Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,045 members, 7,818,140 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

$2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources (9969 Views)

'Jonathan Testifying For Dasuki In Court Is Desirable'- Dasuki's Lawyer A. Raji / It Is Not Possible For Dasuki To Steal $2.2billion – jonathan / Patience Jonathan Won’t Go Scot-free – EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

$2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Islie: 5:32am On Nov 12, 2016
Chukwudi Akasike, Simon Utebor, Ifeanyi Onuba, Ade Adesomoju and Ovie Okpare

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan will not be appearing as a defence witness in the trial of former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

Our correspondents gathered in Abuja on Friday that the former President had not indicated any interest in making an appearance in the ongoing trial of any of his former aides.

The ex-President has so far not been named as a party in the case against Dasuki.

Sources familiar with the case argued that the former President is neither an accused person nor a witness, and as such, he is not expected to appear or send a legal representative.

A close Jonathan’s associate, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, asked, “Why should he appear? He (Jonathan) is not a party to the suit and we are aware that a few persons are desperate to humiliate our former President by dragging him into all this.

“Their aim is to create tension and destabilise us. We will not give enemies of Nigeria the pleasure of destroying our nation.”

Attempts to get the reaction of Jonathan’s media aide, Mr. Ikechukwu Eze, were unsuccessful. Calls to his mobile telephone indicated that it was switched off. Responses to a text message and an e-mail sent to him were still being expected as of the time of filing this report.

In the same vein, an Ijaw leader and National Chairman, Ogbia Brotherhood, the apex umbrella body of the kinsmen of the former President, Chief Benson Agadaga, described any request made to Jonathan to testify in court as “unthinkable and insulting.”

Regarding the alleged $2.1bn arms scandal, Agadaga said approval was given and the money was disbursed, noting that if the disbursement did not follow due process, the records were there to show who did what.

He said, “The security agencies should have investigated everything, they know what is there. To ask him (Jonathan) to go and testify is an insult. How many other former Presidents have testified in the court? We have yet to see that.

“The approval was given for the money to be disbursed and it was disbursed the way it was wanted. But if the money was disbursed other than what was approved, the records are there to show. I am sure all these things have been documented. The documents should speak for themselves.

“Asking him to go to court to testify is an insult. They are demoralising him. Have they asked former President Shehu Shagari to go to court? Has former Head of State, Abdulsalami Abubakar, gone to court any day? Have former Military President Ibrahim Babangida, former President Olusegun Obasanjo and others gone to court?

“If you want to fight corruption, should it be with Jonathan alone? Is Jonathan the originator of corruption in Nigeria? Corruption has been in Nigeria before now. And if people are to be probed, like what happened in Ghana, all the former Heads of State should be probed. If they want to probe corruption, it should start from Shagari’s time. Nobody is an angel.”

Agadaga , therefore, asked Buhari to focus on the economy, stressing that the hardship in the country was becoming too much.

He added, “I think the Federal Government should focus on how to alleviate the hardship in the country for things to be better for all than to ask Jonathan to go to court.

“If you are fighting corruption, make it universal. If it is universal and you are dealing with Mr. B according to how you are dealing with Mr. A, nobody will complain.

But this is very clear. Even a small child knows that it is the opponents of this government that are being persecuted. How many members of the All Progressives Congress have been arraigned anywhere? Are they not corrupt? By now, one would have seen that he has disciplined one or two APC members in his cabinet or present governors of the APC. I do not see any of them being investigated. It is very clear that it is a one-sided approach.”

The Ijaw Youth Council said that the former President need not testify for anybody.

The IYC spokesman, Mr. Eric Omare, said President Muhammadu Buhari’s fight against corruption appeared to be an instrument of victimisation against perceived political opponents.

“All these calls and talks about the former President are aimed at humiliating him (Jonathan),” he said.

http://punchng.com/2-1bn-arms-scandal-jonathan-wont-testify-dasuki-say-sources/

2 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by chriskosherbal(m): 5:33am On Nov 12, 2016
So this dasuki issue is still on board?

2 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by GudluckIBB(m): 5:39am On Nov 12, 2016
Let him go and testify na, shebi he was making mouth that there is nonthing like missing arms money.

Dasuki would have implicated him because he gave approval on how the monies should be disbursed.

