Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

10 Great Players Who Rejected Barcelona - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 10 Great Players Who Rejected Barcelona (1145 Views)

Lille Places 100M Price Tag On Osimhen. Throw Back To When He Rejected Barcelona / Ighalo: I Rejected Barcelona Because I Didn't Want To Be A Substitute / 5 World-class Managers Who Rejected Top Job At Real Madrid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Great Players Who Rejected Barcelona by djayflex10: 7:44pm On Nov 06, 2016
Barcelona is the club in the world of football that every player dreams to play for. The Catalan giants are one of the biggest and best clubs in the world and it is not often players reject the opportunity to move there.

But you could be surprised to see or to hear world class players who have rejected the opportunity to play for the Barcelona. I think it would be madness.

Now, let’s take a look at 10 world class football players who rejected Barcelona’s offer to join small clubs or Blaugrana’s rivals.

10. Harry Kewell

Former Australia winger Harry Kewell, who was an outstanding forward at Leeds United, challenged himself when he rejected offers from the big clubs of Europe such as Chelsea, Arsenal, both Milan clubs and lastly, Barcelona, to sign for Liverpool in 2003.

9. Ayoze Perez

Newcastle United forward Ayoze Perez was a convincing young player when he was playing for his boyhood club Tenerife.

His incredible talent captured several interests from big European big clubs including two of the world’s biggest clubs, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

However, the young Spaniard rejected a move to his home country and chose the Premier League side Newcastle United to join manager Alan Pardew.

8. Koke

Atletico Madrid's Jorge "Koke" Resurrecion celebrates his goal against Real Madrid during their Spanish first division soccer match in Madrid

During 2013-14 season, Atletico Madrid won the La Liga title where Koke was a magnificent midfielder and contributed a lot in their success.

In the summer of that year, it was little surprise that Barcelona wanted Koke, but the supremely talented midfielder rejected the offer and decide to stay at Vicente Calderón Stadium.

Speaking to AS in August 2014, Koke said: ”The truth is that part of me said it was difficult to say no to Barca but I wanted to continue at home for many years at Atletico. It wasn’t time to leave. This is my home, where I feel wanted and the club didn’t want to sell. How was I going to leave at the best time for Atletico? It is not easy to say no to Barca and their interest was appreciated. It means the work I’ve done has paid off. But I’m at home here.”

7.David Luiz

In 2013 when David Luiz was at the end of his first spell at Chelsea, Barcelona were interested in Brazilian defender and tried him twice, but Luiz resisted a move to the Catalan capital saying PSG was the only destination in his eye and turned down a ‘special offer’ from the Spanish giants.

Speaking to AS in September 2014 during his spell with the Ligue 1 giants, Luiz said: “It’s true they (Barca) tried to tempt me a couple of times and everything looked good. But eventually I realised the team that really wanted me was PSG.”

6. Rio Ferdinand

Rio Ferdinand was one of the finest defenders in the business while his time at Manchester United and his partnership with Nemanja Vidic was considered one of the best in the history.

During his peak years when the former England international played in a rich vein of form, the likes of Roma, Real Madrid and Barcelona, came calling for him.

Speaking to reporters, Ferdinand said: “I spoke to Roma and also there was interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona at one time. But when I was at Manchester United and there was interest from other clubs I was winning things at Manchester United. So my head was never turned to go anywhere else.

“If Gareth Bale had been at Manchester United and winning trophies he wouldnt have gone to Real Madrid. I was just turned on by winning. I wasn’t interested in going anywhere else.”

5. Alessandro Del Piero

Juventus legend Alessandro del Piero plied the 19 years of his professional for the Turin outfit, making over 700 appearances and notching up 290 goals during the process.

Alessandro del Piero was one of the biggest stars in the professional circuit during his prime years, and inevitably, clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona sounded their interests in him.

However the Juventus legend decided to commit his 19 years of his professional at Old Lady.

Speaking to Tuttomercatoweb, Del Piero’s agent Claudio Pasqualin said: “Del Piero is Juventus. During the prime of his career, he rejected Manchester United and Barcelona. He did that for love.”

4. Thiago Silva

The Brazilian is one of the best centre-backs in the world of football and till now everyone could wish him to play in his team.

Silva said no to Barcelona not once but twice. He was wanted when he was at AC Milan and at PSG, but himself honestly admitted that he rejected Barcelona for the opportunity of making more money at Paris.

”It was a difficult decision to say no twice to Barcelona, Silva said. “It was never a secret that I have admired them since I was a kid and that I always wished I could play for Barcelona. But life is made of hard decisions that sometimes go against what you dream of.

“I heard people saying I was just thinking of the money, but they forget we have families to feed. Why would I accept to earn less money to play for Barcelona? Why are players the ones supposed to sacrifice themselves Besides, PSG offered me also an opportunity for a new challenge and the club are trailing the right path.”

Full list: http://www.istylmagazine.com/news/sports/10-great-players-who-rejected-barcelona/

(1) (Reply)

Mikel Joins Chinese Club To Become Richest Player In Nigeria / Chelsea Bought The Premier League Title - Totteham Manager Mauricio Pochettino / How Manchester United Could Lineup Next Season With Five New Signings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.