Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking (1382 Views)

23 Nigerians To Be Executed In Saudi Arabia (Names, Full List) / Zhao Zhiyong Executed For Raping 25 Underage School Girls In China / Photo Of Nigerian Deathrow Convict, Chijioke, Who Will Be Executed This Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Philtrik(m): 8:18pm On Nov 10, 2016
The family of Chijioke Obioha, a Nigerian national convicted of and given the mandatory death sentence for possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking on December 30, 2008, have been informed that November 18 is Chijoke’s new execution date.

On April 9, 2007, Mr. Obtinha was found in possession of more than 2.6 kilograms of cannabis, surpassing the statutory amount of 500 grams that under Singapore law triggers the automatic presumption of trafficking.

Also in his possession were keys to a room containing additional prohibited substances, leading the authorities to presume him guilty of possession and knowledge of the drugs.

Mr. Obioha’s appeal against his conviction and sentence was rejected in August 2010. Maintaining his innocence of the crime, he initially refused to make use of his right to resentencing which amendments to Singapore mandatory’s death penalty laws made in 2013 allowed for.

In Singapore, when there is a presumption of drug possession and trafficking, the burden of proof shifts to the defendant.
This is a violation of fair trial rights, specifically the
presumption of innocence.
After the rejection of his clemency appeal in April 2015,
his execution was set for May 15, 2015. It was stayed a day earlier to allow him apply for resentencing. His family were only informed on October 25, 2016 that he had resolved to withdraw his application for resentencing earlier in the year, following legal advice that he would not qualify as “courier" under the amended laws.
Consequently, the Court of Appeal lifted the stay of execution with effect from October 24, resulting in the execution date to be set for November 18.

Mr. Obioha appealed once again for
clemency for the President, who has the
power to commute his death sentence.
“Chijioke Stephen Obioha graduated in Industrial Chemistry from Benin University
in Nigeria. He moved to Singapore in 2005,
seeking to join a football club. His family
members, who currently live in Nigeria and
the United Kingdom, have been unable to
travel to visit and had limited ability to
assist him. Throughout the duration of the
proceedings, they have received sporadic
and often delayed updates, including when
a legal representative was removed from
the case,” Amnesty International stated.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/215022-nigerian-executed-drug-trafficking.html
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by AGUBANZE(m): 8:19pm On Nov 10, 2016
Am seeing the NCA of Nigeria lurking around this thread like the way opposite sides of magnet attract.

Ndi Afonjo ga ata anu anyi na-ndu n'abania grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Philtrik(m): 8:20pm On Nov 10, 2016
Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by EHMIR(m): 8:26pm On Nov 10, 2016
Chijioke obioha

NCA,burkina faso.

Abeg who use drug smuggling swear for flaties,we need to appease that person,cos its becoming embarrasing

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by littlewonders: 8:28pm On Nov 10, 2016
Can't these guys be use as volunteer for research programs rather than executing them.
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by sekundosekundo: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2016
Hmm

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by spinna: 8:37pm On Nov 10, 2016
haba for weed? Please let's pray for this young man .
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by opethom(m): 8:45pm On Nov 10, 2016
Nigerian or Bifran?? I'm not understanding
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by ableguy(m): 8:55pm On Nov 10, 2016
grin

NCAN Members viewing this thread now

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by sekundosekundo: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
EHMIR:
Chijioke obioha

NCA,burkina faso.

Abeg who use drug smuggling swear for flaties,we need to appease that person,cos its becoming embarrasing

Na one Senator teach dem

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Amoto94(m): 9:51pm On Nov 10, 2016
Something urgent must be done to stop this recurring trend. Sukkot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Jerrypolo(m): 10:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
All I see is "the family of Chijioke Obioha"
NCAN over to u guys

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Pilate2016(m): 11:58pm On Nov 10, 2016
Rip bro. It pains me a lot that this trend will continue and the great AFONJAS will keep mocking us. But it's better than Ritual they are known for. Adieu in advance.
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Pilate2016(m): 11:59pm On Nov 10, 2016
AGUBANZE:
Am seeing the NCA of Nigeria lurking around this thread like the way opposite sides of magnet attract.

Ndi Afonjo ga ata anu anyi na-ndu n'abania grin
They have started reporting forgetting that they Control Ritualism and other evil acts.
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by gwmlogistic: 12:04am On Nov 11, 2016
In recent times when I see threads like this I just pray and hope it's my afonja brother and lets see how NCA would react but not all this Igbos stealing the spot lights.
Drug Republic
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by sukkot: 2:37am On Nov 11, 2016
Amoto94:
Something urgent must be done to stop this recurring trend. Sukkot
lolz bro i hope you know i have nothing against my igbo brothers lolzzz. i just troll threads when they reach frontpage. as this one is not on frontpage yet no need to troll my brothers from the east. wink wink
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by kasheemawo(m): 4:55am On Nov 11, 2016
Trump won't allow him to be killed cheesy cheesy cheesy
NCAN reporting from anabura angry
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Yinkatolu: 5:39am On Nov 11, 2016
I wish people not minding the tribe can desist from this act.
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by OJUcrook: 6:45am On Nov 11, 2016
Chijioke Stephen Obioha. I could bet with my lst penny that would be an ipod yoot. Ipod yoot and drug trafficking be like prick and toto, ipod yoot and drug trafficking be like

Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by winj: 10:07am On Nov 11, 2016
you mean biafran
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by Amoto94(m): 12:09pm On Nov 11, 2016
sukkot:
lolz bro i hope you know i have nothing against my igbo brothers lolzzz. i just troll threads when they reach frontpage. as this one is not on frontpage yet no need to troll my brothers from the east. wink wink
I know you don't and most people here don't hate them but we must hate the crime and call on well meaning Nigerians to do same as well
Re: Nigerian To Be Executed For Drug Trafficking by sukkot: 1:12pm On Nov 11, 2016
Amoto94:
I know you don't and most people here don't hate them but we must hate the crime and call on well meaning Nigerians to do same as well
true indeed my kind Sir, true indeed

(1) (Reply)

Teacher Impregnate By Student Get 10yrs In Jail / Female Armed Robber Reportedly Arrested In Lagos With Gun Hidden In Between Br3a / The Dapchi Girls: Leah Sharibu The Virgin Who Will Finally Destroy Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.