Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,275 members, 7,860,638 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:36 PM

Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory (997 Views)

South African Police Officers Stage Protest Against Nigerians (photos) / Nnamdi Kanu Storms Anambra, Amidst Election Saga, Received By Huge Crowd / Fayose Reacts To Trump's Victory: "Obama Got What He Did To Jonathan'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by gbengress1: 1:49pm On Nov 11, 2016
I've seen so many (annoying) posts in the wake of the Trump victory but the ones that irk me the most are posts by Nigerians living in Nigeria saying that they are happy Trump won BECAUSE he will send Nigerian (brains) in the US home to (develop) Nigeria. Some have even gone as far as posting "requests" for Trump to do just that. I think these posts, jokes or not, are ignorant at best, obnoxious, malicious and infuriating at worst, and show what poor sense of reasoning and judgement some Nigerians have.
This isn't the first time I've been in conversation with people who honestly believe that the Nigerians in diaspora are "part of the problem because they ran away" and should come home to develop Nigeria. My first response is usually, "a lot of them are actually part of the solution, especially if they still have family members in Nigeria," and my first question to such people is usually, "come home to do what?" Thankfully, I know quite a number of friends who have done exactly what these ignorant Nigerians are asking and have completely regretted their actions. A friend of mine returned to the country to "contribute to its development" after his masters in the US despite warnings from family not to return. After struggling to land a job at an IT firm, he was excited at the prospect of putting his vast knowledge of cyber security to use at his job. His first obstacle was jealousy by his (fellow Nigerian) colleagues stemmed from inferiority complex that he had an international degree and was therefore "better" than them. Despite going out of his way to be very friendly and courteous to his colleagues, he still ended up being the victim of intense workplace gossip and bad mouthing to the bosses even though all this guy wanted to do was work, come up with innovative ideas and help BUILD the company in his capacity as a staff member. His next obstacle was antagonism at work stemmed from the fact that he did not want to be involved in corrupt practices and tell "white lies." This led to a lack of promotion despite hard work and obvious merit for it. This young programmer got so frustrated and when we spoke he said, "All I wanted to do was come home and contribute, but obviously Nigeria isn't ready for such. I'm returning to the States."
Another friend came home recently after his communications degree to start a business. He got married and had a lovely baby girl and kept trying to run his business in Lagos. Just yesterday, he told me he had renewed his visa to return and that this "Buhari change isn't working for his business at all."
A young vibrant friend who left a lucrative job and decided to join grassroots politics in order to effect meaningful change was mysteriously killed. HE DIED. My guess is he paid that price because some people currently benefit from the status quo that is a failing Nigeria and do not want that to change. Or maybe he didnt have strong juju power.
Another person came home to start a lecturing job at his undergraduate institution and and was constantly treated like crap by senior lecturers and professors who had taught him as an undergrad. All his Ideas for departmental improvement fell on deaf ears and whispers of "who does he think he is? This one that just got here yesterday?" Needless to say, he's tired and also planning to leave.
I even have my own experiences to narrate, but another time.
I could go on and on with stories of people I KNOW who have come home only to realize that the Nigerian climate is not even conducive for its own development from within, talk less of by investors from without, which is what these diasporans coming home would be. For people to come in and "develop" the country, certain BASIC infrastructure need to be in place. Despite this, I know Nigerians who work hard abroad and pump money into their family businesses here. They work and send money home, adding to the economy. They do what they can to improve what they can without being in Nigeria where they are likely to die of frustration. They are starting NGOs, small and medium scale businesses and hiring managers here to handle these businesses in their absence. They are spending sabbaticals and summer months at their alma maters teaching pro bono. They are developing the best way they can. They are excelling in their fields and gaining global recognition. And until Nigeria is ready for REAL development, I say kudos to these wonderful people doing well abroad and allowing the world recognize that Nigerians are more than just Internet scammers.
Nigerians at home are better off directing their lamentations at their political leaders who were ELECTED to cater to national development yet travel abroad at the slightest cough or earache but come home and do nothing about the dilapidated state of our hospitals. These are the same hospitals doctors abroad should come and work in right? Or develop for you? Rubbish! These same politicians, senators, ministers and law makers will ride trains and and buses abroad but will disregard our bad roads and poor transport network. Smh. Yet you Nigerians are crying for people like yourselves, whom the government did next to nothing for--people who had dreams that Nigeria would make hard to realize, who struggled, did what they had to do and ventured out, often by very difficult means--to come and be your savior? Mtcheew. What are YOU doing to develop Nigeria?
The MIT grad building a STEM school in Nigeria is already under fire by the very Nigerians he wants to help. Nigerians are already picking his project apart: why must must he build the school in Abuja? Can't he build It elsewhere? Can't he build it in his hometown instead? It's only rich people that will attend that one jare! These are comments I've seen with my own eyes! Without even knowing his full intentions, they are already gnashing their teeth, foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs. I just hope the young man isn't so frustrated that he ends up taking his idea to Kenya or South Africa. Smh.

