Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan (4254 Views)

First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) / First Bank To Shut Operations For 5 Days / Dpk In Storage @ N74 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 5:23pm On Nov 05, 2009
hbrednic:

without publish SLS's audit report,how will you know the real facts,to make a sound judgement.

But the fact that all the distressed bank are perpetual and net borrower from the EDW was never contested by the banks is a good premise to build on.  Or, if there were fact that proved this not to be true and as well proved that the so-called not-distressed bank were also net borrower in the EDW. As I said too in my post, Sanusi may wield power, but there are people in there that would have pulled the rug from under his feet if it was a real case of 'pot calling kettle black'.

I agree with you if SLS's report is made public, it would have been great, but I doubt this will happen .
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Austin234(m): 5:45pm On Nov 05, 2009
N74 Billion Bad Loan? That's terrible. Mr Sanusi should swing into action as his image is as stake
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by hbrednic: 5:46pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN:

But the fact that all the distressed bank are perpetual and net borrower from the EDW was never contested by the banks is a good premise to build on.  Or, if there were fact that proved this not to be true and as well proved that the so-called not-distressed bank were also net borrower in the EDW. As I said too in my post, Sanusi may wield power, but there are people in there that would have pulled the rug from under his feet if it was a real case of 'pot calling kettle black'.

the disgraced bankers are talking for now because the case is already in court,i recall sometime ago some members of CBN were dismissed for
objecting SLS's actions.we can never know the truth of who is pepertually glued on EDW without evidence to prove it,not just because Sanusi said so.

I agree with you if SLS's report is made public, it would have been great, but I doubt this will happen .

if we are really for full disclore as Sanusi wants it,then let him open the book for all to see.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by texazzpete(m): 5:47pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN:

I think the crux of the matter is that all banks have bad loans.  But the ratio of the bad loans to capital base and total loan portfolio is what is unbelievably high in the distressed bank that almost tilted them over the edge and turned the to perpetual borrowers in the EDW and hence the CBN intervention.

Now, 1billion bad loan might be enough to cause company A to be distressed and it might take 10billion to get company B in the same situation.  There is no one with magic wand that can be used to ensure no loan granted by his bank will not go bad.  There are conditions out there that can throw all logic and analysis to the gutters.

If conditions for granting these loans in FirstBank were found out not to have followed the best practices (which might not), and their position is as bad as any of the mentioned distressed bank, trust me there are insiders who are loyal to some of the shamed guys that would have blown the whistle.

The good thing we need to take from all that is happening is that bank can at least present to us something closer to their true state henceforth unlike the gimmicks and the more you look the less you see situation of the past.

Exactly!
I'm not an Ibru or an Atuche or a Nwosu. I have nothing to lose or gain from the sack of the CEOs. As a consumer and a Nigerian who has need of a viable banking system, i gain immensely from having my money safe in strong, honest banks that are run professionally. Sanusi's hurricane will hurt at first, but like most good medicine, it's the bitter ones that cure you faster  grin
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 5:49pm On Nov 05, 2009
hbrednic:

the disgraced bankers are talking for now because the case is already in court,i recall sometime ago some members of CBN were dismissed for
objecting SLS's actions.we can never know the truth of who is pepertually glued on EDW without evidence to prove it,not just because Sanusi said so.

Ok.  I am with you on this, with a caveat. And that is, there are stunts he could never try to pull irrespective of his power, therefore, most of these cases are never going to be an 'open and close' ones. My summary is that, there are substantial circumstantial evidence that these banks are having issues - and they are they ones most hit by bad loans.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by hbrednic: 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN:

Ok. I am with you on this.
thank you my brother lets just wish our country and the economy well.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2009
bawomolo:

You guys are paranoid.

not all the loans were given out during sanusi's short tenure.

is he the one responsible for approving loans?

I do not know what you are driving at here .

A man was chief risk officer (Executive director) for 3yrs plus and GMD for 6 months and your are still asking these questions?

May be you want to find out what an ED RISK MGT does in any bank before we talk on this again. No be him dey approve loan may be na me?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 6:00pm On Nov 05, 2009
hbrednic:

thank you my brother lets just wish our country and the economy well.

Sorry, I edited my post after, but it still in line with what we are talking about, I wish our country and economy well  too.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 6:12pm On Nov 05, 2009
SGN:

But the fact that all the distressed bank are perpetual and net borrower from the EDW was never contested by the banks is a good premise to build on.

Or, if there were fact that proved this not to be true and as well proved that the so-called not-distressed bank were also net borrower in the EDW. As I said too in my post, Sanusi may wield power, but there are people in there that would have pulled the rug from under his feet if it was a real case of 'pot calling kettle black'.

