Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media (4524 Views)

Clashes Reignited Between Biafra Separatists And Nigerian Army France24 / Biafran Leader Nnamdi Kanu: The Man Behind Nigeria's Separatists - BBC / Why IPOB Are Celebrating Donald Trump's Win (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Ipobdevil: 6:29am On Nov 11, 2016
Secessionist groups say Trump will uphold the right of indigenous peoples to "self-determination."
BY CONOR GAFFEY ON 11/10/16 AT 6:39 PM

A secessionist movement in Nigeria is celebrating the victory of Donald Trump in the U.S. presidential election, believing they have found a kindred spirit who can help their cause.

Supporters of the restoration of Biafra—a region of southeast Nigeria that existed as an independent republic between 1967 and 1970—have hailed Trump’s defeat of Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, suggesting it may portend their secession from the rest of Nigeria.

Pro-Biafra activists have come into conflict with the Nigerian authorities since October 2015, when the leader of a prominent activist group, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), was arrested in the West African country.

Amnesty International has called on the government of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari to investigate clashes that occurred in southern Nigeria in May, when scores of pro-Biafra activists were killed after Nigerian soldiers allegedly used “unnecessary and excessive force” in breaking up demonstrations. The Nigerian army has accused activists of undertaking violent demonstrations.

IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu appeared in court Tuesday, where he was re-arraigned on amended charges including treasonable felony and publication of defamatory matter, Nigeria’s Guardian newspaper reported. Kanu is due back in court for his bail hearing on November 17.

Activists used the hashtag #BiafraForTrump to celebrate the Republican’s unexpected victory, which they claim has given them renewed hope in their bid to secede from Nigeria.
Kanu’s wife tells Newsweek that she believes Trump will assist their cause. “With Trump coming into power, even though not everyone is happy about it, we are [happy] because hopefully Trump will uphold the self-determination rights of the indigenous people of Biafra,” says Uchechi Okwu-Kanu, who is based in London. She adds that, having spoken to Kanu’s lawyer Wednesday, the IPOB leader is pleased with Trump’s election.

Trump compared his anti-establishment campaign to the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union, saying that a victory for him would be “Brexit plus plus plus.” Pro-Biafra activists have cited a tweet sent by Trump in the wake of the Brexit vote as evidence that he is a champion of freedom. Activists for an independent Biafra also celebrated the EU referendum result, according to IBTimes U.K.

Clifford Iroanya, a leading figure in IPOB who is based in Texas and voted for the Republican, said it is in Trump’s interest to support the Biafran cause. The oil output of U.S. companies based in Nigeria—such as Chevron and Exxon Mobil—has been slashed in recent months by militants in the Niger Delta, an oil-rich basin in southern Nigeria.

Parts of the Delta were part of the territory of Biafra declared in 1967 to be an independent republic by ex-Nigerian military officer Odumegwu Ojukwu. The declaration sparked a civil war between Nigerian and Biafran forces, in which more than 1 million people died.

Iroanya maintains that the present agitations in the Niger Delta are connected to the demands of pro-Biafra groups for secession: “The economic interest of the United States is going to be affected in a very significant, immediate way if these things are not addressed.”

For his part, Trump made little to no mention of sub-Saharan Africa during his presidential campaign and has not publicly spoken on the issue of Biafran self-determination. President Buhari congratulated Trump on his election on Wednesday, saying that he looked forward to working with the president-elect “to build on and strengthen relations between Nigeria and the U.S.”

http://europe.newsweek.com/nigeria-biafra-separatists-are-celebrating-donald-trumps-election-519550?rm=eu

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by kettykin: 6:34am On Nov 11, 2016
Thank God, reasonable people are coming to rule United States .
Let us see what the slowpoke in Aso rock and his useless military can do against unarmed protesters.
I am neither an iPob fan or pro biafra person but I believe in the sanctity of the freedom of speech .
I have watched with contempt the flagrant abuse of the rights of people by the DSS and the military all because a hypocrite was elected to the presidency.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by AlPeter: 6:43am On Nov 11, 2016
Funny folks. Are they threatening him? Its in his best interest?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by checkolatunji: 6:46am On Nov 11, 2016
I am not understanding

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by chemicalDisease: 6:48am On Nov 11, 2016
Afonjass will not like this.
They will wish the news came from igberetv.

