Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos (4890 Views)

Eight-Year-Old Girl Tests Positive To Lassa Fever In Gombe / 19,396 Test HIV Positive In Niger State – Perm Sec / Nigerian Soldier Tests Positive For Ebola In Liberia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Seun(m): 7:51am On Nov 05, 2009
The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed that the first case of the dreaded Swine Flu (H1N1) has been recorded in Nigeria.

A statement signed by the Special Assistant (Communi-cation) to the minister, Mr. Niyi Ojuolape, yesterday said: “The first case of the Influenza A (H1N1) otherwise known as Swine Flu has been reported in Nigeria of a nine-year-old American girl who resides in Lagos.

The girl had manifested symptoms suspected to be those of swine flu such as fever, sore throat, nasal congestion and nausea, and had been taken to the American Consular clinic in Lagos.

Before treatment was admitted to her, nasal specimens were taken for routine tests.

“Subsequently, the girl recovered fully with symptomatic treatment after five days of duration of illness,” the statement said.

Ojuolape said sequel to the discovery, medical checks were performed on other members of the girl’s household and the students of the school she attends but none tested positive to the disease.

The girl’s mother was said to have had mild symptoms of the disease but had recovered fully, while all others who had regular contacts with the girl were tested and found negative.

The Lagos State Ministry of Health whose domain the first case of the flu was recorded was said to have carried out surveillance, performing medical checks and screening residents but has not discovered any other victim.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=158989
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 05, 2009
This is not good, not a good news at all.

"While others are found negative". . . . . riiiight!!
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by SeanT21(f): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2009
I hope they get the vaccines before more citizens start testing positive.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by arsenal4va(m): 8:08am On Nov 05, 2009
very bad news , but i guess it was inevitable
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by donjon: 8:11am On Nov 05, 2009
@ least, d chance of survival is very high!
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by timpaker(m): 8:12am On Nov 05, 2009
sad sad sad hey yaaaaaaaaaa! sad sad sad
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 05, 2009
hmm. . . na wa o undecided
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by delegiwa(m): 8:38am On Nov 05, 2009
For me, anybody wey come from Lagos is definitely a "No Go Area" for me. All you Lagosians, please stay away from me. Holy Ghost --- Fire!!!!
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by cecegorz(m): 8:46am On Nov 05, 2009
@OP

The strange thing here is where and how did the kid contact it since all known and tested individuals around her tested negative.

I suggest they go back and test all the animals the American kid has come in contact with, including dogs , pigs, birds, even rats. those kids can go on kissing all manner of animals in the name of pets. shocked shocked shocked

Now, Lagos, are we ready to contain the spread.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 05, 2009
Its the Caucasians who always export diseases to Africa. . .
Same happened in the case of HIV. . . I just hope there are no other victims in my Dear Lagos undecided
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Suntemi(m): 9:12am On Nov 05, 2009
delegiwa:

For me, anybody wey come from Lagos is definitely a "No Go Area" for me. All you Lagosians, please stay away from me. Holy Ghost --- Fire!!!!

grin grin grin grin

Guy, the report said others tested Negative. Why Holy Ghost Fire again?
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by phuckNL: 9:27am On Nov 05, 2009
jassie:

Its the Caucasians who always export diseases to Africa. . .
Same happened in the case of HIV. . . I just hope there are no other victims in my Dear Lagos undecided

Excuse my stupidity but are all americans Caucasians? Does american girl automatically translate to caucasian girl?
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by lovemoi2(f): 9:32am On Nov 05, 2009
phuck_NL:

Excuse my stupidity but are all americans Caucasians? Does american girl automatically translate to caucasian girl?

tell him hahaha grin
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by lovemoi2(f): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2009
God help nigeria
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by sammytb(m): 9:35am On Nov 05, 2009
NA waoooooooooo
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by delegiwa(m): 9:39am On Nov 05, 2009
sun_temi:

grin grin grin grin

Guy, the report said others tested Negative. Why Holy Ghost Fire again?

Ol boy, I need it to be doubly sure. You can never joke with such things man.

