Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,859 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:54 AM

Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief (654 Views)

Trump's Impeachment: Chief Justice, Senators Sworn In / Boko Haram: Chad Fires Military Chief Over Death Of 23 Soldiers / Boko Haram: Chad President Fires Military Chief Over Death Of 23 Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief by SirShymexx: 10:35am On Nov 04, 2016
A Donald Trump presidency could make the world a safer place, according to a former leader of the British military who dismissed concerns the Republican presidential candidate could damage Western security. Lord Richards of Herstmonceux, the chief of defence staff between 2010 and 2013, said Trump’s approach to foreign policy could “reinvigorate big power relationships” and in the process “might make the world ironically safer”. “There is a case for saying that big power politics is what we’re missing,” Richards said in an interview with The House, a magazine produced for British parliamentarians.

“In the Cold War era states coalesced and they had this understanding and it worked – even though there was a massive amount at stake, communications and mutual understanding between Russia and America wasn’t too bad.” Richards, who was Britain’s most senior military officer and is now a peer in the House of Lords, said there was no reason to think Trump would cause chaos: “It’s non-state actors like ISIS that are the biggest threat to our security. If countries and states could coalesce better to deal with these people – and I think Trump’s instinct is to go down that route – then I think there’s the case for saying that the world certainly won’t be any less safe.

“It’s that lack of understanding and empathy with each other as big power players that is a risk to us all at the moment.” While insisting he was no fan of either Presidential candidate, Richards insisted some fears of a Trump presidency on global stability are overblown: “I think he is wise enough to get good people round him and probably knows that he’s got to listen to them, and therefore I think we should not automatically think it will be less safe.”

The former military leader, who has a history of outspoken remarks since leaving office, also criticised Hillary Clinton’s proposal for a no-fly zone in Syria and suggested Western nations should allow Syrian leader Bashar Al-Assad to take back Aleppo: “I believe there is a strong case for allowing Assad to get in there and take the city back.

“The fact is, the only way to get it to stop now is to allow Assad to win and win quickly and then turn on ISIS with the Russians.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/donald-trump-could-make-the-world-safer-says-former-british?utm_term=.vkDBERVzM2#.qlo8myv6Bj
Re: Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief by dukechilezie(m): 10:36am On Nov 04, 2016
It is only God that can make the world safe. Donald Trump is a mortal, he is not God.
Re: Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief by SirShymexx: 10:38am On Nov 04, 2016
If you don't know how complicit the Clinton family is in how effed up naij is - watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LYRUOd_QoM

This is just a bit of the crimes of crooked Hitler-y and her husband. grin

2 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief by kentuta(m): 10:39am On Nov 04, 2016
I stand with Trump cos i can never be cowed by Media propaganda of the Clintons... out of every two evil, there is always a better one and Trump is better....

3 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Could Make The World Safer, Says Former British Military Chief by ever811(m): 10:42am On Nov 04, 2016
abegi...make we hear word..

(1) (Reply)

America Is Bleeding / US Election: Clinton Wanted To Curl Up After Trump Win / Top Kenyan Politician Caught Unclad With Lover In A Viral Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.