Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,997 members, 7,821,481 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election (637 Views)

Cyril Rama Re-Elected As South African President, Win With Absolute Majority / Julius Maada Bio,elected As Sierra Leone President / Trump Casts Vote In Historic US Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election by Badtman(m): 2:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ilhan Omar, 34, has made history by becoming the first Somali legislator in the United States. A former refugee, the Somali-born activist has been elected to serve as an MP in the US state of Minnesota. The Muslim Somali-American woman becomes the highest-ranking Somali elected to office in the US.
Her election comes just days after US President-elect Donald Trump accused Somali immigrants in Minnesota of “spreading their extremist views” .
Minnesota has the nation’s largest Somali community – about 50,000 according to the US census.
Celebrating her victory, Ms Omar said she would be the “voice for the marginalised” in the state parliament.
“I think I bring the voice of young people. I think I bring the voice of women in the East African community. I bring the voice of Muslims. I bring the voice of young mothers looking for opportunities,” Minnesota Public Radio quoted her as saying .
Ms Omar escaped from Somalia with her family at the start of the civil war when she was eight years old.
They lived in a Kenyan refugee camp for four years, before moving to the US and settling in a Somali-American neighbourhood in Minnesota.

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37925048

Lalasticlala MYNDD44 Mukina2

1 Like

Re: First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election by Nobody: 2:23pm On Nov 10, 2016
Trump is a real trumpeter that is trumpeting his victory allover the world. grin
Re: First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2016
Congrats to the beauty

Re: First Ever Muslim Somali-american Woman Elected As MP In Historic US Election by Badtman(m): 2:25pm On Nov 10, 2016
crazysaint:
Trump is a real trumpeter that is trumpeting his victory allover the world. grin
easy Bro ur speed is tumuch

Namadi Kanu and IPOB yoot wont happy with dis O grin BiafraudExposed, Omenka, Antipop OmidinaOlayemi Mardidguy cc

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Hillary Clinton Actually Said About The Bible / Breaking News: Ghana Election Commission Website Hacked - BBC / Obama Wanna Cause World War Before Leaving Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.