Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,282 members, 7,818,958 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? (2992 Views)

No Going Back On Ekpeyong, Oke’s Arrest, Says Magu / Man Fulfills His Promise, Pours Water On Floor And Drinks On Buhari's Arrival / Edo Election: Buhari Has Fulfilled His Promise For Free & Fair Election- Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 7:13am On Nov 12, 2016
Election fallout

Prior to November 11 election won by Donald Trump, One of his main campaign agenda was about repealing 'Obamacare'

In his words During a speech in the Philadelphia suburbs dedicated to blasting the Affordable Care Act, Trump vowed, “When we win on Nov. 8 and elect a Republican Congress, we will be able to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare

Special attention to the last line of the sentence.

Fast forward to his first interview after he was elected

Excerpts from the interview

LESLEY STAHL: Let me ask you about Obamacare, which you say you’re going to repeal and replace. When you replace it, are you going to make sure that people with pre-conditions are still covered?

DONALD TRUMP: Yes. Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.

LESLEY STAHL: You’re going to keep it?

DONALD TRUMP: Also, with the children living with their parents for an extended period, we’re going to...

LESLEY STAHL: You’re going to keep that?

DONALD TRUMP: ... very much try and keep that. It adds cost, but it’s very much something we’re going to try and keep.

LESLEY STAHL: And there’s going to be a period if you repeal it and before you replace it, when millions of people...

DONALD TRUMP: No.

LESLEY STAHL: ...will be--no?

DONALD TRUMP: We’re going to do it simultaneously. It’ll be just fine. That’s what I do. I do a good job. You know, I mean, I know how to do this stuff. We’re going to repeal it and replace it. And we’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced. I mean, you’ll know. And it’ll be great health care for much less money.

What's your take?
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Oldlayez: 7:18am On Nov 12, 2016
samhay:
Election fallout

Prior to November 11 election won by Donald Trump, One of his main campaign agenda was about repealing 'Obamacare'

In his words During a speech in the Philadelphia suburbs dedicated to blasting the Affordable Care Act, Trump vowed, “When we win on Nov. 8 and elect a Republican Congress, we will be able to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare

Special attention to the last line of the sentence.

Fast forward to his first interview after he was elected

Excerpts from the interview

LESLEY STAHL: Let me ask you about Obamacare, which you say you’re going to repeal and replace. When you replace it, are you going to make sure that people with pre-conditions are still covered?

DONALD TRUMP: Yes. Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.

DONALD TRUMP: Also, with the children living with their parents for an extended period, we’re going to...

DONALD TRUMP: ... very much try and keep that. It adds cost, but it’s very much something we’re going to try and keep.

LESLEY STAHL: And there’s going to be a period if you repeal it and before you replace it, when millions of people...

DONALD TRUMP: We’re going to do it simultaneously. It’ll be just fine. That’s what I do. I do a good job. You know, I mean, I know how to do this stuff. We’re going to repeal it and replace it. And we’re not going to have, like, a two-day period and we’re not going to have a two-year period where there’s nothing. It will be repealed and replaced. I mean, you’ll know. And it’ll be great health care for much less money.

What's your take?

Their business biko. What is Buhari's plan for Nigeria's healthcare ?

15 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by DropShot: 7:20am On Nov 12, 2016
cheesy grin

I said it before. Let me look for the post.
Here:

DropShot:
Most of what Trump said during campaign are just idealism. Not pragmatism.

Soon, he will be humbled when he realizes that certain things can't just happen no matter how hard you try. He has to operate within the dictates of the Constitution and not much can be done outside it.

On the international front, he will also realize that he has to protect certain interests against his wish in return for other advantages elsewhere. For example, he doesn't want USA to continue to support NATO without those NATO countries paying for the cost of such protection. But withdrawing such support gives Russia more power and influence in Europe and other regions which ultimately makes Russia become more powerful, influential and domineering in world affairs.

Suddenly, he will realize he cannot afford to play a second fiddle to Russia since America still wants the bragging right as the most powerful nation on earth. Russia understands his naivety and it's the reason Putin prefers him being a complete novice in the power play.

The reality will hit him sooner than later.

This is just the beginning.