Kangaroo western cowards.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:49am On Nov 11, 2016
USA MEDIA, yet 99% of the news on the blog are centred on Biafra and its propaganda.. grin grin grin

Ndi Ara,!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by checkolatunji: 6:50am On Nov 11, 2016
kettykin:
Let us see what the slowpoke in Aso rock and his useless military can do against unarmed protesters.
I am neither an iPob fan or pro biafra person but I believe in the sanctity of the freedom of speech .
I have watched with contempt the flagrant abuse of the rights of people by the DSS and the military all because a hypocrite was elected to the presidency.

Issorite, you are not ipob but u be Ipad grin

We know who you are

8 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Ipobdevil: 6:52am On Nov 11, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
USA MEDIA, yet 99% of the news on the blog are centred on Biafra and its propaganda.. grin grin grin

Ndi Ara,!

Newsweek was an American weekly news magazine founded in 1933. It was published in four English language editions and 12 global editions written in the language of the circulation region.

Between 2008 and 2012, Newsweek underwent internal and external contractions designed to shift the magazine's focus and audience while improving its finances. Instead, losses accelerated: revenue dropped 38 percent from 2007 to 2009. The revenue declines prompted an August 2010 sale by owner The Washington Post Company to audio pioneer Sidney Harman—for a purchase price of one dollar and an assumption of the magazine's liabilities.[2][3]

In November 2010, Newsweek merged with the news and opinion website The Daily Beast, forming The Newsweek Daily Beast Company, after negotiations between the owners of the two publications. Tina Brown, The Daily Beast's editor-in-chief, served as the editor of both publications. Newsweek was jointly owned by the estate of the late Harman and the diversified American media and Internet company IAC.[4][5]

Newsweek ceased print publication with the December 31, 2012, issue and transitioned to an all-digital format, called Newsweek Global.[6][7][8]

On August 3, 2013, IBT Media announced it had acquired Newsweek from IAC on terms that were not disclosed; the acquisition included the Newsweek brand and its online publication, but did not include The Daily Beast.[9] IBT Media relaunched a print edition of Newsweek on March 7, 2014.[10][11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsweek

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Nobody: 6:54am On Nov 11, 2016
No one has coherently explained to me how Trump's victory will aid the actualization of Biafra.

Could anyone here be kind enough to help my ignorance?

5 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by IAmOged(f): 6:54am On Nov 11, 2016
Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by kettykin: 6:55am On Nov 11, 2016
checkolatunji:

Issorite, you are not ipob but u be Ipad grin

We know who you are
My position on ipob and their aspirations is immaterial. Only a very useless CIC and his useless military will open fire on unarmed protesters while leaving Armed herdsmen to be prowling around invading people's farmland.
Any body who supports the cic is worse than a hypocrite

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by abduljabbar4(m): 6:55am On Nov 11, 2016
kettykin:
chemicalDisease:

Lol. You people are really really ignorant. How will his victory stop buhari from dealing with criminals like ipob members? Oh I guess he will come to nigeria and arrest buharigrin

Let me tell you the truth. Even if the whole of NATO is going to assist those cowards that I know they will fail woefully. After defeating boko haram and the militants, it is now ipob that will defeat the fggrin

11 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by checkolatunji: 6:56am On Nov 11, 2016
kettykin:

My position on ipob and their aspirations is immaterial. Only a very useless CIC and his useless military will open fire on unarmed protesters while leaving Armed herdsmen to be prowling around invading people's farmland.
Any body who supports the cic is worse than a hypocrite

Issorite

2 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by kettykin: 6:57am On Nov 11, 2016
abduljabbar4:

Lol. You people are really really ignorant. How will his victory stop buhari from dealing with criminals like ipob members? Oh I guess he will come to nigeria and arrest buharigrin

Let me tell you the truth. Even if the whole of NATO is going to assist those cowards that I know they will fail woefully. After defeating boko haram and the militants, it is now ipob that will defeat the fggrin

I don't need to argue this back and forth with anyone. If the president went to a United Nations meeting in New York to campaign for the Palestine State then what makes ipob case a criminal case.
All that is needed to actualise biafra is for the world powers to acknowledge and affirm the struggle for independence of indigenous people all over the world.
Nigeria military with out the support of world powers is useless to the world.