Who in the banks would have contested it? Is it the new appointed MD's of the banks who are working for Sanusi?. Yes the EDW talk may have been true, but remember that SLS said after the 5 banks ,he did not expect anything extraordinary from the second set of banks audited . why? because he was sure the EDW had told the story of the stress points in the industry. So what happened to second set of banks?

Its either the data upon which the first audit was done was incomplete(therefore unreliable) or there was no data at all.

Lets call for accountability and fairness at all levels.

If the Aresekolas and OtudekoS that own FBN are bad debtors in other banks, who knows what they are covering up FBN?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 6:29pm On Nov 05, 2009
na_so:

Yes the EDW  talk may have been true, but remember that SLS said after the 5 banks ,he did not expect anything extraordinary from the second set of banks audited . why? because he was sure the EDW had told the story of the stress points in the industryup FBN?

If this was true, then this

na_so:

Its either the data upon which the first audit was done was incomplete(therefore unreliable) or there was no data at all.

definitely is a sound argument. and therefore this

na_so:

Lets call for accountability and fairness at all levels.

has a merit that deserve the backing of everyone that preach justice.  I am with you on it.

However, as I alluded to in my response to hbrednic comments on the same post, I believe these banks actually made the rod for their own back, and Sanusi could never have tried a stunt of this scale without some untoward conduct from the affeted banks.  Other banks with bad loans (but not on the list), FirstBank inclusive will definitely have a plausible way of explaining their way out of the 'cess', while the badly affected banks will not have such luxury because they are much deeper in it. That is the golden excuse that gives Sanusi an edge in this.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by hbrednic: 6:45pm On Nov 05, 2009
please did any of you listened to FBN's confrence call today?
may be we can take one or two things from there.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by kafanchan: 7:01pm On Nov 05, 2009
ALL OF UNA DEY CRAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!! PROSANUSI AND ANTISANUSI ALL OF UNA DEY MAD. PRO SANUSI DEY CRAZE BECAUSE DEM NEVA STILL FIT STILL SAY THE MAN IS CORRUPT AND BIAS. E BE LIKE SAY NA WHEN THE MAN LOOT OUR TREASURY NA IM UNA GO KNOW SAY THE MAN NO BE AM.

ALL OF UNA WEY DEY YAB SANUSI NOW, UNA FATHER !!! WHERE UNA DEY ABOUT TWO TO THREE WEEKS AGO WHEN I DEY SHOUT FOR THIS NOBLE FORUM SAY SANUSI HAD BEEF WITH THOSE MD THAT IS WHY HE SACKED THEM, I TALK SAY FIRST BANK , UBA AND ZENITH GET BAD LOANSS TOO. SHEY ALL OF UNA DEY YAB ME THEN SAY I DEY RELATED TO DEM IBRU. UNA NEVER SEE ANYTHING. DEM TALK 75B BAD LOAN UNA DEY HALLA ABI, NO WORRY, BY THE TIME UNA HEAR LATER SAY THE REAL FIGURE NA OVER 200BN, UNA GO FAINT.

SHEY UNA HEAR SAY SANUSI WAN (DON) HAND OVER ETB BACK TO ADENUGA?

WE MUMU FOR THIS COUNTRY NO BE SMALL, WE JUST DEY CLAIM SAY WE GO SCHOOL, NA FEW OF US DEY REASON. SANUSI AND CO DEY USE US DEY DO KALOKALO AND WE DEY HAIL AM, HE DEY AVENGE HIM ENEMIES AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR ECONOMY AND WE DEY SAY "CARRY GO".

MAKE UNA YAB ME WELL. THE MORE U YAB ME, THE MORE I WILL PROVE TO YOU THAT SANUSI IS NOT A SAINT.

I DEY HEAR SOME OLODO DEY TALK SAY SANUSI JUST SPENT 6 MTH FOR FIRST BANK MD. IF U NO KNOW BANKING , KEEP QUIET INSTEAD OF EXPOSING YOUR FOLLY IN PUBLIC.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by naso2(m): 7:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
@kafanchan

You self get malaria , if you think say na only you see and talk say SLS no dey do the job professionally. grin grin
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by kafanchan: 7:12pm On Nov 05, 2009
na_so:

@kafanchan

You self get malaria , if you think say na only you see and talk say SLS no dey do the job professionally. grin grin

NO VEX
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by SGN(m): 7:16pm On Nov 05, 2009
kafanchan:

ALL OF UNA DEY CRAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!! PROSANUSI AND ANTISANUSI ALL OF UNA DEY MAD. PRO SANUSI DEY CRAZE BECAUSE DEM NEVA STILL FIT STILL SAY THE MAN IS CORRUPT AND BIAS. E BE LIKE SAY NA WHEN THE MAN LOOT OUR TREASURY NA IM UNA GO KNOW SAY THE MAN NO BE AM.

