Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them (4540 Views)

What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces / Difference Between Successful And Unsuccessful People (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by YankzyBonny(m): 1:12pm On Nov 15, 2016
Hi vs Hello
You have probably heard many English-speaking people say “hello” and “hi” to other people. These wordsare greetings, or exclamations, that you say when you first see someone. The difference between these two forms of greeting is in formality: they mean the same thing, but “hello” is more formal than “hi.” Let’s look at the definitions of “hello” first and then talk about when to use each word.
Hello is pronounced /həˈloʊ/ and hi is pronounced /haɪ/; both are nouns and exclamations. This is how the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary defines “hello”:
“used as a greeting when you meet somebody, when you answer the telephone or when you want to attract somebody’s attention.”
So there are three ways to use “hello”: 1) when you see someone, 2) when you answer the phone (pick up the phone and say “hello?”), and 3) to get someone’s attention.
Plural: “hellos”
Collocations: “Hello, [name of person],” [to say] hello to [somebody],” “[to exchange] hellos.”
Sample sentences:
Hello, Jane! Nice to see you.
On the phone: Hello? Who is this?
Please say hello to Jack for me and tell him I’m sorry I couldn’t come to the party.
Sam and Sue exchanged hellos and smiled at each other.
From across the room: Hello, Sam! How are you?
“used to show that you are surprised by something” (British English).
Sample sentences:
Hello?! What happened here?
“used to show that you think somebody has said something stupid or is not paying attention” (informal).
Sample sentences:
Hello, whydid you do that? What were you thinking?
Hello! Are you even listening to me?
Some formal synonyms for saying “hello” are “greetings,” “good morning/afternoon/evening” (depending on the time of day), “good day,” and “nice to meet/see you.” Both “hello” and “hi” are too informal to use in letters and emails; use something like “Dear [name]” instead.
English speakers generally use “hello” and “hi” at the beginning of a conversation. The greeting is often followed by a short, vague conversation before the main topic is addressed. Such a conversation might go like this:
Jane: “Hello, Jim. It’s nice to see you.”
Jim: “Hi, Jane. Nice to see you, too. How are you doing?”
Jane: “I am fine, thanks. How are you?”
Jim: “I am pretty well.”
A more formal conversation using “hello,” perhaps one between an employer (“boss”) and employee (“James”), might go like this:
Boss: “Hello, James. How are you this morning?”
James: “Good morning, Mr. Smith. I am well, thank you. How are you doing?”
Boss: “I am fine, thanks.”
Notice in this conversation how the employee (James), uses an even more formal greeting than “hello” – he says “good morning” to his boss and also uses the full form “thank you.” The boss is a bit less formal, using “hello” and “thanks” because he has more authorityin the relationship.
It can be a little bit difficult to know when to say “hi” and when to say “hello” or something even more formal. In general, keep in mind that “hi” is informal and you should use it only with people whom you already know, such as acquaintances, friends, and family. Do not say “hi” to someone you are meetingfor the first time. When in doubt, say “hello.”
http://www.differencebetween.net/language/words-language/difference-between-hi-and-hello/
Hello #Idyllwhizz

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Kxngstein(m): 1:17pm On Nov 15, 2016
enlightening

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by ybalogs(m): 1:30pm On Nov 15, 2016
No difference jooor.
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Sugarcious(m): 1:33pm On Nov 15, 2016
ybalogs:
No difference jooor.
One illiterate spotted

10 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by holatin(m): 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2016
Tanx 4 d lecture but op u don belleful ooo
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by ybalogs(m): 1:51pm On Nov 15, 2016
Sugarcious:

One illiterate spotted
I won't want to risk being banned cos of you.Ode elemu.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Sirmuel1(m): 6:25pm On Nov 15, 2016
Sugarcious:

One illiterate spotted

ybalogs:

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Nobody: 7:32pm On Nov 15, 2016
hell'o...inhabitant of hell?
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Libkid(m): 7:38pm On Nov 15, 2016
ybalogs:

R.I.p English
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by BrainnewsNg(f): 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2016
Sugarcious:

One illiterate spotted
Hahahahaahhaahaahahahaha
Really?
Lalasticlala
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Nobody: 9:31pm On Nov 15, 2016
Hmm... Nice.
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by LaClickLaBend: 12:35am On Nov 16, 2016
this long post just to tell us Hi is informal and Hello could be used in Formal situations.
Sigh