3 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by dunkem21(m): 7:23am On Nov 12, 2016
This Trump matter dey pepper people die cheesy

The new Sherrif can decide to deny all his campaign promises and anybody that complains will have his green card torn grin

Zombies cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 7:30am On Nov 12, 2016
Oldlayez:

Their business biko. What is Buhari's plan for Nigeria's healthcare ?

Did he meet any1 on ground he promised to replace?

Why dnt you let him finish his term,then you judge him based on how far he went.

By the way this is not Buhari's post, can you try and not derail please!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Oldlayez: 7:33am On Nov 12, 2016
samhay:

Did he meet any1 on ground he promised to replace?

Why dnt you let him finish his term,then you judge him based on how far he went.

By the way this is not Buhari's post, can you try and not derail please!!!

Mumu

8 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Agimor(m): 7:33am On Nov 12, 2016
Both Buhari and Trump has one ideology which is change. Humans naturally resist change but not political change...Buhari came preaching change during campaign and he was elected same with Trump. In order words humans accommodate political change.
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 7:42am On Nov 12, 2016
Oldlayez:

Mumu

That's the best u can do

Clap urself

4 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by DropShot: 7:48am On Nov 12, 2016
I care less about what happens in America. However, when he said he would repeal Obamacare on day one of taking office, why didn't the dumb Americans ask "then what next?"
Before Obamacare, many Americans were without any health insurance. It was Obamacare that gave those ones some lifeline. And someone says he will repeal it straightaway because of high cost?

Well, he has realized it's not just possible.

2 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by MalcoImX: 7:54am On Nov 12, 2016
The dude will be overwhelmed.He has also said that appointing special prosecutor to look into Hillary Clinton's emails isn't a priority for him.

1 Like

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by MalcoImX: 8:04am On Nov 12, 2016
DropShot:
cheesy grin

Here:

Trump's mouth will be his undoing. There were celebrations in the Russian Duma on realization of his victory. That only portends he'll be easy to deal with. He'll be tested too by China. Remember, the #1 book on strategy for most Americans is Sun Tzu's The Art of War. That just tells us they are masters of the game, and may be celebrating too.

1 Like

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by EternalTruths: 8:29am On Nov 12, 2016
DropShot:
I care less about what happens in America. However, when he said he would repeal Obamacare on day one of taking office, why didn't the dumb Americans ask "then what next?"
Before Obamacare, many Americans were without any health insurance. It was Obamacare that gave those ones some lifeline. And someone says he will repeal it straightaway because of high cost?

Well, he has realized it's not just possible.

The difference between Trump and Buhari is that Trump accepts a better plan even from opponents while Buhari will rather crumble the entire structure than accept a better idea enthroned by his predecessor eg YOUWIN. cool

Buhari is an incompetent ethnoreligious bigot cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Noneroone(m): 8:38am On Nov 12, 2016
He says he will look into obamas suggestions just for the respect he has for him but the insane media twisted it. He is now the president elect and they should get used to it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by IVORY2009(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2016
[s]
DropShot:
Keep repeating the above every morning when you wake up. Perhaps your sickness will be cured, pained sore loser!
[/s]
Is that all? grin shocked

6 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by DropShot: 9:19am On Nov 12, 2016
IVORY2009:
[s][/s]

Is that all? grin shocked
Try that first. If it doesn't cure you, I will know what to recommend next.

grin

4 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 10:19am On Nov 12, 2016
Noneroone:
He says he will look into obamas suggestions just for the respect he has for him but the insane media twisted it. He is now the president elect and they should get used to it.

How did the insane media twisted it wen I quote the interview up dia?

1 Like

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Noneroone(m): 10:33am On Nov 12, 2016
samhay:

How did the insane media twisted it wen I quote the interview up dia?
why dont you quote the particular line that prompted your title
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 12, 2016
Keep wishing that Trump will fail. I remember you also said Trump would never be president. Newsflash, Mr Trump has trumped the crooked Hilary. Trump has largely been successful. He is a business that knows wealth creation. Watch how he turns America around.
Keep whining.[s]
DropShot:

Keep repeating the above every morning when you wake up.
Perhaps your sickness will be cured, pained sore loser!
[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by DropShot: 11:10am On Nov 12, 2016
Millerz:
Keep wishing that Trump will fail. I remember you also said Trump would never be president. Newsflash, Mr Trump has trumped the crooked Hilary. Trump has largely been successful. He is a business that knows wealth creation. Watch how he turns America around.
Keep whining.
IPOiDiots and lies.
Show us where I said Trump will never be president and I owe you N10k instantly.