Lawyers who has seen what's on ground has advised him not to make that move else He will just implicated himself

Same way olisa metuh and obanikoro were raking but when they got to efcc and saw evidences before them, the story changed, they started falling sick, vomiting and then pleading for a bargain.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by BarrElChapo(m): 5:42am On Nov 12, 2016
cool tongue cool cool
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Samtob90(m): 5:42am On Nov 12, 2016
All other former head of state kept quiet on issue of corruption in court cases but Jonathan knowingfully what he did in office went ahead to say he did not believe they could steal such amount. What a foolish statement! If he did not believe, it is logical he goes to court to clarify and besides, was it Buhari/Apc that invited him to testify?
This tribe thrive in corrupt practices

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by dingbang(m): 5:44am On Nov 12, 2016
Buhari should understand that he too will be probed

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Aufbauh(m): 5:45am On Nov 12, 2016
Even though Jona is clueless he is not that dumb to stand as a trial witness for Da$uki.

His statement is most regrettable and unfortunate.
For someone with such burden of corruption indirectly hanging on him to give out himself with such profane statement is ludicrous & lugubrious.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by HtwoOw: 5:45am On Nov 12, 2016
Who born monkey

Even him ma know say na one chance be that

. Person wey dem wan roast go con dey rub oyel for bodi?

11 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Osgilliat(m): 5:52am On Nov 12, 2016
dingbang:
Buhari should understand that he too will be probed

He knows him too would be probe once he is out of the office. He will always make sure he is clean and other politicians in this administration should make sure they are clean also. This probe of a thing is a good thing for us, I still don't see any reason why some people are still against it.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by fulaniHERDSman(m): 6:00am On Nov 12, 2016
Ofcourse, he is not as sillly as patience grin

8 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by DropShot: 6:02am On Nov 12, 2016
Aufbauh:
Even though Jona is clueless he is not that dumb to stand as a trial witness for Da$uki.
But he is dumb enough to put himself in a position to be asked to stand as witness by saying he didn't think Dasuki stole $2.1bn.

Btw, has anyone even said Dasuki stole $2.1 bn? The case bothers on mismanagement of the arms fund by looting substantial part of it. And one would expect a president who was supposed to prevent such mismanagement to shut up in the face of revelations we're now hearing on daily basis.

The Ineffectual Buffoon is very dumb.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by okosodo: 6:04am On Nov 12, 2016
I have all the reasons to believe that this is a witch-hunt and propaganda against jonathan and those that served in his administration since the money has been accounted for and they are still holding him after the court granted him bail. This is inspite of the high-profiled corruption going on today and no arrest whatsoever. The effect of this is the weakening and raping of institutions that are in place to fight corruption, people will no longer have confidence in them

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by DropShot: 6:09am On Nov 12, 2016
fulaniHERDSman:
Ofcourse, he is not as sillly as patience grin
I think he is as silly as Patience by making that statement to defend Dasuki.

That statement alone could result in him being invited for questioning in a normal setting but because of how ours is screwed by ethnic coloration.

The dumbo says he didn't "think Dasuki stole $2.1bn arms fund" while he was president but he's refusing to stand as a witness for Dasuki to get him off hook?

Why won't he just shut his clueless mouth and let the case progress naturally?

6 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by DropShot: 6:16am On Nov 12, 2016
okosodo:
I have all the reasons to believe that this is a witch-hunt and propaganda against jonathan and those that served in his administration since the money has been accounted for and they are still holding him after the court granted him bail. This is inspite of the high-profiled corruption going on today and no arrest whatsoever. The effect of this is the weakening and raping of institutions that are in place to fight corruption, people will no longer have confidence in them

Did you in anyway benefit from the slush fund?

Or you think because Dasuki has said he gave so so and so persons money, he should just be released?
Guy, this case is our signature case in our fight against corruption. It's the worst type of corruption to rock the country given that a lot of innocent lives were lost (still being lost) because of deliberate acts of omission and commission of Dasuki and his useless comrades in looting.

Besides, Dasuki is being legally held by the govt. One of three courts where his charges were being heard granted him bail. Two didn't. So wtf?

10 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by eezeribe(m): 6:25am On Nov 12, 2016
OK
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by omenka(m): 6:31am On Nov 12, 2016
My First comment for today. Wanna try not to come off foul now and for the rest of the day. cheesy

So, when news broke the other week Jonathan was gonna stand witness for Dasuki, I was so elated and had a mini thanksgiving here (if my memory serves me right) saying..

omenka:
This is "da" day, this is "da" day..

That the Lord has made, that the Lord has made..

I will rejoice, I will rejoice, and be glad in it, and be glad in it... gringrin

Oh Lord, please make it permanent, don't give him the wisdom to back down, let him stick to his gun and appear in court indeed, AMEN!! gringrin
But now, I feel sad knowing God hasn't looked favourably on the bold portion of what I said then.. cheesy

Oh well, he made the right call on this one. Would have ended up ruining what's left of his reputation.

