Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,063 members, 7,810,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria (668 Views)

Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions / Sorry State of Education in Nigeria / See The Sorry State Of This Primary School In Zamfara: Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 2:21pm On Nov 16, 2016
This is coming at a time when Nigerians are
exporting religion and superstitions to the rest
of the world; when our so called "men of God"
assert that the cures for diseases are to be
found in prayer houses rather than
laboratories; when our universities have
become the birthing places of pastors and
imams; when we have become accustomed to
pastors making extraordinary claims such as
driving cars on empty tanks and resurrecting
the dead; when the medieval belief in
witchcraft and the practice of witch-hunting
are ever so pervasive; when jihadists are
engaged in a campaign of terror to spread
sharia. I can go on and on.
A university is a place of enquiry and
enlightenment but every year, impressionable
young minds arrive on our university
campuses hoping to be nurtured in the art
and science of enquiry, the tool by which all
progressive societies have advanced
themselves; but instead, a great percentage of
their university time is taken up by religious
activities such as prayer meetings, night
vigils, evangelism and so on, the result of
which is that our universities have effectively
become places for nurturing religious beliefs,
superstitions and other fantastical ideas.
Every year, our universities graduate people
who teach and/or think that prayers can cure
diseases, move the economy forward, fix our
bad roads, choose good leaders etc. Rather
than spend money on laboratories and
research, our governments, persuaded by the
belief in the efficacy of prayers, choose to
build mosques and churches, and sponsor
pilgrimages to Mecca and Jerusalem. The cure
for malaria is in the laboratory, not mosques
or churches. Some of our best minds abandon
their original degrees and become peddlers of
false hope, enriching themselves in the
process.
If they lived up to their purpose, by now, one
would expect our universities would have
churned out generations of youth who are
skeptics and critical thinkers. Sadly, that is
not the case. Instead, we have science
graduates who believe that cars can run on
empty tanks (recall Pastor Adeboye and his
famed journey from Ore to Lagos on an empty
tank); that prayers routinely cure patients of
diseases such as cancer, stroke, diabetes,
Ebola, HIV/AIDS; that prayers can even
resurrect the dead; that university
examinations can be passed by anointing
books, pencils, pens and other study materials
with holy water, olive oil or handkerchiefs.
These pastors (and imams) have corrupted our
way of thinking.
Does anyone still doubt, then, that
superstitions and religion are the reins that
hold back the progress of Nigeria, and the
rest of Africa? No society with such deeply
entrenched beliefs can expect to find cures
for HIV, Malaria, Ebola, or to land robots on
comets. It is this type of societies that
habitually rely on foreign aid. Such societies
do not innovate - at best, they borrow or pay
for technology.
I think that universities should be somewhere
that people go, to not only acquire job skills
but to also acquire the facility for critical and
analytical thinking, and skepticism. By the
time people have graduated from university,
they should have shed off a considerable
burden of ignorance and superstitions.
If we were to ever land robots on comets,
then we must start with a change of mindset
and attitudes. Superstitions will never get us
anywhere productive. The current methods of
instruction in our universities are no longer
fit for purpose. Frankly, I have more faith in
the social media as an instrument of change
than in them. And make no mistakes, it will
take a while until this damage is reversed
because even university lecturers hold these
preposterous beliefs and have no qualms in
openly declaring them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 2:27pm On Nov 16, 2016
Article by Ijabla Raymond
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 2:29pm On Nov 16, 2016
kingebukasblog Hardmirror Stephendamsoho , EyeHateGod , FearGodAndLive , LenyCool, Kevoh , Deicide , 4kings , aaronson, ColdHardTruth, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, Plaetton , ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317, Johnydon22, muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theonejabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer , Stephendamsoho OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4everGod1, Adrenaline123, seun lalasticlala Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, winner01, Goddys Contact17, naijababe, Ranchhoddas, Omooba77 Wilgrea7 henrimoto jammy12
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 2:33pm On Nov 16, 2016
So, in essence...?

We should stop worshiping GOD?

Have dedicated Christians not graduated from the university with first class/distinctions?

Can you prove that Christians don't invest in and even lead medical/scientific researches which can better the life of man?

So our universities can be graded efficient/productive if they churn out large masses of skeptics every year? Is that the yardstick for measuring the success of our universities?

How will belief in GOD prevent us from landing a robot on a comet?

And how can belief in GOD prevent us from finding cures to HIV, ebola and Malaria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by Wilgrea7(m): 2:47pm On Nov 16, 2016
Just like what doctoralien said, being a Christian doesn't stop you from finding cures to diseases or leading science.. i don't have much to add. he has said it all. no one ever said you must attend all fellowship meetings and all prayer meetings in your campus to be considered a Christian/muslim. you can achieve any scientific breakthrough you want.. God never said don't go to school or make sure you attend all fellowships or pack all your money and build a church for me.. so please.. stop assuming.. thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 3:24pm On Nov 16, 2016
DoctorAlien:
So, in essence...?

We should stop worshiping GOD?

Have dedicated Christians not graduated from the university with first class/distinctions?