22 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by feldido(m): 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
To be hopeful is good sha
Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
Ipobdevil:

Newsweek was an American weekly news magazine founded in 1933. It was published in four English language editions and 12 global editions written in the language of the circulation region.

Between 2008 and 2012, Newsweek underwent internal and external contractions designed to shift the magazine's focus and audience while improving its finances. Instead, losses accelerated: revenue dropped 38 percent from 2007 to 2009. The revenue declines prompted an August 2010 sale by owner The Washington Post Company to audio pioneer Sidney Harman—for a purchase price of one dollar and an assumption of the magazine's liabilities.[2][3]

In November 2010, Newsweek merged with the news and opinion website The Daily Beast, forming The Newsweek Daily Beast Company, after negotiations between the owners of the two publications. Tina Brown, The Daily Beast's editor-in-chief, served as the editor of both publications. Newsweek was jointly owned by the estate of the late Harman and the diversified American media and Internet company IAC.[4][5]

Newsweek ceased print publication with the December 31, 2012, issue and transitioned to an all-digital format, called Newsweek Global.[6][7][8]

On August 3, 2013, IBT Media announced it had acquired Newsweek from IAC on terms that were not disclosed; the acquisition included the Newsweek brand and its online publication, but did not include The Daily Beast.[9] IBT Media relaunched a print edition of Newsweek on March 7, 2014.[10][11]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsweek

The link says Europe.newsweek and you are talking about the newsweek grin

See the Biafran Verson grin

http://europe.newsweek.com/nigeria-biafra-separatists-are-celebrating-donald-trumps-election-519550?rm=eu

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Presidiotbuhari: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Ndi Ara,!
^^^
E pe nam

12 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by progress69: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
kettykin:

You guy's line of thinking is so .....(no English to qualify it). I don't get what Trump's victory have got to do with all the poo you wrote there, like Trump wil Buhari with 6 lashes of cane or like Trump will tell DSS or The NA to sit on thier head for carrying ouy their Constitutional duties. soliciting for arms, encouraging tribal war, instigating violence is NOT freedom of speech, let that sink deep down your grey matter. I wonder Trump's victory keeps giving u guys a reason to have cum shots. In b/w shy are u denying your identity?

6 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by chemicalDisease: 6:59am On Nov 11, 2016
abduljabbar4:

Dreamland hotels.
wake up bro.

till u defeat bokoharam with this ur sleeping president.

11 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by otukpo(f): 7:00am On Nov 11, 2016
Good luck to them.

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by kettykin: 7:04am On Nov 11, 2016
chemicalDisease:

Dreamland hotels.
wake up bro.

till u defeat bokoharam with this ur sleeping president.

The question is can an army that ran away from confronting Cameroon over bakassi peninsular citing reasons of the international court of justice which no country has ever obeyed defeat Boko Haram. ?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 11, 2016
abduljabbar4:

sense the presence of a Zombie

13 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by kettykin: 7:21am On Nov 11, 2016
progress69:

You guy's line of thinking is so .....(no English to qualify it). I don't get what Trump's victory have got to do with all the poo you wrote there, like Trump wil Buhari with 6 lashes of cane or like Trump will tell DSS or The NA to sit on thier head for carrying ouy their Constitutional duties. soliciting for arms, encouraging tribal war, instigating violence is NOT freedom of speech, let that sink deep down your grey matter. I wonder Trump's victory keeps giving u guys a reason to have cum shots. In b/w shy are u denying your identity?
So the constitutional rights of Nigeria army is to shoot at unarmed protesters while leaving Armed herdsmen to invade people's farms and homes.

