Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,994 members, 7,863,567 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:18 PM

The Pressure To Be Dishonest - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Pressure To Be Dishonest (268 Views)

SMART WATCH Blood Pressure Heart Rate Monitor Fitness Sport Watch / Report! CBN Under Pressure To Order Banks To Stop ATM Charges / Customs Is Dishonest About N486bn Revenue - Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Pressure To Be Dishonest by sewed4u(m): 1:41pm On Nov 10, 2016
“Honesty in business is a relic of the past, and those who try to practice it are doomed to failure.”

DO YOU agree with that grim assessment? Admittedly, dishonesty often brings rewards—at least in the short term. As a result, those who try to be honest are subjected to intense pressure in the following areas.
Personal Temptation. Who would not enjoy having more money or some additional luxuries? When presented with an opportunity for dishonest financial gain, it can be hard to resist.

● “I award contracts on behalf of my company. Offers of bribes are common. The lure of easy money is a strong one.”—Franz, Middle East.

Pressure to Maximize Profits. In recent years, businesses worldwide have struggled with poor economic conditions. They must also cope with rapidly changing technology and increased regional and global competition. Employees may feel that resorting to dishonesty is the only way to meet performance goals set by owners and managers.

● “We thought we had to do it. . . . Otherwise, we’d ruin the company.”—Reinhard Siekaczek, arrested for bribery.—The New York Times.

Pressure From Others. Coworkers or customers may at times suggest, or even demand, that you join them in dishonest schemes.

● “A manager of a major client approached me and said that I would lose his business if I didn’t pay him his ‘share of the business’—essentially, a kickback.”—Johan, South Africa.

Culture. In some cultures, it is customary for business transactions to be accompanied by an exchange of gifts. Depending on the size and circumstances of the gift, the boundaries of honest business practices can easily become blurred. In many lands, corrupt officials demand money before performing their duties and willingly accept payment in exchange for special treatment.

● “It is always a challenge to distinguish a tip from a bribe.”—William, Colombia.
Environment. Those who live in severe poverty or in countries where there has been a breakdown in civil order face the greatest pressure of all. In such environments, those who are unwilling to cheat or steal may be viewed as poor providers for their families.

● “Dishonesty is considered normal, necessary, and acceptable as long as you’re not caught.”—Tomasi, Congo Kinshasa.

How Honesty Breaks Down, more info @ http://aboutlifeng..com

(1) (Reply)

Electronical Reques / Large Quantity Smoking/drying In Abuja. / How to Identify Your Audience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.