Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,767 members, 7,862,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 06:26 PM

Ramsey: Arsenal Wanted Me More Than Utd - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ramsey: Arsenal Wanted Me More Than Utd (325 Views)

Chelsea Couldn't Believe Arsenal Wanted Luiz, Says Cascarino / Aaron Ramsey Unveiled As A Juventus Player And Will Earn £440,000 A Week(photos) / Man City Coach Pep Guardiola Confirms Arsenal Wanted Sterling And Sanchez Swap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ramsey: Arsenal Wanted Me More Than Utd by ishoras(m): 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2016
Ahead of ReUnited this weekend, Aaron Ramsey reveals how Arsene Wenger convinced him to join Arsenal instead of Manchester United...
Manchester United might have been a huge part of Aaron Ramsey's life. As a boy, with his dad Kevin a United fan, he could quite easily have ended up supporting them.
As a player, when Sir Alex Ferguson's champions came calling, he wasn't too far away from signing for them.Instead, it was Cardiff City that became his 'main team'. The team he would watch and support (though I don't think he'd disagree if I suggested there was a bit of affection for United).

Instead, it was Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger who persuaded him - via a private jet - to entrust his development to the North London club.
His childhood memories of the Premier League come from a time when Arsenal and United were out there on their own as the league's dominant forces. From an era when the league's greatest midfield rivalry was raging.
"I always remember it being a tough clash and a massive battle," says Ramsey, who I suspect, understandably given his dad's allegiances, might not have been supporting Arsenal back then.

"[Roy] Keane and [Patrick] Vieira, they would just be at each other from the first minute to the last.

"But they were really exciting games and things like the incidents in the tunnel would (as a kid) get you massively pumped for them."

Really, at just 17, Ramsey was still a kid when, having made waves at Cardiff, he found himself at centre of another battle between two of England's big boys. Both wanted him. The decision was his - Arsenal or United?

"I went up there to see the facilities and I went to see Arsene Wenger," says the midfielder, who was close enough to signing for United for the club to announce it on their website.

In the end, it was Wenger rolling out the red carpet for a young player he rated highly which won the day.
"He did a lot to try and get me to this club. As a 17-year-old, flying out on a private jet to his hotel (in Switzerland for Euro 2008) was surreal but I think I made the right decision.

"I just felt a bit more wanted by Arsenal and by the boss."

(1) (Reply)

#twitterstatechamp - Nigeria States Compete For Sports On Twitter. / Everybody Wants A 48-team World Cup - FIFA President Infantino / Samir Nasri Faces Doping Probe Over Drip Treatment Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.