If you don't realise it then realise now that Trump victory is a plus for brexit and has been referred to as brexit plus plus in foreign media.
Brexit when actualised will be a boost for other independence moves all over the world as Scotland has made it clear they will leave Britain

Trump compared his anti-establishment campaign to the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union, saying that a victory for him would be “Brexit plus plus plus.” Pro-Biafra activists have cited a tweet sent by Trump in the wake of the Brexit vote as evidence that he is a champion of freedom. Activists for an independent Biafra also celebrated the EU referendum result, according to IBTimes U.K.

19 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by clevadani: 7:27am On Nov 11, 2016
Some people never cease to amaze me

1 Like

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Mckennedy: 7:31am On Nov 11, 2016
abduljabbar4:

I feel your frustration.

12 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Xflint(m): 7:34am On Nov 11, 2016
bejeiodus:
No one has coherently explained to me how Trump's victory will aid the actualization of Biafra.

Could anyone here be kind enough to help my ignorance?

Personally i am happy becos wen people from the southeast showed their support for Trump, many people call them names saying that they are always against anything that other tribes arent supporting, must everybody look in your way of thoughts and direction?

Now, the same Trump has won. They are happy.

My question is why cant u guys, allow them to be happy for once?

Why is it that anything that hurts them u all smiles?

But when they make small progress, u all frowns.

Last time was Hausa men crying why Military gave Aba boys contract to make boots for them. Why are u all so angry with them.

They said they aren't interested to be Nigerians, you guys frown. Okay, show us while we must remain one, yet you still cant.

Buhari will give contract and intentionally skip this people, so have other nigerian leader have done, you all will rejoice and clap. And yet you expect them to remain calm? Woooow.

Let me ask you a simple question. If your tribe is marginalized for this number of years like the Igbos are will you remain calm?

See, right now success if afraid of Nigeria comes anytime it cos we all look at the tribe first befor getting happy or getting angry.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by midol: 7:42am On Nov 11, 2016
we yoruba muslims are not happy about this news. We must beg trump to hate Biafra and love our turbaned muslim skulls.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by midol: 7:44am On Nov 11, 2016
Why are Americans and US republicans talking about Biafran activists, the more they mention Biafra the more pains our yoruba muslim boneheads suffer pains.

9 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by midol: 7:46am On Nov 11, 2016
Biafraudexposed please come and see another great exposure from american people. Our APC hearts are pained and i'm crying here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by TheDEVlLHimseIf: 7:47am On Nov 11, 2016
[s]
NgeneUkwenu:

The link says Europe.newsweek and you are talking about the newsweek grin

See the Biafran Verson grin

[/s]

chaii ngeneukwenu e pain you no be small
kiss the truth

14 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 11, 2016
Xflint:

Personally i am happy becos wen people from the southeast showed their support for Trump, many people call them names saying that they always anything that other tribes arent supporting.

Now, the Trump has won. They are happy.

My question is why cant u guys, allow them to be happy for once?

Why is it that anything that hurts them u all smiles?

But when they make small progress, u all frown.

See, right now success if afraid of Nigeria cos anytime it cos we all look at the tribe first befor getting happy or getting angry.
You obviously do not know me well enough. I don't cast slur on people's tribe. My question was an innocuous one and thankfully your response was devoid of insults. I am happy the Igbo's backed the right horse this time. More political success to the Igbo tribe.

3 Likes

Re: In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media by Earth2Metahuman: 7:52am On Nov 11, 2016
chemicalDisease:

I wonder who the real cowards are?

The ones waiting on Trump to come and save them and their leaders from their afonja masters Or the afonjas that are keeping their brainless flat heads in the zoo cheesy

Jokes on you, joker!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

So 40 Heavily Armed Fulani Terrorists Submitted To ESN Without A Fight ? / God Has Repaid Rotimi Ameachi For His Treachery / Obi's Mock Ministerial Nomination List Trends Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.