubt the average nigerian consumer can afford it.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by oluite(f): 3:12pm On Jan 12, 2007
24 hrs electricity shocked dat's a problem for our generation to solve.Ar u preparing 4 dat task? wink
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Labans(m): 11:40am On Jan 13, 2007
cry cry cry cry cry cryPlease lets forget Dr Peter Odili for now, because the Man does not exist, the only thing He succeded in doing was to kill all the prominent Rivers Men that opposes his idea of looting the Treasury. GOD is watching Him embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by member67023: 12:44pm On Jan 13, 2007
@Olart,
E bi like say u dey work for EFCC,
Abeg give us more gist (on the other 35 governors if possible). So that our people will know whats happening.
The bible says "my people perish for lack of knowledge".
Our leaders have so fallen madly in love with power and greed that their poverty mentality causes them to keep stealing public funds with political deceptions and gimmicks.

I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The fear of EFCC is the beginning of Wisdom!!!
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Ezenwenyi(m): 12:46pm On Jan 13, 2007
I wish there is 24hrs power supply in Port-Harcourt,i wouldn't have been running back to Enugu where i enjoy good power supply even if it's not 24hrs,but it is far better than rivers state that have been claiming to supply the people with constant power supply.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by Yimsfred(m): 7:04pm On Jan 14, 2007
Yes, there's 24 hours power supply in Port Harcourt when I went there. But, it did not exceed a day, I mean, it did not become 48, and that was the closest. More so, who knows if it was suspended when I slumbered for about 5 hours at night? And nothing similar happpened throughout my 8 day of visitation
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by kfasian: 7:23pm On Jan 14, 2007
Having constant light on the pages of newspaper could be an achievment too; or what do you think?

I live in Port Harcourt and at times I wonder why respectable people like His Exellency should be telling "pollitical" lies.

The truth is that Port Harcourt like any other city in Nigeria is having NEPA failure every day. or is it POWER HOLDING ?
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by chidichris(m): 9:58am On Jan 15, 2007
chidexy, i like ur position on this issue but i would want u to not only look at electricity as a problem but also as a basic facility.
if the government at all levels fails to provide electricity, pipeborne waters, good roads and security, then the system is a failed one.
the issue here is not only supply because individuals can arrange for generators but at what cost are we getting these supplies?
us and other rich countries of the world are all owning so why will it be our first interest to pay up our debts.
is it out interest to convience the world that we are comfortable and do not need funds from world banks and other international finacial institutions.
we need the need funds to provide the citizenry with the basic facilities and good environment for the development of the country.
we are a great nation but trip to other developed countries of the world will make u understand that we are far backward.
the money belongs to the country and should be used for the betterment of the country.
why will obj be commmissioning unconfirmed projects. this amounts to deciet on the side of the president to the public.
he is a total failure and the governors will always divert the state's funds and turn back to incite voilence on the side of the militants with nobody asking the governors the where about of the state allocations which come on monthly basis.
they are all into the games and the name of the game is cover up.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by londonman(m): 6:08pm On Jan 15, 2007
please, electricity supply is at its lowest ebb. i live in the heart of port harcourt and we sleep in total darkness all night. the gas turbines are not functioning at all
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by staloone(m): 6:15pm On Jan 15, 2007
cryWell i solisite with you. I also stay in Port harcourt, i also xperince the same thing but, i tell you those involved in electricity malpractics God is watching closely at them, remember happy days are coming, that is in heaven, okey.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by magneto(m): 11:17am On Jan 16, 2007
God bless u for that report Olart! EFCC is opening their yansh. . . their day of reckoning is not far at all. there is still hope for the poor masses.
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by 9ja4eva: 10:25pm On Jan 17, 2007
He should be hung.What a greedy thief.But when dem go pick Ibori sef?
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by cecipopula(f): 4:22pm On Jan 20, 2007
Na only God go help us for this world oooooh
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by McKren(m): 4:40pm On Jan 20, 2007
9ja4eva:

He should be hung.What a greedy thief.But when them go pick Ibori sef?

long dream, Ibori wey dey sponsor Yaradua presidency
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by 9ja4eva: 5:07am On Jan 26, 2007
McKren:

long dream, Ibori wey dey sponsor Yaradua presidency

Them go catch am.Just they look Director of Movie OBJ.No be d same thing im dey try do Odili.Watch and see
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by uspry1(f): 4:31am On Feb 18, 2007
What about my topic: Wind-generated Electricity Energy I submit on the following link at below?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-40919.0.html
Re: 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? by chyk91(m): 11:52pm On Jul 22, 2009
The lite is not 24 hours, but its kinda steady especially at rumuokoro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chief Ebenezer Babatope Is Breaking My Heart / Re – Who Will Defeat Jonathan In 2015? Joe Igbokwe Responds. / Photos:buhari Dresses In Different Attires To Show Love For National Unity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.