I suggest you use same grin
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by lionphil(m): 9:46am On Nov 05, 2009
o' boy before i dey go lagos go search for job. i no dey go anywhere again, i go remain for me house. hey Nigeria don finish last days don come oooo make una repent
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Nobody: 9:57am On Nov 05, 2009
phuck_NL:

phuck you. . . hehehe. . . she is a caucasian
lovemoi2:

tell him hahaha grin
phuck you too grin
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by hackney(m): 10:05am On Nov 05, 2009
No black fatality so far worldwide.
These little flu things have ben swirling around african for all time.
doesnt bother african blacks that much ; natural (hardened) immunity and all that.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by lahips: 10:07am On Nov 05, 2009
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by GTay(m): 10:08am On Nov 05, 2009
In My Opinion,

We've all had swine flu at certain times in our lives grin
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by sleak(m): 10:22am On Nov 05, 2009
@op,
nothing do us with yemkem,ogaga,oko oloyun et al around,lagosians av got nothing to worry about.
swine flu has got nothing on "agbo" grin grin grin
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by snowdrops(m): 10:32am On Nov 05, 2009
for me there is no panic here. swine flu is not as deadly as the media has potrayed. seasonal flu still kills far more people than swine flu does. most people with the illness recover with or without treatment. besides i am 99.9% sure that swine flu is defintely more wide spread in nigeria than people realize. our health system is too poor to detect the extent of its spread.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by renntin: 10:52am On Nov 05, 2009
The begining of the end. Swine flu is nothing but, figure it ot yourself. Knowledge is power. Get the vaccine and you are doomed.
http://www.goodnewsaboutgod.com/studies/medical/swine_flu.htm.
Watch the following videos on youtube
1. swine flu conspiracy .
2. Fall of the republic.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by vwvw(m): 11:23am On Nov 05, 2009
yes it is not as bad as the media reports, but if poorly controlled could reach pandemic proportions. the WHO has already raised the alert to 6; the highest possible level. Now Lagosians should gear-up for the surgiical masks. I dare say by monday the streets will be flooded with medical paraphernalia, Eko o ni baje
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by wunmilyn(f): 11:31am On Nov 05, 2009
sleak:

@op,
nothing do us with yemkem,ogaga,oko oloyun et al around,lagosians av got nothing to worry about.
swine flu has got nothing on "agbo" grin grin grin

grin  grin  grin  grin  grin
i was kind of panicing b/f , but ur post gave me a bit relief   cheesy  cheesy . . . . .
no shaking!!!!! infact make flu carry all hin family come
i no fear.  yemkem, yoyo biter, oroki, aporo iku, name dem . , . am not afraid.  cheesy  cheesy
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Nobody: 12:02pm On Nov 05, 2009
Finally. 

I had written an article in my head where I had mused:If swine flu migrates into Nigeria,what would be the lot of us?

Somehow,some of the latest deadly diseases have found a way of respecting the shores of Nigeria.SARS never made
it to Nigeria.Or if it did,it prolly came in the silence of the night that nobody noticed its triumphal entry.

With the first case of swine flu on our shores,caution must be exercised.

Thank God,though, there is a vaccine.But when would these get to Nigeria? And would these be accessible to the people
in the slums of Diobu in Port Harcourt and Ajegunle in Lagos?
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Epiphany(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2009
hackney:

No black fatality so far worldwide.
These little flu things have ben swirling around african for all time.
doesnt bother african blacks that much ; natural (hardened) immunity and all that.

grin DUDE, you know i wanted to say that before. . . that this swine flu does not affect the real Africans.
People in Europe, Asia, North and South America have tested and died from this thing but we have not heard about any cases or death from Black Africa. Maybe we are really immune. Hahahahaha cheesy
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by renntin: 12:26pm On Nov 05, 2009
If it is 'swine flu', why are pigs not affected in any way? We were led to believe that it broke out in Mexico on a pig farm, but, apart from the idiotic Egyptian government ordering an immediate mass culling of pigs, the porkies have never got a mention since. If it is not swine flu, which it isn't, how could it have emerged from a pig farm in Mexico?

The United Nations food agency said there was no justification for culling pigs or limiting their movements as there was no evidence the virus affected pigs or made their meat dangerous. Yes, because it is nothing to do with pigs - it has been made in a laboratory.

http://www.davidicke.com/content/view/26440
Educate your mind!.
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by Jeovy(m): 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2009
abeg ooooooooooooooo
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2009
We can only pray, because in this dung of a country, they would rather spend on FIFA events that they make huge losses on and no profits what-so-ever than to improve on healthcare delivery and disease control and emergency initiatives.

In 2007 Lagos, a white mist hovered within 5-6ft from Sagamu all the way to lekki and people breathed this unknown substance until it cleared a day later. It was not uptill the next day, they authorities announced it was caused by burning from the pile of rubbish at the dumpsite

We all took in that shit and if it was swine flu then, we'd all be dead with no hope for recovery
Re: Swine Flu In Nigeria: Girl Tests Positive In Lagos by ud4u: 12:45pm On Nov 05, 2009
This is a very sad news to this country, a country where any body is free to come in from any corners at any time without checking.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Magical Healing Effect Of ONIONS!!!..... A Must Read!! / Healthy Way To Slim Down Fast / Testimony Of Buyer Of Self Heating Knee Protector

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.