Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation (767 Views)

Protest In Lagos Against Muiz Banire (Photos) / EFCC Grills Muiz Banire, As Iyiola Omisore Returns N350million / Muiz Banire Paid N500,000 To A Judge - EFCC Agent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by kinqlover21(m): 12:50pm On Nov 08, 2016
Dr Muiz Adeyemi Banire (SAN) has stepped down as the National Legal Adviser of the All Progressives Congress (APC) following an allegation that he bribed a judge with N500,000.
In a letter to the APC Chairman, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun , on Monday, November 7, Banire said he decided to step down on moral grounds until the investigation into the allegation is concluded.
The senior lawyer also wrote to the Attorney-General of the Federation Abubakar Malami (SAN) about his decision to quit his membership of the Electoral Reform Committee.
Banire’s letter is entitled: ‘Offer to Step Aside as National Legal Adviser Pending Conclusion of Investigation of My Person by the EFCC.’
He copied President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN).
Banire said he read an online publication on October 29 alleging that he offered a federal judge N500,000 bribe.
According to him, he voluntarily reported himself to the EFCC to help clarify the issues.
The letter reads:
“The allegation, as I have come to understand it, is that a Statement of Account of one judge of the National Industrial Court, the Honourable Justice J. T.
Agbadu-Fishim, who is the subject of an ongoing EFCC’s investigation, contained a June 2013 entry of a ‘N500,000.00’ payment ascribed as being from one ‘Dr. Muiz B’.
“I did not hesitate in confirming that this probably referred to me because I remember that about three years ago, I received a text message from someone I recollected at the time to be an old colleague in my days as a lecturer at the University of Lagos, an ‘Agbadu-Fishim’ who was then a Research Fellow at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, informing me of the death and funeral programme of his mother.
“The last contact (of any sort) I had with this person before that text would have been about 14 years earlier, that is, before I was appointed Special Adviser to the Governor of Lagos State at the inception of civil rule in 1999 (now 17 years ago).
“Indeed, it was with considerable difficulty that I was able to eventually recognise his face when I eventually saw him again (after 17 years of my leaving the University of Lagos) on my attendance at the EFCC on Thursday the 3rd day of November, 2016.

“When I received the said message and his information to me of the death and funeral programme of his mother in which he solicited for financial assistance in a tone suggesting great distress, I considered it necessary to assist an old friend in dire need.
“Without any further prompting, he sent his account details to me and I made a cash gift of N500,000.00 to him.”
He said while he personally never appeared before the judge, two cases worth less than N2million in legal fees were handled by lawyers in his chambers.
Banire added: “As I have now come to realise after my interactions with the EFCC, that payment is being investigated from the angle of whether or not it was to influence the receiver in the performance of his judicial duties on the Bench of the National Industrial Court.
“This is perfectly understandable to me within the general context of the investigation in which the allegation had arisen, and considering that I have lately come to also realise that two of my colleagues in chambers had been involved as defence counsel in two cases before the subject judge amongst 12 cases in all they have ever done at the Industrial Court since inception.
“My review of the two case files which I came to be conscious of after my interactions with the EFCC shows that one of them was amicably settled between the parties for a sum less than N1.2m, thereby technically losing the case, whilst they won the other and that the combined professional fees (net of taxes) for the two cases was less than N2m.
“While protesting my innocence, and will therefore do everything within legal limits to defend myself, I have, from the first instance, become aware of the allegation, offered my full cooperation to the EFCC and will continue to cooperate with, and give it all the assistance it may require of me in the course of its ongoing investigation into the matter.”

Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by wwwkaycom(m): 12:55pm On Nov 08, 2016
This is how things should be done

1 Like

Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by Ratello: 1:05pm On Nov 08, 2016
Trust me Muiz is using this excuse to quit APC for good (being a Tinubu loyalist) at the moment, CPC wing of APC had hijacked the party and I am loving this. Tinubu I can tell that he is no longer in the mainstream of APC machinery and may likely rejuvenate his defunct AD or probably vote a new party definitely, the roforofo fight within the party will sink APC sooner than anyone ever imagine.
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
Ratello:
Trust me Muiz is using this excuse to quit APC for good (being a Tinubu loyalist) at the moment, CPC wing of APC had hijacked the party and I am loving this. Tinubu I can tell that he is no longer in the mainstream of APC machinery and may likely rejuvenate his defunct AD or probably vote a new party definitely, the roforofo fight within the party will sink APC sooner than anyone ever imagine.
no banire has join the cabal gang same with fashola
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by comos: 1:19pm On Nov 08, 2016
nonsense

untill Amechi and fashola face tribunal,

APC is living in deceit
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by shaddoww: 2:35pm On Nov 08, 2016
Dis him excuse get as e be oooo, someone who isn't ur friend n u av not seen in 14years just sent u a text of d death of his mother whom u av never met n u just send am 500k like dat without even seein him but cos he sounded distressed. Na jail u suppose die put.
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by DIKEnaWAR: 2:52pm On Nov 08, 2016
Ratello:

Hmmm. ..but whether he is resigning to align with Tinubu or not, this train is fast moving to the permanent site without them.

Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by fyneguy: 3:13pm On Nov 08, 2016
Something does not add up.
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by kings09(m): 3:15pm On Nov 08, 2016
Hope he z arrested too for bribing a judge or is it not corruption? Mr integrity pls act in fairness
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by kings09(m): 3:20pm On Nov 08, 2016
He shld be arrested too
wwwkaycom:
This is how things should be done
Re: Muiz Banire APC Legal Adviser Steps Down Over Bribery Allegation by feedthenation(m): 6:37pm On Nov 08, 2016
At least he is doing the right thing until the allegation has been judged.

This is what anyone who is alleged to have an offence should do.

(1) (Reply)

Why Senate Suspended Bills On Grazing reserve - Ekweremadu / We Serving God, Yet Sufferness Deepens In Nigeria - Pastor Revelation / Graphic Photos: Loaded Coca-cola Crushed Young Man To Death, Youth Set It On Fir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.