Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us (45693 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Diary Of An International Student, North Cyprus (thread Reopened) / Nigerian Student's In Philipines, How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 7:08pm On Oct 29, 2009
I see many of our youth struggling, reading, fasting, hustling to travel to the US for studies purpose. The F-1 visa is no more strange to a layman out there who also dreams of going 2 the US as a student, undecided, well i have seen many who suceeded in getting the visa at last but little do they know about the financial aspect as regards paying fees, rent, feeding, transport and other bills in the US without having to work outside campus the 1st year. The questions are: How would they manage to cope and Study without working. Please kindly and SINCERELY enlighten us from your experience so that dem naija students who hopes to scale through the immigration stress without enough cash to survive on when they arrive in d US could know the realities of things b4 making d moves, cry

3 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 7:13pm On Oct 29, 2009
Realistically speaking, no Nigerian should obtain an F-1 visa if he doesnt have enough funds to cover at least the first 2 yrs.
School fees are the least of your financial troubles . . . what of feeding, housing (forget about gas, electric and water bills), monthly phone bills (at least you will call naija abi), travel expenses (especially during summer when you cant stay in student housing).

You cant work for the first 1 yr and even at that how much can you earn working 20hrs a week? Are you thinking of getting a car? Well think again - vehicle insurance (will be high for you since you're obtaining a new US drivers license), registration, inspection, maintenance (since you wont be buying a new car), gas.

You cant survive here if you're making less than $1000 a month (without taking out rent o) since plenty of government safety net programs are not open to you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 7:27pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ davidylan,

Thanks so much, im sure someone is learning here, but really those that were given the visa and are in this condition how do they manage, seems many drop out, undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2009
If u don't have enough funds, only come if u have a reliable family member to stay with. It won't be the best but at least its a start.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 8:02pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ pasakosa,

The truth is that many of the 95% of the desperate youths doesn't av a reliable family in the US who would like 2 bear such burden, and even which family member would leave his own pahala to settle some huge amount of schools fees (millions of Naira equivalent) that they charge international student in the US. It feels to me that most of these guys end up dropping out or do ENOUGH illegal works after school hours 2 manage the bills.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 8:05pm On Oct 29, 2009
@ pasakosa,

The truth is that  95% of the desperate youths  doesn't av a reliable family in the US who would like 2 bear such burden, and even which family member would leave his own palava to settle some huge amount of schools fees (millions of Naira equivalent) that they charge international student in the US. It feels to me that most of these guys end up dropping out or start doing ENOUGH illegal works after school hours 2 manage the bills.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by sayhi2ay(m): 8:12pm On Oct 29, 2009
Lets break it down.

Say the school is on a quarter system (10 weeks = 1 Quarter) - 4 quarters in a year.

For graduate school, you pay nothing less than $6500(including health insurance and what not) per quarter (10 weeks) (Please disregard what is written on your I-20).
For undergraduate (depending on the number of classes per quarter, your tuition should be around $6000/quarter

Rent: if you decide to share an apt, you'd pay >= $300/month (staying on campus will cost more, I dont advice it!)
Water: $20/month
Power: $40/month
Cable/Internet: $40/month
Car insurance: >= $50/month (depending on your age)
Phone bill: >= $35/month
Books: >= $100/Quarter if you decide to purchase from amazon or ebay

As an international student, you can't work off campus until after 9 months of being a full time student. However, you can work on campus for a maximum of 20hrs/week. You get paid around $8/hr (minimum wage i think)

So if you are not on scholarship, or your sponsor is not paying your tuition, or you are on half-scholarship, please do the maths above to know where you stand financially.

If you get an F-1 visa and decide to skip school, or work off campus when you are not supposed to, the international office will report you to DHS, and you will become an illegal.

All the best.

4 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by posakosa(m): 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2009
^^^^^ you're right. I didn't say that the family member will pay for your school fees. Im saying that at least the student won't have to worry about rent/food/gas and some things.

They can also find you an abe-ile job---- because they've been around for a while.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by sayhi2ay(m): 8:40pm On Oct 29, 2009
Lets break it down.

Say the school is on a quarter system (10 weeks = 1 Quarter) - 4 quarters in a year.

For graduate school, you pay nothing less than $6500(including health insurance and what not) per quarter (10 weeks) (Please disregard what is written on your I-20).
For undergraduate (depending on the number of classes per quarter, your tuition should be around $6000/quarter

Rent: if you decide to share an apt, you'd pay >= $300/month (staying on campus will cost more, I dont advice it!)
Water: $20/month
Power: $40/month
Cable/Internet: $40/month
Car insurance: >= $50/month (depending on your age)
Phone bill: >= $35/month
Books: >= $100/Quarter if you decide to purchase from amazon or ebay

As an international student, you can't work off campus until after 9 months of being a full time student. However, you can work on campus for a maximum of 20hrs/week. You get paid around $8/hr (minimum wage i think)

So if you are not on scholarship, or your sponsor is not paying your tuition, or you are on half-scholarship, please do the maths above to know where you stand financially.

