Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,139 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day - Certification And Training Adverts - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Certification And Training Adverts / Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day (10464 Views)

GIS Training In Portharcourt / Gis Training In Porthacourt / Teenklearn Free Microsoft Excel Training - Live On Nairaland By Jimoh Okoh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2016
To mark the celebration of the International GIS day which comes up on the 16th of November 2016, I would be doing a free practical GIS training on Nairaland and other social media platform. The GIS software that would be adopted in the course of the training is the ArcGIS software.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by DjAndroid: 9:04pm On Nov 13, 2016
You did not even endeavour to tell us the laymen what GIS is.

2 Likes

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
Questions and answers about ArcGIS and GIS in general would be given and knowledge about GIS would be freely shared.
Before we go on with the training we would know some vital things, like what is GIS and areas of application of GIS.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 10:17pm On Nov 14, 2016
What is GIS
Geographic Information System (GIS) is a computer system for capturing, storing, checking and displaying data related to positions on the Earth’s surface.
It allows us to view, understand, question, interpret and visualize data in ways that reveals relationship, patterns and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports and charts. With GIS technology, people can compare the locations of different things in order to discover how they relate to each other.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2016
Applications of Geographic Information System (GIS)
GIS can be applied in numerous fields and for much purpose. The list of the application of GIS is endless, but we would choose some major applications of GIS. The uses of GIS are not limited to the list stated below.
• Survey and Geodesy
• Business and Commerce
• Real Estate
• Oil and Gas
• Land Use Planning
• Crime
• Environmental Impact Assessment
• Logistic
• Telecommunication
• Tourism
• Agriculture and Soil
• Defense and Military
• Hydrology
• Meteorology
• Land Transportation
• Maritime Transportation
• Aviation
• Forestry
• Geological Mapping
• Transmission Planning
• Disaster Risk Management
• Politics and Government
• Population Study

2 Likes

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2016
DjAndroid:
You did not even endeavour to tell us the laymen what GIS is.
Thanks, I have done that already.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:37pm On Nov 15, 2016
The Training Starts Now
Note: Every data used in this training is for training purpose only please it shouldn’t be used for any other purpose. Also the ArcGis version to be used is the ArcGis 10.1.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2016
Creating a Working Folder
The first things to do before any GIS work or project is to create a working folder which would be used to save data needed for the GIS work. For me I created a folder in my C-drive and named it Working Folder. This folder would be where my base map and other data would be saved.
The base map I would be working on is a scanned Edo state map.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2016
Launching the ArcGis Platform
If the ArcGis software is already installed in your computer, you go to the programs on your computer search for ArcMap and click on it to launch it.
Then an ArcMap getting started box would show, Click on new maps as seen in the image below.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:45pm On Nov 15, 2016
Click on Blank Map, and then click on Ok. The view would be seen blank as this.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by saxwizard(m): 11:47pm On Nov 15, 2016
continue but am a novice will i be able to catch up

1 Like

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:48pm On Nov 15, 2016
Adding the First Data (The Base Map)
Click on the Add icon on the launched software.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:53pm On Nov 15, 2016
Then Click on Connect to Folder to connect to the created working folder.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:55pm On Nov 15, 2016
Then search for the folder been worked with and where the Data needed is. Select the folder and Click Ok.
Then select the Base map (Edo state) and click Add.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 11:58pm On Nov 15, 2016
Then Click Yes on the Create Pyramid box

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 12:01am On Nov 16, 2016
Then click Ok on the next box

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 12:02am On Nov 16, 2016
Then we have successfully added the Base Map.
We then save the work in our working folder.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 12:07am On Nov 16, 2016
saxwizard:
continue but am a novice will i be able to catch up
Yes, but if there is any issue please ask questions for me and others in the field of GIS to provide answers.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 6:26am On Nov 16, 2016
GIS Day
Good morning, today 16th November marks another GIS day celebration which is celebrated worldwide. This day is meant to discover and explore the benefit of GIS, Showcase the uses of GIS and to promote GIS.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 6:29am On Nov 16, 2016
Endeavour to attend a GIS Day event near you to participate in conferences to mark the celebration. To know the nearest GIS Day event to you visit www.gisday.com.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:41pm On Nov 27, 2016
Sorry for the long silence. Would try to update regularly.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:48pm On Nov 27, 2016
Selecting the Coordinate System
The coordinate system I would use in this training is the WGS 1984 UTM Zone 32N and it’s based on the region of the work.
In selecting the coordinate system, we would click on view.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:43am On Nov 28, 2016
Then we click on Data Frame Properties, and click on Projected Coordinate System.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:45am On Nov 28, 2016
Click on UTM and then WGS 1984.

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2016
Next we click on Northern Hemisphere and then select WGS 1984 UTM Zone 32N

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 9:46am On Nov 28, 2016
Then click on apply and ok.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 7:36pm On Nov 28, 2016
Georeferencing
Before you georeference make sure the georeferencing toolbar is already selected, if not, go to customize toolbar and then select georeferencing.
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2016
To georeference, zoom to the upper left edge of the map and search for a crossing of a longitude and latitude.
Now create a point on this cross by clicking on the Add Control Points.

2 Likes

Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by adeshina84(m): 7:51am On Dec 01, 2016
Pls don't stop the training
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by adeshina84(m): 7:52am On Dec 01, 2016
MosesIgb:
To georeference, zoom to the upper left edge of the map and search for a crossing of a longitude and latitude.
Now create a point on this cross by clicking on the Add Control Points.
kindly continue
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by mayorbaron(m): 3:46pm On Dec 01, 2016
how can i get the software plsss
Re: Free GIS Training On Nairaland To Mark The Forth Coming GIS Day by MosesIgb(m): 4:30am On Dec 07, 2016
adeshina84:
kindly continue
Been busy since, but i would try out of my busy schedule to continue the training.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Project Management Training In Nigeria / Automation (PLC/SCADA/HMI) Training Live In Nigeria / Ats/ican Training Center

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.