ALL OF UNA WEY DEY YAB SANUSI NOW, UNA FATHER !!! WHERE UNA DEY ABOUT TWO TO THREE WEEKS AGO WHEN I DEY SHOUT FOR THIS NOBLE FORUM SAY SANUSI HAD BEEF WITH THOSE MD THAT IS WHY HE SACKED THEM, I TALK SAY FIRST BANK , UBA AND ZENITH GET BAD LOANSS TOO. SHEY ALL OF UNA DEY YAB ME THEN SAY I DEY RELATED TO DEM IBRU. UNA NEVER SEE ANYTHING. DEM TALK 75B BAD LOAN UNA DEY HALLA ABI, NO WORRY, BY THE TIME UNA HEAR LATER SAY THE REAL FIGURE NA OVER 200BN, UNA GO FAINT.

SHEY UNA HEAR SAY SANUSI WAN (DON) HAND OVER ETB BACK TO ADENUGA?

WE MUMU FOR THIS COUNTRY NO BE SMALL, WE JUST DEY CLAIM SAY WE GO SCHOOL, NA FEW OF US DEY REASON. SANUSI AND CO DEY USE US DEY DO KALOKALO AND WE DEY HAIL AM, HE DEY AVENGE HIM ENEMIES AT THE EXPENSE OF OUR ECONOMY AND WE DEY SAY "CARRY GO".

MAKE UNA YAB ME WELL. THE MORE U YAB ME, THE MORE I WILL PROVE TO YOU THAT SANUSI IS NOT A SAINT.

I DEY HEAR SOME OLODO DEY TALK SAY SANUSI JUST SPENT 6 MTH FOR FIRST BANK MD. IF U NO KNOW BANKING , KEEP QUIET INSTEAD OF EXPOSING YOUR FOLLY IN PUBLIC.

@kafanchan

When you write in all caps, it means you are shouting. And when you put tenses like you did it is pretty difficult to follow.  If you have an argument to present please do so and lets people contribute.  This is an open space where the aim is not for everyone to agree to your opinion because its not practical, but instead for us all have a richer knowledge about the subject matter and learn more.  So people have disagreed with you in the past, and people will still do.    

If you have facts, and sources that you can expose, go on and do so.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by realmen: 9:43pm On Nov 05, 2009
Fellow nairalanders, one question we need to first answer is. Is bad loan the same as non-performing loan. NO.
N74m bad loan if it is true means there are still huge some under non-performing loan.
When a loan account does not witness inflow or repayment for a period of 3 months 10% provision is made for it and it is classified as substandard. 6 months 50% provision is made and it is classified as doubtful or non performing. 1 year it is regarded as lost and thus become bad loan 100% provisionis made on it,
No bank is without bad loan or non-performing loans. All these so called healthy banks have huge figures too but cbn has decided to hide it from us. All these will be known in due course.

You remember the news sometime last month about how sls advised some md's to withdraw from the discount window of cbn before he striked.
Let's wait as courts rule on these issues.
We shall continue praying for better nigeria. Better economy. And fire burn the bad people.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by rasputinn(m): 10:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
Hmm hmm hmm,this doesn't sound good at all,Sanusi what happened here
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by PapaBrowne(m): 10:55pm On Nov 05, 2009
When Sanusi is through with blinding you guys, it would be too late for you to realise that the whole banking crises was created for a purpose.

Little by little, the Sanusi would be unravelled. His ill intentions would become so obvious to Nigerians and Nairalanders(very slow people) and they would start crying fowl. By then it would be too late.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by OvieE: 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2009
Work in progress if you know what I meant.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by OYBMEND: 12:32am On Nov 06, 2009
PapaBrowne:

When Sanusi is through with blinding you guys, it would be too late for you to realise that the whole banking crises was created for a purpose.

Little by little, the Sanusi would be unravelled. His ill intentions would become so obvious to Nigerians and Nairalanders(very slow people) and they would start crying fowl. By then it would be too late.

