Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement (1923 Views)

Signs Of A Bad Catalytic Converter / 4 Typical Signals Of A Faulty Catalytic Converter / Catalytic Converter And Fuel Consumption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 5:39am On Nov 11, 2016
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by Jazzlite: 5:48am On Nov 11, 2016
well that prob will always reoccur unless you can construct pipes.... kingreign..... to replace the cat-converter.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kingreign(m): 6:03am On Nov 11, 2016
Jazzlite:
well that prob will always reoccur unless you can construct pipes.... kingreign..... to replace the cat-converter.
If cats are bad, the best practice I'd recommend is to replace it with good. No more no less.

@Kaymode, where's your location and what type of engine is your Nissan apathy using?
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 6:39am On Nov 11, 2016
kingreign:

If cats are bad, the best practice I'd recommend is to replace it with good. No more no less.

@Kaymode, where's your location and what type of engine is your lNissan apathy using?

Thank you Kingreign, I stay in Ojodu berger. The truck is a V6 4.0 litre engine.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kingreign(m): 6:40am On Nov 11, 2016
kaymode:

Thank you Kingreign, I stay in Ojodu berger. The truck is a V6 4.0 litre engine.
Contact any reputable auto technician in Lagos. (Gazzuzz comes to mind)
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 6:42am On Nov 11, 2016
kingreign:

Thanks. Already contacted him as his work shop is not far from where I stay. Unfortunately he mentioned he doesn't work on Nissan vehicles.

Any idea where I could get good cats?

1 Like

Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by mayor2013: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
kaymode:

Thanks. Already contacted him as his work shop is not far from where I stay. Unfortunately he mentioned he doesn't work on Nissan vehicles.

Any idea where I could get good cats?

Call multi autolab on 08156087872 or 08165520837 to get a solution
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:38am On Nov 11, 2016
kaymode:
Hello GURUS in the house, I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 SUV. No major issues, drives just fine but I recently started noticing some noise from the exhaust with a high fuel consumption. 'Service Engine Soon' light came on recently and upon scanning it gave the following fault codes; P0420, P0430.

Please can anyone recommend me to a RELIABLE Nissan Technician who can check or replace the faulty cats? And possibly where I can get reliable dealers for the cats so I don't buy something that will pack up after installation.

Some months ago I got a recommendation from nairaland from someone who said he owned an auto shop only to find out I was referred to a mechanic. I went there just for an engine scan and oil/filter change but noticed the next day that the engine started leaking oil from the filter area. Still leaks oil till today. He only scanned and gave me the codes with no recommendation on what the problems were or how to fix them.

I welcome any suggestions on sorting the oil leak from the filter connection area too.

Thank You!

engine is over 700k fix that oil leak.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 8:37am On Nov 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Thanks Sir. Was looking forward to a suggestion on what nay be causing this leak. Called you but you mentioned you don't fix nissan. Your suggestions are highly welcomed on how to sort this out Sir
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by Jazzlite: 12:42pm On Nov 11, 2016
you don't work on Nissan vehicles

GAZZUZZ:

Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:35pm On Nov 11, 2016
Jazzlite:
you don't work on Nissan vehicles

not any more.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by diportivo: 2:53pm On Nov 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

not any more.

No Nissan till 2019

grin grin grin grin
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by tolulinks(m): 6:33pm On Nov 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

not any more.
But oga Gazzuzz why? Do Nissans have inherent issues you can't just deal with?
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kingreign(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2016
tolulinks:

But oga Gazzuzz why? Do Nissans have inherent issues you can't just deal with?
He just chose not to work on Nissan USA, but he does European Nissans.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by erico2k2(m): 8:56pm On Nov 11, 2016
kaymode:
Hello GURUS in the house, I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 SUV. No major issues, drives just fine but I recently started noticing some noise from the exhaust with a high fuel consumption. 'Service Engine Soon' light came on recently and upon scanning it gave the following fault codes; P0420, P0430.

Please can anyone recommend me to a RELIABLE Nissan Technician who can check or replace the faulty cats? And possibly where I can get reliable dealers for the cats so I don't buy something that will pack up after installation.

Some months ago I got a recommendation from nairaland from someone who said he owned an auto shop only to find out I was referred to a mechanic. I went there just for an engine scan and oil/filter change but noticed the next day that the engine started leaking oil from the filter area. Still leaks oil till today. He only scanned and gave me the codes with no recommendation on what the problems were or how to fix them.

I welcome any suggestions on sorting the oil leak from the filter connection area too.

Thank You!
so where are the codes?
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by chukel(m): 1:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
kingreign:

gazzuz does not touch Nissan, infiniti, BMW and a host of other so called "evil" cars
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by chukel(m): 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
erico2k2:
so where are the codes?
Please read
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 01, 2016
Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it. Symptoms Symptoms can include: Hard starting or no start Rough running / misfiring Loss of engine power Causes A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened: a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed Possible Solutions With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor Replace the camshaft position sensor as required Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 7:26am On Dec 02, 2016
Eco2580:
Since it says circuit, that means the problem could lie in any part of the circuit - the sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM. Don't just replace the CPS (camshaft position sensor) and think that will definitely fix it. Symptoms Symptoms can include: Hard starting or no start Rough running / misfiring Loss of engine power Causes A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened: a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken the camshaft position sensor may have failed the PCM may have failed there exists an open circuit the crankshaft position sensor may have failed Possible Solutions With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try: Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit Check for continuity in the circuit wiring Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor Replace the camshaft position sensor as required Check the crankshaft position circuit as well Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0340
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Code is P0430 not P0340 sir. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kingreign(m): 7:49am On Dec 02, 2016
kaymode:

catalytic converted below threshold bank 2.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by Nobody: 10:17am On Dec 02, 2016
kaymode:

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) Technical Description Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2) What does that mean? This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that is applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles. Although generic, the specific repair steps may vary depending on make/model. Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system. Symptoms You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a rough/hard idle when cold. Causes A code P0430 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly There is an exhaust leak Possible Solutions First, inspect for exhaust leaks. Next step is to measure the voltage at the oxygen sensor on Bank 2. In fact, it would be a good idea to test each oxygen O2 sensor while you're at it. One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0430
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 02, 2016
You have two issues, not too serious to tackle.
1. The oil leak. The engine oil cooler gasket (ring rubber as it's called) has probably gone flat. You may need to change it. If not then its either the filter is not properly fixed or the cooler housing is damaged.
2. The Cats. You could gut (evacuate) them. The world would not crash. If after removal you're tormented by the two error codes then you could fix spacers or extenders on the two downstream O2 sensors.
Re: Nissan Pathfinder 2005 Catalytic Converter Replacement by kaymode(m): 2:18pm On Dec 02, 2016
Costee:
You have two issues, not too serious to tackle.
1. The oil leak. The engine oil cooler gasket (ring rubber as it's called) has probably gone flat. You may need to change it. If not then its either the filter is not properly fixed or the cooler housing is damaged.
2. The Cats. You could gut (evacuate) them. The world would not crash. If after removal you're tormented by the two error codes then you could fix spacers or extenders on the two downstream O2 sensors.

Thank you sir. Your comment was spot on. Just left a mechanic I met here on nairaland and he confirmed the leak was from the cooler gasket. That's been sorted. And for the cat code, there were leaks in the exhaust. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread

(1) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between A POS And A Mobile Phone? / Truck Driver Refuses To Overtake A Rolls Royce Phantom In Lagos (video) / Neatly Used Volvo S40 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.