If you get an F-1 visa and decide to skip school, or work off campus when you are not supposed to, the international office will report you to DHS, and you will become an illegal.

All the best.

3 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by tjadeba(m): 11:02pm On Oct 30, 2009
re-phrase your topic to The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Americas/Europe,.It's all the same in the UK and in Canada, that,i know of.

If in doubt, a trial will convinve anybody.

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by coolzil: 1:04pm On Oct 31, 2009
Uhmm, thumbs up 4 the wise people in the house, wink, can we now say 1000'sssssss of Nigerians who were able to get the F-1 visa without having adequate cash and sponsor, who believe they would find a MIRACULOUS JOB when they land in yankee!! are MOSTLY school drop outs and illegal in the US or in the UK, where the tuitions and living expenses is as high as mountain everest, in millions of naira, sad embarassed cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 5:29pm On Oct 31, 2009
cool zil:

Uhmm, thumbs up 4 the wise people in the house, wink, can we now say 1000'sssssss of Nigerians who were able to get the F-1 visa without having adequate cash and sponsor, who believe they would find a MIRACULOUS JOB when they land in yankee!! are MOSTLY school drop outs and illegal in the US or in the UK, where the tuitions and living expenses is as high as mountain everest, in millions of naira, sad embarassed cry

Pple will not listen, some silly agents will promise them bank statement for visa application, but they are only shooting themselves at the leg cos when u got the visa without money to pays bills and fees then u are in for tough time.

3 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by justwise(m): 6:05pm On Oct 31, 2009
posakosa:

not much. just home. will go gulfing soon.
Can i join u? wink

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by gongoaso1: 8:39pm On Oct 31, 2009
I so like this topic.
but as justwise said, pple will just not listen
this financial aspect of US studentship was discussed on the visa thread

those who have ears. . .
If you are not on full scholarship please don't ever think you will pay tuition out of any work you might be doing.
and if your tuition has been paid, ensure you have some funding ahead to cover some months rent and feeding.
getting a job on campus aint easy of which the pay is real crappy. remember you are not the only international student. you have other nationals competing for these same jobs.
and sorry but true, your nationality might not help too.
WORD!!!
cool

6 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by DisGuy: 10:32pm On Oct 31, 2009
tjadeba:

re-phrase your topic to The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Americas/Europe,.It's all the same in the UK and in Canada, that,i know of.

If in doubt, a trial will convinve anybody.

OP should i change the title as this is similar to what those without adequate fund go through in other countries?

The Bitter-truth As An International Student  ?
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by gongoaso1: 11:05pm On Oct 31, 2009
Dis Guy:

OP should i change the title as this is similar to what those without adequate fund go through in other countries?

The Bitter-truth As An International Student  ?

well while same conditions may apply to other countries, there are some stuffs peculiar to the US.
other stuffs are peculiar to other countries too.
so IMO. topic stays to avoid confusion
smiley
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nobody: 1:32am On Nov 01, 2009
gongo aso:

I so like this topic.
but as justwise said, pple will just not listen
this financial aspect of US studentship was discussed on the visa thread

those who have ears. . .
If you are not on full scholarship please don't ever think you will pay tuition out of any work you might be doing.
and if your tuition has been paid, ensure you have some funding ahead to cover some months rent and feeding.
getting a job on campus aint easy of which the pay is real crappy. remember you are not the only international student. you have other nationals competing for these same jobs.
and sorry but true, your nationality might not help too.
WORD!!!
cool

Na so Make them hear ooo!!!

cool zil:

@ pasakosa,

The truth is that  95% of the desperate youths  doesn't av a reliable family in the US who would like 2 bear such burden, and even which family member would leave his own palava to settle some huge amount of schools fees (millions of Naira equivalent) that they charge international student in the US. It feels to me that most of these guys end up dropping out or start doing ENOUGH illegal works after school hours 2 manage the bills.