I be Bastard Doyin Okupe?
grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 11:26am On Nov 12, 2016
Noneroone:
why dont you quote the particular line that prompted your title

1stly

Repeal means to revoke or annul

And he previously said he will repeal and replace.
Meaning he saw nothing meaningful in it,so he will replace it.

Now
To what prompted the title

Which was part of the Obama legacy

DONALD TRUMP: Yes.Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.
It is now he realise it is an asset

Interviewer was surprised she had to ask again

He responded by saying not only that one but

Shocked interviewer

His response

I hope u understand now?

How did the insane media twisted it?
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Noneroone(m): 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2016
samhay:

1stly

Repeal means to revoke or annul

And he previously said he will repeal and replace.
Meaning he saw nothing meaningful in it,so he will replace it.

Now
To what prompted the title

Which was part of the Obama legacy

DONALD TRUMP: Yes.Because it happens to be one of the strongest assets.
It is now he realise it is an asset

Interviewer was surprised she had to ask again

He responded by saying not only that one but

Shocked interviewer

His response

I hope u understand now?

How did the insane media twisted it?
the whole thing you posted is vague and doesnt clearly indicate a u turn. The media just wants him to say what they like. They should just let him be.

1 Like

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:38pm On Nov 12, 2016
MalcoImX:
The dude will be overwhelmed.He has also said that appointing special prosecutor to look into Hillary Clinton's emails isn't a priority for him.

I support him on that.
Hillary is going through a lot already
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by samhay: 1:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
Noneroone:
the whole thing you posted is vague and doesnt clearly indicate a u turn. The media just wants him to say what they like. They should just let him be.

Ok
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by VLadipo: 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2016
My comment will only make sense if this hits FP...
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by TheFreeOne: 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2016
DropShot:
cheesy grin

Here:

And in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Friday, Trump suggested he would keep elements of Obamacare after an appeal from Obama, including a provision allowing people with pre-existing conditions to get coverage and another that allows parents to keep their older kids on their policies up to the age of 26.

"I told him I will look at his suggestions, and out of respect, I will do that," Mr. Trump told the Journal
-----

Have you asked yourself why Trump mentioned high flying assets as part of what he discussed with Obama during their first meeting at the white house

The truth is Obama begged Trump not to erase his legacy.
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 12, 2016
dats dia prob

Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by DropShot: 3:18am On Nov 13, 2016
TheFreeOne:

And in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Friday, Trump suggested he would keep elements of Obamacare after an appeal from Obama, including a provision allowing people with pre-existing conditions to get coverage and another that allows parents to keep their older kids on their policies up to the age of 26.

"I told him I will look at his suggestions, and out of respect, I will do that," Mr. Trump told the Journal
-----

Have you asked yourself why Trump mentioned high flying assets as part of what he discussed with Obama during their first meeting at the white house

The truth is Obama begged Trump not to erase his legacy.
If Trump was convinced that repealing Obamacare is the best thing to do, no amount of appealing from Obama will stop him from doing so.
I not only read the news but also watched the interview clip.
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by paragon40(m): 6:50am On Nov 13, 2016
They have voted another buhari..who denied almost all his campaign pronises, they are all d same..
Re: Is Donald Trump Going Back On His Promise? by Bethelwealthy(m): 7:16am On Nov 13, 2016
A man is talking about bringing a cheaper healthcare to his people by repealing a much expensive one and people whose country and president have no health plan for are the ones criticising him. Naija, i hail o.
ok.
Meanwhile, Kindly Vote my brother TEMIDAYO, and his story, "ILLUSION", in the ETISALAT flash Fiction Award. Just a click and a like, and your vote will count. Thanks.
Here's the link. http://prize.etisalat.com.ng/flash-fiction/voteall.php?id=51

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Writes Governors, Extends Sit-at-home To 14 States - IPOB Says / FFK Replies Rochas-----okorocha Is Nothing But A Dirty, Cheap, Fat, Ugly Frog / The Full Story Of How Ex Head Of State, Murtala Mohammed Was Killed 42 Years Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.