Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree (9902 Views)

7 Types Of Boss You Will Meet And How To Handle Them / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss / Signs You’re Too Close To Your Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by AyoyinkaOlutuyi: 7:07pm On Nov 15, 2016
Virtually every workplace has a variety of personalities, work styles and cultures, so disagreements are inevitable.

Disagreeing with your boss might not happen often, but when you feel the need to voice your opinion about an issue, it’s always wise to do it respectfully.

Depending on the working relationship you have with your boss, you might use an informal approach to express your disagreement.

However, no matter how comfortable your relationship is with your boss, it’s still up to you to remain respectful.

Ask for a private meeting with your boss to discuss the issues on which you disagree

Refrain from publicly disagreeing with your boss if the issue involves a personal matter, such as an employment decision. When you vehemently disagree with your boss, a private sit-down is the best way to resolve things. For example, if you disagree with your boss about her decision to give you a written warning about poor attendance, discuss it in a private setting and not during a staff meeting or when other employees are present.

State the topic on which you disagree and explain your position in an articulate and reserved manner

Even if the matter you can’t agree on is one that you’re passionate about, avoid showing emotions. Refrain from using inflammatory or accusatory language. Whenever possible or appropriate, provide solutions to resolving the disagreement — don’t just complain for the sake of complaining. For example, if you disagree with your boss about a work process, explain what you think is wrong with the process he’s developed. Then offer suggestions for improving the process, and provide concrete and rational reasons why you think your method may be better.

Enlist the support of your co-workers when the issue you disagree on affects the department or your team

Ask your boss for a meeting during which you and your co-workers can discuss the matter in a forum that will allow for candid feedback and employee input. Tell your boss ahead of time that you will be joined by other employees so she won’t be blindsided by a group of employees who collectively disagree with her.

Encourage your boss to give you feedback during the conversation

A productive conversation isn’t one-sided; you need two-way feedback to resolve issues in the workplace. Choose your words carefully, but be honest about why you disagree with your boss and keep your tone and demeanor non-confrontational to make your point more effectively. Organize your thoughts so you can convey your message in a way that firmly states your position or convinces your boss that your disagreement is based on improving the workplace.

http://theinsiderng.com/respectfully-disagree-boss/

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by herzern1(m): 7:04am On Nov 16, 2016

Who qives a Fu¢k about boss' businesses.....??

He makes larqe amount and qive out token to workers....

7 Likes

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by arma: 7:05am On Nov 16, 2016
So person first me abi?
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by hizzyairtel(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
Chaii!

When I don dey eye FTC

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by holatin(m): 7:07am On Nov 16, 2016
Remembered a boss of mine wey go dey down, cum dey dictate ow i should do a work on a 5 storey building scaffolding, d man go dey shout instruction 4 ground and disagreeing on what he no see or know.
Na so i vex, shouted back say oga shey o ma wa gun oke (boss maybe you should climb up) and dem no born am well. He is fat like wtf.
If e climb, na RIP be dat

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Twizzy30(m): 7:11am On Nov 16, 2016
Who is the Boss when you are self employed. Am +1 today. Show me some love brethren. cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by SafeDavid(m): 7:13am On Nov 16, 2016
Do you wanna risk getting fired? grin
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by iykedare(m): 7:16am On Nov 16, 2016
Lol
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by DozieInc(m): 7:18am On Nov 16, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by jamieb74(m): 7:31am On Nov 16, 2016
some boss ehn...I reserve my comment
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 16, 2016
holatin:
Remember a boss of mine, wey go dey down cum dey dictate ow i should do a work on a 5 storey building scaffolding, d man go dey shout instruction 4 ground and disagreeing on what he no see or know.
Na so i vex, shouted back say oga shey o ma wa gun oke (boss maybe you should climb up) and dem no born am well. He is fat like wtf.
If e climb, na rip be dat

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by chuka5000(m): 7:48am On Nov 16, 2016
u better keep quiet and let him enjoy his bossness
if not you are O. Y. O

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by royalfamily(m): 8:33am On Nov 16, 2016
Am becoming a boss of my own soonest so am gonna take Note of all this and know which of my Employyee that Visited nairaland Often.
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Seuncoded(f): 8:59am On Nov 16, 2016
AyoyinkaOlutuyi:
Virtually every workplace has a variety of personalities, work styles and cultures, so disagreements are inevitable.