https://www.facebook.com/maureen.onyeziri/posts/10154052034887654
Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by gbengress1: 1:53pm On Nov 11, 2016

Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by Izonpikin: 1:53pm On Nov 11, 2016
People just keep mocking God...

So this mumu religious leader is trying to say that God appointed a pu*****y grabber to end immorality in america

Nonsense...the most nonsene thing I have heard so far today... angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by emryxleena(m): 1:55pm On Nov 11, 2016
nice write up
Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 11, 2016
We are only returning the favour after you wished and campaigned Buhari to power last year....

As the saying goes "one good turn deserves another"

Enjoy Trump

1 Like

Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by gbengress1: 8:05pm On Nov 11, 2016
Dont get your point
Axon:
We are only returning the favour after you wished and campaigned Buhari to power last year....

Enjoy Trump
Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by Duru1(m): 8:11pm On Nov 11, 2016
gbengress1:
I've seen so many (annoying) posts in the wake of the Trump victory but the ones that irk me the most are posts by Nigerians living in Nigeria saying that they are happy Trump won BECAUSE he will send Nigerian (brains) in the US home to (develop) Nigeria. Some have even gone as far as posting "requests" for Trump to do just that. I think these posts, jokes or not, are ignorant at best, obnoxious, malicious and infuriating at worst, and show what poor sense of reasoning and judgement some Nigerians have.
This isn't the first time I've been in conversation with people who honestly believe that the Nigerians in diaspora are "part of the problem because they ran away" and should come home to develop Nigeria. My first response is usually, "a lot of them are actually part of the solution, especially if they still have family members in Nigeria," and my first question to such people is usually, "come home to do what?" Thankfully, I know quite a number of friends who have done exactly what these ignorant Nigerians are asking and have completely regretted their actions. A friend of mine returned to the country to "contribute to its development" after his masters in the US despite warnings from family not to return. After struggling to land a job at an IT firm, he was excited at the prospect of putting his vast knowledge of cyber security to use at his job. His first obstacle was jealousy by his (fellow Nigerian) colleagues stemmed from inferiority complex that he had an international degree and was therefore "better" than them. Despite going out of his way to be very friendly and courteous to his colleagues, he still ended up being the victim of intense workplace gossip and bad mouthing to the bosses even though all this guy wanted to do was work, come up with innovative ideas and help BUILD the company in his capacity as a staff member. His next obstacle was antagonism at work stemmed from the fact that he did not want to be involved in corrupt practices and tell "white lies." This led to a lack of promotion despite hard work and obvious merit for it. This young programmer got so frustrated and when we spoke he said, "All I wanted to do was come home and contribute, but obviously Nigeria isn't ready for such. I'm returning to the States."
Another friend came home recently after his communications degree to start a business. He got married and had a lovely baby girl and kept trying to run his business in Lagos. Just yesterday, he told me he had renewed his visa to return and that this "Buhari change isn't working for his business at all."
A young vibrant friend who left a lucrative job and decided to join grassroots politics in order to effect meaningful change was mysteriously killed. HE DIED. My guess is he paid that price because some people currently benefit from the status quo that is a failing Nigeria and do not want that to change. Or maybe he didnt have strong juju power.
Another person came home to start a lecturing job at his undergraduate institution and and was constantly treated like crap by senior lecturers and professors who had taught him as an undergrad. All his Ideas for departmental improvement fell on deaf ears and whispers of "who does he think he is? This one that just got here yesterday?" Needless to say, he's tired and also planning to leave.
