Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page (1079 Views)

Which Igbo Group In Particular Colonized The Ikwerres? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Eastactivist: 9:47pm On Nov 10, 2016
[b]Seun, on a disturbing note I want to draw your attention on a particular controversial thread that made front page which has the following details.

Thread title: The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria
Time uploaded : 9:33am On Nov 09
Created and published by : ovokoo at By Ovoko.com.ng website
Nairaland link: https://www.nairaland.com/3455209/5-most-powerful-traditional-rulers

I think you should take down this thread with the fact that no traditional ruler is powerful in Nigeria but in some section of the country where his influence lies.

My reasons.
1. A traditional ruler suppose to be a ruler responsible to handle the affairs of a particular group of people (mainly ethnicity) bounded with the same tradition or cultural belief.

Now we have different traditions and cultures of different ethnicities in Nigeria and a traditional ruler of any ethnicity can not exercise his right outside his territory which he influences.

2. If we go by powerful with criteria of popularity and wealth, I think a traditional ruler cannot bypass his region and have influence in another region. He can only by being popular, by history and amount of wealth be the most powerful of that particular region.

An emir in kano cannot leave his state or region and dictate for a community in calabar no matter how highly placed and vice versa.
With this fact how then can you now tell a Nigerian who has no link or relationship or tradition or culture that so so person is the most powerful tradition ruler while the so called person has no influence on him or her except from his or her direct traditional ruler in his village ..

I there by reiterate that This thread is an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerians, please how can you impose a ruler on a people without asking for their opinion? this is uncalled for and barbaric, this mistake can only achieve only one thing which is to induce more ethnic tensions in our polity and cause avoidable ethnic psychological anomaly. I therefore call on you in your wisdom to use your office to do justice to this thread and justice for Nigerians.

Let us in our doings respect the diversity of Nigeria only then can we understand and cooperate better.

Thanks, from an honest forum member [/b]
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Ovokoo: 10:01pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:

[b]Seun, on a disturbing note I want to draw your attention on a particular controversial thread that made front page which has the following details.

Nairaland link: https://www.nairaland.com/3455209/5-most-powerful-traditional-rulers

I think you should take down this thread with the fact that no traditional ruler is powerful in Nigeria but in some section of the country where his influence lies.

My reasons.
1. A traditional ruler suppose to be a ruler responsible to handle the affairs of a particular group of people (mainly ethnicity) bounded with the same tradition or cultural belief.

Now we have different traditions and cultures of different ethnicities in Nigeria and a traditional ruler of any ethnicity can not exercise his right outside his territory which he influences.

2. If we go by powerful with criteria of popularity and wealth, I think a traditional ruler cannot bypass his region and have influence in another region. He can only by being popular, by history and amount of wealth be the most powerful of that particular region.

An emir in kano cannot leave his state or region and dictate for a community in calabar no matter how highly placed and vice versa.
With this fact how then can you now tell a Nigerian who has no link or relationship or tradition or culture that so so person is the most powerful tradition ruler while the so called person has no influence on him or her except from his or her direct traditional ruler in his village ..

I there by reiterate that This thread is an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerians, please how can you impose a ruler on a people without asking for their opinion? this is uncalled for and barbaric, this mistake can only achieve only one thing which is to induce more ethnic tensions in our polity and cause avoidable ethnic psychological anomaly. I therefore call on you in your wisdom to use your office to do justice to this thread and justice for Nigerians.

Let us in our doings respect the diversity of Nigeria only then can we understand and cooperate better.

I respect your view, and you have to learn to respect those of others. This thread was not necessarily meant to posit which traditional ruler wields power throughout the country as every Emir, Oba or Obi are highly respected in their own domain. This thread is meant to state those that there influence travels far especially those that are respected at the national level. For instance, according to the Yoruba oral tradition, the Alaafin of Oyo is supposed to be more powerful than the Ooni (someone should correct me if i'm wrong), but the Ooni wields more political influence than him. Some traditional rulers just have that much power in the present dispensation. You can't for example tell me that the Obi of Onitsha, the Olu of Warri or the Ahaba of Asaba wields more influence than those stated on the list.
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by amuijiji: 10:23pm On Nov 10, 2016
All those useless heads that adds no value to our economy.

Why I like my igbo people, ur money/power nah for ur pocket...
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Eastactivist: 10:25pm On Nov 10, 2016
Ovokoo:

I respect your view, and you have to learn to respect those of others. This thread was not necessarily meant to posit which traditional ruler wields power throughout the country as every Emir, Oba or Obi are highly respected in their own domain. This thread is meant to state those that there influence travels far especially those that are respected at the national level. For instance, according to the Yoruba oral tradition, the Alaafin of Oyo is supposed to be more powerful than the Ooni (someone should correct me if i'm wrong), but the Ooni wields more political influence than him. Some traditional rulers just have that much power in the present dispensation. You can't for example tell me that the Obi of Onitsha, the Olu of Warri or the Ahaba of Asaba wields more influence than those stated on the list.

