Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

World Chess Championship - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / World Chess Championship (942 Views)

A Ugandan Teenage Girl Has Won The Women's World Chess Title / Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia / World Chess Championship Magnus Carlsen V Sergey Karjakin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 5:08pm On Nov 16, 2016
Anybody following the on going World Chess Championship going on in New York between GM Magnus Carlsen and Gm Sergey Karjakin? The match is currently tied at 2-2 after consecutive 4 draws. Games 3 and 4 were exhilarating with Carlsen (current world champion and highest rated player ever) took initiative but haven't been able to make Karjakin cave in.
Chess lovers and enthusiasts world over can follow live games online real time at the official website or www.2700chess.com/live or other sites airing the match.
Gens Una Sumus!

1 Like

Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 8:40am On Nov 17, 2016
Today, round 5 hostilities begin at 1900 GMT after rest day two. Carlsen will be playing with the white pieces against Kerjakin and we hopefully await the first win and lose of this epic match between friends turned foe (albeit for a while). By this time last year, when Carlsen first defended his title against the same man he usurped, Anand, we had already witnessed a couple of wins by the world champion. This time it's different though as he is faced with a much younger opponent (much younger than Anand though older than he) who is ready to fight to the end.
Most of the games thus far have been the Ruy Lopez opening of diverse variations. Carlsen is known for deviating from proven theories thereby conceding opening advantage most times but he's a beast in mid and end game play. Games 3 & 4 he was adjudged by chess engines as losing in the opening but had considerable advantages in the mid game through the entire games. At a point he had a -1.46 advantage as black in game 4, meaning with perfect play, he's supposed to win. Yeah, he drew, so he's still human after all.
Well, it's a twelve round match of which the feat of defeat will have to be a burden to either of them in the long run.
Enjoy game 5.
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 7:22pm On Nov 18, 2016
Game 5 was a little short of fireworks as club players would say. But to the professionals, it was highly tactical, yet it ended honours shared. We look forward to Game 6 in a few minutes time in which Karjakin will be playing the white pieces against a Carlsen who attacks from both sides of the board.
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 8:21pm On Nov 18, 2016
Game 6 begins with Karjakin opting for the e4 opening and Carlsen responding with double edged Marshall gambit attack as black. We're in for a treat tonight methinks.

1 Like

Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 1:15am On Nov 22, 2016
breakthrough
Re: World Chess Championship by Richirich713: 8:39am On Nov 22, 2016
Carlsen lost shocked , 4 games left to go

1 Like

Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 9:40am On Nov 23, 2016
Yeah, it's no longer news that Carlsen lost. The reason is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf!
He was listening to the bored audience and tried to force a win out of dead drawn position not knowing that that puppy faced Karjakin could also bite. Today is game 9 and Carlsen will be playing black and hopefully pull out a surprise.
Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 10:37am On Nov 23, 2016
Ifebazz:
Yeah, it's no longer news that Carlsen lost. The reason is visible to the blind and audible to the deaf!
He was listening to the bored audience and tried to force a win out of dead drawn position not knowing that that puppy faced Karjakin could also bite. Today is game 9 and Carlsen will be playing black and hopefully pull out a surprise.
He lost because on the day he was the worst player.
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 5:44pm On Nov 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
He lost because on the day he was the worst player.
Nah, I totally disagree. If you saw his press conference, he said "no more draws henceforth". That game up until he made Qc6 was totally drawn. He was just trying to deviate from the norm, trying to spark things up. You win some, lose some. I believe he can bounce back from that defeat.
Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ifebazz:

Nah, I totally disagree. If you saw his press conference, he said "no more draws henceforth". That game up until he made Qc6 was totally drawn. He was just trying to deviate from the norm, trying to spark things up. You win some, lose some. I believe he can bounce back from that defeat.
You are entitled to your opinion but in sport all sport the better player on the day wins. On the day the best player will not "Deviate from the norm" .On those days when any player wins any game or sport he was better on that day it cannot be changed. Carlsen may win very single game in the future but on 21/11/2016 he was not the better player and that can never be changed. We can put it down to diarrhoea or low blood sugar or marine spirits it is irrelevant.He was not the better player in that time frame
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 7:52pm On Nov 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
You are entitled to your opinion but in sport all sport the better player on the day wins. On the day the best player will not "Deviate from the norm" .On those days when any player wins any game or sport he was better on that day it cannot be changed. Carlsen may win very single game in the future but on 21/11/2016 he was not the better player and that can never be changed. We can put it down to diarrhoea or low blood sugar or marine spirits it is irrelevant.He was not the better player in that time frame
Hahaha... I get your drift dude. But chess, is not like every other or any other sports. It's unique and need I say, devoid of the 'luck' factor. Hence the rating system clearly defines who is better than the other. Carlsen is almost a hundred points ahead of Karjakin. Yes, he lost 'a game' to him, but the match is still on. Even after the match and he still loses, Carlsen will still remain the highest EVER rated chess player to have walked this earth. Even above the famous Kasparov, Fischer, Alekhine or Tal. Carlsen is the greatest!
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 7:54pm On Nov 23, 2016
Round 9 starts in a few minutes, keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to see a great game today.
Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 8:00pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ifebazz:

Hahaha... I get your drift dude. But chess, is not like every other or any other sports. It's unique and need I say, devoid of the 'luck' factor. Hence the rating system clearly defines who is better than the other. Carlsen is almost a hundred points ahead of Karjakin. Yes, he lost 'a game' to him, but the match is still on. Even after the match and he still loses, Carlsen will still remain the highest EVER rated chess player to have walked this earth. Even above the famous Kasparov, Fischer, Alekhine or Tal. Carlsen is the greatest!
but Karjakin was the better player on 21/11/2016 ,I don't know book
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 8:04pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ruy-Lopez seems to be the most popular opening at the highest level of chess these days. Seems theory have been exhausted on Sicilian as it where. Game 9 is yet another Ruy Lopez. Enjoy.
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 8:05pm On Nov 23, 2016
omonnakoda:
but Karjakin was the better player on 21/11/2016 ,I don't know book
I hear sir.
Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 8:09pm On Nov 23, 2016
Ifebazz:

I hear sir.
That was all I said, every day is different, the better player is the player who is better on most days .At the top level no player is better everyday in any competive activity . The team that wins the league cannot beat everyone all the time
Re: World Chess Championship by omonnakoda: 2:56pm On Nov 24, 2016
Carlsen looks very human now
Re: World Chess Championship by Ifebazz(m): 6:51pm On Nov 25, 2016
Finally, following the drama of Game 8 that Karjakin ultimately won, Carlsen have pulled out the rabbit out of the hat to win Game 10 and keep hopes alive for retaining his much coveted crown. He proved to the world that he, Carlsen that is, is an endgame machine. The final two games will hold this weekend, Saturday/Sunday and for the chess enthusiasts, be ready to burn midnight candles since most of the games takes up the alloted time for the entire game.
We hope to see some brilliant chess plays, but I really doubt we'd see much since the players involved are being too careful for any frivolity.

(1) (Reply)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni On Trial With Coventry City / Cristiano Ronaldo Gives Real Madrid Condition After Atletico Hat-trick / Morata Great Skills At Chelsea Fc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.