That is what it is o:::::  embarassed It is when you get there you will know whats up

Schooling abroad is meant for the rich people ooooooooooooo! (I mean sufficient funds/Sponsorer) No be beans and yam oooooooooooooooooooooooooo#

Even that PT job can't pay any dime bills, some of them just do the job to get some cash for themselves to pay miscellaneous expenses

I salute people wey dey school abroad oo! No be small thing oooooooo heeeeeeeeee  shocked

SELF SPONSORED
But God dey, if you got the strong mind:: put head!
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by phuckNL: 2:07am On Nov 01, 2009
There is no bitter truth anywhere. I believe the II-20 gives a ball park value as to expected expenses. People who get to the U.S and complain probably had no intention of going to school in the first place. How can a "literate" secondary school/university graduate expect to pay the exorhbitant fees via part time jobs. You would have to be a real DULLARD to think that. The estimated yearly expenses for my uni is $45,000. If i didn't get a scholarship, then yankee would be a no go for me.!!

2 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by netotse(m): 2:16am On Nov 01, 2009
phuck_NL:

There is no bitter truth anywhere. I believe the II-20 gives a ball park value as to expected expenses. People who get to the U.S and complain probably had no intention of going to school in the first place. How can a "literate" secondary school/university graduate expect to pay the exorhbitant fees via part time jobs. You would have to be a real DULLARD to think that. The estimated yearly expenses for my uni is $45,000. If i didn't get a scholarship, then yankee would be a no go for me.!!
some ppl are just out to leave naija at all costs now, we have quite a few on NL sef.

3 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by manmustwac(m): 2:23am On Nov 01, 2009
Everybody would leave nigeria if they had the oppotunity.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by johnkent(m): 3:11am On Nov 01, 2009
Very few people like myself come to the US as a student and have it easy for them. Had family who put me up and took care of my tuition for 4 yrs. I remember looking for a job while in sch and my mom was laughing at me. She kept saying i didnt bring u here to work but to go sch and i expect all A's.
I remember my other african friends who were here on student visas and practically had to work outta campus illegally to make ends meet. Most of them couldnt graduate and the few that graduated were able to do so because they were getting somewhat support from home.

yeah, i totally understand folks wanting to study in the states but u really have to be able to support yourself for the entire years that u'll be studying. Now i understand why the embassy refuse visas to students who cant show proof that they can pay their tuition because there is absolutely no way u can make it working 20 hrs/wk on campus for about $8/hr. U cant even live on that pay let alone pay tuition. Thats why alot of students drop outta school.

7 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Raymond4kc: 3:39am On Nov 01, 2009
Just to add to what have been said already , I don't advise one to come to the United states to study as an undergraduate if ones parents is not a high class citizen in Nigeria. However, you can still come  over even if your parents is not well to do at all , but this time as a graduate student (that is,you are coming for Masters or Phd) provided you made a good result in your first degree WITHOUT ANY SHORT CUT, you understand ? (good result , I mean a CGPA of at least 4.00 ). THIS YOU CAN DO IN AN EASY WAY, WITH JUST A TRICK MANY PEOPLE DONT KNOW. BUT THE TRICK WORKS MORE FOR PHD STUDENTS.

In that way, you don't have to think much of the monetary aspect.  NOTICE THAT THE ONLY LANGUAGE IN THE STATES IS : 'I NEED TO PAY MY BILLS' IS A MUST FOR EVERYBODY. NO BOYCOTTING !

I WISH U THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVOURS.
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by RichyBlacK(m): 4:19am On Nov 01, 2009
Raymond4kc:

Just to add to what have been said already , I don't advise one to come to the United states to study as an undergraduate if ones parents is not a high class citizen in Nigeria. However, you can still come  over even if your parents is not well to do at all , but this time as a graduate student (that is,you are coming for Masters or Phd) provided you made a good result in your first degree WITHOUT ANY SHORT CUT, you understand ? (good result , I mean a CGPA of at least 4.00 ). THIS YOU CAN DO IN AN EASY WAY, WITH JUST A TRICK MANY PEOPLE DONT KNOW. BUT THE TRICK WORKS MORE FOR PHD STUDENTS.

In that way, you don't have to think much of the monetary aspect.  NOTICE THAT THE ONLY LANGUAGE IN THE STATES IS : 'I NEED TO PAY MY BILLS' IS A MUST FOR EVERYBODY. NO BOYCOTTING !

I WISH U THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVOURS.

I concur!

I did my undergrad in Naija and planned to go to the US for my doctorate in engineering on one small condition: that I get a full scholarship/fellowship/assistantship. I knew I didn't qualify for any need-based scholarships, didn't have much money in my NYSC account grin, and so my only option was to slug it out to get a merit-based scholarships/graduate-assistantship. I got it! Grad school was easy for me; even bought a car, traveled to Nigeria every other year and sent money home.