Can you prove that Christians don't invest in and even lead medical/scientific researches which can better the life of man?

So our universities can be graded efficient/productive if they churn out large masses of skeptics every year? Is that the yardstick for measuring the success of our universities?

How will belief in GOD prevent us from landing a robot on a comet?

And how can belief in GOD prevent us from finding cures to HIV, ebola and Malaria?
Not belief in God BT rather belief in superstition. When u find doctors referring a sick person to traditionalists or diagnosing schizophrenia patients as witches then u know something is wrong. The problem is nt being a Christian or Muslim, the problem comes from belief is ridiculous superstition. Johnydon22 wrote a similar article. Maybe he'll provide a link.
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 3:35pm On Nov 16, 2016
theoneJabulani:
Not belief in God BT rather belief in superstition. When u find doctors referring a sick person to traditionalists or diagnosing schizophrenia patients as witches then u know something is wrong. The problem is nt being a Christian or Muslim, the problem comes from belief is ridiculous superstition. Johnydon22 wrote a similar article. Maybe he'll provide a link.

A medical doctor not being able to diagnose schizophrenia amounts to incompetence. The presence or absence of superstition does not affect it. An incompetent atheist doctor can also not be able to diagnose schizophrenia. That a doctor believes that a goat can turn into an ant does not make him less competent than the doctor who does not believe such a thing.

Meanwhile, what do you recommend should be done with a patient when no cause/cure can be found his/her ailment which can make him/her any better?
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 3:45pm On Nov 16, 2016
DoctorAlien:

A medical doctor not being able to diagnose schizophrenia amounts to incompetence. The presence or absence of superstition does not affect it. An incompetent atheist doctor can also not be able to diagnose schizophrenia. That a doctor believes that a goat can turn i nto an ant does not make him less competent than the doctor who does not believe such a thing.

Meanwhile, what do you recommend should be done with a patient when no cause/cure can be found his/her ailment which can make him/her any better?
Exactly, incompetence not witchcraft or the supernatural. For now all ailments and illnesses under the sky have either a cure or prevention. For example HIV has no cure as of yet BT it can be fully prevented. A full qualified medical doctor referring a patient to a babalowo show incompetence and should be stripped of his license
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by DoctorAlien(m): 3:53pm On Nov 16, 2016
theoneJabulani:
Exactly, incompetence not witchcraft or the supernatural. For now all ailments and illnesses under the sky have either a cure or prevention. For example HIV has no cure as of yet BT it can be fully prevented. A full qualified medical doctor referring a patient to a babalowo show incompetence and should be stripped of his license

You failed to answer the question I asked you: what do you want to be done with patients whom no cause/cure can for their diseases/ailments which can make them any better?
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 3:58pm On Nov 16, 2016
DoctorAlien:

You failed to answer the question I asked you: what do you want to be done with patients whom no cause/cure can for their diseases/ailments which can make them any better?
I replied u, to every illness as of now, there is either a cure or a cause if now both. And if a new mysterious illness crops up, trust that science will find an answer as soon as possible
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by Wilgrea7(m): 9:32am On Nov 17, 2016
theoneJabulani:
I replied u, to every illness as of now, there is either a cure or a cause if now both. And if a new mysterious illness crops up, trust that science will find an answer as soon as possible

i beg to differ to this... let me name common and popular illnesses....
1. HIV
2. EBOLA
3.CANCER.

have doctors found any cure to these diseases?? if you claim they have then why aren't the drugs available to areas affected with them.. remember.. i said CURE... meaning to remove the sickness entirely.. not a bunch of drugs to help the person manage living with the sickness for the rest of his/her life.

believe you me... science has its limits... if you claim it doesn't, then like all atheists say.. “PROVE IT"
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 1:38pm On Nov 17, 2016
Wilgrea7:

i beg to differ to this... let me name common and popular illnesses....
1. HIV
2. EBOLA
3.CANCER.

have doctors found any cure to these diseases?? if you claim they have then why aren't the drugs available to areas affected with them.. remember.. i said CURE... meaning to remove the sickness entirely.. not a bunch of drugs to help the person manage living with the sickness for the rest of his/her life.

believe you me... science has its limits... if you. claim it doesn't, then like all atheists say.. “PROVE IT"
Can't u read? I said every ailment has either a cure or a cause, if not both. HIV doesn't have a cure yet BT we know how it infects humans, same with Ebola and cancer.

1 Like

Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by amicable09(f): 3:54pm On Nov 17, 2016
I was going to contribute but I see the thread has gone beyond the topic at hand to a battle field cheesy

Eku fighting!
Re: Superstitions And The Sorry State Of Tertiary Education In Nigeria by theoneJabulani(m): 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2016
amicable09:
I was going to contribute but I see the thread has gone beyond the topic at hand to a battle field cheesy

Eku fighting!
lollll

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

THE PLACE OF PRAGMATISM IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENT - Term Paper / Solar And Inverter Training In Port Harcourt / IMSU Acceptance Fee Payment For 2016/2017 Has Commenced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.