It will be too late when Nigerians will wake from their slumber
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by dkings101(m): 12:44am On Nov 06, 2009
He can open tat his smelling mouth to say "Shareholders of the eight banks as automatically lost there investors" then what happen to first bank investor. Now every1 can see that is approach for the sacking of the Bank CEO was political and northern agenda. He even had skeleton in his cupboard and he is worried about others. Pls make una no forfeit my money oo if una no wan make God punish una. Stupid CBN and Nigerian Govt, Bleep up Nigeria and there ideology.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by paddylo1(m): 3:32am On Nov 06, 2009
All banks everywhere in the world tend to have a rise in bad loans and non=performing loans during a recession, so this is not really an issue, the issue is if the bank has enough tier one and tier 2 capital ratios to overcome the problem till the recession is over, seems to me that first bank is adequately capitalized, and the bailed out banks were not, SLS while he may be a litttle rough around the edges seems to be on the right track,
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by mbulela: 4:40am On Nov 06, 2009
2nd page and Suraj is no where to be found?
bros, you are slacking o!!
come and defend your hero.

i have a simple question and i will appreciate answers from the house;

so they were not making provisions for the loans in the past?
is that negligence or presenting an incomplete and deceptive picture of performance?
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Nignog: 5:42am On Nov 06, 2009
There are banks in Nigeria? I thought everyone just used Western Union.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Remii(m): 5:56am On Nov 06, 2009
Nignog:

There are banks in Nigeria? I thought everyone just used Western Union.

No there are no banks in Nigeria, everyone uses "Esusu", "Baba Alajo" or undermat safes, Orhuwhe, lol.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by DonUmeh(m): 8:19am On Nov 06, 2009
At last our prayer is now working against Sanusi. First Bank's bad loan is begining to surface.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Remii(m): 8:55am On Nov 06, 2009
Don Umeh:

At last our prayer is now working against Sanusi. First Bank's bad loan is begining to surface.

I don't know what you mean by your prayer and who are the praying with you, FBN is about 6 times bigger that Oceanic, how do you compare N74bn total toxic with N34bn Madam Cecilia gave her son's nanny alone and almost 1/2trillion theyall gave Ololo to buy their own stocks and fairy tale prices. All said Sanusi never called himself a saint and banks always give loan with expectations that some may go bad, it becomes an issue when decorum is through to winds
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Remii(m): 9:07am On Nov 06, 2009
dkings101:

He can open tat his smelling mouth to say "Shareholders of the eight banks as automatically lost there investors" then what happen to first bank investor. Now every1 can see that is approach for the sacking of the Bank CEO was political and northern agenda. He even had skeleton in his cupboard and he is worried about others. Pls make una no forfeit my money oo if una no wan make God punish una. Stupid CBN and Nigerian Govt, mess up Nigeria and there ideology.

My friend if you had bought Oceanic, UBN, Afribank, ICB and PHB shares at N22, N30, N22, N34, N17 respectively and they are all worth less that N2 now, when do you hope to recoup your investment. Meanwhile FBN, GTB etc are are doing good and paying dividends so let be object and alllow some people to fix this Quatry (country) We complain of bad government and underdevelopment but abhor harsh realities.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by alhajiy2k(m): 9:52am On Nov 06, 2009
You guys should know that its the business of banks to give out loans. And that bad loans are quite different from loans given without collateral and against due process. Did the report say that the loans  were given illegally as it is with the other banks or that they are just non performing?  : grin
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by danvik: 11:08am On Nov 06, 2009
All banks in Nigeria and all over d world hav bad loans, it's not somethin to be cried over, it's how it's being managed dat we shld be concerned about, i think First Bank shld be given kudo for wat they did, it's about the most honest bank in d country as it is and quite profitable too, despite all dis u need to know the quality of the dividend the Bank recently shared, it's d greatest Bank in Naija as of today, and next year wld be quite awesome for the Bank, d opportunity is boundless, wink
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by Segbu: 11:13am On Nov 06, 2009
what most of us dont realise is that this bad loan started majorly from the time that the nigeria stock market started coming down and that is just about a year ago, and so the question of provision that pple expected to have started long ago shouldn't come.

However,my problem with this whole thing is not their so called provision now but this banks gross earnings that is still increaseing even when the economy is going down, which biz  and credit are they doing that is even more than the  period of economy boom of year '06 and '07. please i need an answer some one should please help me. or are they investing abroad ? even if that is what they are doing the returns over there is very low.
Re: First Bank Reports N74 Billion Bad Loan by kokorunna(m): 3:06pm On Nov 06, 2009
Na all the time they are reporting bad loans, the country is corrupted to the CORE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Steps To Starting A Successful Business In Nigeria / Websites, Apps And Accounts OTP Verification Services / Where Can I Buy Original Sumec Generator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.