Though it's much harder to get full scholarship for undergrad programs, it's easier to get it after the first year, however, it pays if you're demolishing classes. grin

1 Like

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by SEFAGO(m): 4:32am On Nov 01, 2009
Though it's much harder to get full scholarship for undergrad programs, it's easier to get it after the first year, however, it pays if you're demolishing classes.

you would be surprised how easy it is to get undergrad as long as u got iinfo
Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by akigbemaru: 4:58am On Nov 01, 2009
As a student, I have seen all the ups and downs and dos and donts in US. If you are coming on F-1 visa, make sure you do any standardize tests. America is just like Oyingbo market, it doesn’t know if anyone is absent. I would never discourage anyone not to come to USA. It’s all depends on destiny. I have seen many that have been here for two decades and never accomplished their goals, but some just came in and turned out to be forces to reckon with.

When I say “standardize tests” you must do it to a scholarship level and make sure the school gives you total package or full rides; that is if you don’t have well-to-do family. That solves just one of your problems.

America policies change everyday, if you apply for social security card, get it straight that it doesn’t guarantee you a job and rightnow, they tend to do e-verification for employment. If you use fake Shola-Shola they will fish you out right on the spot.

Just pray for God to always have summer internship, because staying with family or friends tends to be Herculean most times.

Since I can’t get a job, what I do most time is helping my classmates to do their works and charging them a few bucks for service rendered.

4 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by princekevo(m): 6:36am On Nov 01, 2009
The fact is almost 80% of Nigerian going to US for study comes from a well to do family, children of Contractors in Nigeria, politicians, and few have families a brother or sister there. So i wonder how they will find is difficult studying over there in US when they got all these allowances you mentioned from their family back home.
Poor man pikin dey think of going abroad to study?

3 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by Nicklee(m): 6:45am On Nov 01, 2009
I'm not sure to what extent my little post will help, but my take is that folks that CAN'T afford the high costs of education in the US should just do undergraduate studies in nigeria and work very hard at it. With a good undergraduate transcript from a decent Nigerian university and a good GRE (or other aptitude test) score,  it is easier to get into graduate school here with full funding. I did it and it has worked very well for me - I am in one of the choicest universities here in the US, (finished an MS and currently doing a PhD). The good side of this is while many of my american friends are still ridden with student loans (some running into 6 figure loans), I got to come to graduate school clean!!!! And to think that I got the same jobs, same pay with them, I am way well off.

This is my little panacea!!! don't start off with so much debt.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by TexMex: 7:36am On Nov 01, 2009
This is an interesting thread, and the lessons ingrained herein should not be lost. I have read a number of the posts, and they are so on point. Like someone said, I will not discourage anybody from coming to the States. Rather, it's our duty as 'pioneers' to provide relevant information to enable anyone who wants to come have the best experience.

SEFAGO says it's easy getting undergrad scholarship, he should kindly provide the necessary step-by-step guide so whoever is interested will follow the guide. I must point out though that scholarship is not for everyone. Same with getting a job on campus (BTW, some schools pay well-above minimum wage). We need to draw inspiration from the Indians (and to an extent CHINESE). I 'm impressed with what the Indians are doing. Not only does their government encourage studies in medical field, IT et al, the private sector also provides information about the schools, ratings and student life. So even before an Indian student steps on campus, he/she knows what to expect. They also routinely share information about available jobs, so it shouldn't surprise you that they are usually employed on and off campus-- they are better organized than we blacks. And please if you have any Chinese friend, and you happen to need a textbook for a course, ask your Chinese friend. He 'd be able to get you the textbook in ebook (or .CHM) format.

And we shouldn't think the Indians and Chinese are loaded with money. They are NOT! Some only got money to buy their flight ticket and pay their first semester bills. But by the sheer power of connections (networking among the Indian community), they were able to live comfortably with a job on campus and/or off it. I will enjoin us to come together and provide this sort of leverage for aspiring Nigerian students. It's about time we start breeding the people we 'd like to man the reformed institutions we want to see emerge in NIGERIA. Otherwise, even if things change in NIGERIA today, we 'd find out we don't have enough personnel to run the emergent institutions.
The sons and daughters of the rich are not the only peeps we have to fly Nigeria's flag in the international space.

10 Likes

Re: The Bitter-truth As An International Student In The Us by TexMex: 8:59am On Nov 01, 2009
I have had to be re-posting my posts thinking I 'm doing something wrong, and finding the MODERATOR (or some other person) has locked the thread thereby making it impossible to make valuable contributions to the discourse. Please if you happen to see multiple (or repeated) posts from me, don't conclude that I 'm TUI (Typing Under the Influence) but it's the website that's messing up big time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

12 Most Loved Cities In Nigeria / List Of Nationalities In The Crashed Ethiopian Airlines Plane / The Head Of Goat That Caused Accident In Anambra Was Cut Off (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.