Good morning Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.

12 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Nobody: 6:33am On Nov 12, 2016
The dude above me seems to crawl out of his hole whenever Jonathan gets mentioned. Moreso, he always seems to get a rocky hard on on his matter.
Bros, it's Saturday, if you don't have anything doing or anywhere going, take a walk and locate the nearest owambe. Free rice for ur hunger striken upstairs

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:42am On Nov 12, 2016
GEJ MY MAN...

But when will Babachir Testify for using a whooping 270million to Clear Grasses or When will Buratai explain to us how he built Mansions worth Billions of Naira in Dubai

We now have a Media Government.

We need a ministry of "Office of the photographer to the President"

GEJ Baba We Miss you Jare

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Firefire(m): 6:51am On Nov 12, 2016
frenchwine:
The dude above me seems to crawl out of his hole whenever Jonathan gets mentioned. Moreso, he always seems to get a rocky hard on on his matter.
Bros, it's Saturday, if you don't have anything doing or anywhere going, talk a walk and locate the nearest owambe. Free rice for ur hunger striken upstairs

Some of those cretins have strong hatred in their DNA, please ignore them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Firefire(m): 6:52am On Nov 12, 2016
“If you want to fight corruption, should it be with Jonathan alone? Is Jonathan the originator of corruption in Nigeria? Corruption has been in Nigeria before now.

And if people are to be probed, like what happened in Ghana, all the former Heads of State should be probed. If they want to probe corruption, it should start from Shagari’s time. Nobody is an angel.”

“Buhary, If you are fighting corruption, make it universal. If it is universal and you are dealing with Mr. B according to how you are dealing with Mr. A, nobody will complain"
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by ijustdey: 7:00am On Nov 12, 2016
and he backdown when I thinking he is going to clear his name form the dasukigate mess gringrin

3 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 12, 2016
grin
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Aburi001: 8:05am On Nov 12, 2016
It was even Dasuki lawyer that said Jonathan have agreed to testify in favour of Dasuki.

On the strenght of that agreement he spoke in london that no such money was missing and dasuki is singing like a little bird of how he gives you millions of Naira to party leaders and traditional rulers.

His appearance in court would have exposed him as a man that never really knew what was happening in his government.

WE ARE PRODUCTS OF OUR DECISIONS.

4 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by huaduke9: 8:05am On Nov 12, 2016
that is like walking into the fire by one's self

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by iluvpomo(m): 8:06am On Nov 12, 2016
Oga Jona, please rest well and enjoy that money that you chopped as a 'reward for your hard work'. Please greet mama Patience for us. We really miss her and and all the sweet things she would say when the going was rough. Till today, I have been unable to cry the kind of tears she shed for the bornu girls.

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by onosprince(m): 8:08am On Nov 12, 2016
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by DavidTheGeek: 8:09am On Nov 12, 2016
Tired of hearing this Dasuki matter. Let it be over already! undecided
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by jegz25(m): 8:12am On Nov 12, 2016
Let d IB even try it and watch as he will b implicating his clueless ass
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by blazetitov: 8:12am On Nov 12, 2016
Too many daft people defending the former President in the write up. Can a prosecutor force a witness on the defendant? How come they making it sound like it's the present administration that wants to enlist GEJ as a defense witness?

Morons everywhere with the the worst of them those who won't read before rushing to comment here.

2 Likes

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by emperorAY(m): 8:15am On Nov 12, 2016
Fight against corruption indeed,until we start obeying rule of law and possibly amend d constitution, I don't see any conviction in d nearest future
Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by emperorAY(m): 8:20am On Nov 12, 2016
This govt will have done d same if they were in power then, how do u think election is being funded, u think am in govt and I will just start withdrawing from my bank account.rubbish

Please buhari should come out to explain carefully hw he funded his election, ameachi and co also stole and looted their states money ;DThis govt will have done d same if they were in power then, how do u think election is being funded, u think am in govt and I will just start withdrawing from my bank account.rubbish

Please buhari should come out to explain carefully hw he funded his election, ameachi and co also stole and looted their states money

1 Like

Re: $2.1bn Arms Scandal: Jonathan Won’t Testify For Dasuki, Say Sources by Ikigia: 8:20am On Nov 12, 2016
Good for him, better for all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Adjourns Hearing On Bauchi Governorship Election Suit / Babangida: Nigeria’s Military Overstretched,Operates With Obsolete Equipment / Ijaw Militants To Boko Haram: “Enough Is Enough”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.