Disagreeing with your boss might not happen often, but when you feel the need to voice your opinion about an issue, it’s always wise to do it respectfully.

Depending on the working relationship you have with your boss, you might use an informal approach to express your disagreement.

However, no matter how comfortable your relationship is with your boss, it’s still up to you to remain respectful.

Ask for a private meeting with your boss to discuss the issues on which you disagree

Refrain from publicly disagreeing with your boss if the issue involves a personal matter, such as an employment decision. When you vehemently disagree with your boss, a private sit-down is the best way to resolve things. For example, if you disagree with your boss about her decision to give you a written warning about poor attendance, discuss it in a private setting and not during a staff meeting or when other employees are present.

State the topic on which you disagree and explain your position in an articulate and reserved manner

Even if the matter you can’t agree on is one that you’re passionate about, avoid showing emotions. Refrain from using inflammatory or accusatory language. Whenever possible or appropriate, provide solutions to resolving the disagreement — don’t just complain for the sake of complaining. For example, if you disagree with your boss about a work process, explain what you think is wrong with the process he’s developed. Then offer suggestions for improving the process, and provide concrete and rational reasons why you think your method may be better.

Enlist the support of your co-workers when the issue you disagree on affects the department or your team

Ask your boss for a meeting during which you and your co-workers can discuss the matter in a forum that will allow for candid feedback and employee input. Tell your boss ahead of time that you will be joined by other employees so she won’t be blindsided by a group of employees who collectively disagree with her.

Encourage your boss to give you feedback during the conversation

A productive conversation isn’t one-sided; you need two-way feedback to resolve issues in the workplace. Choose your words carefully, but be honest about why you disagree with your boss and keep your tone and demeanor non-confrontational to make your point more effectively. Organize your thoughts so you can convey your message in a way that firmly states your position or convinces your boss that your disagreement is based on improving the workplace.

http://theinsiderng.com/respectfully-disagree-boss/
Thanks
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by peace4marvic(f): 9:22am On Nov 16, 2016
Twizzy30:
Who is the Boss when you are self employed. Am +1 today. Show me some love brethren. cool

Happy Birthday
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 16, 2016
just say NO !
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 16, 2016
jamieb74:
some boss ehn...I reserve my comment
walahi ! I don't even have time yo argue na resignation letter straight once the matter don pass garri.
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Twizzy30(m): 10:05am On Nov 16, 2016
peace4marvic:

Happy Birthday
Thanks, I really appreciate
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Originalsly: 11:12am On Nov 16, 2016
The boss is always right. Unless is about your salary.... or you know the boss is open to criticism... you can raise your disagreement with him... if not keep your thoughts to yourself if your really need that job.
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by dhurlarpur(m): 11:32am On Nov 16, 2016
My boss gives room for criticism, he likes when he's been called to attention on issues. And this post is so helpful especially not disagreeing openly.
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by sbenjy(m): 1:32pm On Nov 16, 2016
chuka5000:
u better keep quiet and let him enjoy his bossness

if not you are O. Y. O
Except maybe you've gotten a job at tomtom

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by sbenjy(m): 1:38pm On Nov 16, 2016
sbenjy:

Except maybe you've gotten a job at tomtom
A boss once told me that i can not tell look at this thing. To him it means i am indirectly telling him he is blind.

The 48 Laws of Power: Law 1: Never Outshine The Master

1 Like

Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by Akinaukwa: 2:02pm On Nov 16, 2016
Before you approach your boss study him wella wella oh! I remember the boss i had then, whatever you tell him is totally unacceptable but when the same suggestion or comment is done by the lady friend he was dating amongst us, he doesnt blink his eyes before consenting and approving. Infact he believes he makes no mistake and knows all, so if you need his attention you must go through the lady who herself lacks administrative know how.
Re: How To Tell Your Boss You Disagree by eremy: 3:18pm On Nov 16, 2016
RentALodge:
If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school: We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria. With RentALodge.ng, you can be more than just a student. You are trained, given the opportunity to earn and exposed to the latest scholarship opportunities available to undergraduates

We are recruiting students in all schools. Send tailored CV to Recruitments@RentALodge.ng

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Employees Leave Your Business / Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? / Tax Experts, How Much Is He Supposed To Receive At The End Of The Month?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.