Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,129 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Oil Shortage On Honda Civic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Shortage On Honda Civic (1316 Views)

Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage / Tesla Is Causing Battery Shortage Worldwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 12:34pm On Nov 16, 2016
Hello car gurus,

I have a Honda civic 99. Since March this year when I bought the car, I've been topping the engine oil when I travel for a distance more than 200km.

I've managed to live with that but I'm afraid what might happen when I have a longer journey. So I want to fix this issue please.

I'm using Total Quartz 5000 and I read online that it's okay for cars made before 2005. I don't mind switching to synthetic mobil 1 if that's not correct.

My mechanic recommend doing rings on the engine but I'm afraid if it might have some side effects on performance or engine sound, as I will be changing the car next year and need it to have some second hand value.

Another issue is the cost, if I am going to spend around 20k for rings, I'll prefer to have the engine changed for less than 100k.

I'm just confused on what to do and will like to get some advice.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by mokset123: 12:43pm On Nov 16, 2016
My advice, buy a new engine
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 3:40pm On Nov 16, 2016
mokset123:

Noted. Thank you sir.
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2016
mokset123:

Noted. Thank you sir.
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:43pm On Nov 16, 2016
new engine. (toks)

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by sultaan(m): 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2016
Do you have a oil leak or not. If you seen engine oil on any part of the engine fix that first and always check with your dipstick
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 9:53pm On Nov 16, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
new engine. (toks)

Thank you sir, very much appreciate your advice. Will change the engine ASAP.
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 10:04pm On Nov 16, 2016
sultaan:
Do you have a oil leak or not. If you seen engine oil on any part of the engine fix that first and always check with your dipstick

No leak at all, I've checked that several times. Thank you.
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 1:07pm On Nov 22, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
new engine. (toks)

Sir, which oil grade should I use on the engine? There's no indication on the cap or any part of the engine.

Thank you
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by sultaan(m): 2:56pm On Nov 22, 2016
For 1999 it should be safe to say 5w30 or 10w30 engine oil
Re: Oil Shortage On Honda Civic by iphoneloaded(m): 4:26pm On Nov 22, 2016
sultaan:
For 1999 it should be safe to say 5w30 or 10w30 engine oil

Thank you. They were recommending Total 20w50 here in the garage. I'll look for Mobil 5w30

(1) (Reply)

This Kia Sinaan's Design Is Out Of This Century (photos) / See US Donald Trump's Brand New Presidential Armoured Beast Limousine / Toyota Ws Atf In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.