[b]I duly respect your view, but when your view threatens others, you don't expect them to fold their hands... Will you?
How does those people you mentioned use their powers to influence other ethnicity that they do not come from. Let's say igbos.

And also hope you know that igbos have an ancestral home and a king is also there who is by right and by fact commands more respect and influence than obi of Onitsha, the Ahaba of asaba And other traditional rulers in Igboland, with the fact that these ones are under his wings as far as igbo land is concerned.

When the isrealie scholars came to inquire facts about igbo Jewish ancestry they visited and inquired from eze nri. I think you should just do more researches when it comes to things like this instead of mere speculation else you will induce ethnic tension in the policy like you've just done and that's all.

And please respect our diversities, especially when it involves ethnicity. In this case there is no powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria and no traditional ruler in regions is higher in rank. Traditional Rulers are not agencies or civil service or force where such things exists.

[/b]
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Ovokoo: 10:36pm On Nov 10, 2016
Eastactivist:

[b]I duly respect your view, but when your view threatens others, you don't expect them to fold their hands... Will you?
How does those people you mentioned use their powers to influence other ethnicity that they do not come from. Let's say igbos.

And also hope you know that igbos have an ancestral home and a king is also there who is by right and by fact commands more respect and influence than obi of Onitsha, the Ahaba of asaba And other traditional rulers in Igboland, with the fact that these ones are under his wings as far as igbo land is concerned.

When the isrealie scholars came to inquire facts about igbo Jewish ancestry they visited and inquired from eze nri. I think you should just do more researches when it comes to things like this instead of mere speculation else you will induce ethnic tension in the policy like you've just done and that's all.

And please respect our diversities, especially when it involves ethnicity. In this case there is no powerful traditional rulers in Nigeria and no traditional ruler in regions is higher in rank. Traditional Rulers are not agencies or civil service or force where such things exists.

[/b]

Like i said, it's just an opinion which needs to be respected.

if anything, i think we will need you help for future ranking as it pertains to traditional rulers. We will be compiling a list of the top 20 traditional rulers in Nigeria as well as the most powerful and influential traditional rulers in Igboland. as well as those of the Yoruba and North. We request that you help us with list for the traditional rulers in Igboland as we will juxtapose it with other lists that we will receive in order to give a more factual list. As much as we try to get closer to the truth, no list can be perfect.

You can send your mail to info@ovoko.com.ng or send us a PM.
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Judeoxide(m): 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2016
Point noted....
But una over take the matter serious..
Welcome to my country were every thing must be divided into three..
Hausa--zombie
Yoruba--afonja
Igbo--ipod abi ipad....
SMH for una ohhh....

I still dey work on how to build space sheep... cool cool
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Eastactivist: 10:28am On Nov 11, 2016
Ovokoo:

Like i said, it's just an opinion which needs to be respected.

if anything, i think we will need you help for future ranking as it pertains to traditional rulers. We will be compiling a list of the top 20 traditional rulers in Nigeria as well as the most powerful and influential traditional rulers in Igboland. as well as those of the Yoruba and North. We request that you help us with list for the traditional rulers in Igboland as we will juxtapose it with other lists that we will receive in order to give a more factual list. As much as we try to get closer to the truth, no list can be perfect.

You can send your mail to info@ovoko.com.ng or send us a PM.

No problem I will see what I can do, but when ranking them rank them according to their region or ethnicity... Because inter-ranking them is never feasible and doesn't exist... That's if you get what I mean.
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by ImperialYoruba: 3:25am On Nov 12, 2016
There is an interview somewhere online given by Alaafin.

In a meeting of traditional rulers hosted by Abacha in Aso Rock, he said sitting was arranged by rank. Alaafin said in the first row of chairs in front are the first tier Kings. This is where he sat.

This gives insight into the fact that there is no first, second or third most important or King of Kings...but rather a tier!

It would be correct to rank Kings by tier, but not by nominal value defined by power.

I support OP. The author of that article on front page should be made to take it down and modify it correctly using a tier-system, which would be appropriate considering cultural partitions and domains, otherwise the whole thread should be deleted.
Re: A Distress Call To Seun Concerning A Particular Thread On Front Page by Greatzeus(m): 7:23am On Nov 13, 2016
Eastactivist:

My reasons.

Why should the post be pulled from frontpage? It differs from your own view right? Then write your own version,that's the beauty of this forum,say anything you have in your mind,spread and share knowledge.
Besides,you could have made this point on the thread,you don't need to open a useless thread again,you don't even need to open the thread in the first place. I saw that thread but I never opened it,why? I detest myopic thread that breeds tribal or regional sentiments, but I still recognized the right of the posters to write about anything they want.
So be selective when opening threads next time and save your self,all this headache. Only tribal bigots clamour to pull down threads that doesn't swing toward their myopic tribal and cultural views. Be a man and learn to respect other people's view.

(1) (Reply)

How Can This Present Generation Retrieve This Priceless "Ife Brass Head" / 2018 Osun Osogbo Festival In Picture / The Real Reason Nigerians Call Black Americans "Akata"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.