I even have my own experiences to narrate, but another time.
I could go on and on with stories of people I KNOW who have come home only to realize that the Nigerian climate is not even conducive for its own development from within, talk less of by investors from without, which is what these diasporans coming home would be. For people to come in and "develop" the country, certain BASIC infrastructure need to be in place. Despite this, I know Nigerians who work hard abroad and pump money into their family businesses here. They work and send money home, adding to the economy. They do what they can to improve what they can without being in Nigeria where they are likely to die of frustration. They are starting NGOs, small and medium scale businesses and hiring managers here to handle these businesses in their absence. They are spending sabbaticals and summer months at their alma maters teaching pro bono. They are developing the best way they can. They are excelling in their fields and gaining global recognition. And until Nigeria is ready for REAL development, I say kudos to these wonderful people doing well abroad and allowing the world recognize that Nigerians are more than just Internet scammers.
Nigerians at home are better off directing their lamentations at their political leaders who were ELECTED to cater to national development yet travel abroad at the slightest cough or earache but come home and do nothing about the dilapidated state of our hospitals. These are the same hospitals doctors abroad should come and work in right? Or develop for you? Rubbish! These same politicians, senators, ministers and law makers will ride trains and and buses abroad but will disregard our bad roads and poor transport network. Smh. Yet you Nigerians are crying for people like yourselves, whom the government did next to nothing for--people who had dreams that Nigeria would make hard to realize, who struggled, did what they had to do and ventured out, often by very difficult means--to come and be your savior? Mtcheew. What are YOU doing to develop Nigeria?
The MIT grad building a STEM school in Nigeria is already under fire by the very Nigerians he wants to help. Nigerians are already picking his project apart: why must must he build the school in Abuja? Can't he build It elsewhere? Can't he build it in his hometown instead? It's only rich people that will attend that one jare! These are comments I've seen with my own eyes! Without even knowing his full intentions, they are already gnashing their teeth, foaming at the mouth like rabid dogs. I just hope the young man isn't so frustrated that he ends up taking his idea to Kenya or South Africa. Smh.

https://www.facebook.com/maureen.onyeziri/posts/10154052034887654

The writer of the above crap is a dumbass loser. The only barrier to progress in Nigeria in particular and African in general is lack of critical thinking. Africans feel rather than think.
Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 11, 2016
Axon:

Enjoy Trump

Stop this we gave you Trump cos they forced Buhari on us.

First you never voted.

Secondly, The said Trump is supposed to be feeling your support by you saying he is a good choice.

What you are saying implies the opposite and even if he had intention of siding with you, he will become unconcerned at best.
Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 11, 2016
ikennaf1:

Stop this we gave you Trump cos they forced Buhari on us.

First you never voted.

Secondly, The said Trump is supposed to be feeling your support by you saying he is a good choice.

What you are saying implies the opposite and even if he had intention of siding with you, he will become unconcerned at best.

... I never voted for trump just as they didn't vote for buhari.

Secondly I don't need trump to side me or even acknowledge my support to taunt anyone. I am returning the favor of their taunting

Just so you know, the 2nd paragraph u typed is hogwash and pure undiluted baloney

1 Like

Re: Vexation Of A Nigerian Living In The US Against Nigerians Amidst Trump's Victory by gbengress1: 10:17pm On Nov 11, 2016
Funny enough,

Trump may come out to become one of the best president US ever had

(1) (Reply)

Honourable Member Of House Of Representatives in 130 million loan mess / What Has Buhari's Administration Achieved This Year? (2) / Reply To Reno's Half Truths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.