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by goingape1: 1:26am On Nov 16, 2016
YankzyBonny:
Hi vs Hello
You have probably heard many English-speaking people say “hello” and “hi” to other people. These wordsare greetings, or exclamations, that you say when you first see someone. The difference between these two forms of greeting is in formality: they mean the same thing, but “hello” is more formal than “hi.” Let’s look at the definitions of “hello” first and then talk about when to use each word.
Hello is pronounced /həˈloʊ/ and hi is pronounced /haɪ/; both are nouns and exclamations. This is how the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary defines “hello”:
“used as a greeting when you meet somebody, when you answer the telephone or when you want to attract somebody’s attention.”
So there are three ways to use “hello”: 1) when you see someone, 2) when you answer the phone (pick up the phone and say “hello?”), and 3) to get someone’s attention.
Plural: “hellos”
Collocations: “Hello, [name of person],” [to say] hello to [somebody],” “[to exchange] hellos.”
Sample sentences:
Hello, Jane! Nice to see you.
On the phone: Hello? Who is this?
Please say hello to Jack for me and tell him I’m sorry I couldn’t come to the party.
Sam and Sue exchanged hellos and smiled at each other.
From across the room: Hello, Sam! How are you?
“used to show that you are surprised by something” (British English).
Sample sentences:
Hello?! What happened here?
“used to show that you think somebody has said something stupid or is not paying attention” (informal).
Sample sentences:
Hello, whydid you do that? What were you thinking?
Hello! Are you even listening to me?
Some formal synonyms for saying “hello” are “greetings,” “good morning/afternoon/evening” (depending on the time of day), “good day,” and “nice to meet/see you.” Both “hello” and “hi” are too informal to use in letters and emails; use something like “Dear [name]” instead.
English speakers generally use “hello” and “hi” at the beginning of a conversation. The greeting is often followed by a short, vague conversation before the main topic is addressed. Such a conversation might go like this:
Jane: “Hello, Jim. It’s nice to see you.”
Jim: “Hi, Jane. Nice to see you, too. How are you doing?”
Jane: “I am fine, thanks. How are you?”
Jim: “I am pretty well.”
A more formal conversation using “hello,” perhaps one between an employer (“boss”) and employee (“James”), might go like this:
Boss: “Hello, James. How are you this morning?”
James: “Good morning, Mr. Smith. I am well, thank you. How are you doing?”
Boss: “I am fine, thanks.”
Notice in this conversation how the employee (James), uses an even more formal greeting than “hello” – he says “good morning” to his boss and also uses the full form “thank you.” The boss is a bit less formal, using “hello” and “thanks” because he has more authorityin the relationship.
It can be a little bit difficult to know when to say “hi” and when to say “hello” or something even more formal. In general, keep in mind that “hi” is informal and you should use it only with people whom you already know, such as acquaintances, friends, and family. Do not say “hi” to someone you are meetingfor the first time. When in doubt, say “hello.”
http://www.differencebetween.net/language/words-language/difference-between-hi-and-hello/
Hello #Idyllwhizz
HI
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by chukxie(m): 2:22am On Nov 16, 2016
Libkid:
R.I.p English

Would you be kind enough to tell what's wrong with the sentence you wrote "R.I.P English"? I'm just curious. Thanks.
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by recievesense: 6:29am On Nov 16, 2016
chukxie:

Would you be kind enough and tell what's wrong with the sentence you wrote "R.I.P English"? I'm just curious. Thanks.

Abeg u re damaging English the more.
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by bankyblue(m): 7:22am On Nov 16, 2016
goingape1:
HI

U must be related to trump.........u quoted all the page to say HI!
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by chukxie(m): 10:58am On Nov 16, 2016
recievesense:

Abeg u re damaging English the more.

I'm learning, sir. I'm not ashamed to say so. So, please, tell me why you thought that sentence that that person wrote was wrong. Who knows I might learn a thing or two from you. Thanks, sir!
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by BerryAnny(m): 11:25am On Nov 16, 2016
Sugarcious:

One illiterate spotted

Yhu know dem dude... Dem neva learn buh if nah 4 doze yeyebrities post,dey will b d 1st 2 4low d thread...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Efisko1(m): 1:50pm On Nov 16, 2016
Sugarcious:

One illiterate spotted

U hash grin
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Fidelismaria: 6:38pm On Nov 16, 2016
HOW bout when chating online which shud b used
Re: Difference Between Hi And Hello and How,When And Where To Use Them by Idyllwhizz(m): 6:09pm On Dec 10, 2016
goingape1:
HI
how are you doing?

(1) (Reply)

Elizabeth Foundation Empowers Orphans With Education Scholarship / List Of Courses You Must Not Study In Nigeria / Jamb 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.