Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,370 members, 7,815,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? (4657 Views)

Poll: Are We?

Yes: 30% (11 votes)
No: 69% (25 votes)
This poll has ended

Trying Times For Nigeria, Patriotic Citizens' Attitude And Responsibility / TY Danjuma: Nigeria Lacks Patriotic Leaders / Do We Nigerians Really Live In Less Than One Dollar Par Day ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by kuraking(m): 5:29am On Nov 02, 2009
naija for life, I present my country anytime anywhere
PROUDLY A NIGERIAN, I CAN DIE FOR MY COUNTRY
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by princekevo(m): 11:19am On Nov 02, 2009
Most Nigerian are patriotic by telling ourselve the truth. Speaking against what seems to be wrong and giving praises where neccessary. But many thinks speaking good of Nigeria even when is walking blindly into a pit is being patriotic.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nezan(m): 11:43am On Nov 02, 2009
I think it is only football that unites Nigerians.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by kehindebad(m): 1:57pm On Nov 02, 2009
Yes most nigerians are patriotic , when we're winning (football)
we only just complain a lot
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by vikiviko(m): 3:34pm On Nov 02, 2009
How do you measure Paatrotism ?

I think the worst set of unpatriotic Nigerians are the "runaway" Nigerians living abroad who have never visited Nigeria in the last ten years and all they do is castigate, criticize and blame government.

They are scared to return or visit home because they have no base so all they do is pull the system dowm .

Of course there are great Nigerians abroad
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by otukpo(f): 4:24pm On Nov 02, 2009
NO
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by djayxpro: 7:03pm On Nov 04, 2009
naija-ians---- the patriotism comes depending on situation. but sha it depends on what you define as patriotism? if it means willing to defend your country, i can say yes! it is only a foolish man that will watch a foreigner speak ill of his country and support such a person. though i can say most of us wont be willing to die for our country! who can?
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 11, 2010
what kind of citizens pray for the death of their president.d u m mies i guessed?
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by chidichris(m): 8:09pm On Jan 11, 2010
of course we are the most patrotic people in the world.
if not for patrotism, why world pdp be taking all of us for a ride yet we are not pushing for war?
if not for patrotism, why will a single idiot who sleeps with his son's wife impose a sick man on us yet we kept quiet?
yes we are patrotic to a fault. in our patrotism, we are allowing a missing and mentally challanged man to remain our president.
in fact, another name for nigeria is patrotism.
did u see jubrtil aminu even concerned abt usa policy on middle east - over patrotism. have u seen a young nigerian ready to die for others in a suicide bambing attempt? over patrotism.
are u aware that most of us have decided in our patrotic abilities to allow yar adua even in death to go for second and third term as president of nigeria.
nigeria's second name is patrotism.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Ikengawo: 8:54pm On Jan 27, 2011
Nigerians are just extreme.

they're extremely patriotic if Nigeria is attacked by non Nigerians, and extremely unpatriotic when talking to other Nigerians about Nigeria.

i also agree Nigerians like Nigeria but hate Nigerians
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Dede1(m): 10:35pm On Jan 27, 2011
It is an endeavor bordering on rascality to query Nigerians about patriotism on a country that was unpatriotically conceived
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 28, 2011
Redman44:

NO, Nigerians are not patriots and many of them don't believe in the manifest destiny of the country. Nigeria is currently about 250 nations occupying a common geographical space. The different tribes are at each other's throats sad sad, and that is why when a leader comes from a particular tribe, he brings his people in and gives them juicy positions angry angry.  How can Nigerians be patriotic when the state has done absolutely nothing for them!! I can't remember anything that I've enjoyed as a Nigerian  cry as compared to what my counterparts in Europe and America are enjoying. There are no Government initiated social schemes that will make life easier for Nigerians. Moving around Nigeria, you can hardly see well equipped Public Libraries, solid sports centres and parks, functional public toilets, information centres etc. The Nigerian Government does not even have a solid health scheme for the people sad sad There is no accurate information on the Nigerian population which will help the government to plan well for the people. The Nigerian Passport has been bastardised and History as a subject is dying in our schools  cry cry So how can Nigerians be patriotic? What pains me most is that we do not have many Nigerian youths who are willing to stand up and use their intellect to grab the bull by the horns and effect changes in their local communities. Nigerians will follow a youth who can create opportunities out of nothing for people in his or her community. Patriotism starts from inspiring people in your community by doing something positive for them. Cheers.

Nigerians have no right to expect heaven from their government when the government does not derive its legitimacy and financing from the people.
We know we are in trouble as a nation when the government can operate without needing our tax money. Why do you all oil rich Middle Eastern nations are mostly tyrannies? The day our government cannot survive without our taxes is the day they will become accountable to us.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by dempeople(m): 1:08am On Jan 28, 2011
[size=35pt]I hate Nigeria and will always hate it.[/size]

[size=3pt]But can't help it. Its my gatdamn country. sad[/size]
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by jason123: 1:13am On Jan 28, 2011
dem_people:

I hate Nigeria and will always hate it.

[size=32pt]We hate you and will always do! grin wink [/size]
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by dempeople(m): 1:14am On Jan 28, 2011
jason123:

[size=32pt]We hate you and will always do! grin wink [/size]

Ummmmm. . . . . you humoristic cow

grin grin grin tongue cool
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by archive(f): 3:12am On Jan 28, 2011
Not at all
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by tpia5: 12:16pm On Jun 12, 2013
Promoting patriotism and ignoring the need to promote tolerance, hasnt really worked in this country.

There are so many govt programs and implementations which were designed to encourage nigerians to be patriotic, not sure they've improved the country so far, the level of intolerance nigerians have for themselves remains one of the highest for any nationality.

I think tolerance is far more more important than patriotism, at this point in time.

And no, intermarriage does not and has not increased patriotism or tolerance in nigeria. It might increase you personally, nothing to do with nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Really Patriotic? by tpia5: 2:53pm On Jun 12, 2013
In short, in the issue of patriotism versus tolerance, tolerance is what needs to be taught nigerians.

If they cant tolerate each other then patriotism is an unattainable goal, no matter how many schools, youth service programs, or funds are invested in promoting it.

A situation where the myriads of cult members are taught to recognize only themselves and view people outside their group, as undesirable outsiders to be eliminated by any means possible, is more at home in nazi germany, where such doctrines are inculcated into youngsters right from their pre-university years.

Starting from the ATR proponents, to the christian and muslim groups, open discourse is needed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mrs Diezani Allison-madueke Demands Secret Meeting With Senators Over Pib / Man Got Crushed By Train At Oshodi / Fuel Now N110 Per-Litre In Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.